Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Problem

I just found out that ebay no longer returns the reserve payments even if your item sells for the reserve price. By the time you pay almost $3 for a reserve item, final value fees, and paypal fees, you might as well just give the item away. I think this is a very greedy practice and will not sell anything else there until this practice is resinded.

If this is too radical an opinion, please just delete.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Default ebay

I agree with you..they are making a mint off sellers..and I have written them 7 times about the new feeback policy, that sellers can only leave positive feedback for a buyer...but they can leave anything they want about us..oh they may have to wait 3 days, but that lets them fester longer...I do love the money I can make on ebay, but I think they are getting carried away with all the fees..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, by the time you pay $2.90 for the initial fee, then the final value fee, then the paypal fee--there is not much left.

I think I am all through selling there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

It really does stink how they keep upping the fees (and don't even get me started on the PayPal side of it). I've pretty much decided that I'm only doing fixed priced selling from here on out...
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I have never sold anything here on SCS, but I have bought several stamp sets and have had wonderful experiences. I may get brave and sell some sets here, but until then, I'll definitely continue buying here. Just a thought....

Edited to add: I should add that I have been an Ebay girl for several years and have had good luck there as a buyer and seller. With the higher Ebay seller fees, though, I'm considering giving selling on SCS a chance.

Last edited by christinesmom2004; 03-19-2008 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Additional comments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by christinesmom2004View Post
I have never sold anything here on SCS, but I have bought several stamp sets and have had wonderful experiences. I may get brave and sell some sets here, but until then, I'll definitely continue buying here. Just a thought....
I love selling on SCS, however I don't always get alot of bites here, whereas I can put something on Ebay, and people bite rather quickly. I think on Ebay you have people who aren't aware that there is a site like SCS out there so they do all of their buying on Ebay instead.

Last edited by ScrappinMomma75; 03-19-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: didn't like the wording
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinMomma75View Post
I love selling on SCS, however I don't always get alot of bites here, whereas I can put something on Ebay, and people bite rather quickly. I think on Ebay you have people who aren't aware that there is a site like SCS out there so they do all of their buying on Ebay instead.
Can you believe there are people out there who DON'T know about SCS....so sad

I agree that items move quickly on Ebay. I think that's one of the biggest reasons people are willing to deal with the fee increases and feedback changes of late.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah!View Post
It really does stink how they keep upping the fees (and don't even get me started on the PayPal side of it). I've pretty much decided that I'm only doing fixed priced selling from here on out...
I've never sold using the fixed price option. Are there fewer fees this way? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by larueView Post
I just found out that ebay no longer returns the reserve payments even if your item sells for the reserve price. By the time you pay almost $3 for a reserve item, final value fees, and paypal fees, you might as well just give the item away. I think this is a very greedy practice and will not sell anything else there until this practice is resinded.

If this is too radical an opinion, please just delete.
I've never used the reserve feature because of that reason.....easier to just have a higher starting price. $2 for the reserve fee is just too much if your item is only $25 or less!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I would love to know the best way to sell now as I refuse to spend $3 to list an item and then pay final value and paypal fees on top of that. I have sold lots and lots of things before this price increase and was very happy with ebay--not any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by christinesmom2004View Post
I've never sold using the fixed price option. Are there fewer fees this way? Thanks!
You actually pay something like 10 cents more for listing, but it's still cheaper than having a reserve price! And frankly, if I'm going to the trouble of selling it on eBay then it has to be over $10 to make it worth my time. HTH!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for this info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

eBay did lower the insertion fees by 5 cents and they made gallery pictures free, so if you used to list with a gallery picture you save 40 cents now, of course they made up for it in the final value fees. For those of us that list a lot of items that may go unsold this is a big savings. Not so for people who sell things like stamps sets and iPods where every listing sells.

You don't have to use the fixed price option to ensure that you get a fair price for your stamp sets. Just list them at a regular auction (no fixed price and no reserve)for the lowest amount you are willing to take. If people want it bad enough they will bid it up to a higher price if not you sell it for the price you wanted. Granted starting a set at $9.99 will get more interest than one priced at $23.95 but you set a fixed price on SCS and it doesn't get bid up any higher. And you will get bids when the auctions that started at 99 cents get bid up to $29.95, your set will look pretty good.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yeah, I just went through selling some items on ebay, and I have to say WHAT a headache. I dont remember having to pay those fees in the past! Last time I sold anything on ebay was in 2001, obviously things have changed since then! I will probably not be doing any selling on ebay again. Buying, well, thats another story. I will probably stick to selling stamps here as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 04:45 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I'm pretty disappointed in the new higher final value fees. I listed several sets here for weeks and got no bites, but was able to sell them on eBay, but the fees are a killer. I've been selling on eBay since 1999 so it's kind of hard to stop. I sell more than just stamps. I've tried Craigslist, but you get so much more exposure with eBay. I'm torn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I just had a nightmare on ebay. My item sold, but the seller could not pay as instructed in the item. So I offered her several other options and she agreed, then the next day she said she was scared to use the other options because it wasn't done directly though ebay, so I was probably trying to scam her (duh! if she wanted to pay through ebay she would have to pay using the option listed in the item.) Anyway, I finally found a way she said she was comfortable with and I didn't hear from her for 2 days. Then she emailed saying she couldn't buy the item from me because she'd already purchased it from another seller. Okay, fine, then I have to report her as a Non Paying Bidder and she will get a strike. She begged me not to report her. I agreed as long as she agreed to pay all the fees associated with the item. Nope! She couldn't do that. So I jumped through all the Ebay hoops to report her (including waiting over 2 weeks... so she would have a chance to pay). I finally was able to re-list the item (because I had to wait until the Non-Paying Bidder complaint was finalized or they wouldn't refund the listing fees). However, they insist I didn't list it the 'right' way (I relisted it as I followed the steps posted on their site, to make sure I was doing it exactly right.) so they refused to refund my fees! For an item that didn't even sell! I was so mad! I continued to complain and they finally refunded some of the fee, but I was still out. It still makes my blood boil to think of it. Not only was I cheated by a non-paying bidder, Ebay made me pay for it. Ridiculous!

When the item did sell, I had to pay for the fees again...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #17  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I think ebay may see a lot more sellers leaving although probably never enough to make them change their greedy ways. I know some of the people here have switched to a different storefront because of all the fees and crap. Just because they were the first to be successful doesn't mean that another site/method couldn't put a huge dent in their business by offering the same types of services for less fees. They don't own the concept of on-line auctions. You know the CEO of Ebay is stepping down or just did. Makes you wonder.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 03:17 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is unfortunate that ebay can charge whatever they want as there is no strong competition against them. If there were, then their prices would drop. Even though there are sellers leaving everyday, there are also new ones everyday. i keep getting the "free listing" emails for new sellers. I never sold on ebay and do not plan on starting. To much of a hassle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipperc98View Post
Yeah, I just went through selling some items on ebay, and I have to say WHAT a headache. I dont remember having to pay those fees in the past! Last time I sold anything on ebay was in 2001, obviously things have changed since then! I will probably not be doing any selling on ebay again. Buying, well, thats another story. I will probably stick to selling stamps here as well!

Yes, but regardless of whether you are a demo or not, you are NOT allowed to sell current stamp sets here on SCS.

Which is why I take my current stuff to Ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30View Post
Yes, but regardless of whether you are a demo or not, you are NOT allowed to sell current stamp sets here on SCS.

Which is why I take my current stuff to Ebay.
If you are a demo, I don't think you can sell current items on ebay either. And you have to wait a year before you can sell retired one. I think that is the way I understand it in the manual.

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jguyebyView Post
If you are a demo, I don't think you can sell current items on ebay either. And you have to wait a year before you can sell retired one. I think that is the way I understand it in the manual.
I'm not a demo, so it doesn't matter.

Ebay just works better for my needs than SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you are not a demo, are there any legalities to selling SU sets, current or expired?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjboatrightView Post
If you are not a demo, are there any legalities to selling SU sets, current or expired?
Selling on Ebay? No.
Reply With Quote Likes