Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Spellbinder dies dirt cheap

Right now Michaels have most of their Spellbinder dies discontinued at 80% off. Folders normally $6-7 are going for $1.19. $20 dies for $3.99. Got a few dies for $1.39. Menifee store has largest amount. Go check it out today. Sale has been on for over a week.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I was coming to share the same info and you beat me to it. Nothing is marked in our stores with the exception of one that had two sets in a bin marked 80% off. That made me curious when I realized that they are no longer carrying spellbinders on Michaels.com( and obviously Michaels stores will not be carrying them forward either) so I went back to the store (well.... truthfully 5 stores) and started scanning all the dies. Every set was 80% off except a few sets that were clearanced last year and must have been found in a back room and those came up $1.79 and $2.49. I then checked cuttlebug folders that were no longer on the floor planogram and discovered yet more bargains. Most of my stores still have tons of dies due to no identifying sale signs. I also discovered a few Tim Holtz dies for 80% off but left without those.

I had a lot of fun and felt so happy with my finds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Cool Good shopping news

Glad you got some good bargains. Can't believe how cheap they are going for. What area of the country do you live in? I am in S. Calif. (I have to stop shopping).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I am in Colorado. I love that all Michaels have put scanners in their stores now - makes it so easy to discover these finds. I don't understand why they would take the Spellbinders from full price to 80% off, with no markdowns in between unless there were and we simply didn't know it. I did find some cuttlebug folders on the floor at Joanns recently and they were on final markdown but the store had failed to ticket any of them at any point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Checking around the local stores ie Joanns and Hobby Lobby they all seem to be clearance on Spellbinder things. Even on-line K-mart and WalMart have them on clearance. I sent today a note to Spellbinder asking what their future looks like and am anxious for a reply. I can't see its for lack of interest. We here have monthly clubs and conventions several times a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Hobby Lobby clearances out all their basic die sets last summer and have a very small assortment of D-lites. Joanns did a reset here last month and they do have a fair selection, quite a few d-lites also. Michaels has a handful of dies that I think are Sizzix. It looks like they are getting rid of embossing folders too. Our shopping choices in Denver are limited to those big box stores and I think there is one, maybe two independent stores In Colorado, none in Denver. My shopping could be severely curtailed and be online only soon. I know that is actually a good thing.

I will be watching to see if you receive a reply from Spellbinders and what they have to say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Glad you are able to get Spellbinders dies at Mike's. My Mike's have not carried any Spellbinders dies in about a year now.

I had a cashier radio a manager. Was told if we have it, they would be out on the floor. Nice response, Mike's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 01:45 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

My Mike's has had them marked down, (not by much), for sometime. I need to go by and look and see what they are at now. I will scoop up as many as I can. I love spellbinders and I don't know why these stores have chosen not to carry them. Hobby Lobby stopped carrying major dies really, but all of the Grand Calibur dies has not been carried for a while. HL will carry the inspire smaller and less expensive dies.

It's really weird how they arbitrarily discontinue carrying things. The thing is, from what I can tell is that manual die cutting has far from diminished. I will say that certain dies, have been cheaper online and since they are lighter usually, shipping and handling also keeps the prices down.

Thanks for the heads up. I've stayed out of the stores since I've been trying to get completely moved and settled in. Shopping is the last thing on my mind temporarily any way.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=Denverkat276;20982671]My Mike's has had them marked down, (not by much), for sometime. I need to go by and look and see what they are at now. I will scoop up as many as I can. I love spellbinders and I don't know why these stores have chosen not to carry them. Hobby Lobby stopped carrying major dies really, but all of the Grand Calibur dies has not been carried for a while. HL will carry the inspire smaller and less expensive dies.

Denverkat276 - which store do you live near? The store by SwPlaza has them hanging on a back end cap and the store near Alameda has them sitting in a corner in a couple of bins. I was also in the Highlands Ranch store, County line and Colorado Blvd. There were only two sets left at the County Line store whereas the other stores still had nearly everything left. I only saw three different sets of Grand Caliburs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the "enabling". I went to my local Michaels ( Zumbhel Rd- St. Charles, MO) and found lots of Cuttlebug embossing folders. I took the advice from an above post and scanned them. The tags were all full price but they were anywhere from .59 to .99 a piece. The animal print 4 pk was $1.79. I bought 9 pkgs for $8.61! When the gal was ringing up my order she went to her headpiece communication thing and said, "Deborah pull all the Cuttlebug embossing folders from the end cap". I have no idea why she said that. So not sure you will find anymore at this store. There really were only about 6 pkgs left. I took one of each that they had. They did not have any dies or anything else. Their "Make it" section was 50 to 60% off. Lots of neat cork stuff in the selection. There was a lot of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyduoView Post
Thanks for the "enabling". I went to my local Michaels ( Zumbhel Rd- St. Charles, MO) and found lots of Cuttlebug embossing folders. I took the advice from an above post and scanned them. The tags were all full price but they were anywhere from .59 to .99 a piece. The animal print 4 pk was $1.79. I bought 9 pkgs for $8.61! When the gal was ringing up my order she went to her headpiece communication thing and said, "Deborah pull all the Cuttlebug embossing folders from the end cap". I have no idea why she said that. So not sure you will find anymore at this store. There really were only about 6 pkgs left. I took one of each that they had. They did not have any dies or anything else. Their "Make it" section was 50 to 60% off. Lots of neat cork stuff in the selection. There was a lot of stuff.
She was probably planning to buy them.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I'm definitely heading to Michaels tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I just wanted to add that Spellbinderspaperarts is having a 70% off sale and there are about 100 items listed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Wonder what's going on with SB? Are they going out of business?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by misschameleonView Post
Checking around the local stores ie Joanns and Hobby Lobby they all seem to be clearance on Spellbinder things. Even on-line K-mart and WalMart have them on clearance. I sent today a note to Spellbinder asking what their future looks like and am anxious for a reply. I can't see its for lack of interest. We here have monthly clubs and conventions several times a year.
I just went online to Walmart, and things were marked down a couple to $3 but no more..... not any cheaper.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Michaels is now selling the spellbinders for 90% off and some of the stores still have decent selections because the stores do not have signs on them. I found a few Sizzix marked 90% off too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2015, 12:39 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I went to several Michaels and either couldn't find a trace of them or one display was empty because one customer had them pull all in stock for her. I did complain to the manager as it's not fair they sell multiples of the same design to one customer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2015, 05:10 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingView Post
I went to several Michaels and either couldn't find a trace of them or one display was empty because one customer had them pull all in stock for her. I did complain to the manager as it's not fair they sell multiples of the same design to one customer.
That stinks!. I know that I was in one store on Friday night and they had at least 80 dies hanging on pegs with no signage. I didn't need any so left empty-handed. The next day I had to exchange a frame and checked that section out of curiosity and it looked like it had been ravaged. There was nothing left but an old pull tag and some trash. Not a single spellbinder or cuttlebug folder AND still no signs. I just know that someone cam win and bought every single pack and we will see them on ebay soon. If you check ebay it has been flooded with dies that were included on this sale but I laugh because many of them are going for low, low prices.

I like to share bargains, not scoop them up to "rob" my fellow crafters. To each his own I suppose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the tip. I just placed an order. I have wanted some of these that happened to be on sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Sorry you had to go thru that Ching. I originally posted this so many can take advantage of the sale. I could have bought them all and put them as you say on Ebay but that is not my style. I too wanted to share with fellow crafters. Just keep your eyes out for other good deals and let us know? I do have the scalloped heart set of 6 duplicate I can sell for $1.99 + postage if you want it? It is S4-137 if you want to look it up. Let me know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Sorry you had to go thru that Ching. I originally posted this so many can take advantage of the sale. I could have bought them all and put them as you say on Ebay but that is not my style. I too wanted to share with fellow crafters. Just keep your eyes out for other good deals and let us know? I do have the scalloped heart set of 6 duplicate I can sell for $1.99 + postage if you want it? It is S4-137 if you want to look it up. Let me know?
Aww, you're so sweet to offer. I'm not in need of any more Spellbinders, but just was sad I didn't at least get a chance to see what was avail, lol. And I was protesting at the store enabling the ONE shopper to swoop up everything for profit on ebay instead of making sure all their customers had a fair shot at it. It was obvious that shopper was going to resell. I took a peek at the pile behind the counter. Multiples of the same design and she bought them all. I just walked out of the store shaking my head.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I like the way you think
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

Marimoose, would you like to buy the classic scalloped hearts as mentioned? Ching wasn't interested in it. Thanks for your comment. Happy stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2015, 05:35 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the Spellbinders site! I've been looking for an arched window set.

Looks like just a regular clearance sale on their site - cycling out less popular and special edition dies to make room for new inventory.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=marimoose;20982741]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverkat276View Post
My Mike's has had them marked down, (not by much), for sometime. I need to go by and look and see what they are at now. I will scoop up as many as I can. I love spellbinders and I don't know why these stores have chosen not to carry them. Hobby Lobby stopped carrying major dies really, but all of the Grand Calibur dies has not been carried for a while. HL will carry the inspire smaller and less expensive dies.

Denverkat276 - which store do you live near? The store by SwPlaza has them hanging on a back end cap and the store near Alameda has them sitting in a corner in a couple of bins. I was also in the Highlands Ranch store, County line and Colorado Blvd. There were only two sets left at the County Line store whereas the other stores still had nearly everything left. I only saw three different sets of Grand Caliburs.

Thank you marimoose. I just saw this or I would have answered sooner. I go to SW Plaza and the one on Alameda and Wads. I live off of Jewell and Pierce now so it's easy to go to either. I'll check them both out. It's a stroll to county line. I sometimes go to the one out there on Hampden and Santa Fe.

Last edited by Denverkat276; 05-26-2015 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 498 Likes on 276 Posts

Sigh. I tried. Yesterday I went to both Wichita Michael's. No Spellbinders at all. I did find 2 Cuttlebug embossing folders, got the small one for .79 & the larger one for .99. I'd have LOVED to score some more dies, but hey! I have more than I can use now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2015, 05:09 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=Denverkat276;20988430]
Quote:

Originally Posted by marimooseView Post

Thank you marimoose. I just saw this or I would have answered sooner. I go to SW Plaza and the one on Alameda and Wads. I live off of Jewell and Pierce now so it's easy to go to either. I'll check them both out. It's a stroll to county line. I sometimes go to the one out there on Hampden and Santa Fe.
Last week there were tons at Alameda and Wads - have no idea now as that one is not on my normal path. I know that there were none left at County Line and Hampden/Santa Fe. Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2015, 05:13 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Marimoose, would you like to buy the classic scalloped hearts as mentioned? Ching wasn't interested in it. Thanks for your comment. Happy stamping.
Miss Chameleon, if you still have the hearts set I would be interested as that is a set I don't have. Thank you for offering. I didn't expect you to offer but I am very appreciative of your kindness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I so appreciated this tip! I called all three Michaels stores in my area and not one had any dies left. :( The salesperson probably thought I was crazy for wanting the dirty details LOL but I asked approximately how many dies they started out with and got the story for one store, at least � one of their scrapbooking students came and bought every die off the rack! It was at least 20 dies, she said. "Somebody said the word got out on social media or something because quite a few people have been calling!" Grrrrrr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2015, 04:42 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have ya'll considered purchasing directly from the Spellbinders website? They too have some dies on clearance and while not as cheap as Michaels they may have what you are looking for.

I for one would much prefer buying directly from them than from 'the greedy and inconsiderate'. They will have to mark up, to make a profit anyway and I for one am really hoping that puts their price point close enough to the company's that people choose to not but from them. I'm hoping they get stuck with all those dies and can't sell them.

If social media (us) can spread the word about the dies being on sale or to call first because they seem to already be sold out then we can make a difference here too. Don't reward such behavior, buy from other sources such as directly from the company instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just purchased quite a few from Spellbinders' website. I was thrilled to get some of those dies for $6
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,172 Likes on 505 Posts

where is sale links I don't see any? hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Here it is:
https://www.spellbinderspaperarts.co...atus/Clearance
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,172 Likes on 505 Posts

Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Have ya'll considered purchasing directly from the Spellbinders website? They too have some dies on clearance and while not as cheap as Michaels they may have what you are looking for.

I for one would much prefer buying directly from them than from 'the greedy and inconsiderate'. They will have to mark up, to make a profit anyway and I for one am really hoping that puts their price point close enough to the company's that people choose to not but from them. I'm hoping they get stuck with all those dies and can't sell them.

If social media (us) can spread the word about the dies being on sale or to call first because they seem to already be sold out then we can make a difference here too. Don't reward such behavior, buy from other sources such as directly from the company instead.
I had mentioned this a couple weeks ago, shortly after this thread was started and I did indeed purchase a few sets from Spellbinders.

When I purchased there was a notification of the sale running across the top but saw that it was gone recently, though when I checked a couple dies they were on sale and I was able to get to the sale page in that manner. Last week there were still over 100 items listed on sale.

I would not buy from those ebayers ever. I also do not reward that kind of greedy seller. I like a bargain as well as the next person and I like to share my finds, not display greedy consumerism.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Any Denver folk - the Michaels in Highlands Ranch on S. Broadway still had lots and lots of the Spellbinders dies and a few cuttlebug folders hanging on a back end cap this afternoon. I checked the prices and they are still ringing up 90% off. There are still no updated pricing so I am sure that is why they are there. Unbelievable. So... if you were still looking you might want to check them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #37  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimooseView Post
Any Denver folk - the Michaels in Highlands Ranch on S. Broadway still had lots and lots of the Spellbinders dies and a few cuttlebug folders hanging on a back end cap this afternoon. I checked the prices and they are still ringing up 90% off. There are still no updated pricing so I am sure that is why they are there. Unbelievable. So... if you were still looking you might want to check them out.
I ALMOST called my former supervisor, who moved back to Denver, to see if he'd go look for dies for me, but since I don't have a current list of what I actually have.....
I really think he'd have done it if he wasn't busy with something else. Gotta miss a guy like that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

OMgosh. I really want to go to that Highlands Ranch store, but my car broke down....UGH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I've bought from Spellbinders from Scrap Mart and received great service. They hold frequent sales and often have free shipping. Area JoAnns and Hobby Lobby are still carrying Spellbinders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
I've bought from Spellbinders from Scrap Mart and received great service. They hold frequent sales and often have free shipping. Area JoAnns and Hobby Lobby are still carrying Spellbinders.
I buy from Scrap Mart also, love the half price sales, but that PALES in comparison to NINETY PER CENT OFF. Who doesn't want to only pay 10% of the original price???

Reply With Quote Likes