Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i'm wondering now if the Mrs John Smith thing is US etiquette or if it applies over here as well (UK).
i'll have to investigate but I've never heard of it before.

I've also noticed on US tv shows that married women are referred to as Miss Smith rather than Mrs Smith. never understood that one.

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #42  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen McView Post
i'm wondering now if the Mrs John Smith thing is US etiquette or if it applies over here as well (UK).
i'll have to investigate but I've never heard of it before.

I've also noticed on US tv shows that married women are referred to as Miss Smith rather than Mrs Smith. never understood that one.
Sometimes I find here in the US, and being from the North, that the Miss used for a married woman is a Southern courtesy but that can be more of a Miss Peggy Sue rather than Miss Smith. It could also be poor/lazy pronunciation and people are cutting off the word Mrs. and not saying the whole word so it ends up sounding like Miss or they are saying Ms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Doesn't anyone think that calling someone Mrs. John Smith in this day and age is anachronistic?

I was married, though no longer. I got married in 1975 and, even back then, woe betide anyone who addressed me as if I were an appendage of my husband. ;)!
While I find this discussion and all the approaches very interesting, I definitely do a double take when we receive mail addressed to Mrs. John Smith or Mr. and Mrs. John Smith. It makes me wrinkle my nose-- I took his last name but I certainly have my own first name!

I do not use titles, just first and last names, when addressing envelopes. Also, when it's a couple, I usually switch the order of the names when I write the salutation inside the card. Can't play favorites ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelineView Post
Technically, and the way it was taught years ago, if something is addressed Mrs. Jane Doe, it's assumed your husband is dead.
Yup, there's that factor. Also, just to throw an extra bit of info into this conversation, especially for the "research nerds":

The origin of "Mrs. John Doe" is actually a matter of grammar. Not status, per se (although one could get into a sociolinguistic argument about entrenching beliefs over centuries of lexical development, but that takes us to another level).
Here's why: the title "Mrs." literally means "the wife of." When calling someone Mrs. John Doe, you were literally saying "John Doe's wife." Not lunlike the way "MacDonald" means "son of Donald" and "Fitzpatrick" means "illegitimate child of Patrick." So up until pretty recently, history-wise, if you said "Mrs. Jane Doe" people would've wondered what the heck you were talking about... How can Jane have a wife?
The intro of Ms. was, in part, a response to an unsolvable grammar conundrum. It made it both socially AND linguistically accurate to refer to a woman by title + first + last name. So, if Jane Smith married John Doe and took his name, she could call herself Ms. Jane Doe or Mrs. John Doe depending on the situation, etc.

Now, I'm not advocating for any particular approach to be right or wrong nowadays, but I find the historical background interesting. When I first read the history on it (back in my student days), it gave me a different sense of why it had been standard usage and unquestioned by even the most outspoken women of bygone eras.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its a card for a family not just a mr and mrs but a house of people I put, Smith Family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol WView Post
Yup, there's that factor. Also, just to throw an extra bit of info into this conversation, especially for the "research nerds":

The origin of "Mrs. John Doe" is actually a matter of grammar. Not status, per se (although one could get into a sociolinguistic argument about entrenching beliefs over centuries of lexical development, but that takes us to another level).
Here's why: the title "Mrs." literally means "the wife of." When calling someone Mrs. John Doe, you were literally saying "John Doe's wife." Not lunlike the way "MacDonald" means "son of Donald" and "Fitzpatrick" means "illegitimate child of Patrick." So up until pretty recently, history-wise, if you said "Mrs. Jane Doe" people would've wondered what the heck you were talking about... How can Jane have a wife?
The intro of Ms. was, in part, a response to an unsolvable grammar conundrum. It made it both socially AND linguistically accurate to refer to a woman by title + first + last name. So, if Jane Smith married John Doe and took his name, she could call herself Ms. Jane Doe or Mrs. John Doe depending on the situation, etc.

Now, I'm not advocating for any particular approach to be right or wrong nowadays, but I find the historical background interesting. When I first read the history on it (back in my student days), it gave me a different sense of why it had been standard usage and unquestioned by even the most outspoken women of bygone eras.
I love these forums - I always learn the most interesting things! Thanks for that little history/grammar/linguistics lesson... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 04:26 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol WView Post

Until I read this interesting forum I thought that this was common knowledge. I love my husband and am happy to be called Mrs. His Name. If someone is nice enough to send me mail I'm certainly not going to go looking for a reason to be offended. Really, they can address it however they want! If I am using the woman's name I always use Ms or else it sounds like she is married to herself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I can be quit the staunch feminist at times, but if someone addressed me as Mrs. His name, I would think it was sweet and old-fashioned. People are always complaining that no one has manners anymore, but how do I know what manners I'm supposed to still be following and which ones have become offensive?

However, if someone addressed me as such because they were purposely trying to belittle me, I'd correct them by telling them to call me Dr. My name. I earned that title and if you want to play the power trip game, then so can I. In fact, the feminist in me loves playing that game.

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 05:13 AM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't forget military, Pastors and doctors!

I have all in my 'circle'

Dr. & Mrs. JL Smith
Major & Mrs. JL Smith
Captain & Mrs. JL Smith, Retired
Pastor & Mrs. JL Smith
Women as military I'm not 100% sure. I've read to do Major AB & Mr. JL Smith but I'm not cards to any couple with the wife being in the service.

This one is fun:
Captain JL Smith & Dr. AB. Smith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

I like getting mail, cards, invitations, etc., so I don't get all wrapped up in how the sender addressed the envelope. But I do have a question .... I am never sure how to address the Christmas card to my gay friends. I usually put both names on the first line, but then I wonder whose name I should list first.
It looks like this:
John Doe and Jim Smith
Any thoughts on how I should address the envelope?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspengirlView Post
I like getting mail, cards, invitations, etc., so I don't get all wrapped up in how the sender addressed the envelope. But I do have a question .... I am never sure how to address the Christmas card to my gay friends. I usually put both names on the first line, but then I wonder whose name I should list first.
It looks like this:
John Doe and Jim Smith
This from a website about proper address:

) When each member of a couple uses a different surname, just list each name fully putting them in alphabetical order by family name:
Mr. Thomas Appleton
and Mr. Richard Zappa
1234 Weston Street
Springfield, MA 12345

If both partners in a same-sex couple use the same last name, list them in alphabetical order by given name.
Ms. Adeline Henderson
and Ms. Zelda Henderson
5678 Taylor Street
Springfield, MA 12345

How to Address a Same Sex Couple?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
This from a website about proper address:

) When each member of a couple uses a different surname, just list each name fully putting them in alphabetical order by family name:
Mr. Thomas Appleton
and Mr. Richard Zappa
1234 Weston Street
Springfield, MA 12345

If both partners in a same-sex couple use the same last name, list them in alphabetical order by given name.
Ms. Adeline Henderson
and Ms. Zelda Henderson
5678 Taylor Street
Springfield, MA 12345

How to Address a Same Sex Couple?
Thank you. I appreciate the information and the time you took to look it up and provide the link!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #53  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

It looks like this:
John Doe and Jim Smith
Alphabetical order or the person you know better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you. I appreciate the information and the time you took to look it up and provide the link!
You are so welcome. I was curious myself - and now I know. I learn a lot here by looking things up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Love this thread! My Great Grandmother called her husband "Mr. Stephenson" all her life. I never once heard her call him by a first name. As a little girl, I referred to him as "Grandfather Mr. Stephenson." I'm sure she'd have a strong opinion on addressing envelopes if she were still around
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #56  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well after all my concerns that initially started this email, the recipient has never acknowledge receipt of the card lol! So she was either so offended she cannot bare to speak to me, or she paid no attention lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
Well after all my concerns that initially started this email, the recipient has never acknowledge receipt of the card lol! So she was either so offended she cannot bare to speak to me, or she paid no attention lol!
That's pretty funny, Jukie.

I know I tend to overthink almost everything, and then it turns out not to make any difference.

I remember an old saying: "I'm an old man and have had many worries in my life - most of which never happened."

Reply With Quote Likes