Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone else confused by......

SU! calling these new sets "clear"? I find myself re-explaining to many that the stamp is not clear! IMO, I think it would have been better if SU! would call these "cling mounted" and "wood mounted". I understand that "clear" stamps are also cling stamps but that is obvisious, it's not like we gonna mount clear stamps to wood right?! LOL! When asked "Do you want that set in wood mount or clear mount?" people think the stamp itself is clear. They hear the word "clear" and right away it's "I can get them clear?". I'm not a demo so what I say is nonsense, but stilll, RIGHT?

Wood mount= rubber mounted on wood
cling mount= rubber mounted on cling foam for clear blocks
Raw rubber= just the rubber, thats it
Clear= clear stamps

OK I'm done with my complaining, HAHA!

This is all in good fun. Don't yell at me
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #2  
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Yep, confusing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

In my opinion they did it on purpose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintlcView Post
In my opinion they did it on purpose.
HMMM.... why do you think that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Edit: I didn't read the OP's post that carefully!

Last edited by cherryonion; 01-09-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #6  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

are they calling them clear mounts or clear stamps? Because there is a difference as we all know-

I don't know what they are calling them- but they are more than likely trying to get their own spin on it somehow.
I am glad they are offering cling mounts now- SOOOOO many have been wishing for it!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm glad they are offering them too. I have heard it both ways, to a season stamper the difference is clear (no pun intended lol1). But to many the word "clear" means clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I can see how it might be confusing to those who don't know the lingo but clear mount sounds to me like cling mount Same difference;)
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have always used cling mounted stamps from the beggining. I'm not confused by SU calling them clear mount since acrylic blocks are clear. However, what has been confusing is the people referring to them as clear stamps instead of clear mount stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Why would calling something clear mount automatically make someone think the stamp was clear? If I hear wood mount, I don't think the stamp is made of wood. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeygirl59View Post
Why would calling something clear mount automatically make someone think the stamp was clear? If I hear wood mount, I don't think the stamp is made of wood. Just curious.
Because they're not always referred to as 'clear mount'. I've seen people say clear stamps as much as I've seen clear mount.

They should've just called them unmounted or cling mounted stamps just like everyone else in the business, to avoid confusion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is very confusing. They really should have said cling mount.
But it is not surprising that they did this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

It is confusing, and by saying there is a "clear mount option" may give a customer the idea that the clear mounts are included with the stamps - like the wood mounts are. SU, imho, should have just called them unmounted on cling foam as this is the accepted and known terminology in the stamping arena.
By the way - I love that they have offered this option!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I agree it can be confusing! BUT they do call them clear mount, not just clear as another poster pointed out. I think it might have been more helpful to go with just un-mounted or something like that. I don't think they are doing it on purpose but probably it was the best name they thought to describe them...confusing still. I'm making sure that my customers know they are not clear stamps! I do have to say I just got my blocks and they are awesome. I had a cheapy from the store and SU's are 1000 times better! The grip all the way around is just great! So easy to hold and use in any direction! I also love the stamps, I'm considering getting all clear (when available) from here on out. I just LOVE the cases with the thumbnails and they look so neat and organized on my shelf...which is good for someone with OCD like me who gets driven nuts that all the boxes are different sizes:-p

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

I agree, it is very confusing. If they wanted to put a spin on it and not use the unmounted or cling mounted term, maybe they should be referring to them as acrylic mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Default Industry is Confused

I think that as the stamps evolved the industry was not consistant on what they called the different types of stamps which has led to a lot of confusion everywhere. I think that SU was trying to be consistant in what they called the new stamps as they have always called their stamps "wood mounted" they are now calling the stamps with cling on them "clear mounted". I guess it makes sense to them but it sounds like the stamps are either clear or permanently attached to clear mounts when actually they are permanently attached to cling mount.

Could we here on SCS, as the largest stamping forum on the internet, come to some sort of concensus as to what to call the different type of stamps? If we all start being consistent here, and wherever else we are, maybe the industry will follow us??

My thoughts as to what to call them:
  1. Unmounted rubber= rubber only (if selling stamps with the wood blocks to attach them to, call them wood mounted. I still have to pay the shipping for the blocks!!)
  2. Wood mounted= rubber mounted on wood blocks
  3. Cling mounted= rubber mounted on cling foam for use on clear blocks
  4. Adhesive mounted = rubber with some type of adhesive attached such as Aileen's Tack it Over and Over.
  5. Clear= clear stamps. Could be called clear photopolymer etc. but clear would be the primary word used.
It would be so much easier to find the type of stamps I am looking to buy!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Default duplicate post

sorry for duplicate post

Last edited by flwrldy3; 01-10-2010 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: delete duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad they are offering both choices now, but I have to agree -
clear mount is a confusing term. While I personally understand the difference between clear mount and clear stamp, I am sure a new stamper would have no clue. Also, one might think that the clear mounts would be included in the price because the wood mount sets do include the wood.
Very confusing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

You know, I took it as a rookie mistake. The unmounted world is uncharted for them and they may have not understood or anticipated that their wording was confusing. And, it is confusing.

The option is cling mounted, not clear mounted. You can cling cling to just about anything, and not just clear blocks. Heck, you can cling them to wood blocks! So, calling them cling mounted would actually be correct.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
You know, I took it as a rookie mistake. The unmounted world is uncharted for them and they may have not understood or anticipated that their wording was confusing. And, it is confusing.

The option is cling mounted, not clear mounted. You can cling cling to just about anything, and not just clear blocks. Heck, you can cling them to wood blocks! So, calling them cling mounted would actually be correct.
If there is one thing SU isn't is a rookie! I just figured that the company has a reason for it and once I saw what it was offering I think it makes sense.

These are DIFFERENT than regular rubber stamps with ez foam (cling mounted) stamps in that they have an image on the back.

So maybe SU was looking for a name for yet another version of stamp to differentiate these stamps from those rubber stamps that cling but have no image. (whew....there are a lot of choices.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
If there is one thing SU isn't is a rookie! I just figured that the company has a reason for it and once I saw what it was offering I think it makes sense.

These are DIFFERENT than regular rubber stamps with ez foam (cling mounted) stamps in that they have an image on the back.

So maybe SU was looking for a name for yet another version of stamp to differentiate these stamps from those rubber stamps that cling but have no image. (whew....there are a lot of choices.)
Joan (or anyone who knows),
Do you know, is the image on the back something that has already been done at SU! or is it a sticker of some sort that the purchaser will put on? That may sound like a silly question, but I've learned not to assume anything. I would LOVE it if the image is already there for you and you can see exactly where it will land.
TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
Because they're not always referred to as 'clear mount'. I've seen people say clear stamps as much as I've seen clear mount.

They should've just called them unmounted or cling mounted stamps just like everyone else in the business, to avoid confusion.
Yes, and there are some clear stamp sites that don't make it "clear" that their stamps aren't rubber. Actually, all of SU's stamps are unmounted. In fact, as long as I've been buying their stamps, that's actually one of the selling points. And now, because the market demands, some of their stamps require "wood mounts," and some require "clear mounts."

This is what they've chosen to call them. There is information on both the customer and demo website, that, I think, makes it very clear that they are rubber that utilize a clear mount. Mostly, because they call them clear mount rubber stamps. If one infers anything different because she stopped reading at the word "clear," listened to information second hand from someone that had not read the literature, or glazed over while her demo was explaining about the new offerings (provided, of course, that the demo actually read the literature ;)), well...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: in a parallel universe, where i get to stamp all day!
Default Clear mount stamp sticker

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Joan (or anyone who knows),
Do you know, is the image on the back something that has already been done at SU! or is it a sticker of some sort that the purchaser will put on? That may sound like a silly question, but I've learned not to assume anything. I would LOVE it if the image is already there for you and you can see exactly where it will land.
TIA
Hi Jeaniebean55... the stickers for placing on the back come in the case with the stamps. They have left them not mounted to the back of the rubber so that you can have a personal choice as to whether or not you want to attach it. personally, i have attached them - and it's super easy to do that. - literally peel and stick :-) there are several videos around that have been made by fellow demonstrators, but if you still have questions, feel free to pm me and i'll send you the link to the photo tutorial i did that shows how to mount the sticker.
hope this helps
jaydee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Actually I have some (other brand) ezmount cling stamps that have an image on the back. The image isn't a label-it's printed on the clingy part of the foam. But there is an image so it's not a new thing and these are not new stamps that I have (maybe a year or two old). I'm not planning to use the labels (I feel they won't be as clingy-I've done vinyl cling and didn't like it) anyway.
Yes, you are correct. I have some Hero Arts stamps like this and I know Stampendous offers them this way. I hope the label (image) keeps the cling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

In my opinion "Clear Mount" and "Wood Mount" are accurate descriptions. They are'nt calling them Clear Stamps which would lead one to think they were actually acrylic like instead of red rubber. I'm not sure what else they would call them, I gues they could say "You have a choice between wood mounted red rubber and unmounted red rubber". But I don't think "Clear Mount" is anymore confusing than "Wood Mount". JMO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's probably good for demos to realize there may be some confusion so their customers aren't unpleasantly surprised, but like all things SU!, once you know what to expect, you're good to go (I hate/d cutting my own rubber but appreciate the cost savings. I hate the large ink pads and choose not to buy any more until I hear they've redesigned them. Etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Actually I have some (other brand) ezmount cling stamps that have an image on the back. The image isn't a label-it's printed on the clingy part of the foam. But there is an image so it's not a new thing and these are not new stamps that I have (maybe a year or two old). I'm not planning to use the labels (I feel they won't be as clingy-I've done vinyl cling and didn't like it) anyway.
I have quite a few like this. I also have unmounted ones (such as See D's) that have the image printed on the back as well. Those have a tacky area on the back over the image, so you use them with blocks as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
It is confusing, and by saying there is a "clear mount option" may give a customer the idea that the clear mounts are included with the stamps - like the wood mounts are. SU, imho, should have just called them unmounted on cling foam as this is the accepted and known terminology in the stamping arena.
By the way - I love that they have offered this option!
While I do think calling the stamps "clear-mount" is not holding to the common terminology regarding UM/clingmount stamps, I think the bolded part in Nancy's post is an even larger (potential) problem.

If the reason SU is calling the UM sets "clear-mount" really is because their wood-mount sets (which include the wood) are called wood-mount, then it stands to reason that some people will expect the clear-mount sets to include the clear mounts.

Those familiar with UM stamps know that's not logical (one reason to switch to UM is to get rid of zillions of blocks and their storage issue, and you don't need one clear block per stamp, anyway), but those who are being told "SU is calling these clear-mount to distinguish this type from the wood-mount version" may inadvertently be leading customers who are new to UM to believe that the clear blocks are included, just as the wood blocks are included in the wood-mount sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post

I know they're not rookies in the stamping world, but they are in the unmounted stamping world. And, if they're trying to double brand their product (which is something that consumes a considerable amount of effort and money they could place elsewhere), it strikes me as a misplaced effort especially when you're dealing with something that is pretty commonplace. But honestly Joan, from my history with the company, I just don't think they thought about the confusion it would cause. So, I chalk it up to a rookie mistake, rather than something else.

As for the move to offering an unmounted cling version, that's just fantastic. I've seen the storage cases (and stamps) in person and they're nicely done. Putting the images on the labels does solve some storage issues for those that will actually keep them in the container they come in. And, I can't think of a brand that has the images on the spine of the DVD case, so really, if you're going to brand something, brand that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to disagree. As someone else mentioned SU! have always been unmounted with cling. We have always had the option to use them on clear blocks they were just not advertised this way nor could we buy without the wood blocks. They really aren't doing anything different than they always have but give the no block option. Also as someone said they are just going with the phrasing that they have always used, calling their stamps "Wood Mounted", "Clear Mounted" actually makes sense when you look at it that way. You are right though they will definately boost their sales by offering the new option, I am sure they are wishing they did long ago :-D. Like I said just my opinion...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
I know they're not rookies in the stamping world, but they are in the unmounted stamping world. And, if they're trying to double brand their product (which is something that consumes a considerable amount of effort and money they could place elsewhere), it strikes me as a misplaced effort especially when you're dealing with something that is pretty commonplace. But honestly Joan, from my history with the company, I just don't think they thought about the confusion it would cause. So, I chalk it up to a rookie mistake, rather than something else.

As for the move to offering an unmounted cling version, that's just fantastic. I've seen the storage cases (and stamps) in person and they're nicely done. Putting the images on the labels does solve some storage issues for those that will actually keep them in the container they come in. And, I can't think of a brand that has the images on the spine of the DVD case, so really, if you're going to brand something, brand that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6View Post
I have to disagree. As someone else mentioned SU! have always been unmounted with cling. We have always had the option to use them on clear blocks they were just not advertised this way nor could we buy without the wood blocks. They really aren't doing anything different than they always have but give the no block option. Also as someone said they are just going with the phrasing that they have always used, calling their stamps "Wood Mounted", "Clear Mounted" actually makes sense when you look at it that way. You are right though they will definately boost their sales by offering the new option, I am sure they are wishing they did long ago :-D. Like I said just my opinion...

And I will have to disagree with you. lol

SU has not always offered their stamps on cling. They have offered their stamps on adhesive-backed foam. This is not the same thing as clingfoam, the option they are offering now. Clingfoam is MUCH better for those who prefer not to permanently mount their stamps on wood.

Yes, SU has offered their stamps unmounted (packaged with their wood blocks). However, they have not always offered their stamps on clingfoam, which is very, very different than than single-use, adhesive-backed foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL! Have I accidentally stepped into that parallel universe of split.hairs.stampers?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, the more I think about what they call them the more it feels wrong to me.

Wood mount - you are getting the wood
clear mount - you aren't getting anything clear at all

This could be very confusing especially to a beginning stamper who might think -oh, this set is only $15-, buys it (maybe orders it through a demo side online along with some paper and an inkpad), then when the order arrives they realize they have to spend more $$ to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #34  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
Ok, the more I think about what they call them the more it feels wrong to me.

Wood mount - you are getting the wood
clear mount - you aren't getting anything clear at all

This could be very confusing especially to a beginning stamper who might think -oh, this set is only $15-, buys it (maybe orders it through a demo side online along with some paper and an inkpad), then when the order arrives they realize they have to spend more $$ to use them.
I think this is where it's helpful to have a demo. I'm going to make sure that all my customers KNOW they have to buy blocks and are going to get to play at my upcoming class. I know I always ask the customer if I see something on their order that they woould need something else to use it, if they have said "thing". That way they can get it or decide to pass.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Let me preface my statement with - I have not seen the stamps.

"Cling" mount could be owned by another company. EZ- Mount is and it was one of the first "cling" style mounting systems.

I am assuming the backing on the "Cling" mount is a clear piece that is applied to the back of the stamp that already has the foam with adhesive.

To me it is logical to call it Clear Mount since that is what you are using. Something clear. Plus, if we wanted to get all grammatically correct ... it is an
inappropriate to usage of the verb cling.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I will correct myself. I guess I was just thinking about the foam and not the sticky or cling part. I just take the stamp stick the sticky to my arm(because of the oils) a few times and it is now just sticky enough to stick to a clear block. Once all the stick is gone I add some Aileens Tack it over and over then it is back to working great for me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
And I will have to disagree with you. lol

SU has not always offered their stamps on cling. They have offered their stamps on adhesive-backed foam. This is not the same thing as clingfoam, the option they are offering now. Clingfoam is MUCH better for those who prefer not to permanently mount their stamps on wood.

Yes, SU has offered their stamps unmounted (packaged with their wood blocks). However, they have not always offered their stamps on clingfoam, which is very, very different than than single-use, adhesive-backed foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Clingmount (cling mount, cling-mount) is a generic term. Search the web and you will not find a company with that name.

>

That's not how the SU system works. There is nothing to add to the new UM style of SU's stamps. The clingfoam (clingmount) on the SU stamps is very similar to EZ Mount.

Buyers are not getting anything clear (unless they also purchase clear blocks).

(The label [which is not clear as it has an image on it] included with each set is for optional usage and is not necessary to make the stamp cling to the clear block.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Patti, when I've wanted to use an SU stamp within minutes of it arriving in my house (before I've remounted it with clingmount), I've done exactly as you described. It does work for a bit, but then the stamp has to be remounted with clingmount or made clingy in some other way (TIO&O, double-stick tape, cling vinyl/film, etc.).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
LOL! Have I accidentally stepped into that parallel universe of split.hairs.stampers?!?!
LOL, well at least there's still popcorn...;)
Reply With Quote Likes