Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to School teacher gifts?

what are you doing?
I had short conversation with DH on this matter- his "short" answer was "with what we just spent on school supplies?! put a card in their bookbag saying Thanks... we are now in the poor house!" 3 kids = total spent on just supplies $576.38!
anyway... as a stamper I still want to send something... I need some cute ideas!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Default ???

I am a parent and also a teacher, and I have NEVER heard of a Back to School Teacher Gift!??

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 04:30 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have not heard of this either. A smile and some kind words are always nice, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Question ?????

:???: Back to school Teacher's gift? Never heard of that. Give me a break, what next. No way am I giving out BTS gifts. Teaching my child is gift enough. ha.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I think the teachers at our school are wonderful and have been giving a tiny back to school gift to the teachers for the last 5 years. It is always one of two items. Walmart carries the z-international sticky note pads that are "apple" themed. One is a stack of laser cut green/yellow apples. The other is a 3x3 white sticky note pad with red apples at the bottom. I just do a small topper on each OR if I am industrious I make a red cover for the 3x3 leaving the apple edge on the pad showing. I glue a tiny rectangle piece of glossy stock on the front with one edge striped in silver sharpie to make it look like a white board. I write "welcome back" on the little mini white board.

HTH
Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

A note to say you're glad the teachers are finally taking your dear children back would be nice BUT i also have never heard of a back to school gift for a teacher (and I've worked in a school for 6 years).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

C'mon ladies.... you mean you don't give little "serceis" to welcome the school year back?! I'm shocked! I've done this for goin' on 6 years! it's nothing huge like Christmas or end of school gifts but a little "something" to say... I'm looking forward to a great year! I just need something I haven't done yet ;) & thought some of you would share... the post it's sound great!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I am not about to go spending more money then I already do. The school year starts and they are begging for supplies, so I fork out $ and buy them a ton of supplies. They are constantly asking for something and I get tired of it. Not to mention all the parties and other crap. Sorry to sound so harsh but that is their job, I don't get gifts for coming to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxieStamps
I am not about to go spending more money then I already do. The school year starts and they are begging for supplies, so I fork out $ and buy them a ton of supplies. They are constantly asking for something and I get tired of it. Not to mention all the parties and other crap. Sorry to sound so harsh but that is their job, I don't get gifts for coming to work.
That's what DH said!!!
I'm thinking I might surprise all the teachers this year with... Nothing! lol!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually try to give the teachers a little something. I'd rather give them little thank-yous throughout the year.
I need to talk to dd, but I think this year we'll make them each beaded pens - each with a different pattern - so they'll have their own.

I spend a lot of time volunteering at the school, so I have a relationship with all the teachers, not just the few that teach dd.

The other thought I've had is to give them some 3x3 thank you cards ... since they're often writing little thanks-yous to students and parents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperRapt
I think the teachers at our school are wonderful and have been giving a tiny back to school gift to the teachers for the last 5 years. It is always one of two items. Walmart carries the z-international sticky note pads that are "apple" themed. One is a stack of laser cut green/yellow apples. The other is a 3x3 white sticky note pad with red apples at the bottom. I just do a small topper on each OR if I am industrious I make a red cover for the 3x3 leaving the apple edge on the pad showing. I glue a tiny rectangle piece of glossy stock on the front with one edge striped in silver sharpie to make it look like a white board. I write "welcome back" on the little mini white board.

HTH
Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Thanks Annette for the supportive reply!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom
I usually try to give the teachers a little something. I'd rather give them little thank-yous throughout the year.
I need to talk to dd, but I think this year we'll make them each beaded pens - each with a different pattern - so they'll have their own.

I spend a lot of time volunteering at the school, so I have a relationship with all the teachers, not just the few that teach dd.

The other thought I've had is to give them some 3x3 thank you cards ... since they're often writing little thanks-yous to students and parents.
Thanks Gail great ideas! I will be there alot this year as a sub! can't wait

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DD's kindergarten teacher is a SU demo...ARGGHHH! Why me? I usually got the teachers that had no idea about stamping and thought whatever I made was fabulous!! LOL

How can you top a SU demo?? :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:02 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

This site has some "Survival Kits". You could do a Teacher survival kit and put it in a cello bag and make a topper.
Somthin simple and not expensive at all! HTH!
(not my site by the way)

http://www.kimstamps.com/skits.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

[quote=sassyat30How can you top a SU demo?? :p[/quote]
LOL! I'll take that as a compliment!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:09 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Here is a grat one I found:

Teacher Survival Kit
Crayon - to color your day bright and cheerful
Candle - for when you are up late grading papers
Hugs and Kisses - for when you need a hug
Rubberband - to remind you to be flexible
Eraser - to remind you everyone makes mistakes and they can be erased.
Marbles - to replace the ones you've lost
Lifesaver candy - you are a lifesaver to many of your students
Jewel - because you are as valuable as a precious stone
Puzzle Piece - without you the class wouldn't be complete
Paperclip - to hold it all together
Mounds Bar - for the mounds of confidence you give your students
Shiny Penny - to remind you, each will shine in their own special way
Ear Plugs - when you just can't take anymore
Starburst - to give you a "burst" of energy when you need it
Mint - to remind you that you are worth a "mint" to your students
Tissues - to wipe away the tears...yours and theirs.
Gum - to help your class "stick" together
Bandaid - to help fix any hurt feelings
�Paulette, 1998, TLC Creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: The avie is my granddaughter & the bike that she races

I've been sending little back to school gifts for years. I did it with my daughter & then the grands. The grands are both in high school now, but there are a couple of teachers that I still bless every year. they always went above & beyond what was required of them & really made a difference with the kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I was really surprised to read that giving back to school gifts is rare. I have been giving a back to school gift to my daughter's teachers for the last 2 years and before that to her pre-school teacher & daycare teachers. I also remember taking things to my own teachers years ago.

This year I found some cute little apple push pins & school themed post-it notes, so I will be making a magnetic 6x6 memo board for DD's new 2nd grade teacher, as well as her previous Kindergarten & 1st Grade teachers. Our younger DD is off to preschool this year too, so I will be making a set of 3x3 laminated alphabet flash cards to give to the classroom as a back to school gift.

I guess I don't look at this as a cost issue, but as a way to share my hobby & love of stamping & handmade gifts.

Visit my blog: www.tracysstamptherapy.blogspot.com

My SCS Gallery https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=41884[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Oh Kim I love that!!

I think I may do that!! I am a school bus driver and love when my kids give me little gifts! Even though it is my job parents appreciate the great care and support I give to their children to and from school every day and they show it through the year with little cards or home made goodies and the children learn the gift of appreciation! I know I aprreciate the great care and knowledge these teachers give to our children. They have decided to become teachers to teach OUR children and dont get paid very much for it at all!! It is a very tough and demanding job and I dont think there is anything wrong with a little welcome back gift to show them you care and are thankful for them!! Spending a couple of bucks to brighten someones day is worth it for me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Teachers don't make much and often spend thier own money on supplies as well. Plus, you may be one of the good moms who gets the supplies your kids need but what about the kids who have parents who can't afford to or won't get anything to help out?

Giving the teacher a simple welcome back gift is a great idea! What better way to start the year than being the mom who says I appreciate that you are teaching my kids! Sounds like a way to start the year on a good note and then later should any issues arise, you already have a good relationship. :-D

Thanks for a great idea Paula! Maybe just a pack of pencils with a cute stamped sleeve (like a candy bar cover), or maybe a candy bar ;) ...

-Alta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I think the survival kit is a great idea. There are several other little inexpensive items that would also make great gifts. How about a beaded RSVP pen or a package of say 5 of the 3x3 notecards, envelopes and box to hold them. You could add her monogram to the cards. If you have a stamp or an embossing stencil of an apple you could stamp her initial in the center of that. My sister is a teacher and she gets a few little gifts on the first day. She really enjoys them and appreciates the thoughtfulness. Glad you brought this up Stampinmomof3. Teaching is a hard job and many of them put their whole hearts into teaching our children. They also spend a lot of their own money on supples so that they can do their job. It takes a special kind of person to be a teacher. I have worked as a sub and I know what a hard job they have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

My son is in preschool and daycare, so when I see a sale on crayons, glue sticks, etc... a buy a few extra for the class. Yesterday, I think I bought 20 boxes of crayons at $0.20 each and 20 packages of glue sticks for $0.15 each. I know my daycare doesn't have much so I often ask if they need anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #23  
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

Default Wow.

I can't believe some of this feedback. But then again, if you don't appreciate your child's teacher than you're right, you shouldn't give them a gift. After all, a gift is something to create goodwill and if you feel that much resentment towards your child's teacher, it would be inappropriate to give them a gift. Personally, and let me preface by saying my child is pre-school age so I have no personal experience other than having friends who are teachers...but I feel like anyone who makes the sacrifice to teach our young, and with what they get paid, it IS a sacrifice, they deserve to be recognized in a non-monetary way. With some of the parents they must deal with, is it any wonder that our teachers burn out so quickly???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Don't forget to include Tylenol for the headaches and Tums for the upset stomache, especially after a student throws up in your classroom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinSulli
Don't forget to include Tylenol for the headaches and Tums for the upset stomache, especially after a student throws up in your classroom.

Oh my gosh--a little hi-jack here I had one poor High school kid have diahrea all over the back of my bus and guess who had to clean it up?? ME--they didnt pay me enough that day!! anyways he was never on the bus again! Poor kid
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I think small back to school gifts are a great way to start the year. Teachers spend a HUGE portion of their paychecks to cover classroom expenses (yes, I was a teacher and know this for a fact!) The school systems supply the basics but all the cute stuff on the walls, cute items on your child's desks and most of the worksheet page books come from the teachers less than impressive paycheck.
I totally agree with the comment that not every parent sends in supplies. Many think it is the school systems job to provide the supplies - that does not happen - your child's teacher is picking up the tab plus handing out snacks/lunches for those kids that don't bring anything.
A small token remembrance at the beginning of the year will be an unexpected but greatly appreciated way to begin your child's relationship with his/her teacher.
MHO
Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I understand it is a teacher's job to teach our kids, but I also think that our teachers are under appreciated.... I live in a county that they teachers make less than the bus drivers do , and in MOST cases less than a walmart manager. Of course they ask for supplies and donations they only get so much money to spend on things for the classrooms, let alone not havign the money to spend out of their pockets ( and most of them do anyways) One of my friends teaches 2nd grade, and works at sylvan 3 days a week tutoring, when she a has a bad day a home made gift, or card etc from the kids or a parent really helps her realize why she loves her job.... because some people do care and she is helping to educate future doctors, mechanics etc.
I think a little something would be nice to give to our teachers, even if it is a note stating thank you for taking my kid back, if you need to call me to discuss anything about my child please do so.... How many of you guys are on the schools PTA?

I didnt give back to school type gifts last to my sons teachers at his preschool, although I did give gifts at christmas / holiday time.... I also made home made rice crispie treats for his birthday.
OH BTW ROSOWSKIMOM - I LOVE THE FLASH CARD IDEA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

anyone have an idea for a bus driver survivor kit.... would love to one for my DS bus driver too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

as your kids get older, teacher gifts get more rare. thanks for the reminder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #30  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

As a teacher I can say that I spend close to that myself for my classroom often a couple thousand more than that throughout the year. All this in order to give my kids a better classroom. I am in an inner city school and am lucky if I receive a card for Christmas (which I'm not complaining about) so i would love a little gift to say thanks for taking care of my child. On top of the money I spend my mom sees things on sale/clearance and picks them up for me and puts together a little box for me to bring back from Indiana.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Sorry to sound so harsh but that is their job, I don't get gifts for coming to work.
That's too bad. Studies have shown employees who receive small tokens of genuine appreciation from their employer or customers are, in general, more satisfied and engaged with their jobs than employees who don't. My company has had a program for a few years now where anyone is allowed to award any colleague at any time for a job well done. It's gone a long way toward building better working relationships and tearing down barriers to cooperation. Isn't a parent-teacher relationship also a similar working relationship to educate a child?

Stampinmomof3, whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

I responded to a post not long ago on this...below is my post

I have a cute "Thanks for your commitment" topper that I did and put a variety of mint type candies in it...if you PM me with an email address I can email the attachment

I end up doing a lot of staff projects..these are some simple, inexpensive ones...

1 Lifesavers stamped with a cute saying
2 Regular Pencils with a stamped tag tied on as a topper with decorative ribbon
3 Stamped 6 inch rulers that you can buy at Walmart for 23cents. You stamp a piece of paper and attach under the clear ruler
4 Mini M&M canisters stamped
5 simple set of 4 note cards...no layers just with a cute Thanks stamp and maybe kids stamped on it (teachers always need thank you notes)
6 Jolly Rancher suckers with a cover, cute saying and tied on with a ribbon
7 Micro Popcorn (30 for around 7.00 at Sams) with a saying on the cover, stamped and tied with a ribbon
8 Juicy Fruit Gum (cheap at Sams 5.00 for 40 packs)---some saying about "Try chewing gum when you would rather be chewing on...." (depending on the staff...mine thought it was very funny)
9 The teacher survival kits are cute with bag toppers if you have not already done something like that before
10 The cute "tent type" candy holders are cute that hold one little hershey's nugget (I have seen them in the gallery!)

Have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

While I do not think this is common in our area, I think it is nice.
We are always asked to pick up quality/soft Kleenex and paper towels for the classrooms. I think antibacterial wipes are always good.i
And, often parent go in the week or two before school starts, and help wash the rooms down, and communicate with the teachers regarding anything they need or need help with. Usually what they truly need is someone to help with physical work, like cleaning, carpentry help, moving boxes of books or supplies....more so than items to buy.
Then, around holiday time, the teachers put out a wish list, and instead of mugs and goodies, the teaches might get new dictionaries for the room, or new videos they need for Spanish, a dishwasher for the science lab, etc....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

I think that back to school gifts have been given to teachers ever since the first child gave "an apple to the teacher" thus starting the whole teacher/apples theme that never goes out of style.
...maybe even before that but the apple theme is the most prevalent.

my kids are all grown and gone now, last one just finished college and is entering chef school in the fall. When they were in grade school I always gave a little something on the first day as well as spending much time in the classroom throughout the year- worked out well for me, they were without an art teacher for the last part of my daughters 8th grade so they hired me to teach art!

I've read some great ideas here - cross my fingers for grandkids someday to make a few little gifties for them

J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I would say that your child's teachers spend an ungodly amount of their own money for their classroom, which I would say is not something that most other jobs require of their employers.

My oldest is just starting school, and Back-toSchool gifts hadn't crossed my mind! Thanks for the idea!!
mel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I personally don't do back to school gifts and sometimes I don't do end of year because I give a very generous gift at Christmas. However, I am now inspired to do a little stamped surprise at some time during the school year!

I think you're idea is very sweet! I have several friends who are teachers and I know they would truly appreciate your thoughtfulness!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I personally dont give back to school gifts but I serve on the Parent Advisory Committee of our Middle School and am on the sub committee that recognizes the teachers throughout the year. We always put a little something in their mailboxes welcoming them back. This year I think it will be a goodie bag of lifesavers with a topper that says something like "Youre worth a "whole" lot!! Other things we have done in the past--microwave popper corn with a little welcome back inspirational message, $100,000 grand bars, etc.... I have to mass produce about 80 of them so they are simple....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

WOW. That is harsh. For someone who spends 8 hours a day with your child, I would think there would be a little more respect for their "job". And by the way, if you don't help pay for all that "crap" then do you expect the teacher to do it 30 times over for every student??? I'm a little floored at these responses. All she asked for were some simple ideas. It didn't say she was planning on giving her a new car or something. A little handmade card and pen or a notebook, when she is a stamper anyways, is a very nice way to start off the school year.

I too have seen gifts given. Just something little is a nice way to introduce you and your child. How about a post-it note holder and a pen? There is a tutorial for those in the resouces section. Or a tile coaster? Another idea is a little pack of personalized cards. You could do monogram notecards and tie them up with a cute little ribbon.
I think it's a great idea, good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

True, but do you end up buying supplies out of your own pocket because your employer has no money in the budget for them? Do you have a formal boss (the principal) & up to thirty unofficial bosses (the parents) who feel their needs should be put above everyone elses? Were you ever told to "fudge data" to make an unofficial boss happy (changing a child's grade to an undeserved higher mark because the parent complained)? I could go on ...
Regarding buying "them" supplies, you aren't. The supplies are for your childrean, NOT the teachers!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maironad
That's too bad. Studies have shown employees who receive small tokens of genuine appreciation from their employer or customers are, in general, more satisfied and engaged with their jobs than employees who don't. My company has had a program for a few years now where anyone is allowed to award any colleague at any time for a job well done. It's gone a long way toward building better working relationships and tearing down barriers to cooperation. Isn't a parent-teacher relationship also a similar working relationship to educate a child?

Stampinmomof3, whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be appreciated!
ITA with this. Before I went back to school, I worked for an architectural firm. The three partners did nice things for us every now and then, and morale around the office was great. It balanced the inevitable times when a project got really stressful and frustrating, contractors were screwing up, or the printers messed up a big set of documents. Even if it was just making a run to Walgreens for chocolate during a late-night push to meet a deadline, it made us feel appreciated and people really liked working there. ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes