Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2006, 02:47 AM   #81  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A GOOD TEACHER!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #82  
Crimping Master

I loved reading this thread and am so glad it was featured in the latest Weekly Inkling. Lots of thoughts that have been chasing around in my head were expressed here so well!

I have the 'can't throw anything away' bug, and the 'can't use too much of the good stuff' bug, and lots of the other 'bugs' people mentioned here. After reading about how we need to get over these things in order to become anywhere near dirty, I too am inspired to take a few more risks, be a bit more courageous and just try new things!

I also love to learn about stamping/scrapping/crafting and have been very grateful to be shown this site by a Dirty Girl who has become a very good friend. I am amazed at how much I have learned from 'studying' all of your wonderful work. I live in an isolated community and don't know any other stampers so my inspiration comes from people like you all.

Thank you everyone who took the time to work through their thoughts and put them on this thread. You make a difference in people's lives when you do this. Thank you.
Stop by at Susan's Saga or PaperCraftCentral.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2006, 02:55 AM   #83  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok...I'll bite... "what"? :-D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochelle Getzler
Wonderful thoughts! I really enjoyed your article. As a teacher, I have seen many of my students reaching for excellence, and have seen that each one approaches excellence in a different way. I used to tell my students that there are three elements that contribute to progress towards excellence: TALENT, INTELLIGENCE, AND HARD WORK (PRACTICE). But recently, I have noticed that a couple of my students, who have been with me a long time but who have minimal talent and who spend almost no time practicing, have made at least some progress towards excellence through sheer STICKING TO IT FOR A LONG TIME, like water dripping away can carve a depression in a rock. And one of my sweetest brightest little 9 year old students came up with one other factor that contributes to excellence. She said: It helps to have

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2006, 02:56 AM   #84  

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

lol....what a great answer from such a smart little gir. Thanks for sharing that store.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2006, 03:38 AM   #85  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
Wink A Big Reason for Stamping

Quote:

Originally Posted by jah636
This has been an awesome thread to read and very inspiring. I don't know if I would ever qualify as a dirty girl, but I know what I like and I love stamping. I also know that, for me, it's more about how I have made someone feel when I give them one of my cards. I give cards not only for those special occasions, but when I see someone who needs a kind word, a little cheering up, some encouragement, then I stamp them a special card "from my heart" and it is sent to them (or left on their desk at work). So, for me, that is why I stamp. It is more than just a creative outlet for me, it's an expression of my love for others.

Judi
I so agree with you, Judi! Sending a beautiful card with words of encouragement, cheer, congrats, etc. -- that's one of the big reasons I love stamping. But I also want them to be beautiful. That's the big challenge. SCS has been a fabulous place for ideas, and I have always been a good copier...even in quilting. I also have BeckyTE as a dear friend, and she is so creative! Like so many in this thread have said, it's time management, isn't it? We all have the same 24 hours, it's just what we each do with those hours.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and for sharing their beautiful work! I LOVE SCS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #86  
Kookie Creator

Default Practice, practice, practice

I was so glad to read this post. My biggest problem is feeling like I'm wasting materials while I'm trying to practice my craft. I need to think like "It's just papers". Maybe that would work.
I have purchased several, several stamps and inks, etc. and I just haven't got the practicing in. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #87  
Embossing Fanatic

What exactly is "dirty worthy?"
Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #88  
Forum Fanatic

Encouraging! Now I don't feel so bad for wanting to throw out a bunch of my cards that I was never happy with. Going in the trash now :O)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #89  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 525 Likes on 237 Posts

Dirty Worthy is being worthy of being selected as a Dirty Girl...AKA the Dirty Dozen Design Team...that GREAT group of stampers who stamp their hearts out for the Splitcoast Fan Club every month!!!!! See the home page for a link to how to join the fan club.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #90  
Die Cut Diva

I love this thread! I am so used to feeling like my stamping is just so-so, and now I can read and see that I'm not the only one who feels like they've come a long ways, with more to go. I tend to want to skip right over the bad cards and do only good ones, which keeps me from developing my art. Thanks for the tips and encouragement to all of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #91  
Die Cut Diva

this thread is bump-worthy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #92  
Crimping Master

Subscribing!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #93  
Matboard Maniac

do what you love, and love what you do.....well sometimes! Ha ha! I have seen and studied art design, fashion design etc, and cannot even begin to hold a candle to some of these ladies. Formal training doesn't really mean all that much, we all have creativity within wether it be analytical, or artsy. What is cool about this site, is that we can all be inspired by each other, share our "coolness" and be one... and now I need to eat a granola bar..haha
I guess since I live by Boulder that's what we do, however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what I have learned is that inspiration is all around us. Love what you do, and do what you love...yes grasshopper be one with your coolness!

My own GALLERIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #94  
Crimping Master

oh wow, this is fantastic! I so needed to see this. I think I have a good eye for things.. colours, layout etc., but I haven't been stamping long at all! I keep expecting all the cards to be perfect and indeed get extremely frustrated when I can't produce what I want. This message was so perfect. I really need to just experiment and keep trying, trying, trying.. not worry about wasting supplies. Just keep doing. Yippee! I certainly feel a LOT more free now!! where are those stamps now.. *smile* THANK YOU!

--------------------
Please, stop by my BLOG and say hello! *smile*.
I Love little bird/chick stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #95  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Was just thinking about this subject this morning and thought this thread could use a bump up to the top.

Have a great day stampy friends...hugs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 AM   #96  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is a great thread, I've really enjoyed reading it, and I've learned a lot.

Bumping it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #97  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by notimetostampView Post
This has been a most interesting read -- though I must honestly say I read some and skimmed some! I have only been introduced to SCS for about 2 weeks and have been uploading cards for maybe a little over a week. It is so much fun, all of it -- looking in the galleries, talking on these "threads" -- a new thing to me -- and learning my way around this site -- and, of course, uploading my own cards and reading all the wonderful comments so many of you make. I just love it all. I have been confused about many things, and I am slowing putting it all together, with help from many of you, but I am still very confused about the Dirty Dozen. I get the idea they are a group of highly talented stamp artists -- but do they have a "job" here -- I have read many of their bios -- it seems they come and go??? -- they are apparently "selected" -- but I can't quite figure out their "purpose" or "job". Is their purpose to put really interesting cards on so we all stay interested, or do they monitor anything or judge anything -- I just can't quite put it all together. If anyone has a minute to explain it to me, I'd sure appreciate it -- curious -- that's all. It's been nice talking to you -- thanks so much.

Sharon
I absolutely LOVE the irony here! This awesome current Dirty Dozen gal made this comment last year when she was a newbie to SCS--look where she is now!!!

Great thread-loved re-reading it and finding again the artist in myself and all of us. Happy stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #98  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMountainStamperView Post
I absolutely LOVE the irony here! This awesome current Dirty Dozen gal made this comment last year when she was a newbie to SCS--look where she is now!!!

Great thread-loved re-reading it and finding again the artist in myself and all of us. Happy stampin'!
Only in America, huh! Err, I mean, only on SCS!!! LOL!!! Believe me, if I made it to the Dirty Dozen in the short time I had been on SCS, that is truly proof of the fact that any of you can do it as well!!! Just put your nose to the grind stone and try, try, try!!! The sky's the limit --

But you want to know something even stranger. That comment I made quoted above -- well it was answered by someone giving me the link to the Fan Club. And you know who that was -- Mona Lisa. She was not yet Dirty; however, she and I would come to serve on the DDDT together for probably 4months, I think. Now what are the chances, of all the tens of thousands of people on here, that I would ask a question about the Dirty Dozen, Lisa would answer it, and some months down the road we would be on the Design Team together -- I have thought of that before -- strange, huh!!!

Well now, I think I'd better go and re-read this entire thread. Has this been the most read thread ever -- does anyone know? It always keep resurfacing, and for good reason!

Oh, and RockyMountainStamper, thanks for the compliment!

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store/Stamp Simply Clear Stamps

MY BLOG -- No Time To Stamp?

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

we must be willing to free fall and grab the wind and ride! i read a great quote about Michaleangelo didn't settle for the floor, he made a magnificient ceiling. we are limited only by ourselves. i was laughing about the *learning to waste 90cent paper* how true. while i am nowhere even remotely dirty girl worthy(someone needs to comment! LOL), i look back on 5 years ago to today and my level increases every year. i try things (thank you challenges) and tamper with things i never would have. we are all baby birds, just looking for the day we soar.
great thread ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #100  
Hardware Hotshot

I love all the dirty dozen and I think through their inspiration and the challenges I have participated in my designs have become so much better. Looking back at my first few cards and then looking at the ones I have posted in the last week I am so proud of my growth... Thank you ladies...

Last edited by Aimee30; 08-02-2007 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: miss spelled a word...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #101  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh such warm fuzzies all around ladies! Love it!!!

(and love you Sharon xoxo)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #102  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

You're sure welcome! Your stuff is beautiful!

And thanks for sharing the further irony of Lisa being the one to explain it to you--and then you gals are dirty together!!! Such a small, wonderful world here on SCS!

Have a great day ladies! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you guys soooo much for this post! You have no idea how much it has helped me to know that you guys don't just automatically produce beautiful pieces of work every time on the first time. It gives me hope and makes me want to stamp more so that I can develop on my own talent.
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #104  
Rubber Obsessor

Default irony

Oh, that is too hilarious! I thought Sharon's comment was tongue in cheek, as a way to introduce the Fan Club information. I didn't even notice the dates on this thread until much later reading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #105  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

This is all fabulously encouraging to a person who perceives herself as having no talent or "eye". Maybe someday my ability to work carefully will produce stuff that I like and that I'm reasonably confident other people will like, too.

Anyway, I'm bumping this.

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #106  
Crimping Master

Default Thanks for posting this

I am a true over achiever. I started stamping to distract me during some nasty medical tests. Boy those first cards were bad. I started SU and got better. I find that since I have been stamping even more I am getting better. Looking at the work of people here has shown me things I like and given me better ideas on putting things together. The overachiever in me wants it to come easy, but it is work and it is sure worth it. I appreciate all the people that share their work and techniques so we can all get better. Thanks for the great thoughts!

My Blog - Just me and the dog (stamping too)

My little gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #107  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Only in America, huh! Err, I mean, only on SCS!!! LOL!!! Believe me, if I made it to the Dirty Dozen in the short time I had been on SCS, that is truly proof of the fact that any of you can do it as well!!! Just put your nose to the grind stone and try, try, try!!! The sky's the limit --

But you want to know something even stranger. That comment I made quoted above -- well it was answered by someone giving me the link to the Fan Club. And you know who that was -- Mona Lisa. She was not yet Dirty; however, she and I would come to serve on the DDDT together for probably 4months, I think. Now what are the chances, of all the tens of thousands of people on here, that I would ask a question about the Dirty Dozen, Lisa would answer it, and some months down the road we would be on the Design Team together -- I have thought of that before -- strange, huh!!!

Well now, I think I'd better go and re-read this entire thread. Has this been the most read thread ever -- does anyone know? It always keep resurfacing, and for good reason!

Sharon you are a sweetheart. I struggle alot with feeling that I'm just not quite good enough. Thank you for the pushing my motivation button. I needed that!!!
This thread is really a great read.
Check out my new Blog: stampin & stylin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #108  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love this thread because it reiterates the real reason we all stamp--because it is a creative outlet and we just want someone (anyone??) to appreciate all of our hard work.

It is only important what you feel about your own work--compared to last year...i am dirty (haha) and I hope next year when i see this post, I will have improved so much more...

Thanks dirty girls who take the time to share their talents and hard work with us in the gallery each month. You are truly inspiring!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #109  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, I needed this. I think to date this is the most significant thread I have read on this site. I thank all of you and all the rest for this place. Opening this up this morning and getting half way thru then realizing it is an oldy but goodie made me think. I have read it all and also hit each and every blog and gallery to just learn. I found out something about myself that is SOOOOOOOO going to move me forward. This seems like the time and place to share it. I found I am not Dirty worthy, I am not SCS worthy. I have used this site and all is wonder to avoid creativity. I have chased accitate, cuttlebugs, glitter, and glues to avoid what is really my goal To use my creativity to make a living. I have the talent, I have the tools, I have the desire, and it is not enough. I also have the FEAR!!!!!! I have allowed the fear to choke me. I give my creativity to family and friends and get responses that are grand to say the least. I have sold cards for $5.00 without a blink of an eye to strangers. Yet, I come here and think I am not worthy. I see others work and think to self mine does not come close. I need to rework my self and know it ain't about worthy or self judgement, it's about steppin out there and making it happen. It's about using this as the tool it is meant to be. Learning. Knowledge is Power, and I know I am not coming across with what all this thread has meant to me. Just please know it's a light bulb moment and I thank each and everyone who has participated then and now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #110  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

This has always been my favorite thread and I was glad to see it back up this morning
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #111  
Matboard Maniac

What an inspiration! I'm so glad I came across this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #112  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally know that I get a lot of inspiration and learn and try new techniques from the resources area of SCS. My work has gotten much better over the years and I owe a lot of that to the talented folks who come to this site. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #113  
Die Cut Diva

What a great thread! I was shocked to see that it started a year ago!

Great words of advice by everyone!

And there are lots of things that end up in the trash or never get a picture taken of them.

Ugly cards happen to everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #114  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

wow, first time reading through this thread, great words of inspiration and advice. I am "fairly" new to SCS but have jumped in joining challenges and all the fun stuff this site has to offer. Love the DD gallery, so glad I am a fan club member. I love how the personality of each DD member just seeps through their art! Love that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #115  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, I'm so glad this thread got bumped back up. I haven't seen it before. Thank you all for sharing your great insight. I have learned a lot from this thread that hopefully I will remember to apply.;) I love the dirty girl t-shirt idea too. :mrgreen: How about

When I grow up, I want to be DIRTY:lol:!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #116  
ch
Mad Swapper

I'll bump this thread back to the top! It is a great read!!!! Now I'm off to my stamping "studio' to create!! Working in a 'studio' sounds so much better than a plain ole craft room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #117  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by chView Post
I'll bump this thread back to the top! It is a great read!!!! Now I'm off to my stamping "studio' to create!! Working in a 'studio' sounds so much better than a plain ole craft room!
Yes it does, I like the sound of those words better than stamp room too! Are we dirty worthy now! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #118  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71View Post
Yes it does, I like the sound of those words better than stamp room too! Are we dirty worthy now! ;)
We are on our way!!! (at least I think after 3 years I may have the courage to start a gallery)!!!! SCS what a great community!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #119  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Fantastic thread! All I can say is stamp, stamp and stamp some more. I love to occasionally look way back in my gallery and see how much this site has help me grow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #120  
Pearl-ExPert

I think for me it's reminding myself that just because I'm not a dirty girl doesn't mean I can't be a great stamper. There are lots of great stampers out their without a dirty label, and I think sometimes we put ourselves down before anyone else gets a chance.

That, and I remember that a fixing a mistake on a card is often the push I need to make it a great card.
Reply With Quote Likes