Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
Hi Ladies!!!
I just wanted to say ''THANK YOU" for ALL of your help in learning Design! I offended someone here on this thread and wanted to say I'm SORRY!!!! Not only am I not knowledgeable on card design, but I'm not too swift at the computer either!!!! I didn't realize there was a link on a post and I'm sorry for that!!!! I am one who doesn't like to offend people and when I do, I feel I should MAKE IT RIGHT!!!! If you haven't read the first post by Rubbernecker, PLEASE DO SO!!!! It is QUITE ENCOURAGING!!!! I read something like this quite awhile back, but sometimes we forget! Again, I AM SORRY for the misunderstanding and if there were hurt feelings!!! I APPRECIATE ALL OF THE ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!!
It's all good TLady! I wasn't offended at all...I could tell people weren't seeing the link I posted so I wanted to clarify that was what I meant by "old". That thread is an "oldie but a goodie". You're getting a lot of good advice on this thread and I hope people continue to add their thoughts.

Have a great day!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks Rubbernecker!!!!
The computer is a blessing in many ways, and in others it's a curse!!!! LOADS of information and sharing, but you can't see the persons' face when you talk, or hear the inflection of the voice!!!! It's helped us ALL be busier than we need to be, yet helped to cut down time on things!!! IT'S ALL ABOUT COMMUNICATION!!!!! When you think you've offended someone, go to them! Talk things out, even here on the computer!!!! AND make a "FRIEND" in the process!!!! Thanks Rubbernecker!!!! You've made me feel better and I DID enjoy the thread you posted!!!! Thanks again!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Hi Ladies!!!
I sure hope SOMEONE can help me! I have been stamping about 3 years and would REALLY like to know if ANYONE can help me learn the "theory" of card making! Some may call it card sketch, templates.... I know there HAS TO BE a method of coming up with your own sketches! I read somewhere one theory---something like three lines that come together, there you place your focal point... Does ANYONE know? Those cards that use a specific sketch look so tailored! I would LOVE to learn HOW TO DO IT too! Just can't seem to find anyone that seems to know what I'm talking about! I always end up doing a collage card instead! Thank you for ALL of your help!!!!
DESPERATE TO LEARN!!!!!
Adding my 2cents in seperate post...hope this works! I jotted some notes in word...need to copy/paste it to a "fresh new box-post" haha!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi! This caught my eye because I am a card makin' FREAK! haha No, seriously, this is a question I have personally answered before while teaching classes privately and at Michaels.

This may sound corny, but we ALL get dressed in the morning to start our day-we don't wear jeans under a formal gown, we don't wear a sexy maids uniform over nurse scrubs!!! 1 outfit-1 idea

So the very first thing I say to a card design class is when you get dressed in the morning-you decide on (1) outfit to wear--whether it's jeans, office apparel or nurse scrubs...you choose (1) outfit to put on your body for the day.

Break it down in your head 1 step at a time:

1) Pick the subject of your card; Example: Adult Birthday Greeting.

2) Choose materials; paper, cardstock, doodads, (ribbons/brads/embellies)

3) No cutting anything-no scoring--just pull your "outfit together" in one spot in front of you.

4) Format of the card: size, style, coordinating envy (in your head)

5) Stamp out rough draft on scrap-sizing up all contents

6) Color coordinate markers/pencils etc to the materials you have chosen

7) If you are choosing a subject matter with a stamp that is a person/animal choose some component that goes with it; zebra's don't stand in the middle of a greeting card...they need grass under them, perhaps a sun, some airy clouds...Or if the subject is a person coordinate if you are going to frame that stamp with coordinating colors of card stock (layering) or if for instance it's a woman in a party dress (shoes, purse, pearls) to go with someone dressed in a party dress. If it is a birthday cake, find or make confetti, candles and have a birthday present near the focus of the birthday cake.

8 ) Size of stamps and layout: Make sure the dimensions fit proportionately. Example; if the focus is a woman in a party dress and she’s 1 inch big, you don’t want her pearls to be the size of a car tire next to her in the center of the card!

9) Stamp, cut out and do a dry design (no glue yet) to make sure your idea is being conveyed. If you find some blank space that needs ‘a lil’ somethin’…do 3 bling pieces, maybe a tiny heart stamp near the subject matter or you need to ‘puff up the card a bit with 2-dimentionals. {Rather than the pearl necklace stamp—I would make a “real” looking pearl necklace with a string of beads next to the woman in the party dress…or even better—make it around her neck before you glue her to the paper!} Just a touch of…punch ‘oh that’s cute’…thinking outside the box.

10) Finally, straight lines-neatness-quality papers/cardstock – less is more and don’t get too carried away with ‘doodads’…remember the outfit…no chandelier earrings with that nurse scrub outfit…no dirty cowboy boots with the formal gown! 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry, I do get 'carried away' with this subject...I'll share (2) real simple cards...Hanna stamps come with a variety of components on her subjects...I picked 2-3 of the coordinating componets for my 6x6 cards....

Pile of leaves card; I see Hanna JUMPING-simple no message on front
Power X 3 Super Hanna...I just LOVE the phone booth--it's 2-d with clear acitate -even the stickers look puffy (2-d)
Attached Thumbnails
Card making "theory"-falling-leaves.jpg   Card making "theory"-jess-powerx-girls.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Susanne527!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Quote:

Hi Ladies!!!
I sure hope SOMEONE can help me! I have been stamping about 3 years and would REALLY like to know if ANYONE can help me learn the "theory" of card making! Some may call it card sketch, templates.... I know there HAS TO BE a method of coming up with your own sketches! I read somewhere one theory---something like three lines that come together, there you place your focal point... Does ANYONE know? Those cards that use a specific sketch look so tailored! I would LOVE to learn HOW TO DO IT too! Just can't seem to find anyone that seems to know what I'm talking about! I always end up doing a collage card instead! Thank you for ALL of your help!!!!
DESPERATE TO LEARN!!!!!
Think I remember something from art classes on the theory of design, but heck if I can remember it now, so I just use all the wonderful sketches out there that have been designed by those that either remember what they learned, or just have a natural knack. Either way, why reinvent the wheel?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

there is a great book by hot off the press called design elements that shows some great theories for cardmaking and layouts. it includes the rule of uneven numbers amongst many.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

SUPER, Kathleen Mc!!!!!! I'll have to check that out!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

subbing, this thread has awesome info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #52  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieDeeView Post
I have to say it ....

You know you can subscribe by clicking on Thread Tools and then selecting the Subscribe to this Thread option.

I subscribe to a number of threads and get all excited thinking I'm getting an update - but what I received was a "subbing" post.

I'm trying to be helpful - not critical - and I hope it reads that way.
Whoops - sorry! And thanks for the info! I had seen others do it and didn't realize. Still trying to get the hang of how the forum works - including why I didn't get a notification about your post, which I'm willing to bet is answered around here somewhere and probably has to do with being logged in - but that's a topic for another thread. Back to card theory! I'm learning a lot!

Stamp Revolution

http://stamprevolution.com

More stamps for more people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #53  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I agree!!
Reply With Quote Likes