Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2021, 01:00 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear stamp corrosion?

Hello crafters!

I hope this is a good place to ask. I've been doing some art journaling this morning and pulled out an older set of clear stamps. I noticed that a couple of them had strange brownish blackish.. Incrustations in them, just one or two.

Any idea what that is? I googled around and didn't find anything. Not sure if I should just throw these out? :( they are good stamps but those things look weird.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2021, 05:14 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

Do they still stamp? ( that's the main thing for me, if the clear stamps stain or change color that doesn't really effect the stamping abilities I keep them)
my very first ones I ever purchased they the material of the stamps them selves deteriorated over time, and I pitched those it took me many years to start collecting the new material clear stamps are mostly made from now. ( don't ask me how to spell it but, it has half the alphabet in it) starts with a P though.

hth,
your going to get the tool inky to play with it anyways right? so, if it stamps keep it the what color it is doesn't really make much difference if it will transfer the ink pattern for you.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
dahlia19 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 05:41 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

A few of mine have yellowed and/or gotten gummy, but I've never had crusty stuff.

@JBgreendawn , do you mean photopolymer? Those are the better ones. Acrylic stamps are the ones that yellow and get gummy over time.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
JBgreendawn (09-18-2021), LizSwickley (09-19-2021), pepperann (09-18-2021), Valeriesc (09-21-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

As mentioned above, photopolymer are far better than the previous acrylics of several years ago. Most major stamp companies are proud to mention they use high quality photopolymer.

When cleaning stamps, we're adding various chemicals to the stamps. Those chemicals vary from the very strong to the very mild types. I'm frugal when using Superior's Ultra Clean, particularly on photopolymer. Water-based cleaners don't have that solvent odor, so I feel like those have been safer o my photopolymer. Dish soap + water might remove the "gunky stuff" from your stamp(s). [Air dry afterwards.] That often helps bring back the ability for the stamp to stick to the acrylic block. There''s nothing to lose in giving the stamp a bath in dish soapy water! ;) Good luck with your stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasGrammy:
Mischelle1 (09-28-2021), Valeriesc (09-21-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

There has been a lot of talk about what clear stamps are stored on....we seem to want duralar grafix as I recall? Some companies sell it to you on that and some don't and some people will transfer to it-they buy it for that purpose. I remember people saying the stamp eroded on acetate...but not crud. Hmm.

This is a shorter discussion but links to older longer ones

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/storing-photopolymer-stamps-original-packaging-635531/

But yes-photopolymers are the 'best' clear stamps to get. I don't know if all companies mention it on the packaging or on their websites.

Having said all that.....we have been told that staining is actually the mark of a good stamp. It isn't as pretty as new but still functions fine.

Crud? I would do as Texasgrammy said and try soaking them in a safe soapy water or something. Maybe something spilled on it in the past and it is just aging out ugly? I might guess that you can also run them across a stamp scrubber pad...they sell those. I have to say they are really great for getting to tiny detail crevices that my regular cleaning with a microfiber does not. One side is the scrubber and one side is the wipe it off. There are several versions of it. This way I also avoid scratching or digging into a clear stamp by trying to my fingernail etc.

this is the simple Ranger one-does not come in a plastic case.

https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Dritz-Bobbin-Heavy-Duty/dp/B000WWMH2K

With the plastic casing-note: some say they are good with all inks and some don't and specifically tell you to stay away from solvents. This is just three-SU has one and if you google it you will see many choices. However we have been told not to use Stazon and it's cleaner on clear stamps anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Dritz-Bobbin-Heavy-Duty/dp/B000WWMH2K

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/Hero-Arts-DOUBLE-SCRUBBER-PAD-Stamp-Cleaner-nk301-17292?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv5uKBhD6ARIsAGv9a-z4WkatvGDgYvVoberpa5JLt7s_ChJMb93P3p76kr9JFh-mXV71VRUaAg5lEALw_wcB

https://www.papersource.com/craft/rubber-stamp-cleaning-pad-850301.html

hope something in there helps

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing I've learned is after cleaning them (what ever method you choose), allow them to dry before putting them back in the pouch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

My experience over several years has been that some clear, or photopolymer, stamps stained with certain inks but that has never caused a deterioration of the stamping quality. Ditto with those that yellowed. However I have never used Stazon or similar cleaners on photopolymer stamps, which I recall reading would cause deterioration. I've always used SU water-based cleaner or dish soap as TexasGrammy recommended. I hope that helps!

Splitcoast Color Challenge Design Team

Visit my blog: www.stefperry.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2021, 08:06 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stampin Up Stamps

So we shouldn’t use Stazon with Stampin Up stamps? Stazon only use with rubber stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2021, 06:02 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin0522GeminiView Post
So we shouldn’t use Stazon with Stampin Up stamps? Stazon only use with rubber stamps?
It's the StazOn cleaner that seems to be a problem for some. I've used StazOn and the cleaner on my clear stamps, and I haven't had any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts

When I use Stazon Cleaner, I immediately follow it with a "stamp bath" in soapy water. Then I rinse well and air dry. I have not had any deterioration issues with this method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2021, 07:02 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeronaSueView Post
When I use Stazon Cleaner, I immediately follow it with a "stamp bath" in soapy water. Then I rinse well and air dry. I have not had any deterioration issues with this method.
Yep. I rinse off all my cleaners with a wet cloth.
Reply With Quote Likes