Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting out su stamps

JUst wondering if it is difficult to cut out and mount the su stamps? I have the idea book and read it in there, but not sure I want to attempt it...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I think it is really easy. I was really nervous at first, but as long as you have really sharp, short blade (lengthwise) scissors, you will be fine. SU offers scissors specifically for this, but you can also get similar scissors at Meijer or Michaels. Once you start, you will be addicted. Good luck!!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Do you have to cut the shape or just in a square shape?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Not to worry! Just start with your least favorite stamp......just kidding! If you have any simple shaped ones, like a squareish one, that'd probably be easiest to start with. Remember to make straight cuts, don't try to cut on a curve. This means you may have to go over an area more than once, coming from different angles, before it's trimmed close.

If you don't have the SU rubber scissors, find the sharpest pair you can. The biggest thing probably is that you want to make sure your scissors are NOT slanted at an angle so that your edge winds up like this: /. Pretend you're looking at that slash I typed as if it's the side of the stamp. The top is the rubber, the bottom the foam. You do NOT want the top of the stamp, the rubber, hanging out over the edge of the foam.

Also, if you are cutting a very small stamp, like a letter or a long line, don't trim it smaller than 1/4" or so wide or it might wobble when you stamp. I sometimes purposely put an angle in the stamp then, only with the foam a little wider than the rubber, like this \.

Have fun, don't be nervous! I just wish I could cut out the several sets I have sitting here, but this broken wrist is gettin' in the way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by heather42
Do you have to cut the shape or just in a square shape?
You want to get it as close as possible, but only in straight lines. You aren't suppose to cut in curves. It is really simple. If you have a Demo I'm sure she would be more than willing to show you before you buy. I would ask if she has a stamp that has not been cut yet and let her know you would like to see her do it before you decide to order. You'll see how easy it is.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 06:06 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best tools I ever bought was the SU Scissors for cutting rubber! These things are the best!
I love cutting and mounting my new sets. My boss, who's also into stamping, brings her new sets to work so that I can cut them for her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

If your worried about cutting them yourself, just ask your demo to help you out. I'm sure she would love to help you, and give you lots of tips. I'm wierd I guess, but I just love cutting and mounting my own stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

lindseyhol,

You're not weird! Not any more than I am anyways I LOVE cutting and mounting my own stamps - it's like my bonding time with them. Okay, maybe that does sound a bit weird, but I still won't let anyone else mount my stamps for me.

I was scared of it at first too, and I had to go back and retrim my early sets because I was too scared to get close to the image and ended up with bad shadow lines when I used the stamps. Now I'm not scared and it's just good fun!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I also love to mount stamps! Most definately a bonding time! :lol: All the advice you've received is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:08 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Thanks so much everyone. It is difficult to envision without a stamp in front of me, but I will refer to these directions when I purchase a stamp set. My demostrator does not live close to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:26 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

It's not hard to do, just intimidating the first time you do it.
But it really is so much easier if you have the rubber cutting scissors.
You won't believe the difference after you try them.
HTH,
NY Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 08:24 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Has anyone used the Fiskars craft scissors? They look very similar to the ones SU sells, so I bought them. Now, I wonder whether they cut as well because I'm not thrilled with the edges I'm getting; they're kind of scraggly. Before I invest in another pair, I want to make sure that they're better than what I have.

Opinions? TIA for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 09:04 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I got my SU! scissors free using my demo rewards. I have never looked back, any of my customers who have tried them (and you almost have to try them to believe how great they are) have bought them immediately. Before I had them, I used a really sharp pair of kitchen scissors, and I thought that was good. But nothing I've found compares to the SU! ones, so I quit wasting time looking. I know I got them free, but they are worth paying full price for too! (Okay - done with my li'l sales pitch...)

As for cutting out stamps - I about died when I pulled out a Christmas stamp set to use this year. CLEARLY it was the first set I ever bought! I couldn't believe the bad trim job! :oops: NOW I am positively anal about it. So you will get better with practice, so that is an excuse to keep on buying more stamps! And on the plus side, if you end up not taking enough off and don't notice until years later, it's not too late! Pop in the microwave for about 10 seconds to heat up the adhesive, remove, (I put it on wax paper so it doesn't get all gummed up) trim, and re-stick it back onto your wood block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:24 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, how come we aren't supposed to cut on a curve? I never understood that one. Sometimes I have stamps that I can't get to, unless I cut it this way. I never had a problem with it though when I did this.

Can someone fill me in?

TIA,
Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

how do you re-trim your older sets? I'm not sure about taking them apart. How do you re-stick them??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:40 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Duh, I didn't see that wonderful explaination. Sorry. Please return my brain if found!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by claudia4
Duh, I didn't see that wonderful explaination. Sorry. Please return my brain if found!

FUNNY! I often get caught "typing w/out usin' my brain!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:44 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Default Mounting stamps Stampin' Up! style

My opinion in mounting is this: In order to save $$$, SU supplies the materials to self mount. You also have the option to "cut off" certain parts of the stamp and mount them separately such as if there is an image and words...they are your stamps and you can decide to do this if you would like. Also, with the SU craft and rubber scissors it makes it so easy. It's like cutting with a hot knife through butter. These scissors are now also incluced in the SU demo kit too! Great investment if you mount your own stamps! Enjoy and be creative with your mounting. Once you give it a try, you'll love it! Enjoy your day!

Susan Timchack, Independent SU demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 02:41 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Okay - to address several issues in this thread...

1. You can un-mount your stamps by putting them wood-block-side down in the microwave for 8-10 seconds. That will loosen the adhesive and you can remove the rubber and foam, re-trim and then re-mount. If there is not enough adhesive left you can use rubber cement.

2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to mount stamps. It is so relaxing for me. I've started mounting all the stamps for my customers. I just got done mounting all my SAB sets - AHHH...

3. I always trim my stamps right around the images - even curves. I don't care what the directions say. My stamps are trimmed very closely to the image - curved or straight! LOL!

- Susan
www.inkedblessings.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 03:32 PM   #20  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

AngFab--I did the same thing with one of my earlier sets--boy, i sure didn't know what I was doing back then. Now, i cut as close as possible, without cutting the image.

Yes, I've seen a few sets mounted where the words are cut away from the images. I think doing that makes a set so much more versatile--one set in particular is --of course, now I'm blanking on the name and all my cattys are downstairs, but it has a leaf with thinking of you, a christmas tree with seasons greetings, a wedding car with a phrase (I think this was a hostess only set last year) and it's on my wish list to get and only because I can separate the words from the image and make the set so much more multi-purpose, if you know what I mean. I did the same w/one of the stamps in LOL, too.

I got the scissors in my demo kit. I LOVE them. I used to use a pair of DHs workshop scissors that cut really nice, but they were too big for the job, and after I did the major cutting with those, I'd go back with a xacto knife and trim closer. Get them!!! You won't regret it. Part of my demo is to pass around a baggie of scrap rubber after i demo how to assemble a stamp and let the gals see how easy it is to cut with them. I haven't sold any yet, but I'm trying!!!

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

To remove your stamps all you have to do is put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds. It will peel right off and is still sticky.
Cathy Marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh, I can identify with being nervous about it! When I got my first SU stamps, I didn't know they weren't mounted - I was CLUELESS and that was just a year ago (now I'm a demo!). You should see how I mounted those <covering eyes here>. I bought an alphabet set (Classic Double) from an SU demo not local to me - I met her online. And she VERY KINDLY offered to mount them for me. I never would've bought an alpha set if I had to do it myself - I'd be so stressed out over it!

Fast-forward a year... now I've mounted a LOT of sets myself. I had a pair of Kai scissors before I became a demo (same as the SU ones, just w/o the logo), so now I have 2 pairs and I give my customers a stamp-mounting lesson and I let them borrow a pair of my scissors. One of my best customers is so hooked on SU and will be buying her own at some point, but I'm happy to lend her my 2nd pair. <G>

I even mounted a set of Everyday Flexible Phrases for a customer (allow an hour and a half, at least, if you have a plan that is - if not, ask someone here!). When I got my STampin' Start, I got Brushstroke Double Alpha and Everyday Flexible PHrases - now I figure I can mount anything!!!

BUT... in my opinion, the hardest stamps to mount are the long skinny sentiment stamps and those darn stems of flowers - like Watercolor Garden. If you undercut the cushion, it will wobble. If you don't trim it enough, you get shadows of ink. I actually removed one of my stems from the cushion and now it's on the wood block w/o cushion.

Hope this helps someone!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 06:34 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with everything everyone has said.

Don't forget to save the rubber! You can use it for all kinds of things, like adding dimension to cards. Just cut a small piece, peel off both sides and walah! dimension. I also used this in a pinch to stick glow in the dark stars my kids got to the wall.

I used to be nervous, but in 6+ years of stamping I have never ruined a stamp. I hope that is a comfort to someone, and believe me, I am totally capable of messing things up.

If you are still needing/wanting help, perhaps there is a splitcoast member near you. I am sure someone would be glad to help. Maybe you'll make a stamping friend.

I am so glad SU lets us save $ and mount our own. I also have done some creative things with them and made them my own.

Have a lot of fun, stamping is fun.

Rainy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 08:43 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

SU says to cut them out with straight lines only. I started cutting my stamps out doing this, and it works for squares. I now cut them out curving the lines. You get ALOT closer and dont have as many mistakes getting the excess rubber in the ink and onto what you are working on. (which I had a problem with). This is my own personal preference. On those (such as the three butterflies in the flutterbys set) I cut between the rubber and the gray part of the stamp, and cut the rubber part off. I try to still cut at an angle, leaving more of the gray part. This works well for me.

~~Falicia~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, I just made a trade with someone on here for a used set. When I got her set, it was mounted beautifully and cut so close to the image that it made me wonder if I was doing it wrong!!

I always cut in straight lines because that's what I was told by my upline. I would prefer to curve, but had always wondered if that would mess things up. How many of you DO cut in a curve and just exactly how close do you cut? I would love to see photos of your mounted sets, just to compare!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 09:42 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

[quote="iagor"]Has anyone used the Fiskars craft scissors? They look very similar to the ones SU sells, so I bought them. Now, I wonder whether they cut as well because I'm not thrilled with the edges I'm getting; they're kind of scraggly. Before I invest in another pair, I want to make sure that they're better than what I have.

I Don't care for how the Fiskars cut the stamps. I use my Fiskars for so much but SU are worth the $$ if you have or plan on getting alot of the stamps. There like cutting butter with a hot knife. Ask your demo if she has a pair you can try?
Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 11:16 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUONGELI
So, how come we aren't supposed to cut on a curve? I never understood that one. Sometimes I have stamps that I can't get to, unless I cut it this way. I never had a problem with it though when I did this.

Can someone fill me in?

TIA,
Elizabeth
You are more likely to undercut the foam when you try to cut a curve. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Lynne,
I trim my stamps as close as possible to the image, and if that means cutting on a curve, then I do it. I've mounted about 150 sets and out of all those, I did nick the image on one stamp But it was only because I was rushing and careless. I think that if you pay attention and go slowly, you can cut straight, curved or whatever and it will be just fine

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 04:56 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

OK, OK... I always tell my customers to cut in straight lines because I feel like that is fool proof, BUT I must admit... I always cut as close to the image as possible. Curves and all!! I think if someone is just starting out, they should stick to the straight lines though. I've never had any issues with the stamps rocking or anything. Even with the Brushstroke Alphabet. I too love mounting my stamps! It truly is a bonding thing with my stamps!! I love it!!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 05:03 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Here is a scan of my See With the Heart stamp set from the Winter Mini. Bebedoc asked to see a scan of the rubber side. Here you go! All images copyright Stampin' Up!

- Susan
Attached Thumbnails
cutting out su stamps-scan0004.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 05:15 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow Susan,

That is an awesome cutting job!

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 06:22 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Holy cow!!!! woweeee... My stamps don't look that good and I thought I was doing all right. Good job!

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~ Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:29 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Wowza Susan! I also cut right around the image (yes, even curves) but this is a precision job! Would you mind coming to Fresno and cutting mine?? LOL! Maybe you could start a new business?? LOL!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:19 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

My personal favorite scissors for trimming are Fiskars Non-Stick as well as EK Success Honeybee Non-Stick scissors. The honeybee scissors are great because you have the great sharp, compact scissors accompanied with a non-stick surface. Although, I have never tried the SU scissors, so I can't compare them.

Morissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

I do the big cuts with my SU ones, and the littler cuts with my Honeybees. I use them for cutting a "V" into the rubber where I'd pick up smudges of ink if there's rubber between two images. I'm sure you know what I mean - hard to explain!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 11:17 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Oh, you have no idea how much I would LOVE to have a stamp trimming business. If anybody out there wants me to trim their stamps (you can see my work a few posts up), just send them to me and I will send them back!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to trim my stamps and take very good care when I do it. I'm a bit obsessive compulsive and this is one thing that I can have complete control over! Hee Hee! It's also nice because when my customers stamp at a workshop - even if they rock them - they get a nice clean image.

Ahh - it's relaxing me just thinking about having a ton of stamps to mount! LOL!
- Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Wow - I'm impressed, Susan! That's an amazing trimming job :o I thought I was precise, but I bow to your skilled workmanship! And I thought I enjoyed mounting my stamps more than the average person too, but I certainly don't have your intense passion for scissors and rubber - wish I did :lol: You were born to be a demo!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

This is the way I always cut my stamps out. It is difficult on some, but it is always worth it when you dont mess up the card
Attached Thumbnails
cutting out su stamps-love-believe.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:50 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Don't forget if you do mess one up by accident stampin up will replace it for the $3.95 shipping charge. I have never had to replace one due to cutting, but I did drop a small stamp from by upline down inside an outdoor step. Stampin Up let me order her just the one replacement stamp from the set. They are great about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I have a question about mounting the flora & fauna set. A customer just ordered this from me, and I was wondering about cutting out the center? I have never used or sold a set like this before, but it looks like the center needs to be taken out and if so.... how?
thanks
Maureen
Reply With Quote Likes