Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Over the hill and thru the woods, not really but the could be fun!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are so many great points that have already been made. I am more of an in between demo (hobby and active demo). I do do workshops but when I want to, but would love to do more. I am in one of those locations were it is harder due to finances and babysitters. I live in a military town where DH are gone a lot and people are coming and going a lot! Not to say it's impossible here.
I love SU and being a demo but I do not make enough money to support my habit let alone my family. When I joined SU I went into it knowing that I wasn't going make money. I am not a person that feels comfortable asking people to host and I definitely wouldn't approach someone at the grocery store to give them a business card. When people ask I gladly plan a workshop for them because I enjoy what I do and that there is probably the best thing I said. So I will end it there.
Good luck, make the best decision for you!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #42  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Demos...can you chime in and tell me if/where I'm wrong here? I'm working from memory on numbers and many assumptions, so feel free to correct me.

Top SU! performers are awarded with a cruise. I believe the sales minimum to acheive cruise, if you don't have a downline, is $40,000, right? So I wanted to figure out what it would take to acheive that and what a top performer like that might be earning.

If an average workshop has sales of $350, then you'd have to hold 9.5 workshops per month, or 2.4 workshops per week to meet a $40K sales goal. You'd clearly be working full time to book, prepare and hold all of those events.

With no dowline, just instant income and volume rebates, I think you'd make around 40% of that $40K, right? That's $16,000 per year gross profit, not taking into account the cost of your make & take supplies, gas, tax, business supplies, etc.

So if you were working 40 hours per week and grossing $16K per year, that's $7.69 per hour, before taxes and expenses.

Of course, if you have higher average workshop sales, and especially if you have a large downline, these numbers would be better. But I think it shows how hard you'd have to work to replace a full-time income, especially if you factor in other benefits like health insurance, sick leave, vacation, etc.
WOW- now this is depressing- I wonder what the gross is after expenses- it can't be good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I would have thought that SU would have structured it so that even at the minimum levels, it was worth your while to sign up anyone. Guess not.
Actually, unless you don't want to train another in any way whatsoever, it is worth any demonstrator's while to sign up another, regardless of what that individual's aspirations are.

During my 10 years, I never turned anyone away; I just made it clear what I was doing with it, and what I had to offer, and stressed that they sign up with me only if they felt I/what I had to offer would meet their needs and aspirations.

Quote:

And what training or support does a hobby demo really need? I only plan to order for myself and no one else. So I only need a short tutorial on how to place online orders. I can't imagine that would take all that much time as anyone here on SCS is already pretty internet savvy, right?
What's worth while for you as a potential recruit, is to interview potential uplines and find the upline that best fits your needs and aspirations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

This a very important statement! When I signed up my upline was very committed to helping me but as soon as I got my starter kit, nothing! She has never helped me in anyway what so ever. I have learned a lot from the ladies her on SCS. They have answered just about every question that I have had. With that said it would have been nice to have had that upline to kind of guide me through the early stages, and teach me some of the tricks of the trade (techniques).

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhansenView Post
Then research the facts. How many demos are in my area? Is my Upline going to be committed to ME growing my business or only out to make more money for themselves? Am I committed to growing my business and helping any downlines? What are YOU trying to achieve?

All that being said, it's all about stamping and creating! Just do what YOU want to do!

I hoped my ramblings helped! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

You can make money with SU!. I do (not a lot yet), but each year I've made more. And that's after I deduct all the money spent on product for classes and such. The key is to recruit and to train the recruits to be business minded. Of course not all demos will be "business" minded and that's OK too. You have to put yourself on a budget and you have to market yourself.

Just remember, there are more people that don't know about SU! than do! I meet people all the time that have never heard of SU! And now that SU! has expanded their product line, you can reach more people.

I would not quit my day job until I am making the money to replace that salary. And I know from a reliable source there are many demo's making more than a full time salary.

Just one more thing--you don't have to have $40000 in sales to earn cruise. There are other options with less sales, but you have to have recruits promote based on their sales and recruiting.

To the OP, if it's something you think you can do, go for it! It's a low money risk (I would recommend the $199 Starter Kit because it's a better deal and you get a free stamp set). But, you have to have a plan, set time aside to work your business and treat SU! like a business.

Good luck to you in your decision!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

Wow,
Thank you to all who have posted and to all who have emailed me.
You have all provided me with great information and advise - Will continue to think about becoming a demo. Don't think I'll give up my day job just yet though
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaVBView Post
It's not that they don't *want* to sign hobby demos. Sometimes they get bonuses, or qualify for certain levels just by the sheer numbers of demos under them.

But, if it were you and you were wanting to make money, and the fastest, easiest way to make money was off your downline sales, would you want to take the time to train a new demo, put time and effort into helping them, only to have them do the minimum?

The more productive their downlines are, the more money they make.
Actually, SU! changed that a few years ago, at least with regard to the yearly "top demo" awards (you still get product bonuses when you promote - see below). For the yearly cash awards, it's not just the number of people you recruit, it's the number of "downline promotions". Mind you, when a demo sells her first ($1,500 (or did that change to $1,000?)), she "promotes" to Sr. Associate, so that's one promotion right there. This was a good change, because it prevented demos from basically just buying peoples' kits for them in order to raise their own recruiting numbers (oh yes, this happened before that rule change, because there was big money involved in being the top recruiter). So, you can't just recruit people and leave it at that and expect to get one of the big yearly "top recruiter" cash bonuses from SU! You need to train them (of course!) and you need to help them promote, IF that's something THEY want to do. It's the number of promotions that gets you that big cash award at the end of the year. Now, you do get product bonuses or cash bonuses when you achieve certain promotions yourself. You get a one-time "promotion to Sr. Supervisor" product bonus or a one-time "promotion to Manager" product bonus, etc., etc. (I just spent my $150 Manager bonus on our SU! exclusive Sizzix dies this morning - woo hoo!) At a certain promotion level, these become cash bonuses, not product bonuses, but they are not nearly the huge amounts you get for being one of the top people for downline promotions for the year.

I am happy to have all types of demos in my downline (listen to me - ha! I only have 8 people). They all get the same training, all my team e-mails, opportunity to attend the team meetings, etc. I don't pester them, but if they need me, I'm available. I don't spend any less time on those who do only the minimums. They are all valuable to me, and I wouldn't be a Manager if it weren't for every single one of them (Woo Hoo - I get to go to Manager's Reception at Leadership Conference in January!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

I think I have read before that the most successful demos don't actually buy product for themselves, they have only a handful of sets and demo the life out of them. Their samples are SIMPLE so that it saves them time and creates the attraction that anyone can make a card for higher sales. It didn't seem like the top demos really got into the stamping for fun and creativity but just the business end of it. You have to push the product but not really use it, KWIM?

And you would absolutely need a large downline that goes on and on. Eventually you wouldn't be holding as many parties but managing a team of demo's to do that for you, and your focus would be on obtaining new demos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

So demos don't want to sign up people under them that only want to be hobby demos?

Bummer! I only want to be a hobby demo. :(

You may run into a lot of "encouragement" from your upline at first, at least that's what mine did. It was a lot of talk about where it may take me or emails and business stuff. After about 6 months of responding the same way and not holding parties she stopped pressuring me.

SU! wants you as a hobby demo, they don't care what level you are as long as you make the minimum. That's the best deal for them, the required minimum $$$ every quarter from all their demos, with new ones joining all the time. I wish I knew the # of demo's so I could guess at their profit.:eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

I know a couple of demos and it seems that they are unhappy because they spend more keeping up todate with the merchandise & also the demo locater systems kinda puts the screws to them too. They have alot of people around them , but they are not even listed.Which I do not think is fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
You may run into a lot of "encouragement" from your upline at first, at least that's what mine did. It was a lot of talk about where it may take me or emails and business stuff. After about 6 months of responding the same way and not holding parties she stopped pressuring me.

SU! wants you as a hobby demo, they don't care what level you are as long as you make the minimum. That's the best deal for them, the required minimum $$$ every quarter from all their demos, with new ones joining all the time. I wish I knew the # of demo's so I could guess at their profit.:eek:
Ummm, okay....wow! BIG turn-off for me right there. It's making me reconsider even being a demo. I have a full time job that pays extremely well that I would never, ever leave for a direct sales job. I also have 3 small children and no desire to hold workshops, stamp clubs, or camps. My free time is too valuable to me.

I just want a lot of SU products and thought that being a demo would give me the discount. I can meet the minimums easily myself. Geez, now I don't know what to do. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Ummm, okay....wow! BIG turn-off for me right there. It's making me reconsider even being a demo. I have a full time job that pays extremely well that I would never, ever leave for a direct sales job. I also have 3 small children and no desire to hold workshops, stamp clubs, or camps. My free time is too valuable to me.

I just want a lot of SU products and thought that being a demo would give me the discount. I can meet the minimums easily myself. Geez, now I don't know what to do. :confused:
`So dont worry about it! Just tell your future upline that you are only going as a hobbiest and not into the bizness side. that is the thing about direct sales, your set your hours and if you dont feel like pushing your bisiness then dont worry about it!. good luck

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Well that was just my experience, although there are a lot of threads about demo's who don't have an upline or were abandoned. If you find a demo that understands what you want and respects that then you should be fine.

I was just really surprised when I signed up because I had been a customer for 5 years and my demo NEVER talked to me about joining or anything, I approached her. Then when I asked her about it all of a sudden it became a lot of emails, and her wanting to have coffee and chat and business stuff. I have 2 small girls and had to really get my point accross that I seriously only wanted the discount.

I'm not sure if she had many downlines or if this got her excited about it because within 6 months of me asking her about it she recruited about 4 other ladies that attend the stamp clubs I went to.

Anyway, I joined last August and will be dropping soon. I was a SU lover for 5 years but the last 2 catalogs have not been my taste. So having to meet my own minimums on paper and supplies was just not as fun. I think that's the biggest issue for a hobby demo, if you don't like what's in the catty you then have to buy 300 of something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

There are a lot of great comments here! Thanks for being honest! It just helps me to think about my "business" too. Stamping is my hobby and even when I do workshops I do them because it�s fun. If the pressure would be there to earn money I�m sure the fun is the first thing I�ll forget!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I was very clear with my upline that I was signing up because I was purchasing so much I felt it was worth getting the discount. (Not because I was worried about lots of pressure, but because I wanted her to know why I was signing up so there were no surprises.) I have ended up doing a bit more than that and have more of a business than I ever planned on. I actually just started a club and do several stamp camps and the occasional workshop. I love doing my camps and the club is turning out to be so much fun. But, back to my upline, she has been great. If I need anything, she is a phone call away and she doesn't treat any of her downline differently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post

This is why you should be VERY CAREFUL when picking an upline! It also depends on what you want from your upline! My upline and I talk about once a month.... maybe. But that's OK, that's what I wanted (plus she lives halfway across the country! LOL)! My downline and I, on the other hand, live across the street from each other and talk almost weekly! Not necessarily about business stuff, but everything in general. It's ALL in what you need! I was previously with a makeup DS company and quit within a year because (a) my upline never contacted me - not even when I signed my paperwork and (b) they REQUIRED me to go to weekly meetings! I had a baby at home and kinda enjoy spending time with her AND DH (go figure, right! LOL). So when choosing my upline, I made sure to avoid being put in the same situation.

As for someone turning away a potential downline - that's insane! Everyone should be welcome! That's our motto - to love what we do and share what we love! All are welcome in my downline (small as it may be currently ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:23 AM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

[/QUOTE]As for someone turning away a potential downline - that's insane! Everyone should be welcome! That's our motto - to love what we do and share what we love! All are welcome in my downline (small as it may be currently ;) )[/QUOTE]

So true! I personally have never heard of anyone turning away a potential downline, but you are right about that motto. I have never turned anyone away and I would hope that nobody else would either.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by vensung1View Post
WOW- now this is depressing- I wonder what the gross is after expenses- it can't be good.
That calculations is depressing, but it's also not quite accurate IMO. Setting aside the fact that it does not take downline overrides or quarterly performance bonuses into account, for a successful demonstrator doing 2.4 workshops per week should not take 40 hours of work -- at most it might take 10. So when you multiply that "per hour" figure by 4 it starts looking a little better. Even if you add some routine business stuff on top of the 2.4 workshops and double the time spent to 20 hours per week without adding any income, the hourly rate is still pretty good for doing what you love (assuming you love being a demo) on a part-time basis where you're your own boss and get to set your own schedule and work around your other obligations.

Also, while it's true that it's difficult to build a direct sales business without working either evenings or weekends, it's not necessary to do both. You need to decided when you want to do workshops or classes and then look for customers whose life fits the same pattern as you. Let's say that you want to work Wednesday through Thursday. You find the first hostess who wants to do a a Wednesday workshop. At her party you meet a whole bunch of other potential hostesses who do not mind getting together on a Wednesday, so they will book their workshops for a Wednesday. In turn, at their parties you will meet more customers who like Wednesday evenings get-togethers. And so on, and so forth. The trick is having the discipline to say no when someone tells you they want a party on a day you don't want to work. If they insist you can always refer them to a downline, upline or sideline, but you just tell them if they want you, they need to do a Wednesday party.

Truly, being a demo is a fantastic opportunity and you can do as little or as much with it as you want, depending on the work you're willing to put into it. This is not a business where people will come knocking down your door as soon as you sign up, so if you're not willing to go out and let people know what you do in person or by phone, chances are your business will not be huge. But the beauty is that if you want to keep the business small, you can, and if you want to make it huge you can as well.

Of course there are outside forces that impact any business, but the fact that some of SU's top selling demos live in Michigan (a fairly economically depressed state) and that I personally know demos who live across the street from one another in a "heavily demo saturated" Chicago suburb, yet both earn the cruise every year for the past 5 years, tells me that for the determined person these outside factors are just challenges that they are excited to overcome, rather than impossible obstacles to their success.

The best thing about SU is that the value of the starter kit is so tremendous that even if you sign up and you find out that you don't want to be a demo, you've lost nothing. You get to keep all those great products you got at a discount and if you want to sign up again after you drop, you can! There aren't many businesses out there that have such a low-risk and low up-front investment, so if you think this is something you might want to do, go for it! Just please, as has already been mentioned several times, do the up-front homework and find the right upline so that you will at least have one "outside factor" stacked in your favor right at the outset.

Good luck to all those thinking about signing up! With the specials going on right now, it's exactly the right time to sign up. So do a little upline due diligence and hop aboard. Whether you're in it for the business or the hobby, long term or short term, it's just fun being part of the SU family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Please don't let one person's experience be your deciding factor. I have hobby demo's in my downline and I'm totally OK with that. However, I do include them in all emails that I send to my downline. So, they may get information on the "business" side and they also see my challenges/incentives for building a business. They know that these are "out there" if they choose, but I don't hound them to participate. My guess, is that most demo's are like that as well. You just need to make sure your potential upline knows why you are signing up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by vensung1View Post
Yes, and I think the "average workshop" quoted is high. I only had two workshops, but both of them were under $200. And I wasn't able to generate bookings off either of them, so that was kind of the end of the line for me.

I wonder if the average workshop numbers are skewed by hobby demos who place only one order per quarter to keep their minimums?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
What's worth while for you as a potential recruit, is to interview potential uplines and find the upline that best fits your needs and aspirations!

This is probably one of the best peices of advice in this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
Yes, and I think the "average workshop" quoted is high. I only had two workshops, but both of them were under $200. And I wasn't able to generate bookings off either of them, so that was kind of the end of the line for me.

I wonder if the average workshop numbers are skewed by hobby demos who place only one order per quarter to keep their minimums?
Actually most hobby demos probably place their orders as demosntrator orders, not workshop orders, so their numbers would not even figure into the average.

I think the average workshop is eactly that -- average. that measn that some people will fall below and others will fall well above. The average workshop for cuise earnersis typically higher than the average workshop for non-cruise earners, probably because the cruise earners do workshops more often and have figured out what makes workshops successful for them. They also probably worked with their hostesses to ensure sufficient attendance for a great workshop, which benefits the hostess as well as the demonstrator.

Having successful workshops and getting bookings from those workshops takes practice. I suppose some people may have the personality to be great at it from the start, butf or most of us the more we do it the better we get at it. It's a bit of trial and error to figure out how best to do the catalog tour, how to do the demonstrations and make and takes, and how to encourage guests to book their own workshops. What works for one demosntrator may not work for another. The trick is to learn from each experience and improve on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinmomnhView Post
I know a couple of demos and it seems that they are unhappy because they spend more keeping up todate with the merchandise & also the demo locater systems kinda puts the screws to them too. They have alot of people around them , but they are not even listed.Which I do not think is fair.
This is a fascinating thread for me. I am seriously thinking of becoming a demo- and a business one, not a hobby one- with one of the companies when I retire in 3 years.

The quote above is the one I have questions about. I have tried to find a SU demo in my area and the "finder" on the SU website keeps giving me demos in New Jersey! It may be closer as the crow flies, but I really don't feel like crossing the bridge everytime I want to go to something SU. Also, I am having a hard time believing that the closest demo in Pennsylvania is about 15 miles away.

So, how does the demo lister work? How do you get not listed? Or listed? It would appear from the finder that there are no demos anywhere near me- which would be good, if that is accurate.

Would love to hear from some of the demos here how this works. TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #64  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
This is a fascinating thread for me. I am seriously thinking of becoming a demo- and a business one, not a hobby one- with one of the companies when I retire in 3 years.

The quote above is the one I have questions about. I have tried to find a SU demo in my area and the "finder" on the SU website keeps giving me demos in New Jersey! It may be closer as the crow flies, but I really don't feel like crossing the bridge everytime I want to go to something SU. Also, I am having a hard time believing that the closest demo in Pennsylvania is about 15 miles away.

So, how does the demo lister work? How do you get not listed? Or listed? It would appear from the finder that there are no demos anywhere near me- which would be good, if that is accurate.

Would love to hear from some of the demos here how this works. TIA
Right now, demos have to have $900 in 3 month rolling sales to be listed on the locater and have chosen to Opt-in to the locater. Once online shopping is activated, any demo with a DBWS (Demonstrator Business Web Site) will be listed (again, IF they opted-in).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #65  
Mad Swapper

You must have a certain running total of sales in a 90 day period to be listed on the locator. I can't remember what the amount is, though. $500? Any current demos on here?

So yes, it does benefit those working their businesses and not the hobbiest (unless they have a REALLY GOOD quarter! - but then they're removed as soon as their sales go back down).

Boy, am I typing SLOW today! $900 - no wonder I never got on there!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #66  
Crimping Master

As a newer demo, though I might not feel comfortable right now signing up a new demo, I would not turn them away (regardless if they declared they wanted to be hobby or business).

I would make it clear as to what I have to offer. I would be certain to show them my own talents so that they would know whether my style meshed with theirs. I would ensure that they have the resources they need to build a business whether at the hobby level or the cruise achiever level.

I think it ultimately boils down to what you want to put into it. Yes talent and love of the product are one aspect. But salesmanship is also a huge factor. You need to be able to sell yourself, your classes as well as product to make it in this business (or any other direct sales business).

I do find it easier to sell a product that i feel comfortable using and a company I feel proud to work with/for. For me, I would not be successful as CTMH or TAC as I simply do not like acrylic stamps. I am a wood & rubber girl.

I have not expanded much on my own business lately due to personal tragedy. But as my son goes back to school in a couple of weeks I will be ready to move forward and expand what i want/need to do to be successful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

make $$?? What's that?

Seriously, you must WORK, WORK, WORK at it to make any money and have a considerable downline. BUT, it can be done. You just need to be motivated, dedicated and have the willpower NOT to buy everything that SU has to offer.

I'm a hobby demo with a club, but that's all I want to be. I don't even pay for my hobby anymore. (if SU didn't come out with so many wonderful things, and if I had more will power, it might be a different story!)

Good luck, there's some good advice above!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #68  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1mom02View Post
As a newer demo, though I might not feel comfortable right now signing up a new demo, I would not turn them away (regardless if they declared they wanted to be hobby or business).

I would make it clear as to what I have to offer. I would be certain to show them my own talents so that they would know whether my style meshed with theirs. I would ensure that they have the resources they need to build a business whether at the hobby level or the cruise achiever level.

I think it ultimately boils down to what you want to put into it. Yes talent and love of the product are one aspect. But salesmanship is also a huge factor. You need to be able to sell yourself, your classes as well as product to make it in this business (or any other direct sales business).

I do find it easier to sell a product that i feel comfortable using and a company I feel proud to work with/for. For me, I would not be successful as CTMH or TAC as I simply do not like acrylic stamps. I am a wood & rubber girl.

I have not expanded much on my own business lately due to personal tragedy. But as my son goes back to school in a couple of weeks I will be ready to move forward and expand what i want/need to do to be successful.

Just to chime in here a little bit. TAC does not sell Acrylic Stamps. They sell unmounted Rubber Stamps.

We are a cross between SU and CTMH (this is my way of thinking.)

Rubber Stamping using a Acrylic Block to stamp with.

As a Demo you can make some money. Depending on your Downline size and sales.

Where you live is important. Sometime's living where they're are no Craft Hobby stores. You could sell alot more to your fellow stampers and scappers.

You're a go getter! Have classes, A Buyers group.

Since I became a Demo for the Angel Co. 4 years ago. I finally started seeing a little bit of a profit. Each year get's better and better.

With my 25% commission ( Our's is not instant income) Most of it goes back into my business.

Alot of the ladies have bought up some really good things to think about.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #69  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Downlines ?

Could anyone tell me the financial benefit of having a downline? I am looking at signing up in the next couple of days and wonder what I can expect to receive after signing up someone under me. Is it a percentage of their sales? How much? And do you receive it for as long as they are selling?

TIA!
Rachel:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #70  
Kookie Creator

I'm not a demonstrator but the woman I order from makes a good living as a demonstrator. But stampin up is pretty much her life - she breathes it!! She has 3 children and works all the time. But she makes good money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 06:39 AM   #71  
Cardstock Collector

This is a very informative thread. If I reach the point of signing up it will be as a hobby demo, definitely. I hate sales. I guess I can sign up with anyone who has a website, right? The only demo I ever contacted in this area has never responded, so I would need an upline from.....anywhere else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

The OP was clear on what she wanted and she got alot of great info.

"Sit down and have a long talk with yourself and a pen and paper and decide why do I want to do this? What do I expect to achieve? Am I willing to give up time for people to DO this job?"

I think that this bears repeating. What do you want out of it and can you get that out of SU! as at a hobby level? If not what will it take to get to the level where your needs are met? Be really honest with yourself and then in time you will know if SU! is for you now or maybe later in life.

HTH

Stamping my scrapbook pages away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by skoopView Post
This is a very informative thread. If I reach the point of signing up it will be as a hobby demo, definitely. I hate sales. I guess I can sign up with anyone who has a website, right? The only demo I ever contacted in this area has never responded, so I would need an upline from.....anywhere else!
Susan, you can go to www.stampinup.com and go to the Demonstrator Locator. You can put your address in and get some demo's near you. One will show up first, but then click on the "see more" link and 10 demos' names will show up. But, yes, you can sign up under any demo online as long as she/he has an SU! website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly-mooView Post
Could anyone tell me the financial benefit of having a downline? I am looking at signing up in the next couple of days and wonder what I can expect to receive after signing up someone under me. Is it a percentage of their sales? How much? And do you receive it for as long as they are selling?

TIA!
Rachel:-D
Rachel, simply, yes, you do make a percentage of your downline sales, but you have to be at a certain level first. I think you should ask your potential new upline for this info because there's a chart she can print and give to you so you know exactly what you need to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by skoopView Post
If you wait another day or so, you will find that because of the new demo finder (activating with the online ordering, I believe), you may be able to locate some other demos to speak with. But, yes, you can get one anywhere else.

Good luck to all who are considering joining. This special really makes it a great time to do it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default nope- not making any money

But I am not trying to either.

I went into this with an exit strategy. If I bought all these stamp sets and supplies, how would I get rid of them if I wanted to quit? You don't get all your money back, but you can do ok selling off this stuff on auctions or local hobby garage sales.

My purpose was to get high quality product at a discount so my personal hobby wouldn't be quite so expensive. I have enjoyed the demo discounts for pre-orders and bonus stamp sets every now and then. It's been worth it so far. 2 or 3 friends frequently buy from me so I get to use the hostess $$$ on the workshop orders so that has been a nice perk too.

I haven't regretted my decision to join.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

Default To Rethink....

I was planning to sign up as I am moving from San Diego to Kennewick WA and I know there is not a lot of stamp stores there. I was signing up so I would have an outlet on stamps and hope to be able to sell to others. My boyfriend thinks I should sign up as it will give me something to do. I think not that I have read this I have a lot to think about.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #78  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

So demos don't want to sign up people under them that only want to be hobby demos?

Bummer! I only want to be a hobby demo. :(
I've been a SU demo for about 7 mos now. Yes, I'm new to SU but not to direct sales organizations. I sold Tupperware very successfully for many years before I decided that I didn't want to do it anymore. I also sold Creative Memories. I've found that as a demonstrator- one has to be willing to recruit ANYONE willing to join. Everyone signs up for different reasons but at the same time- one never knows exactly what that new recruit will end up being. I speak from experience on that one. I originally signed up to sell TW for the discount and ended up being a free van driving manager with a unit of over 50 people. I worked hard but it came easy to me as I truly loved the product and showed. I've also found that in almost all of my recruiting efforts- for every 10 people I recruited I'd end up with 1 person who was even remotely successfully. It's not a big deal. It's just how things work. I see no reason at all why any demo wouldn't want to recruit a hobby demo. You never know what they may become.

So I guess instead of rambling- I should just say that you shouldn't not sign up because you only want to be a hobby demo. YOU are just as important to the business as someone who sells $60K/year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

You shouldn't feel this way at all! I'll be the first to admit that I love recruiting and meeting new people BUT I would NEVER pester anyone about being more than just a hobby demo. Everyone has their reasons for signing up. If yours is just because you enjoy getting the discount- then so be it. There is NOTHING wrong with that. I would hope that the demo you would be signing up under would feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #80  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really hard now a days. Costs have gone up on so much, you can eat your profit in fuel across town!

No, keep your good paying job!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes