Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2024, 10:49 AM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Die Cutting Recommendations - Do I Give Up?

It seems like my die cut machine is starting to give me problems. It's an old Sizzix (edited from Spellbinders, thank you fionna51) Big Shot and the plates get REALLY warped very quickly. I've tried changing out one cutting plate and using the magnetic plate, using two plates. I rotate them, flip them, replace them when they get bad. It's gotten to the point where I have two issues - one, the gap in the plate means my dies move a bit as I start to roll (very annoying for close cut images) and it's starting to bend some of my dies (very annoying. period).

I'm starting to wonder if my machine is just wearing out somehow, or not evenly applying pressure and whether it's time for a new machine. Has anyone experienced this and have a fix?

If I do replace, what full size machines is everyone loving right now? I don't need anything electric or assisted, just a basic "cuts it out, doesn't warp my plates or shift my dies" machine.

Last edited by JadeOnline; 04-27-2024 at 03:33 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by JadeOnline:
DancesWithHooves (04-29-2024), Kristy Tyra (05-01-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 10:56 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 525 Likes on 237 Posts

I don't know if anyone else uses the Scrapbook.com Magic Mat. I really dislike having to work at keeping my plates from warping or having to flatten them, which I have never been successful at. So the Magic Mat went on my list to try it out. One, it is made of self-healing material, like a cutting mat. Two, it is the same thickness as a cutting plate, so it replaces the cutting plate that the die cuts into.

My results have been outstanding. Mat is still totally flat. My clear cutting plate that is used on top is pristine. I would just suggest that you give it a try. I'm pretty sure you will like it.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by fionna51:
Auntie_mky (05-03-2024), dickiebutts (05-01-2024), lesliespringer (04-28-2024), MangieB (05-05-2024), NinaBeth (05-05-2024), Speechy53 (05-27-2024), TexasGrammy (05-22-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 11:00 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeOnlineView Post
It's an old Spellbinders Big Shot and the plates get REALLY warped very quickly.
Spellbinders and Big Shot are two different machines and two different companies...
Do you have a Spellbinders Platinum 6 or a Big Shot made by Sizzix?
I find that both suffer from warped plates.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2024, 01:19 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Like Diane mentioned, the Magic Mat is wonderful. I use it with my Big Shot Plus machine. It does help my plates to stay flat and nicer.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2024, 03:32 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I don't know if anyone else uses the Scrapbook.com Magic Mat. I really dislike having to work at keeping my plates from warping or having to flatten them, which I have never been successful at. So the Magic Mat went on my list to try it out. One, it is made of self-healing material, like a cutting mat. Two, it is the same thickness as a cutting plate, so it replaces the cutting plate that the die cuts into.

My results have been outstanding. Mat is still totally flat. My clear cutting plate that is used on top is pristine. I would just suggest that you give it a try. I'm pretty sure you will like it.
Yes!! You are right, it's Sizzix. And, I have the scrapbook.com mat as well. I switched to it hoping it would solve the problem and it is warping as well. Not bending as much, but bubbling and warping. And this was after, I don't know, maybe a couple weeks of use. It's one of the reasons I think the machine may be the issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2024, 01:45 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

Magic Mats are pretty cool. They seem to help dies do their thing in one pass and reduce warping. Periodically, you need to give them a rinse and a scrub to remove paper bits but they last a long time. To get one to work in my really old Big Shot, I have one piece of thick cardstock under the Magic Mat.
Mary Beth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2024, 05:21 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeOnlineView Post
Yes!! You are right, it's Sizzix. And, I have the scrapbook.com mat as well. I switched to it hoping it would solve the problem and it is warping as well. Not bending as much, but bubbling and warping. And this was after, I don't know, maybe a couple weeks of use. It's one of the reasons I think the machine may be the issue.
I think that I would have to ask what the sandwich you are using is. Your dies should not be cutting that deep into the mat. The symptoms indicate that they are cutting the entire depth of the die. They should be cutting only far enough to cut the paper. They should not be cutting deep into the cutting plate or the mat.

What is your sandwich?
How old/new is your machine?
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Jono (04-29-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:22 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

I agree with Fionna on the sandwich.....

I think you are putting too much pressure on. Warping a magic mat? That is odd to me.

Are you cranking very hard? You should not have to. Some mild resistance, but not fighting it.

Yes, older machines can kind of go "off" in balance...Try turning the die to be on an angle instead of straight on or move it to one edge or the other if you have the room. You might have done this yourself being too tight vs long term volume use?

I got a Platinum 6 because I wanted a bigger cutting bed and at that time it was cheaper than a Big shot plus. Also the Plat 6 takes up less space because it folds up. But I think both are quality cutting machines. In a dream universe I might have gone with the Big shot Pro because it has the biggest cutting bed but takes up crazy space/heavy for constant moving....but in dream world I have a huge dedicated room too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2024, 05:44 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You can straighten your plates. Take a large pot (think canning size). Put water in it and let it come to a boil. Then place it on top of your plate. Leave it for a bit to cool. Your plates will be flat again. I saw Jennifer McGuire do this. It works. I think some of the problem may that you just replace the cracked plate. I have just replaced my Sizzix Big Shot. It still works, but it was getting harder to use because I was having to figure shims for whatever I was cutting. So, I took the plunge and bought a Bira, adjustable machine. So far, I like it. I did start using a selfhealing mat in my Big Shot and liked it. It lasted longer than the acrylic clear plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2024, 06:56 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 506 Likes on 282 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
Magic Mats are pretty cool. They seem to help dies do their thing in one pass and reduce warping. Periodically, you need to give them a rinse and a scrub to remove paper bits but they last a long time. To get one to work in my really old Big Shot, I have one piece of thick cardstock under the Magic Mat.
Mary Beth.
Actually, you can just use your heat gun to heat the Magic Mat, which will both flatten any warping AND loosen up all the tiny paper bits, which can them be brushed off.I was amazed at how clean my mats were after using a heat gun on them!

Reply With Quote Likes
from the heart (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 11:06 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the Scrapbook Magic Mats. If they are start to bend, I only need to use my heat gun. They are practical and affordable.
Reply With Quote Likes
123scrap (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 05:10 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
[....] So, I took the plunge and bought a Bira, adjustable machine. So far, I like it. I did start using a selfhealing mat in my Big Shot and liked it.
Miss Kristy, have you tried a self healing/Magic Mat in your Bira? Before I buy extra Bira plates, I was curious if the Magic Mat was about the same thickness as Bira's cutting plate...?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2024, 11:13 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Machine Recommendations?

I wanted to second JadeOnline's question about whether anyone has advice on the best machines (like her, I'm looking for full-sized, manual). My craft space flooded this winter and I just discovered that the restoration guys threw out my Big Shot. It was starting to warp and get harder to turn like others have stated so I'm not super crushed, but... still. I wasn't planning on buying one at this moment. They also threw out my embossing machine and plastic case with frame die sets -- you know, the circles, rectangles, etc. that one uses all the time(?!?) so I'm deciding whether to replace or try to live without. I'd love it if someone here has done the comparison of machines already though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2024, 03:07 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

That is super lousy that your house flooded and your stuff got pitched! Oh my gosh, I'd be so upset, especially the frame die sets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nttnylnView Post
I wanted to second JadeOnline's question about whether anyone has advice on the best machines (like her, I'm looking for full-sized, manual). [....] I'd love it if someone here has done the comparison of machines already though!
At the risk of promoting my own thread, lol, here are a few recent discussions here at SCS:

Recommendation for Die Cut and Embossing Machine
Best Manual Die Cut Machine
Adjustable Manual Machines

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 05-02-2024 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
123scrap (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I recently read, and I'm sorry I can't remember where, that there's a way to use the cutting plates, the clear plastic plates that you put thin dies between, so that they won't warp. This is for the Sizzix Big Kick and Big Shot. You need to designate one plate as the bottom plate and the other one as the top. You don't rotate them at all. Mark the top plate so that you know which way it goes in. Use them this way without any rotation, always keep the top plate going the same exact way, If, by chance, one of the plates beings to warp, usually it's the top plate, than rotate it but keep it on top. This should help extend the life of your cutting plates. I hope this makes sense. If I find where I read it, I'll post it. My cutting base, the piece with the different tabs, has warped and they aren't made anymore, so I ordered a magnetic base. I'm not in the position to buy a new machine right now, so I have to make this one work. I really love my Big Kick and if I had to choose between it and my Cricut, the Cricut would be out of here so fast!

Hope this makes sense and helps someone,
Tracy
A Veteran, whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve, is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The U.S.A" for the amount up to and including his life. Proud mom of an Iraq war Veteran.
"Actions prove who someone is. Words just prove who they want to be." Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
123scrap (05-06-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 03:39 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Another very happy user of the Scrapbook dot com Magic Mat!
Changed & rocked my die cutting world. It honestly seems amazing ... love, love, love! I ordered mine the first few months they were sold .... still no reason to buy replacements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Two alternatives to acrylic cutting plates or Magic Mat

Hi all,

I've been stamping and die cutting since the days of the first green Cuttlebug and Ellison Side Kick was a new release (so a loong time). I don't buy acrylic cutting pads anymore since I discovered this hack: using a clear self healing cutting mat that is 3mm thick (that's the thickness of the Sizzix cutting pads. Blick has a clear self healing mat as does Dahle. I cut them to 6" (usually in half, if it's a 12" x 9" mat) with a pair of heavy duty scissors (thinking a hit knife might work too). I have used the same self healing cutting mat in my die cutting machine for years-- 3+. Yes, It can warp for tight sandwiches, but all I do is set a paper towel on top and iron it. It flattens within minutes and is back to flat.

​​​​​The second hack is Bira's 6" x 9" magnetic mat. It lasts a very long time (also 2+ years) and doesn't seem to warp. It gets little pieces of paper in the cut lines, so needs to be brushed clean every now and again, but otherwise it's great. I only purchased the magnetic mat because I was sick of taping my dies in place.

I just ordered the i Crafter self mending cutting pads-- the magnetic and regular pro cutting pad because they were on clearance, but sadly that store is going out of business. I hope it is the last pair of cutting pads I buy, but we'll see. So far the Bira magnetic when placement matters or the self-healing cutting pad work well for me. I keep one acrylic pad as my "do not cut plate" and haven't replaced it in years- 2-3 and still looks almost new.
​​​
​​​​​Just wanted to share for those looking for alternatives.
Reply With Quote Likes
dogbyte (Yesterday)
Old Today, 05:33 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Great info, thanks! I just bought a Bira adjustable machine and am liking it. I still have my original Big Shot (10 years old or older), and my Mom's, but they are starting to get a little harder to get the shims just right. So, I figured it was time for a newer machine. It was on sale and free shipping, so I went ahead and bought the 9” one.
Reply With Quote Likes