Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default die and stamp storage case ??'s

I was looking at this: Die and Rubber Stamp Storage - YouTube storage to hold dies and stamps together.
Does anyone use 7x9 3 ring binders to store dies and stamps together?

Picts? How does it work for you? I really like how this closes so don't/won't lose stamps or dies but I don't like the new version as it is not clear.
Does anyone else make something similar.

I am seriously going back and forth between 3 ring binders and pockets.

I like having more space now that most of my stamps are unmounted (LOL, found 2 more totes that have not been unmounted yet) but now I want to store the dies with stamps they match.

Sigh.

ETA: link is just so you can see what I was looking at and looking for..or something very similar.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

First I was keeping dies in small photo albums till there were too many. 

Then I did that system you linked to

I am glad you asked. I had those binders. Total thumbs down. Expensive lesson. 
a) they get really heavy with the dies
b) even empty if you drop them on the floor they crack badly
c) the rings are plastic and also break. 
d) the pages are very sturdy but also very expensive. I cut them down for my pockets. 

I do pockets now. So much easier to access them. You dont pull out a whole binder. You just flip and pull the one pocket. 

So I have pockets just for dies.

I have pockets for die/stamp sets...the stamp is in the front, the die in the back with a cut down piece of mag vent cover. 

I get the mag sheets at home depot-the 8 x 15 inch ones. 3 pack. You can cut 2 whole clean 5 x 7s and then with the leftovers easily make a third with scotch tape. So that 3 per sheet, 3 sheets = 9 per package if you want whole sizes. If you are going to cut them down to only what you really need for a stamp/die set, it will go farther. I use the full size for groups of dies like all my balloon dies in one. Easy to cut with regular scissors. 

You may find them cheaper elsewhere. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-Magnetic-Vent-Covers-MC815/100345609

My other stamps are in binders. Even those get heavy. I buy the binders at costco-way cheaper than anywhere else and the pages from scrapbook.com I might have gone another way like no binders and just put the pages in large zip lock bags with their index sheets in a box. Take up less space. 

Maybe someone else likes the system. Just IMHO. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was thinking the 3 rings, being made of plastic, would not last long, but I do like that it is enclosed so nothing can fall and get lost. I was hoping for something more sturdy that closes as well. I imagine most things storing dies will get heavy. I am just not sure what search terms to use to look. I have exhausted my searching efforts and am still hoping someone has "something" that could be used like this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I have used the half size version of this case but only with magnetic sheets for dies and I haven't had any of the rings break after many, many years.  But Crafters Companion didn't make the magnetic sheets for more than 2 years and I went to another method of storing my larger dies.  I still have all the original cases with my dies in them and they are still working.  I store my stamps with matching dies in Avery Elle envelopes and only dies without stamps are stored in these cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2020, 03:50 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was thinking the 3 rings, being made of plastic, would not last long, but I do like that it is enclosed so nothing can fall and get lost. I was hoping for something more sturdy that closes as well. I imagine most things storing dies will get heavy. I am just not sure what search terms to use to look. I have exhausted my searching efforts and am still hoping someone has "something" that could be used like this.

Many people use some version of clear pockets in bins, popularized by Jennifer McGuire, who has blogs and videos about the process. I figured people either flip through the pockets with the bins in place, or move a bin to the work surface, so dies falling out isn’t a issue. 

The rare times I took dies out of the house, I left them in their pockets and put them in a zippered pouch. But maybe you have a particular concern?

In order to keep weight down, my bins aren’t that large (and I use very few magnetic sheets). I’d rather have two smaller bins than one larger, in other words. 

For searching here, sometimes I have better luck with google, searching on splitcoaststampers plus key words - “die storage” in this case. 

In case you're interested and haven’t seen it, here’s a blog entry about pockets and containers - scroll past the stamp section. Other containers can be used, of course - mine are different. 

Beth

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2020, 12:33 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Stamp in Storage has cases with a magnetic sheet in side.  That is what I use to store my stamp sets and matching dies.  They work great and can be stores on a shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth, over time I've learned I'm a flipper more than a turner.  It's easier and more convenient to have stamps, dies and stencils in pockets nested in bins so I can flip through and grab the ones I need for the project.  My binders seem to be a good place for photos and sketches for card inspiration but otherwise I'm a flipper not a turner. 
Reply With Quote Likes