Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it fit my Cuttlebug! I read the blog link but like another poster, I need to have the dies face DOWN so I can see where I cut, e.g. over a stamped image so don't know how this technique would work. I have written to Cuttlebug but of course have received no answer. I would think they would get to work and make one to fit.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Well, you know I started making cards to save all this money, because all I NEEDED to make a card was a scissors, some cardstock and maybe a stamp or two
So true! My husband always asks if my family and friends liked their thousand dollar card!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmbelleinaView Post
For my fellow Cuttlebug gals, has anyone tried the Genius Ultimate Platform?? I keep seeing it in Jo-Ann and wondering how it performs. I haven't seen a ton of rave reviews, but I'd like to hear from someone on the boards here who tried it firsthand! It wouldn't be a wallet-killer with a 40% off coupon.
I have the Genius Ultimate Platform, mainly because I needed an extended-length platform and that was the only one I could buy locally that day. I can tell you that the magnets in it aren't nearly as strong, and you have to cut with the cutting side of the die up - so you still have to use tape or something to keep the die lined up with your stamped image. That being said, my images didn't shift nearly as much as they do with a regular Big Kick platform. I think the self-healing mats that the Genius platform uses have more gription. However, I did notice some blue transfer from the mats to the edges of my images. Didn't matter for what I was doing (because I needed to sponge with a fairly dark color), but it might be an issue.

I'm using it with my Big Kick. The box says it's compatible with Cuttlebug, but I know that there was a previous thread where someone was trying to use it with a version 1 bug, and the platform was just wide enough that it would not fit thru the opening. Now, you can look underneath the platform and see where the magnets are and it's possible that if you know someone with the right power tools, you could trim off just enough of the platform to make it fit, but even at 40% off, my feeling is it's too expensive for an experiment that might not work.

So, having used a 50% off coupon on it, I'm satisfied enough with it as an extended platform to not return it to the store. But as far as the magnetic properties, it really doesn't compare to the Sizzix version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Oops!

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Before SU ever Thought of a magnetic platform I had the idea that a magnet sheet would be great to keep framelits in place. HOWEVER, because I had to see the image and place the die in the right place, that means I had to place it with blade down...down towards my magnet sheet...that means I cut right into the magnet sheet, which I had already glued to the plastic cutting plate...that means it became immediately useless....Don't try this at home!
Now I have the SU magnetic platform and use it all the time.
I did the same thing when I purchased my first magnetic sheet. However, I did not even think to glue it onto the cutting plate. Thank goodness for that! :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my magnetic platform. I got by for years using blue painters tape (or washi tape) to hold things down but the magnetic platform is SO much easier. I always use the same cutting plate on the bottom and I cut with my dies facing up. That way the bottom plate is always flat as a pancake and I only have to worry about one plate at a time getting warped by repeated use. I also have the Genius magnetic platform, which I bought before Sizzix released theirs, and I'd have to say that the magnets on the Sizzix are much stronger. The self-healing mats that come with the Genius are nice, but they warp too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I rarely use the Genius magnetic platform that I bought a couple of years ago. The SU magnetic platform has much stronger hold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I bought a small one for use with my Cuttlebug, and often use that in my Big Shot pro. I found it helps a lot with intricate dies that do not want to cut fully. As others say, you can hold stuff in place with low tack tape, which is how I usually do mine, as the magnetic sheet does not stop the paper/ cardstock from moving about.
When you use the magnetic plate in your Cuttlebug, what is the sandwich? I would love to have one, but have had no luck figuring our which brand will work in the Bug and how to sandwich. Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
not really. it does work as advertised, but like most tools has its pros and cons.
I think it is a fun addition but if I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't get it.
Ditto!

My new cutting plates warped fast, as did my latest thin metal dies AND my new metal shim, so the magnetic platform is perfect but no help. I STILL have to tape the die to the cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my Sizzix magnetic plate so much...I ordered one for my Spellbinders Grand Calibur too! It's so worth it--no die "jiggle"...no tape...Just stick and spin through the machine!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmbelleinaView Post
For my fellow Cuttlebug gals, has anyone tried the Genius Ultimate Platform?? I keep seeing it in Jo-Ann and wondering how it performs. I haven't seen a ton of rave reviews, but I'd like to hear from someone on the boards here who tried it firsthand! It wouldn't be a wallet-killer with a 40% off coupon.
I have one I will send you for just the cost of shipping, if you want it. I received it as a gift, used it ONCE, loathed and despised it. The giver of the gift was with me when we tested it and agreed that it didn't work very well. She suggested that I take it back to the store where she bought it (why she didn't offer, since she had the receipt, I'll never know...), which I attempted. Since I had "used" it, they wouldn't take it. It's been sitting in my attic ever since.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, I have been debating the magnetic platform too. However, in Australia it costs heaps thru SU and still a lot elsewhere. I'll be in the States next month so maybe I should buy it there. Do Michael's and Joann's etc have regular specials on such things or will it just be luck of the draw when I arrive? Maybe I should order online for my arrival.....
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Pamela - it's a rare week that Michaels/Joanns/Hobby Lobby doesn't have a coupon good for 40% off any one item. However, the Joann's coupons exclude diecutting machines, dies and accessories, so theirs won't work for the magnetic platform.

That being said, those three stores also run fairly frequent sales on Sizzix dies and accessories - sometimes 30%, sometimes 40% and occasionally 50%. (50% isn't very often, but it's one of the happiest weeks of the year, sigh ). If the sale is 30% off, you can't use the better coupon at Michaels, but you might be able to at Hobby Lobby.

For any of those stores, you can visit their websites to see a copy of their current ad and print coupons.

I should add, though - my local Michael's and Hobby Lobby seem to only get one of these platforms into stock at a time - I never see more than that on the shelf. So if you have a good place to have it shipped to, it might not be the worst idea to order it for when you're here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #53  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

That being said, those three stores also run fairly frequent sales on Sizzix dies and accessories - sometimes 30%, sometimes 40% and occasionally 50%. (50% isn't very often, but it's one of the happiest weeks of the year, sigh ). If the sale is 30% off, you can't use the better coupon at Michaels, but you might be able to at Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby takes only Hobby Lobby coupons. They have a 40% off coupon every week.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Pamela, you can also order thru Sizzix website and they have frequent sales. Get on their email list. I don't know about shipping overseas. I use my magnetic platform with almost every card. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClownmomView Post
Hobby Lobby takes only Hobby Lobby coupons. They have a 40% off coupon every week.
We just moved to a town that has a Hobby Lobby. I have never seen a coupon in the store or in the local newspaper. Where do you get them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
We just moved to a town that has a Hobby Lobby. I have never seen a coupon in the store or in the local newspaper. Where do you get them?
They always have them on their web site:

In-Store Coupon : Weekly In-Store Specials : Hobby Lobby - Hobby Lobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
WooHoo! Thank you. I have never lived anywhere near a HL, so didn't know. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamela16View Post
Guys, I have been debating the magnetic platform too. However, in Australia it costs heaps thru SU and still a lot elsewhere. I'll be in the States next month so maybe I should buy it there. Do Michael's and Joann's etc have regular specials on such things or will it just be luck of the draw when I arrive? Maybe I should order online for my arrival.....
Thanks!
I am in Australia too and bought mine from Craftonline.com.au - it is $46.95 plus shipping of $8.95 although if you spend $50+ at this store, you get free shipping. This was the cheapest price I could find the platform anywhere in Austalia. Hope this helps

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #59  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Magnetic Platform

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'd forgotten about Hobby Lobby though not sure if there is a store near where I will be. Thanks Jobear, I checked Craftonline before I left, definitely the best price in Oz and if it's too hard in the States I'll get one on return home. And with free postage of course, as there will definitely be something I need to make up the $50 won't there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #60  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Pamela - it's a rare week that Michaels/Joanns/Hobby Lobby doesn't have a coupon good for 40% off any one item. However, the Joann's coupons exclude diecutting machines, dies and accessories, so theirs won't work for the magnetic platform.

For any of those stores, you can visit their websites to see a copy of their current ad and print coupons.

I should add, though - my local Michael's and Hobby Lobby seem to only get one of these platforms into stock at a time - I never see more than that on the shelf. So if you have a good place to have it shipped to, it might not be the worst idea to order it for when you're here.
CBET, I will be aiming to get to all three stores when I'm there just so's I don't miss any offers!! I hope my suitcase will stand up to the extra weight I know there will be as I already have some ebay and Aamazon orders waiting for me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #61  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
WooHoo! Thank you. I have never lived anywhere near a HL, so didn't know. Thanks again.

And, if you sign up for e-mails on their website, they send you a coupon every week.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClownmomView Post
And, if you sign up for e-mails on their website, they send you a coupon every week.
Woo Hoo, again!!! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #63  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

No one thinks they need a magnetic platform, until they use one. It makes cutting SOOO much easier, more fun, and less frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

Could you explain how the magnetic platform makes cutting easier? I thought it just held the dies in place, which I do with a piece of tape or post-it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #65  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Well, I went down to Michaels today and they had one more left. So I grabbed it. $20 Yee-haa!!!

Might have some time to play around with it tomorrow.
I just did the same thing at Michael's. For 20 I wont feel horrible if I hate it.

I am little concerned about what Joan said about it moving around on the platform or slightly warped dies. We'll see! I wasn't doing well with tape-it was sticking to the paper. But I did just order some washi which I see tons of people using from a clearance. So I can try that too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #66  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Debbie, I used to tape the dies in place, too. However, I could often see the imprint of the edge of the tape or corner of Post-it on my die-cut, and that just won't happen with the magnetic platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't mind taping the dies, but I was not a fan of trying to get the tape back off after they ran thru the machine Like Bugga, I cold see the edges of the tape on my cut. And when I need to do a lot of the same card , like for Christmas or invitations, the taping adds more time than I want to bother with. With the magnetic platform, I save a lot of time on those cards. And when I was able to get it with a coupon, I decided it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
not really. it does work as advertised, but like most tools has its pros and cons.

If your cutting plates are warped, the magnet doesn't work as well. Also, it's a magnet and not to the edge, so sometimes the die will NOT stay where I put it. It moves to its magnetic spot. So I end up using my regular big shot stuff with a bit of washi tape for some of my dies.

I think it is a fun addition but if I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't get it.
I had problems with my cutting plate warping, but on another thread someone mentioned they used a small self healing cutting mat instead. I bought a 6x8 one from Amazon and it works great. The only problem is it's thinner than the cutting plate, so I have to shim with a thick piece of chipboard.
Reply With Quote Likes