Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay seller using our photos....

Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm just cranky today I don't know, but would you be upset if an ebay seller was using photos of your cards to help sell her stamp sets?

Last night I came across an ebay seller who has a photo of one of my cards posted along with a stamp set that she is selling. (Honestly, it's not one of my better cards, but that's not the point). And there are other photos of cards made by splitcoast members that the seller is using (I've seen them here in the splitcoast gallery) and some of the photos are even watermarked.

I guess the real kicker is that the seller doesn't even say that the card isn't included in the auction and if I was a buyer I would think I was getting the sample card with my purchase.

I've recently started watermarking my cards and I guess I'm going to go back and watermark them all which is going to take forever! Oh, why oh, why didn't I do that from the beginning!!?? I could kick myself for not listening to some of you who told me to watermark my photos.

Thanks for listening to me vent!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #2  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Email her and ask her to please take your photo off her site.

I think it's ok to be upset that your card photo is being used without your permission. However, I think we all need to make sure we watermark, because with Pinterest things are getting copied and going all over the place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, it would bother me too and I'd also email her. It's misleading to the shopper and no one should use someone else's creation to promote themselves or sales.

At least with Pinterest, it links back to the source.

And I've been lazy about watermarking, too. I did find a great program that I tell everyone about. It's Visual Watermark, you download it online, and you can use it for free but they put something in the lower right corner like Please Register Visual Watermark. If you like it though, it's only $20 to buy and that comes off.

It's easy to create the watermark. You simply drag your files over to one area of the VM watermark window (I move large numbers at one time), click the watermark you want to use in the next area, and click on "watermark." I create a separate file for "watermarked" for my drawings and it will maintain the file structure, or you can simply have it replace the photos with watermarked photos. And it works FAST! Highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you watermark with MDS?

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
How do you watermark with MDS?
I don't do my watermark in MDS, but I would imagine you'd add a text box, change the color to whatever works for you, then change the opacity down to maybe 30-40%.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 532 Likes on 237 Posts

Patty...
I would go ahead and report the situation to ebay. Here's the policy:

eBay members are not allowed to use images�including photos and other pictures�or text they didn't create themselves. Exceptions to this policy would be if they are authorized to do so by the owner, its agent, or the law.

You can use images and text descriptions from the eBay product catalog in your listings without violating this policy. The product catalog may include, at our discretion, select seller-generated images or photos from seller listings. Unless the seller opts out of this program, the inclusion of such seller-generated photos in the eBay product catalog and the use of catalog content by eBay sellers in their eBay listings is authorized under the User Agreement.

If you choose not to use photos or product descriptions from eBay's product catalog, the best way to make sure you follow our policies is to take your own photos and write your own descriptions. This will help you avoid the risks of using someone else's pictures or text, and you won't need to worry about getting permission from any third parties.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

She is obviously violating the policy and you could probably prove that your image(s) is yours by providing a screenshot of the item in your gallery with the date posted included in the shot. But there are plenty of other images in her listings done by many different people that show that she isn't creating her own images.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for sharing this Diane! (Hey, look, I didn't call you Fionna this time!! ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

No, you're not being cranky! I would also contact her through the "ask seller a question" link, asking her to remove your picture from her listing and pointing her to the eBay policy that Diane just outlined. I would report the matter to eBay as well.

As you point out by the fact some of the images she's using are watermarked, even watermarking is not guaranteed to protect your images but it's as good a deterrent as any, I guess!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh, and Patty, yes, I would be ticked! She has no right to collect and use your images whether they are watermarked or not. I noticed that she doesn't pay attention to whether they have any identification as to whose they are...she has plenty of watermarked images on her sales.

And as for Pinterest. Images aren't copied and collected. They are linked. I have some of my creations showing up on Pinterest. Click on them and they link to my original image here. I'm kind of flattered!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Thanks for sharing this Diane! (Hey, look, I didn't call you Fionna this time!! ;) )

Hee hee! ;)
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I too agree that it is wrong. Most of us dont mind if people use our layout etc. I have printed out cards from the gallery for a personal idea book. But Ebay is an entire different ball game. I dont think they should be there without permission.

And to me Facebook would be an even bigger no no.

Just my thoughts

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,097 Likes on 840 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Patty...
I would go ahead and report the situation to ebay. Here's the policy:

eBay members are not allowed to use images�including photos and other pictures�or text they didn't create themselves. Exceptions to this policy would be if they are authorized to do so by the owner, its agent, or the law.

You can use images and text descriptions from the eBay product catalog in your listings without violating this policy. The product catalog may include, at our discretion, select seller-generated images or photos from seller listings. Unless the seller opts out of this program, the inclusion of such seller-generated photos in the eBay product catalog and the use of catalog content by eBay sellers in their eBay listings is authorized under the User Agreement.

If you choose not to use photos or product descriptions from eBay's product catalog, the best way to make sure you follow our policies is to take your own photos and write your own descriptions. This will help you avoid the risks of using someone else's pictures or text, and you won't need to worry about getting permission from any third parties.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

She is obviously violating the policy and you could probably prove that your image(s) is yours by providing a screenshot of the item in your gallery with the date posted included in the shot. But there are plenty of other images in her listings done by many different people that show that she isn't creating her own images.
What happened with SOPA over there? I wasn't following the news about it, but just this week a minister signed a similar act into the law over here, causing a lot of anger because it was just signed off, not even debated in the parliament. And it's really impacted how a couple of major forums are re-stating their policies on what people can post anywhere online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
What happened with SOPA over there? I wasn't following the news about it, but just this week a minister signed a similar act into the law over here, causing a lot of anger because it was just signed off, not even debated in the parliament. And it's really impacted how a couple of major forums are re-stating their policies on what people can post anywhere online.
No go on SOPA here. People really rose up and protested and that ended the bill. I'm sure they are working on a modification but for now, it's done.

For OP, I would be really peeved if someone was using my card to sell their own stamp sent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

You are not being cranky. It is against eBay's policy to use someone elses pictures. Last year while I was selling some stamps, someone else used my photos to sell their stamps (same ones). I wrote and asked her to stop using my photos. She changed the photos quickly and then wrote me to say she was not using my photos and that I was being petty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Some people have such nerve, you are not being cranky at all. She needs to get your photos and everyone else's she is using off too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

My goodness, I think you're being might calm about the situation. Please post back when you get resolution. I'd love to hear how it turns out. Best of luck to you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Please do keep us updated. Your not being cranky at all. I would have been furious. I would report it to Ebay. There are time when copying is very innocent or unintentional. Ebay seller? She/he should know better than to use art work of others.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 222 Likes on 197 Posts

I think you should be upset Patty....it's stealing especially if they have not asked permission. Good luck with it all. I think many of us would love to know what happens next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I've come across a few cards on Pinterest that do NOT link back to the original source. I saw a card on there a couple of days ago that was being repinned quite a lot and there was no link to the original source. The photo had no identifying watermark on it either so it was impossible to find the source.

I saw this blog a while ago that has a Pinterest Project going and they're encouraging folks to 'link with love'.
LINKwithlove
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Here's the pin of the card I saw on Pinterest. If you click on it you get a larger view of the card but it doesn't take you to the original source.
http://pinterest.com/pin/47428602295741439/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #21  

Received 831 Likes on 338 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm just cranky today I don't know, but would you be upset if an ebay seller was using photos of your cards to help sell her stamp sets?

Last night I came across an ebay seller who has a photo of one of my cards posted along with a stamp set that she is selling. (Honestly, it's not one of my better cards, but that's not the point). And there are other photos of cards made by splitcoast members that the seller is using (I've seen them here in the splitcoast gallery) and some of the photos are even watermarked.

I guess the real kicker is that the seller doesn't even say that the card isn't included in the auction and if I was a buyer I would think I was getting the sample card with my purchase.

I've recently started watermarking my cards and I guess I'm going to go back and watermark them all which is going to take forever! Oh, why oh, why didn't I do that from the beginning!!?? I could kick myself for not listening to some of you who told me to watermark my photos.

Thanks for listening to me vent!

I would be upset too!!! I agree that you should email her and ask her to remove your photo and report to Ebay too!

Last edited by sc magnolia; 03-04-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by FubsyRuthView Post
Here's the pin of the card I saw on Pinterest. If you click on it you get a larger view of the card but it doesn't take you to the original source.
stamping / simplysimple50006907.jpg 1252�1600 pixels
But it's usually reasonably easy to find the original source provided the name of the image file has not been changed. A quick google on "simplysimple50006907.jpg" will get you to this blog post. I have no idea why or how it got messed up on Pinterest but if you see anything like this and feel strongly it should link to the original source it's usually a matter of minutes to track the source down and you can then alert the person who is missing the link.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #23  

Quote:

I wonder if the original source website was deleted. You know how some people close down their blog if they stop stamping or even change their blog provider and therefore have a new URL. Now the original website is gone and only the photo remains.

Someone had bookmarked my old blog header in Pinterest. The old image still appears on pinterest, but when I clicked on it, pinterest churned for a long while, before bringing me to my blog with my new blog header. The difference in my case is that my blog website still exists, the header has just changed.

In 2011 I started watermarking all my finished projects and cards. I probably should do all my tutorial steps too, but it's a lot of work, so I don't do these right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
But it's usually reasonably easy to find the original source provided the name of the image file has not been changed. A quick google on "simplysimple50006907.jpg" will get you to this blog post. I have no idea why or how it got messed up on Pinterest but if you see anything like this and feel strongly it should link to the original source it's usually a matter of minutes to track the source down and you can then alert the person who is missing the link.
Well that disproves my theory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
A quick google on "simplysimple50006907.jpg" will get you to this blog post.
Thanks for that Joanne, I didn't think to Google the pic name!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

You are definitely NOT being cranky, Patty! I would be mad, too.
Taking someone's image, photo or art without permission, for personal gain or profit is absolutely wrong.
You should contact this ebay seller. If they do not take down the photos I would contact ebay and let them know.

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These people probably figure no one is going to notice...unless it was my own card, I would not know if a seller was using a photo of someone elses work and really, what are the odds of the person whos card you are using actually seeing it? I bet you are the one in a million. I am not defending the seller, just thinking out loud I guess. I would bet money that they meant no harm; probably did a Google image search, liked the card and used it as an example. I have seen lots of stamp sets for sale that tell people to come to this site and see the set in a gallery...that is how I found this site to begin with I guess I am a different thinker than most in that it would not bother me in the slightest if I saw my card on an Ebay auction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #28  

Thank everyone for your replies. My family and I spent the day out yesterday so I didn't get a chance to come back to check this thread.

My husband told me to contact the seller, but I didn't yet. Maybe I'll send a friendly message and see what the seller says. I'll post back here to let you know how I make out.

Pinterest is another reason I want to go back and finish watermarking the rest of my photos. Up until about 2 weeks ago I never heard of pintrest- I must be living under a rock...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #29  

Okay, I just sent the seller a friendly message so we'll see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

When I was designing for Waltzingmouse Stamps, this happened to the design team. A seller was using our design team photos to resell stamps. I emailed her, told her she did not have permission to use them, and asked her to take them down. I got no response, but she did remove the photos. Hopefully, your seller will do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #31  

Received 831 Likes on 338 Posts

Quote:

Thank everyone for your replies. My family and I spent the day out yesterday so I didn't get a chance to come back to check this thread.

My husband told me to contact the seller, but I didn't yet. Maybe I'll send a friendly message and see what the seller says. I'll post back here to let you know how I make out.

Pinterest is another reason I want to go back and finish watermarking the rest of my photos. Up until about 2 weeks ago I never heard of pintrest- I must be living under a rock...LOL
Well you and I are living under the same rock. I just learned of it and joined. Love it.

I'm so glad you posted this!! I think It's good for people to see how copying can get carried away. There was a thread a while back where someone was not happy about her card design being copied. I think there is copying and then there is copying... to make a card for Grandma copying someone's design is not a big deal to me. But then some people take it too far and enter it into a contest, or post on their blog, or submit to a magazine. In your case it is even worse, because they took your photo of your own work and used it to see their own! People need to be careful and be respectful of others.

You stick up for yourself ... you go girl!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #32  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Well you and I are living under the same rock. I just learned of it and joined. Love it.

I'm so glad you posted this!! I think It's good for people to see how copying can get carried away. There was a thread a while back where someone was not happy about her card design being copied. I think there is copying and then there is copying... to make a card for Grandma copying someone's design is not a big deal to me. But then some people take it too far and enter it into a contest, or post on their blog, or submit to a magazine. In your case it is even worse, because they took your photo of your own work and used it to see their own! People need to be careful and be respectful of others.

You stick up for yourself ... you go girl!!
Thanks! Hopefully I'll be sticking up for the rest of us too becasue I just counted and there are 74 copied pictures on her auctions! I quickly looked through the gallery here and within minutes I was finding our photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be sticking up for the rest of us too becasue I just counted and there are 74 copied pictures on her auctions! I quickly looked through the gallery here and within minutes I was finding our photos.
Wow! That's just crazy -74!?! I had someone ASK me if they could use my card images in her Etsy shop and I told her yes. Makes a BIG difference if they just ask first, heck you probably would have said yes. Now she has to take them down.

I am sorry, copyrighted photo or not, she should have known better. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

74!!!! Wow! I am thinking that was not a Google search but definitely a seller who knows SCS gallery. I think you handled it very sweet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #35  

It's actually against eBay's policy for people to do that so all you have to do is report her with a link to your auction. This is really said and I'm sorry for your frustration.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Here's the reason this kind of thing happens. You know how when you are on someone's blog and they have a picture you want to see larger? So you click on it and you get a page with just the picture file? Well, if you pin THAT page instead of the blog post, then you get what FubsyRuth is pointing out.

I think that some people pin that way and I get really frustrated because I want to find the original post. At least Angelnorth pointed out how to find it. Thanks!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #37  

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
It's actually against eBay's policy for people to do that so all you have to do is report her with a link to your auction. This is really said and I'm sorry for your frustration.
Yeah, your right. I thought I would give the seller a chance to remove the photo first. I still haven't heard back yet and our photos are still posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Aha, Diane, that would explain it! It frustrates me as well if I can't get to the original post! A lot of folks just pin to the blog name and not to the url of the actual post which then means you have to take time to track down what you want. I mean, it's already a case of "so many pins, so little time" for me on Pinterest LOL! At least Joanne's tip will help me in the future.

I think Pinterest should be offering some guidelines and etiquette info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Isn't the "whole point" of Pinterest a way to bookmark visually. What is the point of pinning a blog and not the post. Drives me crazy... Sometimes I will trawl through and find the post itself and repin if I really love something.

BTW I pinned the Linked with Love Pinterest banner. I think a lot of people get caught in the moment. I need to tidy up my boards a bit more now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I make sure I pin the POST of a blog...just not only the IMAGE. The image pins are what drive me nuts!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes