Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Frustration - No details on cards in the gallery

Okay, I'm cranky today. I think it is the rainy weather. LOL!

I've been looking at lots of lovely cards in the gallery but have been frustrated when looking at so many with blank recipes. And not only that, one of the lovely Christmas cards I looked at had a website listed. I went to the website and all that is there are advertisements of cards for sale and custom work that can be done, a few pictures posted, but not a single mention of the the cards on Splitcoast.

Because I'm cranky, I'd like to suggest we start a thread with a "wall of shame" and list people who don't fill out the recipes ... but I know that's the wrong thing to do. Hopefully I'll get over my cranky spell and turn back into the warm and loving person I normally am LOL! Thanks for reading my vent.

Last edited by stamp_momma; 04-27-2011 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Site Posting Rules
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:05 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

We all have a cranky day now and then. It seems like on those days, little frustrations get really big!!!! I hope today is a better day for you. Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Okay, you're cranky and I'm spacey - lol! As soon as I posted the above reply, I realized that you had posted your comments this morning! I think I need another cup of coffee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Personally, I would rather see a project with a blank recipe than no picture at all! I just like to look at the pretty pictures and I'm happy when people share no matter what:-) If you have a question, you can always contact the poster. I know it's a pain but it's not like there isn't anything you can do about it! I know that I don't always do the supplies just based on how much time I have or don't have but I try to when I have the time....I don't always fill it out if I've posted on my blog as well as I don't want to type it twice.

Hope your day gets better!!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Personally, I would rather see a project with a blank recipe than no picture at all! I just like to look at the pretty pictures and I'm happy when people share no matter what:-) If you have a question, you can always contact the poster. I know it's a pain but it's not like there isn't anything you can do about it! I know that I don't always do the supplies just based on how much time I have or don't have but I try to when I have the time....I don't always fill it out if I've posted on my blog as well as I don't want to type it twice.

Hope your day gets better!!!!
Now that I vented, I'm better LOL! Don't get me wrong, a picture is better than none at all but it would be nice if people followed the suggested etiquette of the posting. I've read it here several times so it is out there. I'm quite happy if there's a specific link to a blog with more details. I can live with that but the seasoned artists should give us newbies a crumb. I've only been cardmaking a year and need to know a few more deets! Remember when you first started.

Thank you to everyone who posts pictures to the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

This happened to me yesterday. I saw a layout I LOVED, and they had used something in the background that was amazing. No recipe, no links, no nothing. I left a kind comment saying how I loved the piece but that I wished they had posted a supply list. The person responded saying it took too much time. I offered my suggestion of copying what she posts on her blog. Super easy to highlight and hit "ctrl c". I then told her I fill out a supply list in Microsoft Excel as I work then it's just a matter of copying and pasting to my blog and galleries. Super fast and easy. I said this lovingly of course but it can be very annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
This happened to me yesterday. I saw a layout I LOVED, and they had used something in the background that was amazing. No recipe, no links, no nothing. I left a kind comment saying how I loved the piece but that I wished they had posted a supply list. The person responded saying it took too much time. I offered my suggestion of copying what she posts on her blog. Super easy to highlight and hit "ctrl c". I then told her I fill out a supply list in Microsoft Excel as I work then it's just a matter of copying and pasting to my blog and galleries. Super fast and easy. I said this lovingly of course but it can be very annoying.
I wish there was a "like" button for posts like on Facebook LOL! I don't buy that it "takes too long". I've been posting cards and it is only a few seconds more to fill in a couple of those fields. Even if they did what you said and did a ctrl-c and paste it in the free field area. I can't expand my collection of supplies if I don't know what products others are using. I'm guilty of this a bit. If I use an embossing folder but can't remember the name, I at least post that I used an embossing folder. Anything, even a crumb, is all I ask.

I'm glad it isn't just me that gets annoyed at this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

If it takes too long to type out the supply list, it takes me too long to leave a comment

I use the copy/paste method myself and I don't think it takes that long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know I'm one that has been guilty of not putting any info for some of the stuff I post. I have been trying to be better at doing it since I started working on DTs. BUT, I also do bulk uploads and sometimes I'm posting 10 - 15 cards at one time. It is a pity there's no where to add details when you do a bulk upload. You have to go back in and edit each picture - real PITA - or do one at a time - even bigger PITA. If I have it on my blog, I'll go back in and edit to add the link to the post on my blog. I know its "etiquette" on this site, but its not mandatory. If there is something that I am really interested in, I will pm the person and ask my question that way. When I'm looking at the gallery, I'm usually not interested in the particular supplies they used anyway. I don't let that stop me from commenting if I like a card. I'm usually more interested in getting ideas to use the supplies I already have rather than lifting or copying a design or for new products. Believe me I have way too much I haven't used as it is and I don't need help finding new stuff. It seems to mysteriously end up at my house with my help too.

Last edited by cat_woman; 04-27-2011 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
It is a pity there's no where to add details when you do a bulk upload. You have to go back in and edit each picture - real PITA - or do one at a time - even bigger PITA.
When you are doing a bulk upload, the first screen gives you the option of filling in common information, but after you do the initial save and BEFORE publication, the second screen gives you a box and supply list option for each individual picture so you can include the details for each specific card without using the edit function.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a PM from one of the SCS moderators on this issue. They too wish people would follow the rules when posting pictures as well. I appreciated the kind words while I was cranky. I'd like to send a shout out to all the volunteers at SCS for all their hard work. None of this would be possible without them :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

If it takes too long to type out the supply list, it takes me too long to leave a comment
Ha!!!

My pet peeve --- "Go to my blog for details." Um no. I value my time as much as the person who types that...

I'm grumpy too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I know where you are coming from.

I once saw something really cute with no details, just a link to the blog. I usually will not click but I was interested enough that I did. The post gave no details other than that I could BUY all the info in a kit. Wouldn't this be against the SCS TOS?

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally agree with you because I am terrible CASER. I don't mind going to their blog because if I love one of their cards I probably will find more on their blog I would like to make. I really think it is rude and bad manners to not put the information when posting your card.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraosView Post
I know where you are coming from.

I once saw something really cute with no details, just a link to the blog. I usually will not click but I was interested enough that I did. The post gave no details other than that I could BUY all the info in a kit. Wouldn't this be against the SCS TOS?
Absolutely against TOS. Actually, even if the linked blog hadn't tried to sell you a kit to create the card, it would have been against TOS. It may not be expressly against the rules to upload a card without details, it IS against them to do that AND merely provide a blog link. That's more like trying to take advantage of SCS to build traffic to their own site...and that's just plain rude as well as being a no-no.

As for just putting no details...I'm with Minders. I value what's shared and don't expect more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I get annoyed too...I like to know what items were used too. sometimes you cant tell just by looking at the card...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

I mention the names of the stamps and the patterned papers I used, but I don't go into details about the rest of it. I used to copy and paste the info from my blog, but I don't do the supply lists on my blog anymore now either. (I mention the supplies and link to them in the paragraphs I write about the card, but I don't do supply lists anymore.) I'm sorry if this bothers people. Most of the time, I figure people only care about the stamps and patterned paper anyway. I do add a direct link to my card not a generic link to my blog.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with the "if you can't fill out the supply list, I won't comment" comments. I leave a comment for people when I love their cards. I don't care if they fill out the list or not. I would rather let someone know I love their card and hope they create more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #18  

I also comment even if someone didn't fill out the stuff. And I think we'll have to agree to disagree about a lot of this:-) I may not always fill out the details IF I've put it on my blog...I'm not going to post it two places. If it's something I haven't put on my blog then I will fill in the details, I just see no reason to do it twice. Occasionally I may just miss one if I'm uploading a bunch at once too, mistakes happen! I don't think we should have a "black list" or anything as that's just not nice:-) Again, I just want to see all the pretty pictures!!!! Just my prerogative:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

As a newbie I think it's nice when a cardmaker posts what they used, because sometimes I really like a trim or a button and wanted to buy something like that- and had no idea where to look for it. I get that sometimes it's from a local shop or something so that's totally fine too. That said, it is up to the person who puts it up whether they want to divulge where they got a supply, and sometimes I believe maybe, just maybe, they prefer not to share it so as to keep it unique to themselves. In the end you can't just make someone write it down if they don't wish to, whatever the reason!

So far I have been sharing all my supplies on here, and on my blog, unless I bought it locally in a brick and mortar shop, because I appreciate it when some bloggers share what they used and where they got it from, so I want to share where I got my stuff too with anyone who might have been interested
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #20  

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My routine is to post info on my blog first. I almost always have a recipe list at the end of the post as follows...
STAMPS:
PAPER:
INK:
ACCESSORIES:
When I'm finished, I copy my post and then hop to SCS and paste the info as I'm uploading. That way I'm not re-typing all the details twice.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathiRView Post
Ha!!!

My pet peeve --- "Go to my blog for details." Um no. I value my time as much as the person who types that...

I'm grumpy too.
Kathi - I agree. I put that on ONLY if I have additional details on How I created it or if I have multiple photos for close up / etc.. I list everything as far as supplies that I know - I just may not be as verbose. For instance I try to list all the Copic Colors I use on SCS, in my blog I may say how I apply them, and as you know I can get kinda chatty in my blog, so I try to keep it simple on the SCS posts.

I try - if I don't list it, usually I don't know it. I have a lot of scraps that I have no clue who the paper is or embellies that I have collected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I'm guilty of not putting a ton of information will try to be better going forward! Paper is always the hardest for me because nine times out of ten I don't know who's it is because I may not be using a full piece that has the company name on it. Sorry, sorry, sorry will try to be better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatomomView Post
I'm guilty of not putting a ton of information will try to be better going forward! Paper is always the hardest for me because nine times out of ten I don't know who's it is because I may not be using a full piece that has the company name on it. Sorry, sorry, sorry will try to be better!!!!
I don't know where most of my paper comes from once it gets out of a package. Try to post what you can as all I ask of people and I try to do the same. If you don't know what something was you used, that's a lot different than not posting because you're too busy to follow the rules/guidelines. It is like manners ... none of us have to use manners, there's no rule saying we have to, but it makes the world a better place when we do so :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I must be in the minority - I don't need the exact "recipe". The picture is just an idea for inspiration, I don't plan to make an exact duplicate because that doesn't help me use up my own personal stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
I must be in the minority - I don't need the exact "recipe". The picture is just an idea for inspiration, I don't plan to make an exact duplicate because that doesn't help me use up my own personal stash.
I'm much the same...maybe it's something in the name:-)

Mindy

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #26  

I'll leave a comment no matter what if I love the card, like someone else said! And personally, I LOVE to blog surf....there are the most amazing crafters out there!!!!! So, I'm off to comment on some cards since I haven't done much of that lately and blog surf...even though I should be stamping with stuff that's going to retire soon so I can "get my money's worth out of it", LOL! My mojo seems to have washed away in all this rain we've been having...if you find it down stream will you please send it back???:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Do most people put Copic colors on their blogs? Just wondering since I don't.

What I don't understand is how someone can "favorite" a card, then not post a comment, even if it's a "love it" generic type comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #28  
Ted
Kookie Creator

I find this entire thread educational.

I love looking at the photos and yes, if my curiosity gets the better of me, I'll shoot an email or comment with "I'd love to know how you did ______ if you're willing to share. Please contact me!"

I don't get that annoyed with absence of recipes, however. In a world of crazy gas prices and highways congested with traffic, I reckon not seeing a recipe isn't high on my "Annoys Me" list.

Of course, now that I type this... I WISH that was my highest annoyance... I could then save on gas! ;)

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullenwrView Post
My routine is to post info on my blog first. I almost always have a recipe list at the end of the post as follows...
STAMPS:
PAPER:
INK:
ACCESSORIES:
When I'm finished, I copy my post and then hop to SCS and paste the info as I'm uploading. That way I'm not re-typing all the details twice.
This is what I do also. And I always list a link to my blogpost even though I may not have additional info listed because in my blog:

a.) You can click on the picture to enlarge it. Which I find helpful at times when Im looking at another's person blog, i.e. Copic coloring - I like to see how they shaded and highlighted an image.

b.) I feel you may want to check out the rest of my blog. I know I like to surf thru other peoples blog.

But if you choose not to comment or not go to my blog that's perfectly fine too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just thought I'd share this in case someone else may find it helpful, and I just figured it out myself!
You can open your blog in another window while uploading here and just copy and paste from your blog into the information fields for your SCS upload.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

The whole idea is to improvise. Like I always tell my mum, you don't have to use the exact materials. I for 1 do bulk uploading so the items uploaded could have been made verrrrryyyyy long ago. There are just too many stamps and dp and embellishments to go through if I were to list everything down. Having said that I try to list down whatever I can remember.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Question hi

Hi,
I think it is nice when people list the basic information. You do not have to go into detail. Just list the basic.

I wear glasses. This means that I miss things!!! I see embossing powder on the list but did not see it on the card until I really looked for it.

You do not have to list the color's name, (eggshell blue) blue is fine with me. If I want to case you, I am going to use what I have in blue or change it to red if I like that better or use what I have.

I saw a card with Irock(?) on it. If she had not listed it on the card, I would not have a clue on what it was. Since she listed the irock and thingy, I was able to order the irock thingy on line and get the stones from M. I looked for a thread on Irock and compared it to the $10. cheap thingy and decided on the Irock thingy since it sounded better. I still have not used it, but that is me.

I am not good enough to upload my cards and I don't know how, so my 2 cents is not worth 2 cents.

betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I don't look into the gallery very often, but when I have, I only look at the little pictures. I stopped clicking on them to go to a full page since typically the write-up is telling you to go to their website (or a link to it). To me they are posting cards to draw people to their website.....it's like advertising. Not my thing. The idea of needing to indicate every item by name you put on your card makes no sense to me. It's not like people should be copying it exactly.

Just my opinion.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I guess it is my turn to be cranky. I am so tired of hearing this complaint on here. While giving details is suggested, it is not required. Period. If someone doesn't want to add in the details for whatever reason so be it. If I am that desperate enough to know information about the card when there are no details I will PM the person or ask in the comments.

I appreciate that people take the time to upload their cards, details or not. I don't use them to copy exactly what was done, I just use them as inspiration at times. And Ted I agree with you, it isn't something that is on my list of annoying things, although listening to people complain about it just might be.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I get the impression from the things I've read is that it is suggested and not required because the volunteer moderators simply don't have the time and ability to properly police it.

I'm over my cranky spell and appreciate posted pictures even the incomplete ones with no details. A picture is better than nothing but doing properly (to the best of a person's ability) is the most courteous way to go.

I did send a PM to the person who had a card I liked. I was curious as to the name of a particular punch she used, if it even was a punch, it could be something off a Cricut cartridge or an svg file for all I know. No response back. So, details on the card would have saved me time if it had been there in the first place. And, if the person is courteous enough to get back to me at some point, it takes them extra time to respond when they could have listed it in the first place.

And to Ted, I get your point about the gas and there being other more important issues to be more irritated with. I've got a bigger one happening today with an unexpected expense I can't afford so I know just what you mean :-)

I know this thread won't ever be resolved and people will have to agree to disagree. I'm glad people could see though that I wasn't actually serious about creating a real wall of shame for the nonconformists.

Happy card making everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #36  

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
Wow! I serve on design teams for 3 different companies, and also 3 challenge teams and not only do I take the time to list what I used in the proper boxes, but I provide links in my description! If I'VE got the time to do that, the person you're referring to must be God or something, 'cause lately I think He's the only person busier than me! LOL I'm barely stayin' afloat in the river of life!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

I think many people are missing the forest for the trees. No one is asking you to write a novel, just provide basic info.

And according to SCS POSTING RULES......Gallery creations should ideally contain basic instructions and supply lists and we encourage our members to share these details. Gallery creations without details will be ineligible for promotions we run at SCS, and will not be showcased on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Our community loves getting a crafty education about products and techniques, and so we encourage members to share their expertise for the benefit of our community.

Words in blue are directly from SCS.

Are my galleries perfect? Nope ~ half the time I couldn't begin to tell you the color name of the card stock but at least I give it the best try I can and that's all I ask of others.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer RView Post

I use the copy/paste method myself and I don't think it takes that long.
These are my thoughts EXACTLY! This subject has been brought up many, many times and my response is always the same. I may be absolutely head-over-heels in love with a card or layout, but I refuse to leave a comment for it if there is no supply list given.

If you feel strongly about people having supply lists, then you should also boycott commenting on those projects that are missing this info.

It really does take only a few seconds to copy/paste from your blog, that's what I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Well said and perfectly put by posters #36 and #37 !

:-) :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I was browsing the CCC11 challenge cards today and just had to share this one which is a perfect example of a very extensive recipe and it was put in the free text area, not the individual fields. While this is extreme (in a good way) information, it is greatly appreciated.

Winter Tree by Rox71 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes