Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I started stamping about 5 years ago because I love, love, love handling and looking at those happy, fun colors! I quit stamping about 6 months after that because I just had too much trouble designing cards from the assortments of individual pages of card stock and the various inks available at the LSS or Hobby Lobby. It was just too stressful for my non-artistic, untrained little mind.
Then, last February, enter Stampin Up! with coordinated card stocks and inks, as well as every sort of stamp imaginable! I'M BACK IN THE GAME! I really love the coordinated colors of paper and ink. This makes it possible for me to make pretty cards! I have spent way too much money on stamps, paper, ink, and various types of necessary equipment. (In the period when I wasn't stamping they invented paper trimmers, tape runners, stamp cleaners, aqua painters, darling punches, and many other types of equipment that make stamping pleasant and easy.)
I guess the point I'm trying to make is, I'm new at stamping. I don't know what's trendy, but I do know what's beautiful!
1. I have, and am learning to use, lots of colors of Prismas.
2. I do not have a die cut machine. Am very confused about all the types available. I do love scalloped shapes but have not investigated the methods to get them.
3. No interest in copics, bind it all, crodadile.
4. I'm assembling a collection of ink, paper, and necessary tools. That's the priority for me now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Here's My List:

- Copics - None for me! Never! I swear! (I have watercolor crayons and pencils I prefer, anyway.)
- Cuttlebug - Just bought one because I got it cheaply. I want to emboss backgrounds!
- Nestabilities - No plans yet to buy, but maybe.
- Stickles - LOVE THEM! They are cheap and shiny and I can see myself collecting a lot of the colors - and they're tons less messy than glitter and glue.
- Distress Ink - I have one pad - haven't yet used it.
- Glimmer Mist - I have none but got talked into buying a bottle of Luminarte Pewter Shimmering Mist - haven't yet used it.
- Brads, Rhinestones, Embellishments - I have TONS of these, I use them all the time, and I will no doubt BUY MANY MORE!!
- Basic Grey DP - LOVE IT! I have a ton of it and plan to concentrate on using and buying more of it.
- Stampin' Up Stamps - I have some sets, but not a ton; I will probably buy a few this year, but I prefer...
- Acrylic (clear) Stamp Sets - I have a bunch of these and LOVE THEM! I will buy more.
- Various New-ish Stamp Lines Featured By Design Team Members on SCS (I'm not naming specific ones because there are so many) - SCS is a good place to view new trends in stamps; some of these stamps just are not my style or too expensive, however, some of them I like and will probably purchase. It's totally a mixed bag.
- Crop-A-Dile - I think I want one. I will use a 40% off coupon if I get one, though.
- Ribbon - I am a mad ribbon buyer! In all colors and patterns! Whee!
- Marvy punches - I have a few of the Giga-Mega-GottaHava scalloped punches. Will I buy more? Maybe.
- Twinkling H2O's - None yet; who knows, maybe I will try them.
- Bind-It-All - Nope; I can use the tool at my kids' school to make a "comb"-bound booklet, if I want.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Wow it's like you read my mind!!

I was just saying to my mom and DH during Christmas time that if followed all the trends that are going around I would be broke or always behind trends because it moves so fast.

I did jumped on a few "trends"; H2O's, Cropodile, punches, Cuttlebug and Cricut. I can't say I regret it but I don't use them as much as I should for the money I paid for them.

I love my Prismacolors because I love coloring and I use them a lot. The Copics are too expensive for my budget but wow some of the things I see on blogs are incredible.

Nestibilities are really tempting me but again money and I always ask myself if I really need them.

I think that trends are good to inspire creativity but I also like people that are original. People that creates a little outside of the box. And they are usually the people that are the originator of trends before they get really popular.

I decided that it's not because everybody uses something that it's for me. If I think I can help me be more creative or can save me some time and I can afford it then I will buy it. And also it not because you buy something because you saw amazing things with it that you will be as good ;) I know that from experience :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

Sometimes I think I would like to learn to use the copics and I have read about the gamasol but I have jumped into either yet. I also haven't purchased the cuttlebug or cricut. I can't justify the purchase when I am usually overcome by events that keep me from moving past just a hobby demo. My grandson lives with me, I work full time and he has many activities. LOL. With that being said I am watching my SU purchases of stamps and paying attention to "would I just like to have this or would I really use it enough to warrant the purchase". I didn't buy many stamps from the last catalog, mostly supplies such as paper and inks. I have picked out 3 must have stamps from the new catalog with one being the soldier and the eagle but will chose my purchases carefully and exercise restraint from impulse buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #45  
Mad Swapper

I did just get a Cropadile w/ coupon and Christmas money and I love it. No noise and it punches 12 sheets of paper at once. I also made a ribbon box and it was so easy. My DH's Cuttlebug gift will probably do more embossing that cutting. I do have all of the H2O's but again coupons, gift money, and over several years. I do Prismacolor and gamasol, probably not going to Copics. Don't know about Nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #46  
Watercolor Wizard

I don't have copics (but now I am getting the skin colored one). I don't have a bind it all - I just know I wouldn't use it.
I do have a cuttlebug that I adore and use all the time! I couldn't live without my cropadile for punching holes in chipboard but when I have to set an eyelet I use by clickit.
I do have most of the punches (love love love them)and the square nestabilities, I will get the rectangle nestabilities but thats it.
I have to say that my stamping dollars are now going to stamping bella and papertrey ink. I am not joining my su demos club this year,but I will still buy su cardstock (love it!).
I have waterpencils (stampin up) and prisma pencils/gamsol (wish I was better).
so I guess while I was building my supply I bought a lot of stuff but now I have a lot of stuff so I'm more picky.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

I don't go for all the trends like Copics or Cricut. However when I do get into them, I always seem to be on the tail end of it. Although I think I did buy the bind-it-all before it got really popular. I think that is the only thing I've ever been fast on. Like the Cuttlebug I got months and months after the big run on them so I didn't have too much trouble finding one and I got it when it was on sale for super cheap. I don't think I've seen them that cheap ever since!

Oh and I've had watercolor pencils for YEARS and YEARS, long before they became really popular too... ok so there is two!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesh4rkView Post
I don't go for all the trends like Copics or Cricut. However when I do get into them, I always seem to be on the tail end of it.
That's me too! I am the one who finally jumps on the bandwagon after others have mostly jumped off to something else!
But that's OK because when I get a 'trendy' thing it's because I know I will like it and then I will use it. The one exception to this is the Cuttlebug - which I do like but it mostly collects dust. I will continue to resist the Copics like many of you because of the price and because I am just not convinced I can't use what I have just as well.
As for trends in stamps - mine are all SU! - I buy what I like and really try to keep using sets after the newness has worn off. It never ceases to amaze me with this craft how you'll think you've run out of ideas for a stamp and then you suddenly see that same stamp in a new light and make something fresh and new with it!
I really enjoyed this thread and reflecting on all that's been said - sorry this post got so long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #49  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm with Cindy and Julia. Wait until a trend has been around a while, then jump onto it. That's how I feel about swirls!

There is a lot of reluctance relating to Copics, which I am happy to see. I don't feel so alone now.... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #50  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny to think of Copic markers and Prismacolor pencils as a trend items since both have been around for probably 10 years. I had my Prismacolor pencils long before I started stamping.

I only buy what I think I'll get enough use out of to justify the purchase. For example I bought Marvy punches (use them all the time a year later) and I haven't been in any big hurry for the Nestability dies because I don't think I'd use them enough to purchase.

I never buy anything just because someone else has it - unless JulieHRR twists my arm super hard and makes me buy it ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #51  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
It's funny to think of Copic markers and Prismacolor pencils as a trend items since both have been around for probably 10 years. I had my Prismacolor pencils long before I started stamping.
Yeah, I use the term "trend" loosely to mean whatever is "popular" at the moment, not so much just new stuff like the Nestabilities. Whatever is most heavily promoted--both formally through advertising and informally through blogs and SCS enabling--that's a "trend."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #52  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm going to copy AlternateReality's list since she laid it out so nicely for us.

- Copics/Prismacolours etc - Not interested (except possibly the skin tone one recommended by others). I have the SU! markers & am quite content with those. I did just buy aquapainters and am going to try the No Copics No Problem tutorial. I have good quality coloured pencils, but have no desire to try the gamsol technique. I bought inexpensive watercolour pencils & have really enjoyed the technique, so will probably invest in the WWC during SAB.
- Cuttlebug - Bought one several months ago with a 50% off coupon. I had a chance to try & use someone else' first though before I decided. I love the embossing folders, but have bought only the 8 or so I can see myself using repeatedly. Only have one die (the "tag" one that you can use as ribbon sliders as well) and only have one or two other dies on my list - flower ones, because I think the price of a die or punch + CS is far more economical than Primas
- Nestabilities - A maybe for me. My mother just ordered some; when she gets hers, I'll try them on her bug & see how I like them before I decide. I have not bought any of the Marvy scalloped punches & think these are far more economical & space saving. They are on my maybe list.
- Stickles - I bought one colour to try & have fallen in love. SO MUCH easier that glue & glitter and WAY less mess. Will definitely be adding more to my collection.
- Distress Ink - Nope. Not interested.
- Glimmer Mist - Have yet to investigate this one.
- Brads, Rhinestones, Embellishments - Love brads & use lots, I'm sure the new rhinestone ones will be purchased in the near future. I use far more eyelets since I bought my Crop-a-dile. Have bought a few inexpensive sets of rhinestones but find them difficult to use although I love the look.
- Basic Grey DP - Nope. Not interested
- Stampin' Up Stamps - Buy a lot. I'm not so good at coordination & the sets help me with that.
- Acrylic (clear) Stamp Sets - I am considering ordering from one particular company, but don't see myself getting into them much.
- Various New-ish Stamp Lines Featured By Design Team Members on SCS (I'm not naming specific ones because there are so many) - I like seeing what everyone is using, but don't feel I need them all. Really only one of these companies whose stamps I am considering because I think they are something I will use.
- Crop-A-Dile - Bought one with a 40% off coupon before they became all the rage. I love it & wonder what I did without it.
- Ribbon - I keep the basic, plain colours that I use all the time & am gradually adding ones I think I will use - mostly when they are on sale (unless its SU!)
- Marvy punches - Nope. Too much money & too much space, although I love the look.
- Twinkling H2O's - Haven't even looked at these yet.
- Bind-It-All - Doubt it. Like the idea of it, but just can't see myself using it enought to justify the money it costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not sure I consider die cuts a trend. Perhaps it's because I am a scrapbooker and scrapbookers use diecuts a lot.

I buy my alphabets on ebay and have never paid more than about $50 (I usually buy Quickutz and their alphas are generally $130-$200, so I feel that's great). I have nesting ovals, squares, and circle die cuts. These are very basic and useful for scrapbooking and cardmaking.

One thing I haven't decided about though are the digital cutters. I know that I want one and will probably get one eventually, however, I decided to go for the old fashioned manual machine and dies because I liked not being dependent on electricity or computers. Digi cutters are probably here to stay - would not be surprised to see Cricut show up in a TAC, SU, or CTMH catalog here soon.

Here's the list folks are copying and my response:
- Copics - No, would rather water color from my ink pads.
- Cuttlebug - No, I have a QK Revolution and do not need another machine.
- Nestabilities - Plan to buy the rectangles.
- Stickles - Have one bottle, but will probably not buy more.
- Distress Ink - No. Have a couple chalk ink pads and that works.
- Glimmer Mist - No.
- Brads, Rhinestones, Embellishments - Love these babies!
- Basic Grey DP - Not really into it, it looks dirty to me.
- Stampin' Up Stamps - Do not see why these are a trend. I have about 20 sets and like them all.
- Acrylic (clear) Stamp Sets - Prefer these to rubber. Have close to 100 sets from CTMH and other lines (especially doodlebug and papertrey).
- Various New-ish Stamp Lines Featured By Design Team Members on SCS (I'm not naming specific ones because there are so many) - Papertrey is amazing.
- Crop-A-Dile - This is not a trend. This is an absolute life must have, whether you craft and sew or not. It punches through anything. With a 40% off, you can't beat this for as much as you will use it.
- Ribbon - Again, why is this a trend? Ribbon has been around for, oh, centuries and I love it!
- Marvy punches - I have 4 of the gigas, they are great for photo cropping.
- Twinkling H2O's - No.
- Bind-It-All - No.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #54  
Mad Swapper

Great thread, I did not read the whole thing yet, but.....

I did get the cuttlebug and love the nestablities, they take up much less room than the marvy punches.

Copics, absolutely not, way to expensive and just don't see the need when there are plenty of other quality ones for less

Love the stickles, but find I use glitter gel pens more because they don't wet the paper

Glimmer mist sounded goo, but after trying one, I don't like how wet the paper gets

Distress inks, I have some and the new applicator. I distress most everything anyway, so this was right up my alley

Bellas I absolutely do not like for myself. I like what others do with them, but I know I would never use them

Have loved brads since I first used one in elementary school :p

Bacis Grey is not my style

Love my crop-a-dial

Want a Bind-it-all, but have not convinced myself that I will use it enough to spend my stamp money on
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketOHeartsView Post
I buy my alphabets on ebay and have never paid more than about $50 (I usually buy Quickutz and their alphas are generally $130-$200, so I feel that's great)
Me too! I love the bay for finding older alpha sets! Also, Michaels recently cleared out older sizzix alphas so I scored a few sets there as well for super cheap!

Sometimes it's good to wait a bit before jumping in to buy the latest and greatest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

I just caved and bought the cuttlebug. Boy I do love it. BUT I did wait a very long time to invest the money in this one item. I wanted to make sure I would use it. I stamp more now than I did last year this time.

Copics- well I really can't justify the cost. I have SU watercolor crayons and SU markers and that is enough for me.

Distress inks- I have one pad and yet to use it!

Marvy punches- I hunted these babies down and I don't use them as much as I thought I would.

Basic Grey- I have to make sure I LOOK at the paper in the 6x6 packs BEFORE I buy them!! Not every BG paper pack is my style!! Now what do I do!!

Stickles-What is there not to Love about these !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #57  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Following Anemone's lead:

Copics - nope. I don't do enough coloring in to make it worth my while. I already have watercolor pencils, a few H2Os, pastels and acrylic paints.

- Cuttlebug - Yes. I love it.

- Nestabilities - Nope, just don't have a need to spend $300 on all of them.

- Stickles - No. I have a jar of Stickles glitter I use occasionally. Don't think they make it anymore.

- Distress Ink - One of my favorite inks.

- Glimmer Mist - I must be part crow. These call to me but I'm having a difficult time making myself spend nearly $7 on one color let alone buying all the colors I'd like to have.

- Brads, Rhinestones, Embellishments--have a ton, rarely use 'em.

- Basic Grey DP - No.

- Stampin' Up Stamps - I'm very selective with my stamp purchases and most of the ones I want are not from SU!

- Acrylic (clear) Stamp Sets - A few appeal to me but not many. There are two sets from Papertrey I'd like in addition to the three I have, another one from Kitchen Sink and that's about it.

- Various New-ish Stamp Lines Featured By Design Team Members on SCS --nope.

- Crop-A-Dile - Have had it for several months and finally used it on Christmas eve to make package tags.

- Ribbon - I've been collecting ribbon for decades. Shouldn't have to buy more unless I plan on building a Maypole.

- Marvy punches - Just a couple. Would like to have a few more but then I ask myself--will I use them?

- Twinkling H2O's - I have two sets. Enough.

- Bind-It-All - Nope. I prefer to sew my books.

Funny thing, dh and I were just talking about all the "stuff" and how companies do tend to entice consumers into buying more and more, especially expensive items. I'm interested in the Cricut because of the endless possibilities but again, would my use of it justify the cost plus the ongoing cost of additional cartridges? I doubt it since I'm far more into original artwork than cards or decorative gift items.

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #58  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainsongView Post
- Ribbon - I've been collecting ribbon for decades. Shouldn't have to buy more unless I plan on building a Maypole. ...

Rainsong

LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

As a hobby stamper/scrapper I follow trends selectively based upon what I like. I buy tools that will help me do the things I like to do better or easier. I did buy a bind-it-all, cricut, cuttlebug. I do not have expensive markers since my SU, Marvy's & Zigs seem to be doing fine for me. I have watercolor crayons and Twinkling H2O's that I love. I do try to buy things that I feel are versitile. I try to resist stamp sets that I feel I will only use once. However, since I am not a demonstrator, I don't worry about keeping up with what is currently in. If the stuff in my scrapbook room is not the latest and greatest I will still use it because I buy what I like. We recently moved & Santa brought me a Clip-it-up for my new scrapbook room. I've had a lot of fun re-discovering things in my stash as I've unpacked and loaded my clip-it-up. The stuff may not be the most current but it still hits my hot buttons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

What's the difference between Cricut, Cropadile and Cuttlebug?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
A Cricut is an electronic die cutter. You buy cartridges that allow you to choose shapes, then you can program the machine to cut them in a really wide variety of sizes. It cuts paper and cardstock.

A Cuttlebug is a manual die cutting/embossing machines. You buy embossing folders and dies to run through it. It cuts a wide variety of materials, including chipboard, felt, fabric, fun foam, . . . . .

A Cropadile is a hand-held super-hole punch. It also sets eyelets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
A Cricut is an electronic diecutting machine - it looks like a little computer. Most of the time it's about $150-$200 US.

A Cropadile is a handheld hole punch/eyelet setter. It looks like a giant set of pliers. It's silent- no more banging away and waking everyone up during midnight crafting sessions. It's about $20-$30 US.

A Cuttlebug is an hand-crank diecut/embossing machine. You make a "sandwich" with the dies, paper and mats and crank it through the press. It's about $75-$100 US.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Amy and Sara.

Last edited by Breezy929; 12-28-2007 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: edited to add Sara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Interesting thread. I too am usually late to the game (in technology and crafting) but am usually pretty happy with my purchases in the long run.

Here are my thoughts:
Copics - I love what I see done with them but I know I'm not that good of an artist. Want to work on my coloring techniques and then maybe I might be more interested. Good to hear about the skin color one though. Will think about that. For now, my friend and I are going to split a set of WWC's.

Cuttlebug - Don't have any die cut machine and this isn't one I would choose. I used it at my LSS and just wasn't impressed. Will probably go with the Wizard if I opt to do a die cut machine. I would love to be able to do chipboard letters.

Cricut - I do love using this but it takes so much space and the cartridges are so expensive. Think I will continue to use the one at the LSS for the few occasions I really think I need something.

Nestabilities - I want 'em but am definitely choking on the price tag. This (with the Wizard) is on my short list to spend my Christmas money on.

Stickles - Not usually much of a shiny person in my artwork but if I found some at M's, HL, JoAnn's w/a coupon, I'd give it a try. I just don't order from the online vendors that much. Need to check at the LSS sometime...always forget.

Distress Ink - Have never understood how to use/what this is! LOL

Glimmer Mist - Haven't seen it and again, not much of a shiny person

Brads, Rhinestones, Embellishments--have acquired a decent assortment in the last year and I do use them.

Basic Grey DP - I like DP but prefer the SU! stuff that coordinates with all my inks. Have a ridiculously large stash of other stuff I've picked up on sale/clearance various times. Basic Grey isn't as appealing to me usually as American Crafts is.

Stampin' Up Stamps - I have almost all SU! in my collection but have been focusing on completing my ink collection over the last 6 mos. Did just put an order in for Baroque Motifs that I've been coveting since it came out in July. I do try to stay focused on sets that are very versatile though.

Acrylic (clear) Stamp Sets - I have a set at PaperTray on my wish list but other than that, I don't feel too compelled yet. As I said, I have a lot of stamp sets already.

Various New-ish Stamp Lines Featured By Design Team Members on SCS --I want Gina's Make a Wish set but that's all that's on my list right now. Cute stuff but I don't think I'd get much use out of the various individual Bellas and some of the other stuff is either not my style or appears I would have a hard time making it look god.

Crop-A-Dile - Got it for Christmas and very happy about that! I'm loving the mini-album stuff and this seems to be an integral part of making many of the designs I like. Also, HATE pounding so never did do eyelets because of it.

Ribbon - I have some but don't tend to buy lots of it. I watch some of the ribbon shares though and may make the leap this year. I'm sort of bow-tarded though but some direction from here and a blog have helped improve that.

Marvy punches - Love the look and that's why I want the Nestibilities. These are too big & heavy to tote around, too hard to store and too limited in my mind.

Twinkling H2O's - Another item I don't 'get' how to use.

Bind-It-All - Not on my radar right now but I can see why it appeals to folks.

My $'s will probably continue toward rounding out ink and paper selection from SU! and about then I'll hopefully be moving to a new house and I've got to figure out some organization stuff when I know where I'm going. It's not really working for me right now and I want to spend some money to make that happen.

Peg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #65  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks for all the responses! I'm really impressed by so many people coming out of the closet and admitting they aren't buying the "cool" stuff, and for good reasons. With all the wonderful enabling that goes on here, it's a bit refreshing!

Now, since I'm not getting the nestabilities, perhaps I should get a few more scalloped punches.... I do like those scallops....;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Some other stuff that I don't have that everyone else has is SU! inks and papers.

During the time (about 1998 to 2005) I took a break from Stampin' Up!, when LSSs were springing up, I stopped buying stamps from demos and started buying from the local stores. I also only bought line-image stamps, so only needed black ink. So matching papers was not a priority for me. I am still drowning in stacks of paper from the local paper warehouse (250 sheets per stack - and I always bought paper in stacks). The stores started carrying Tim Holtz's distress inks and so now I have almost their entire colour line, but only two Stampin' Up! ink pads (Always Artichoke and Whisper White craft).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

When I first began stamping (8 years ago) I purchased a lot of "stuff". In the last three years I have become very selective (might be because I have so darn much stuff collecting dust). I'm really trying to go back to the basics in all parts of my life so my goal for this year is SIMPLIFY, recycle and if my urge is really great I'll buy a few pieces of paper for that day I might need it. There are lots of trends I haven't purchased, but I really think it is great that the art continues to progress and new items are created for our use - if we so choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by p7eggycView Post
Twinkling H2O's - Another item I don't 'get' how to use.
These are one item that I think are worth every penny! You can watercolor images, break off little pieces and put them in a little sprayer with water to make your own glimmer mist (and do cool effects as seen here), color wash, and just general cool painted effects (like here). And of course you can also apply them direct to rubber and use them just like ink. I didn't buy them the second they came out, but I'm definitely glad that I've invested in these babies! You *DON'T* need every color, though. I have 2 of the larger sets and I've been able to do everything I've wanted with them.
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #69  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This is a GREAT thread! I think the key thing to remember is that if you love it and know you will use it, you should buy it! Don't be pressured by anyone else's tastes or because 'everyone's doing it'. If you're not 100 percent excited about buying it or it just isn't 'you', then you shouldn't buy it. I learned from my days as an instructor at Archivers, that you should at least go and get a demo of it and use it in person before you buy it, because I saw lots of products come and go, some of which I'm not a big fan of and really didn't even want to recommend to customers. So all I could do was tell them what I preferred, but let them try the new tool and see if it was what they were expecting. Everyone's tastes are different.

I also will say that there are products out there that I was not a fan of until I was TAUGHT how to use them. Learn how to use it before you buy it.

Just my 2 cents!

Dirty Dozen Alumni Oct. 2008 - Mar. 2009
http://www.shabbychickjunk.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

Life circumstances have forced me to reexamine my stamping 'needs';) . When I first started out, I had to have it all, even became a SU hobby demo, just to get the discount on all the stuff I had to have. After moving several times & not using my stuff for almost a year. I've jumped back in feet first. Now, instead of buying everything I see, I've learned some of the things really like & get items related to those. For example, I love to color, so I have the SU wwc, I got the huge sets of pearl ex ~ made my own paints out of them, but I really love the twinkling H2Os ~ these have all been gifts & I use them with the pearl ex paints that I made. I didn't get the prismas or other color pencils, cause I just can't seem to make them look nice, & am happy with the wwc ~ SU took the stress out too by having the color wheel & matching papers, inks, etc. I've decided that I just don't want to deal with rubber stamps any more. If I can't 'see' where I'm stamping I don't want to deal with it ~ I'm just too much of a perfectionist :rolleyes: . As for the Copics, well, I'm just gonna love looking at what the 'great' artists are doing with them & save my none existent money. One of the last 'big' things I had to have was the Cricut, & frankly have not used it enough to justified it. But it did come in handy when I needed 75 cut outs for my daughters 3rd class activity ~ I even forgot I had the thing - I rushed to several stores searching for the perfect punch to buy ~ then I had the V8 moment... Now I'm gonna use it to make my Christmas tags for next year ~ I'm thinking I might make some for my relatives ~ so they can save a trip to the dollar store :twisted: I ordered a Crop-a-dile ~ and must say it is great ~ the only thing I don't like is the size of the hole punch - my small eyelets fall right thru. But in an apartment not making the loud banging noise at night to set my eyelets is a definite plus.
I have a couple items on my wish list ~ the 2 clear sets of Penny Black hedgehogs ~ & after that my New Years resolution is not to buy anything new this year. And to use all the stuff I already have or to PIF. One thing I should do that I really don't want to is get rid of some of my SU sets. I'm not sure when this will happen, because I just can't bring myself to do it, but I really must.
Ok, so this post hasn't really been on track ~ but oh well...:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGMommyof2View Post
I've decided that I just don't want to deal with rubber stamps any more. If I can't 'see' where I'm stamping I don't want to deal with it.
Me too - when it's alphabet sets I will now only buy clear stamps - not even unmounted rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #72  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am always cognizant of craft industry trends, which come and go in the same way that fashion and home decor trends do.

But, I base my purchases primarily on:
  1. Its personal appeal to me (taste)
  2. Usability and versatility--does it do what I need it to, and more, does it increase my creative options
  3. Quality/longevity
  4. How likely I am to use it to make it worth the investment
I could care less whether or not anything is popular or trendy, nor what anybody else is doing or buying; it has to meet the above listed qualifications.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #73  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Since my name was mentioned on this thread, I thought I would chime in. LOL!

Trend reports are just that- reports of the new hot tools and products. But just because something is hot, doesn't mean you will either need it or want it.

I mean, let's face it. Belly button rings were a huge hot trend. Did I get one? Uh...no. (And not just because you wouldn't be able to see it either.) It didn't meet my needs. Or remember when everyone and their mother got a perm? Even people who already had curly hair??? For some people, that really works...not for me. I just end up looking like as SOS Pad.

But that being said, it's still fun to read about what the latest things are and what they do. For those of you who read my "Top 10 list," I'm sure you could tell it was pretty tongue-in-cheek. (I really didn't use the Nestabilities to make shutters for my house. I don't even have the nestabilities...yet. LOL!)
In fact, I don't have quite a few things on that list, but it's fun to hear what others think about them and then decide if they are for me or not.

I wrote an article for Craft Critique a while ago about how little you really do need to make beautiful cards and that with less than $100.00, you can have everything you need to make lots of fun things.

You should decide what you want to purchase based on the way you stamp and what your purse will allow. And look at the trends as entertainment and information for the future.

Happy stamping!!
Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #74  
Insane Embellisher

The main reason I don't follow trends as closely is because DH and I work overseas in Asia, and a lot of products just aren't available there (I can't even find normal cardstock - forget copics, Bind-It-Alls, jeweled brads, the latest greatest dp, etc.!). I do try to stock up when we make the occasional trip back to the States, but due to limited funds (and suitcase space), I have to be pretty choosy - what can give me the most "bang for my buck?" We're in the States right now, and DH just bought me a Cuttlebug so I can make my own embellishments. Yeah, the cost of the machine plus dies does add up, but in my situation it's a good investment - making my own embellishments is pretty much my best option. Of course there's a ton of other products I'd love to get, but I've got to leave some room in the luggage for all those new stamp sets I'm sure I'll be ordering from the new catty!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Since my name was mentioned on this thread, I thought I would chime in. LOL!

Trend reports are just that- reports of the new hot tools and products. But just because something is hot, doesn't mean you will either need it or want it.

I mean, let's face it. Belly button rings were a huge hot trend. Did I get one? Uh...no. (And not just because you wouldn't be able to see it either.) It didn't meet my needs. Or remember when everyone and their mother got a perm? Even people who already had curly hair??? For some people, that really works...not for me. I just end up looking like as SOS Pad.

But that being said, it's still fun to read about what the latest things are and what they do. For those of you who read my "Top 10 list," I'm sure you could tell it was pretty tongue-in-cheek. (I really didn't use the Nestabilities to make shutters for my house. I don't even have the nestabilities...yet. LOL!)
In fact, I don't have quite a few things on that list, but it's fun to hear what others think about them and then decide if they are for me or not.

I wrote an article for Craft Critique a while ago about how little you really do need to make beautiful cards and that with less than $100.00, you can have everything you need to make lots of fun things.

You should decide what you want to purchase based on the way you stamp and what your purse will allow. And look at the trends as entertainment and information for the future.

Happy stamping!!
Hugs,
Gina K.
Well, I'm re-shingling my roof with the scalloped nestabilities and sheets of tin and I'm the talk of the neighborhood!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been making cards for 10 years, and have been using SU products for the last 4 years or so. I am very disciplined with myself. I made a rule that I will have no more than 30 stamp sets at a time....as I can't see myself remembering to use them if I have any more than that. I must say that I have loved dry embossing ever since I started making cards....and stood at a window with a stencil for a long long time....I still do NOT have a light table....but I must confess....after a long deliberation I did break down and buy the cuttlebug....not because of the popularity of it, just because I have always loved the dry embossed look. I actually don't have much interest at all in the die cuts......Just thought I'd share....I try to keep my inventory down to a manageable level, so I actually USE what I have....Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #77  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
...But that being said, it's still fun to read about what the latest things are and what they do. For those of you who read my "Top 10 list," I'm sure you could tell it was pretty tongue-in-cheek. (I really didn't use the Nestabilities to make shutters for my house. I don't even have the nestabilities...yet. LOL!)
Hugs,
Gina K.
It's likely your top 10 list that got my subconscious working on this question in the first place, and I sure hope you do another one next year. Those sorts of lists are always fun, and I (and lots of others who have chimed in on this thread) get inspired by trends even when I don't buy into them.

With all the recent threads on over-spending, buying and not using, and the need for budgets and such, I thought a thread about NOT spending would be interesting. It sure has been!

As for the shutters on your house, when you get those nestabilities, I say go for it! I personally can' wait to see Joan post pics of her newly shingled roof on Paperlicious! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #78  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloriousGreetingsView Post
I have been making cards for 10 years, and have been using SU products for the last 4 years or so. I am very disciplined with myself. I made a rule that I will have no more than 30 stamp sets at a time....as I can't see myself remembering to use them if I have any more than that. I must say that I have loved dry embossing ever since I started making cards....and stood at a window with a stencil for a long long time....I still do NOT have a light table....but I must confess....after a long deliberation I did break down and buy the cuttlebug....not because of the popularity of it, just because I have always loved the dry embossed look. I actually don't have much interest at all in the die cuts......Just thought I'd share....I try to keep my inventory down to a manageable level, so I actually USE what I have....Thanks.
I've learned to be this sensible and disciplined (most of the time), but made lots of expensive mistakes early on, LOL! Bet you're lovin' that Bug!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #79  
Mad Swapper

I haven't read all the posts, but to the OP, I did not jump on the cuttlebug bandwagon, although I was tempted. Now I am really tired of seeing the cards done with it. They begin to all look alike. Sorry, no offense to anyone.

I do like the nesting ovals and circles and scallops. I think they have much more versatility. Although, because I am an SU only girl, I don't really need them. I have more than I can do with my SU supplies.

I think we sometimes question our own creativity so we think more tools will make our projects look better, but that is really not the case. All we really need is the basics in the way of tools, so just give me more stamps please! That's where the wonderful projects really come from! Oh yeah, and papers too and beautiful colors in inks and matching card stock!

BTW, has anyone seen the new paper stack that is a Level 1 in the new SU catty? To die for!

Mary A.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

I tend to be late on trends, both in crafting (and fashion! LOL!)

As for the crafting trends, I try to not get started on some of them, because I'm know I'm an all or nothing type of person. BUT, it does seem as though I do give in on most, but months later.

So right now I would really like to have the copic markers, I've read that they are expensive so I think I may try the prisma markers instead.

I spend an enormous amount of money on craft supplies, mostly SU. My problem is I can't keep up with the trends as fast as I'd like. I am a hobby demo and I am my main customer, I have one other customer. I still want tons of stuff from the current catalog and retired list. It seems like the mini's really put me far behind as I always want so much from these. I'm glad we will be having less of these per year.

I do have a cricut, and now since Christmas the Expression, but I'm somewhat behind on the cartridges. I also have the cuttlebug embossing folders. The scalloped punches were a late purchase, long after everyone else had them, but I don't regret getting any of them.

I would love to have just about every set from Papertrey, but I haven't been able to get them as I always have to get the SU first, before they are no longer available.

The background stamps from Cornish Heritage Farms (is that the co. name?) are on my want list also.

I really want to unmount all of my stamps, but the idea of spending a ton of money on EZ mount foam rather than everything else I want is holding me back.

Anyway, in the end I do get what I want, just a bit later than what I see here on SCS. I just wonder how so many keep current with all the new stamps and extras?

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes