Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green Stampers

How many of you consider yourselves to be "Green" stampers/crafters? If so what types of things do you recycle in your craft?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I try to be but I know I have room for improvement. I recycle all scraps of paper if it will fit a punch I save it. After I finish a sheet of pop dots I cut up the sheet itself and use it. I save all packaging, rather it's stuffing or the actual "box" it comes in and reuse for 3-D items. I recycle paper from our printing at home. I receive all chipboard from work from scratch pad, legal pads, etcl... I am now trying to figure out how to store my buttons without having to buy some type of organization.

Thanks for the thread I am interested in seeing what everyone else is doing.:mrgreen:

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Thanks Dianne, I hope we hear from more crafters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

This has come up before but I can't find the thread now. Anyway, I knew I'd reposted my reply on a UK forum I belong to so I've just popped across there and copied it so here are some of the things I do...

I try to look at anything I'm about to throw in the trash and decide if it might be useful for crafting in some way. Anything with even a vague whiff of "usefulness" about it gets saved :lol:

I get quite a few things sent to me in boardback envelopes (I'm a proofreader) which is great weight chipboard and a sort of kraft colour - that always gets saved and used for die cut or scissor cut elements.

Cereal packet board is useful for things with a bit of body, too - if it's not sturdy enough for what you want, you can stick a couple of layers together (useful for covers for mini books etc).

I save metal from tomato paste tubes (I know you guys usually buy it in cans but it's worth looking out for tubes as they're less wasteful if you tend not to use the whole can at once - you can just recap the tube and put it in the fridge ready for next time). The metal is soft enough to cut with scissors or dies and it embosses beautifully in the CBug folders and is a lovely rich gold colour inside the tube. Soda cans can be used too.

I can't remember the last time I bought buttons designed for papercrafting. Any piece of clothing that's worn out gets the buttons snipped off before it's trashed. If you use something like Copics or Sharpies you can tint a white button to match your project if you want to. I sometimes use the fabric from old clothing for papercraft projects, too (denim from old jeans can be great for those pesky masculine and teen cards!).

I store my cling stamps in CD cases which means I have the heavy clear sheets they came on originally - those make good bases for clear cards. Other clear packaging from things like Spellbinder dies etc can be used to make your own "ghost shapes" if you die cut it.

Pages from old books and magazines or sheet music can make interesting embellishments and backgrounds. Check out things like the gesso resist technique in the resources section for an idea for using magazine pages. Flowers or butterflies punched or die cut from old books or sheet music can look fun and whimsical or totally vintage!

Broken jewellery, mismatched earrings etc can give you some useful embellishments - it's worth asking in goodwill stores as they sometimes have those things that they can't put out for sale and they'll let you have them really cheaply.

I save stuff like ribbon or twine from packaging of things like chocolates and flowers (there's a running joke in this house about the chocolates that DH often buys me at the airport when he's been on a business trip - he has to choose the box by how useful the ribbon will be!).

Hope that gives you some new ideas somewhere in that lot! Have fun!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been doing a weekly feature on my blog call Thursday's Throw Aways where I'll use recycling in my projects. You can take a look here.

I have a box of things that I've been saving because they all have "possibilities" at another life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
This has come up before but I can't find the thread now. Anyway, I knew I'd reposted my reply on a UK forum I belong to so I've just popped across there and copied it so here are some of the things I do...

I try to look at anything I'm about to throw in the trash and decide if it might be useful for crafting in some way. Anything with even a vague whiff of "usefulness" about it gets saved :lol:

I get quite a few things sent to me in boardback envelopes (I'm a proofreader) which is great weight chipboard and a sort of kraft colour - that always gets saved and used for die cut or scissor cut elements.

Cereal packet board is useful for things with a bit of body, too - if it's not sturdy enough for what you want, you can stick a couple of layers together (useful for covers for mini books etc).

I save metal from tomato paste tubes (I know you guys usually buy it in cans but it's worth looking out for tubes as they're less wasteful if you tend not to use the whole can at once - you can just recap the tube and put it in the fridge ready for next time). The metal is soft enough to cut with scissors or dies and it embosses beautifully in the CBug folders and is a lovely rich gold colour inside the tube. Soda cans can be used too.

I can't remember the last time I bought buttons designed for papercrafting. Any piece of clothing that's worn out gets the buttons snipped off before it's trashed. If you use something like Copics or Sharpies you can tint a white button to match your project if you want to. I sometimes use the fabric from old clothing for papercraft projects, too (denim from old jeans can be great for those pesky masculine and teen cards!).

I store my cling stamps in CD cases which means I have the heavy clear sheets they came on originally - those make good bases for clear cards. Other clear packaging from things like Spellbinder dies etc can be used to make your own "ghost shapes" if you die cut it.

Pages from old books and magazines or sheet music can make interesting embellishments and backgrounds. Check out things like the gesso resist technique in the resources section for an idea for using magazine pages. Flowers or butterflies punched or die cut from old books or sheet music can look fun and whimsical or totally vintage!

Broken jewellery, mismatched earrings etc can give you some useful embellishments - it's worth asking in goodwill stores as they sometimes have those things that they can't put out for sale and they'll let you have them really cheaply.

I save stuff like ribbon or twine from packaging of things like chocolates and flowers (there's a running joke in this house about the chocolates that DH often buys me at the airport when he's been on a business trip - he has to choose the box by how useful the ribbon will be!).

I too recycle my buttons. The only buttons I've bought are clear.

These ideas are wonderful, thanks for sharing.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

These are all great ideas and really get me thinking. Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Instead of the tomato cans, I use soda cans to make embellishments or backgrounds. I also use the tabs to make chains or embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I save all the 'extra' buttons that come with clothes. Those are all in a recycled prima jar. Then the tiny plastic zip-bags the buttons are usually in are used to store brads, eyelets, etc. I recycle out of space necessity! Those little baggies take up so much less room than the cardboard/plastic packages stuff usually comes in! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Pidgesmom, I absolutely loved all your ideas! I can't wait for next week's new idea!!!

I also recycle ribbon and rafia attached to anything that doesn't move. I've been known to cut those satin-ey ribbons used to hang a garment on a hanger out of a shirt and use it in a project.

I have a friend that is always on the look out for me (and I didn't even have to ask!) for items. She finds things I might never have thought of. I love having 2 sets of eyes looking for items to be repurposed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Used dryer sheets are one of my favorite things to recycle, since they have such an interesting texture. They can be tinted with watercolors and then heat set. There's an example in my gallery: Digi-Stamp Pierced Scrapbook Layout by Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

This is an odd thing to admit to, but when I have an order from Papertrey Ink I cut up the top band of paper that is around the clear boxes. (Of course I save my clear boxes). The top bands have a nice design and I can use the scraps for punches or to cut them the same shape and make lots of squares for a card background, etc...There is enough area that does not have writing on it that it seems worth saving those scraps, at least to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I use my small wintermint containers for brads & eyelets. I also, save and recycle buttons. I save the brown paper from the stampin up boxes and I use that for under my stamping projects. Any types of ribbons, threads, string from packages, gifts etc. I reuse Christmas cards and make gift tags with them.
It is not a ton but at least it is something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammykuView Post
Pidgesmom, I absolutely loved all your ideas! I can't wait for next week's new idea!!!

I also recycle ribbon and rafia attached to anything that doesn't move. I've been known to cut those satin-ey ribbons used to hang a garment on a hanger out of a shirt and use it in a project.

I have a friend that is always on the look out for me (and I didn't even have to ask!) for items. She finds things I might never have thought of. I love having 2 sets of eyes looking for items to be repurposed!
Thanks Sammyku.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
This is an odd thing to admit to, but when I have an order from Papertrey Ink I cut up the top band of paper that is around the clear boxes. (Of course I save my clear boxes). The top bands have a nice design and I can use the scraps for punches or to cut them the same shape and make lots of squares for a card background, etc...There is enough area that does not have writing on it that it seems worth saving those scraps, at least to me.
I save mine, too! I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I have made flowers out of dryer sheets. There are two on my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, it's so nice to be respectable! Used to be people like us were called "packrats," and that wasn't necessarily complimentary! Now, we're "green."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldsk34View Post
I try to be but I know I have room for improvement. I recycle all scraps of paper if it will fit a punch I save it. After I finish a sheet of pop dots I cut up the sheet itself and use it. I save all packaging, rather it's stuffing or the actual "box" it comes in and reuse for 3-D items. I recycle paper from our printing at home. I receive all chipboard from work from scratch pad, legal pads, etcl... I am now trying to figure out how to store my buttons without having to buy some type of organization.

Thanks for the thread I am interested in seeing what everyone else is doing.:mrgreen:
I use old Ball canning jars to store buttons in. I have an old fish bowl that houses scrap ribbon.

Last edited by stampinsweeney; 08-22-2009 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pidgesmomView Post
I've been doing a weekly feature on my blog call Thursday's Throw Aways where I'll use recycling in my projects. You can take a look here.

I have a box of things that I've been saving because they all have "possibilities" at another life!
I love your Thursday Throw Aways articles. They're wonderful!

Cyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm "green" in many areas. I buy as much organic food as I can, I recycle lots and also got everyone at work to recycle, I keep lights off, hand clothes to dry, I take old magazines to area laundromats, etc. When my kids were little I was even better at it. But with my card making....not so good. It's passes my mind to green up my cards but I haven't done it. Maybe I will get some inspiration from this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I also make flowers from coffee filters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
I cut up the clear box and used the pieces as "clear cardstock".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I try to participate in challenges here on SCS, so whenever I have an odd assortment of cards around (which really seems like efvryday) I put them in the clear boxes and give them as gifts. Sometimes I have a use for cards I make, and some of them I don't, or I don't personally like them but I know someone else will like them more. I consider the boxes valuable and could never cut one up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aw, I did not mean the boxes were not valuable - I cut it up because I loved how sturdy and thick the plastic was! That is quality plastic there!!! I used it as cover sheets for my precious clear stamps, so the actual box material IS still around - covering up my clear stamps!!

I never ever ever ever have any odd card lying around!!! I am sooooooo behind on card making!!! Every time I get one made, it is already spoken for. My husband gets first dibs on everything so if he likes it, I have to make a second one for the intended recipient. Also, my goal is to send one card a day to my nephew and niece (which, it is more like once a week).

Another thing I try to recycle is cereal boxes. I make templates from them. Also, sometimes I do cut them in half and string some ribbon through, so it can actually be a holder for something. Or I use it as chipboard, like someone else said.

Once I made a book from the backings of the watercolour paper pads (the sturdy chipboard-like backing). That took a LOT of effort though and I'm unlikely to do that again! But I can still use it as chipboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I usually use the cereal boxes for making templates too. Any other terrific ideas out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I like to save the containers that frosting comes in, because they are easy to alter and reuse for orgainization. Cereal boxes make a nice layer of sturdy backing---hate flimsie projects! Old magazines are fun to use the packing tape technique. Love to cut up old phone books, dictionaries, children's books........anything goes, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

subscribing... the only things I do have been mentioned
I used cereal boxes for mini albums, the extra buttons that come w/ garments
Gourmet Play Food Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I just created a sunflower from drink tray from the fastfood places. Can you give me other ideas of what to do with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

. . .

I, too, will also clip ribbon, string, or twine from packages, including chocolates.

I also have been known to disassemble a cat's old collar to get the buckle portion or the metal clips on it to use for ribbon slides.

I've saved some gift cards that have decorative edges or punched designs on them so I can use them (some day) for paper piercing--I have a brass one from Target that has punched holes for 3 different sized snowflakes.

Today, I just cut apart an about-to-be discarded tissue box because it was a pretty floral pink--I might need the pretty part at some point.

I save bubble wrap and boxes to a point. I also save the packing peanuts that come with merchandise. The local UPS store will take and recycle them, which I think is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am a green stamper. I save everything. I use the plastic from my packaging instead of acetate.

I use boxes for chipboard. I cut out unusual patterns on my packaging.

Tonight my son gave me a B-day card. He got it from Hallmark. Don't shoot him, lol. It's so beautiful and he spent a fortune. The envelope was made out of nice paper. I cut it up to use on a project.

I have a shelf in one room I dedicate to recycle crafts. I also use soda cans and tin cans in my crafting.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have repurposed small pop top cans to have for a gift. I made up a couple gifts for Christmas using them for my mom and friend that both stamp and scrap. They loved it. My friend pryed the bottom off, so she could keep from popping the top and use it again. LOL
Gourmet Play Food Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

When I buy new clothes I save the tags. Mostly on my kids clothes because some of them I redo but alot have cute sayings etc. Recently on some back to school clothes I got my DD it had two tags, a clear one with a palm tree and an orange/yellow one with a sunset. Not sure what I will use them for yet.

Also I reuse old pill bottles. I will fill them with m&m's or red hots and attach a card that says take two of these & call me in the morning. I decorate the bottle too.

I save just about everything and when I am shopping I look at the container food comes in for ideas.

Oh I almost forgot, when we go out to eat at fast food, I save the containers that fried or nuggets, etc come in to use as a pattern for future projects.
Reply With Quote Likes