Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you store them so...

you know where to find the one you want??

I have my sets stacked on a shelf. But I have to search through all of them to find the one I want. Any suggestions on how to make it simple???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

What about by size and then alphabetical in that size? Or labeling them with colored labels and sort them by colors (alphabets are red, flowers are green, etc.) I know some organize them in the same category as SU! has them organized.
I don't have enough stamps yet for this to be a huge problem for me so I can't tell you what I personally do.
GL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I have plastic tubs that I store them in. I have one for alphabets, word sets, flowers, holidays, misc. This may not work if you have a ton of sets, but it works well for me. This way I know which box to look in for what I want and the sets aren't just stacked on a shelf. LOL!! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #4  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store by size and alphabetically. The more seasonal ones get stored in an iris cart while the year round ones are on shelves.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I had mine in tube/plastic shoe boxes, but it became very disorganized and I couldn't see what stamps were in the boxes. I am placing them back into the plastic stampinup clear boxes - now I have to buy ALOTTTTT of them - UGH. I will label the sides of the boxes - birthday, flowers, mothersday, sayings, etc. They tend to take up much less room when they are in these boxes.
Good luck.
Jackie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a 5 shelf bookcase where I've labeled the shelves to match the sections in the Idea Book and Catalog. Before I mount the stamps, I copy the label sheet to place in the bottom of the case so they can get in the right case during cleanup and also can easily tell when one is missing.

I printed labels (return size) with the names of the sections that I place on the stamp case in the lower right so I (and my customers that help straighten up) know what shelf to put it on.

The top shelf is for Hostess and Mini sets as they are not truly current/retired yet.

The middle shelves are the current sets and the bottom shelf is Oldies but Goodies AKA retired that I can't part with. I have the other retired sets cataloged in a WORD document and they are packed in a plastic tub.

When I'm really organized, they sets in each group are stacked by size and alphabetical within size.

So far it's what's worked best for me.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa

Last edited by redapron; 01-25-2006 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

First I stamp them in a notebook and then place them in there alphabetically. I put a small lable on the front of the stamp set with the letter that it begins with in a bright color and stack them on shelves alphabetically. When I'm looking for a set to stamp with I look in the notebooks and find the one that I like and it's easy to find on the shelf. I hope this makes sense.
Have a great day!
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortuga
First I stamp them in a notebook and then place them in there alphabetically.
My upline taught me to make a copy of the sticky labels that come with your stamp sets before you even mount them; then just put the copy into the notebook. Saves even more time! ;)

Wife to Cory, SAHM to Celessa (16) and Jaken (2)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I throw them willy nilly in baskets and spend tons of time looking for them. I think I need a plan.............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2006, 09:37 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Thanks Angie. I will keep that in mind. I like to stamp them to make sure I cut the stamp to my liking.
Thanks again,
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I do the notebook thing, too, but my stamp sets are all crowded into a plastic box, so I still have to hunt for the one I want. I don't have a bunch of them yet, but it still could be better organized! Thanks for all the ideas everyone has posted! I am feeling inspired!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Stamp Storage

What a problem to have huh? I have about 150 sets and keep mine in Iris Carts sorted by box size. I stack the stamp boxes vertically so I can get about 12-15 sets in one drawer, all depending on size. I have 2 carts and I refuse to get another one so I've got to start thinking about downsizing.

I have recently stamped a notebook too and boy has it made life easier. Amazing what I forgot I had! I did put pink dots (avery circle stickers) on the ones that are retired as well. I do stamp camps and I would pull all the drawers out and have them out for my ladies to use. After 3 months of nobody using them, I did the notebook. We'll see how it works. I will get the stamps they want. I figure two trips is better than 15 (down/up stairs...)

If you want a digital picture, PM me and I'll post one. It's nothing special but it has worked so far. I put the SU sticker on the outside so I know the names (spine side so I can see it when I open the drawer.)

If you find an awe inspiring solution, do tell! I'm always looking for new ways to organize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I store mine on a shelf with the lids off. I, also put a larger white label with the name of the set on both ends of the box that is easier to read. Then I store them by box size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2006, 05:56 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I keep a list/picture in a notebook, but mine is not for organization, my notebook is to avoid duplication. I not only stamp my stamps in it, I also stamp samples of all of my inks and pigments, cut samples from my scissors, punch samples with all my punches, take snippets from all my ribbons, and mark with all my markers. I am very careful to write down names and brands of all my different samples. Then, when I go to the store, or look through a catty, I can flip pages and say, oh, I have that or oh, I am out of that, or oh, I would so like to add that to my collection...you get the idea. As far as organizing my stamps, they are just in a gigantic rubbermaid tub, and I have to dig like crazy to find the ones I want. Except my su sets, they are in their original boxes inside the rubbermaid, so they are pretty easy to find.

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I store mine in those 3-drawer Rubbermaid units by broad topics: flowers, sentiments, nature, vintage, background stamps, girly, alphabets, friendship, occasions, country, boys, borders/frames/geometric, Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, summer. I think that's all of them...

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2006, 10:37 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Post Storage

Ah, after many years of this wonderful addiction, stamp storage is still an issue!!! I have several methods. Stampin up sets are stored in their cases, on their side, on bookshelves. That takes care of probably 80+ stamp sets. I also have a stamp "vault", which is slightly narrower and shorter than a standard door. It has a piano hinge down one side, and is completely full of stamps....maybe 200, maybe more? You open it, and you have two walls of stamps stored one deep on narrow adjustable shelves. I need another vault. This is designed to mount on a wall in the dead space behind a door, and can be mounted to open either right or left. Years ago, I used Iris carts.

"If you know how many stamps you have, you don't have enough."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I have mine in baskets catagorized by my own labels like kids, birthdays, holidays, alphabets, flowers, backgrounds, etc.......... They sit upright with the label on each box up so all I do is grab that basket (label is stapled to the front) and then find which set I want. All baskets are on shelves (that dh put up for me) in the closet (no doors on the closet) so I can get to them easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

A suggestion I read on a different message board a while back, and which I fully intend to implement "someday when I get organized:"

- Set up a binder (or binders!) divided into categories. Some that she suggested were Nature, Sentiments, Alphabets, Fantasy, Floral, Holiday . . there was a whole long list that I don't remember all of. Stamp each stamp in each category it fits in. A flower stamp might fit in Floral and Nature. Snowflake stamps could fit in Nature and Christmas and Winter. You'll probably have lots of stamps that fit in more than one category. Then next to the stamp, make note of everything you know about it - manufacturer, whether it's mounted or not, the name of the set it belongs to, and where it's stored.

- For storage, she had a combination of binders and cd cases for unmounted stamps, pizza boxes for mounted stamps that weren't part of other sets, and the sets she kept in the boxes they came in. So for where it is stored, you might list "Shelf A, Binder 1" or "Iris A, Drawer 2" etc.

Major work to get it all set up, especially if you have a lot of stamps to start with. The beauty of the plan is that it is infinitely expandable, you completely customize your categories to suit yourself, and it covers those of us who buy stamps from everywhere. The biggest plus for me is if I buy stamps in a set, I want to keep that set together, but I also want to be able to go to my "Sentiments" section and see ALL my stamps of that sort. And some of those will be in Nature sets, or Floral sets, or somewhere else.

Wow. Now I'm all revved to get my butt in gear on this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #19  
The Digi-Freak

they usually end up in a big pile all around me, all on my desk... but the goal is sorted by box size and the most frequently used on top....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

I have two huge drawers and regular image sets are stored alpha. Word sets are in another container and backgrounds and alpha's in their own basket on my desktop since I use them so frequently! Oh and holiday themes are in their own container too (any holiday).

TAC stamps are in CD cases in a CD tower, alpha order! All other sets are stored by category in containers...flowers/nature, holidays, kids, etc!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:07 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I also do the binder thing, stamping whole stamp sets, and also by category. To find a set quickly, I typed the name of the set and # in the set on a strip of paper and it is taped to the inside edge of the plastic stamp box. (the little sticky strip that comes with the set is put on the top of the stamp box) I put all these on edge alphabetcially on cupboard shelves. The only things I have separated are the alphabets, numbers, backgrounds, and "word only" sets, but they are also alphabetized in their own little groups in the same cupboard. By putting them on edge, I can get LOTS of sets on a shelf!

HTH

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #22  
First To Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubiestone
Ah, after many years of this wonderful addiction, stamp storage is still an issue!!! I have several methods. Stampin up sets are stored in their cases, on their side, on bookshelves. That takes care of probably 80+ stamp sets. I also have a stamp "vault", which is slightly narrower and shorter than a standard door. It has a piano hinge down one side, and is completely full of stamps....maybe 200, maybe more? You open it, and you have two walls of stamps stored one deep on narrow adjustable shelves. I need another vault. This is designed to mount on a wall in the dead space behind a door, and can be mounted to open either right or left. Years ago, I used Iris carts.
This sounds perfect~ I had thought that stamps need to be stored flat tho. Does anyone else store theirs on the side & is it okay????

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

As I mentioned, I store mine on the side, with the opening up, and it is fine.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another plus to having a binder with all your images stamped and stamping them right after you mount them is, you will know right away if there's a problem with the rubber. I had a stamp that was missing a part, but since it was within the first 90 days, SU replaced it right away! I always mount and stamp my stamps as soon as I get them. Mostly for that reason, but I usually can't wait to play either
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

This is what I do....
I store them on a shelf in my craft room closet. I label each set with a white address label on the end with the name of the set and #of stamps in the set. I like to be able to open the closet door and read the labels standing there. I think that the clear label that come with the sets are hard to read at a glance.
Then I color code them according to what type of set they are.
I have a bunch of little smile face stickers and that is what I use. such as ...pink= alphabet, orange= greeting, yellow= seasonal, green= all season, blue= flowers, etc. They are then stacked according to their color codes.

That is just my 2 cents worth and what works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I keep all my SU sets in their original boxes in one cabinet (for now!)...I write the name of the set on an avery label so it is easy to see/read, stick that to the side facing out...I dont have too many so I can kind of remember which stamps go with each set name...I also put a red R on the retired sets...

For my non-SU sets, I keep them by category in little flip top storage boxes...again labeled with avery labels...on another shelving system...

good luck with whatever you decide...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 04:52 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

I store my stamps in plastic bins i bought at walmart on their ends and do not have a problem with them. I sort by size so that i can get the most in the bins as possible. I have tried keeping them by alpha also, but don't do a good job of keeping them in order. I have about three bins full, but need to buy a new bin...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 05:49 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortuga
First I stamp them in a notebook and then place them in there alphabetically. I put a small lable on the front of the stamp set with the letter that it begins with in a bright color and stack them on shelves alphabetically. When I'm looking for a set to stamp with I look in the notebooks and find the one that I like and it's easy to find on the shelf. I hope this makes sense.
Have a great day!
Diane

one of my costomers i think is using this idea.... i need to find a way for me because i am outgrowing my desk and need new space to put my stampsets in....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Default I take the sticker sheet that SU provides and make

a photo copy of it and keep it in a binder. The rest of my stamps, I just stamp on cardstock and put in the binder as well. The sets I store alphabetically by size, stacked on their sides in plastic storage containers. The rest of the stamps are in rubbermaid or sterlite 3 drawer storage units. I have each drawer numbered and I write the number next to the image I've stamped. It makes it easy to find anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink stamp storage

I also photocopy the SU stickers to stick in a binder. Then they go into Sterilite Carts by category. The binder is in alphabetical order by stamp set with a reference as to which drawer it lives in.

Lately, I've been wondering about redesigning the system. I've heard that stamp sets should not be stored more than two high because it starts to compress the rubber. Has anybody had this problem? Is this something that takes five years to happen or closer to 50? If it takes a really long time to happen then I'm OK with just rotating the stamp sets from the bottom back to the top occasionally.

And it will be like getting new stamps all over again!

-SnazzyStamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #31  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I throw them willy nilly in baskets and spend tons of time looking for them. I think I need a plan.............
LOL! What a relief to discover you're not ALL organisational freaks!!!!

I have a sort of system... boxes marked "Garden", "Animals", "Backgrounds" etc... but then there are always those stamps that fall into more than one category. And then there the boxes that are too full, so the lids won't go on, and the stamps just get chucked into the box next door. :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was a GOOD system!
Reply With Quote Likes