Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Making cards

Hi Ladies,

I would really appreciate your opinions on this. I have been carding making for over 7 years and a scrapbooker before that. I have always loved crafting. I have seen many cards I liked and quickly jumped on the wagon and bought and then realized that I did not like it as much. This includes many types of stamps and embellishments. I usually see a card and then CASE it. To this day I still don't think I have my style. I have made a couple of cards totally on my own and when I say a couple I mean that. So now after collecting and reselling supplies I am back to another purge and wondering just where am I going with this craft. I spent yesterday making cards for a friend for Christmas. Actually simple Amuse Christmas ones that I had the huge honor of attending a class with Julie Ebersole (a truly great person in my opinion). I totally enjoyed making these cards and redid them with what I had and also made them larger.

So ladies after my rambling what is your style or how do you reconcile to find your style. Or do you just make your cards and smile?

Lorri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hhmmm i have often wondered this too - i don't really have a style. i do what i am in the mood for. sometimes i think i just get bored easily and that's why i don't stick to one thing. mostly i don't worry about it. tho i sometimes think it might be why i don't have as many blog readers as i would like to. i can't pick one style and stick to it. on the other hand i know lots who DO and tho their card are gorgeous i get bored of that after awhile too! i just tell people i have multiple crafting personality disorder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,088 Likes on 833 Posts

I don't think I have a style that is totally mine - I just have fun .
Doing the different challenges helps me explore ideas other than what I would normally do. If you enjoy making cards, then that's the most important thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Because I am queen of procrastination (and a poor speller) my style seems to be hurried and uncertain. The cards I "design" myself never seem to look as good on paper as they do in my mind/dreams. I've been making cards for a long time. My heart's desire is to spend more time stamping and coloring and much less time stewing about it.
I have many stamps that are several years old and have never seen ink! This is so wasteful!
I WANT my style to be whimsical and happy.
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

i just go with what feels right for the card i'm making...i go with what pops into my head when i look at the stamp i want to use or the person/occasion the card is for (or sometimes the mood i'm in)...i do tend to be CAS or modern rather than vintage or fussy (i look at how my home is decorated by what appeals to me and know this is my style)...just go with the flow...you can experiment and bury the failures...or shred as i do...lol...recycle what ya can right...and i love to CASE...adapting what i have when necessary or trying a new technique...hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have no style. I used to try to fit into a category but gave up on that.

Here are three of my cards that have been cased the most. I don't think they fall under any particular style. It's more fun to make what you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Making cards-dress-side-step.jpg   Making cards-female-grad.jpg   Making cards-singing_reindeer_by_jactop.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I personally call it "MOJO". Sometimes I lose my mojo, and don't stamp for a little while. Most of the time it's because my room is unorganized and I need to work on it. But in making cards, it depends.... you can make a card for so many reasons. That is why we, as stampers, need EVERYTHING. Because you never know what you are going to make, i.e. a birthday card, Christmas card, Sympathy card, etc...

As for styles... I am like most, I really don't have a "style". I like to make a variety of cards. One of the things that I love is using the "sketches" or "templates". SCS has a great place here: What is a Sketch Challenge and Master Thread by SCSketches at Splitcoaststampers which has hundreds of templates. This way my cards don't always "look" the same.

I do have a tendency to always purchase "flowers/nature" type of stamps, but have been working on that and trying to purchase more fun and whimsical stamps.

You will find what works... just don't give up. Your mojo will come back to ya!

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I have found over the past five years of card making that I love botanicals, only love a limited number of colors and color combos, and my style really is CAS.

That said I case almost ALL my cards.....and I'm VERY content with doing so and I'm VERY thankful for all the wonderful inspiration here. I've made a handful of my own designs but I really have no desire to design from scratch.

Those of us who case cards usually say they turn out to be quite different since we have different stamps, ribbon, brads, etc.

You sound like you do exactly what I do and many of us do! Don't feel bad...just enjoy creating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #9  

I must admit I'm a caser too. I find though it gives me inspiration to go a bit further with my cards. I never layered in the beginning ( 10 years now) nor did I distress anything. It was a learning process to find out that both these techniques add dimension and interest to the card. I have received more inspiration from SCS than any other website. I've been finding lately that I love making boxes. Especially variations on the Fancy Favor box from SU, and you can fill them with goodies. The embellishments that are available now just make my head spin and I just love it. Thanks to all of you that have made my passion something I truly have fun doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I tend more toward the arty side of stamping and cardmaking, even in my scrapbooking. It gives me some freedom to develop a bit of my own style. But I will look at the gallery page every morning, bookmark any card that jumps out at me and have a shot at making it, but often I will experiment with the style and techniques more than reproduce the card itself.

I think you need to sit down and ask yourself if you could make one card totally from scratch with any techniques you like.

I love watching good cardmakers, and people like Tim Holz do their videos, and I think, oh yeah, I could do that, and come up with something using the same techniques and supplies, just different colours and theme.

Relax and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Lorri! *waving*
For many years I cased and only cased and I didn't THINK I had my own style. I always changed papers and stamps and added my own little touches so in the end they looked like *me* but I just never saw it. Looking back, all of my cards are MY style even as they progressed from "cased" cards to my own and as you venture into creating your cards from scratch you will recognize what that style is and be proud!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

{{{{Lorri}}}} You are very kind, Lorri. Thank you.

Initially, I thought it would be cool to develop an identifiable "signature style".

I don't know that I ever have, tho, to be honest. And, at this stage of the game, I'm OK if I don't, because then I'm not boxing myself into any one particular thing. Seriously, I just wanna have a good time with what I'm doing, whatever it may be. LOL!

I think above all else, whether you're coming up with something entirely on your own, or CASEing something you saw and liked, the important thing is that you are enjoying yourself, without feeling pressured by yourself, of having to "mold" what you're doing to anything specific or definable.

If you like it, it's all good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
...I think above all else, whether you're coming up with something entirely on your own, or CASEing something you saw and liked, the important thing is that you are enjoying yourself, without feeling pressured by yourself, of having to "mold" what you're doing to anything specific or definable.

If you like it, it's all good!
Julie, you are a genius. And absolutely right. Even with my very CAS style, I love experimenting and playing around with different things.

Oh, and I can usually spot a Julie card a mile away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks ladies for the supplies. I was having a down time today and visited with a card friend and now reading these responses I feel like I just need to make what I make and not have to be frustrated when others do so much more. That is just not me.

Jaci your singing reindeer card is so cute. I have a download of one I saw in a store and we took a picture. I have been thinking about making him for one year for myself to give out. He is so funny and cute.

Thank you again.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I've been stamping/cardmaking for 10 years now. I've definitely gone through lots of purges (with lots of wasted money along the way) as I figured out what did and didn't work for me. I've tried different styles of cards, with different products and types of stamps; some of them just felt forced - just not "me." I think it's all just a process, and eventually we start to find the styles and products that make us happy. For me, CAS (clean and simple), graphic/modern, or modern with a hint of elegance are what I enjoy. I have the hardest time making cards with lots of layers and embellishments, although I love seeing other people's intricate cards. It's all about what makes YOU happy, regardless of what may be popular or what the latest trend may be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

My style is mostly CAS. Don't like the idea of having my cards clattered with embellishments. Firstly, very expensive. Secondly, makes the card heavy and so add on to postal cost. Thirdly, 3D embellishments tend to get squashed in the process of transit so why waste.

Having said that, there are times when I feel that the card I made just didn't turn out the way I expected. I don't even like some of them but others seem to think they are nice :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

I do not have a style, I too do what I am in the mood for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

I too tried to emulate other's work when I first got started. I was all over the place with styles of stamps, techniques and accessories. I always struggled with the artsy/collage-y/vintage-y look. I think because I'm too left-brained to let things be organically placed on a project. And too many embellishments just looked messy on my projects. I finally figured out that what I enjoyed making most was CAS or pretty close to it. Things that don't have a lot of fussy techniques or tons of layers or embellishments. I realized that I could enjoy looking at those types of projects that others have made, but I don't have to mimic them.

I think if you look at the cards you have enjoyed making most and figure out what about them you liked - the style, the simplicity, the embellishments, etc - and try making a few more like that. See if you have fun doing that style and, if so, stick with it. Remember, this is a hobby, it should be fun. If you're stressing about doing it, you're not doing what you love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V.View Post
Hi Ladies,

I would really appreciate your opinions on this. I have been carding making for over 7 years and a scrapbooker before that. I have always loved crafting. I have seen many cards I liked and quickly jumped on the wagon and bought and then realized that I did not like it as much. This includes many types of stamps and embellishments. I usually see a card and then CASE it. To this day I still don't think I have my style. I have made a couple of cards totally on my own and when I say a couple I mean that. So now after collecting and reselling supplies I am back to another purge and wondering just where am I going with this craft. I spent yesterday making cards for a friend for Christmas. Actually simple Amuse Christmas ones that I had the huge honor of attending a class with Julie Ebersole (a truly great person in my opinion). I totally enjoyed making these cards and redid them with what I had and also made them larger.

So ladies after my rambling what is your style or how do you reconcile to find your style. Or do you just make your cards and smile?

Lorri
Lorri, I have been stamping for over 18 years. I am addicted to embossing with permanent ink--everything I stamp, gets a dash of embossing powder and heat (I know this about myself) <--haha...But the ONE VERY IMPORTANT thing I do BEFORE I buy any stamp....Is ask myself these questions:

1) Can I use this stamp in a variety of ways?
2) Will this stamp go with other stamps I already own (style/size/etc)
3) Can I layer this stamp for diversity?
4) Do I already own this stamp--with a slight design difference by a different company? (A lot of dup's out there--and come back styles from 18 years ago!)
5) When I buy a stamp--I think of the design of the card on the spot--get paper, embellies, all your doodads for this stamp--and design it right away.
6) Finally, how much does this stamp cost and do I have a coupon to get it 50% off! (retail stores)

Hope this helps--it's my "mental check" when the emotional shopping urge hits me--but, interesting enough I must own over 1000 stamps--I have never bought a duplicate stamp yet!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I seem to have a style as my friends can always pick out my cards in a group but I don't know what the style is. I have a hard time CASEing a card. I see cards and like the idea but rarely duplicate the card itself. But I have friends that CASE most of their cards and they love having ready made ideas.

I don't know it it's a matter of picking a style versus finding what gives you the most pleasure. I like playing with mediums (paints, inks, metal, mists, etc.) and that is what will direct me towards a design. I give myself challenges to try to use an existing product in a new way (sometimes good results and sometimes the trash bin is full) or to use something I haven't used in a long time.

When making a purchase I have to make myself not buy something because it's cool - I have to decide on how I can use it and how often will I use it. I did a major purge and I don't want to repeat the same mistakes. Now I buy what I know I'll use and I guess it goes toward "style" because you will find very few "cutesy" things. In the end I think I just make what makes me smile.

You are right that Julie rocks - she is still my favorite instructor and love her blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's what I've found---I have been stamping for 3 years now. When buying stamps I buy what I like! I too like different "styles!" I like the taylored look of layering--(like SU cards) but, I also like some artsy type of cards--collage. You can't tell from my gallery here as I post elsewhere mostly--Paper Craft Planet. Anyway, I also try to accomodate those for whom I am making cards--- our son is into Snoopy. Which doesn't draw me in, but I do them for him! And he likes the interactive cards--which I DO like. But, from posting alot--I have had OTHERS tell me what my style is!!!! Because I didn't know!!!!!! They have told me my style is VINTAGE! Now, when I think about it----yep, I agree eventhough, I still enjoy a variety of styles!!!!!! Vintage is what makes my heart go pitter-pat!!!!!! As I've ALWAYS LOVED Old things!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think I have a style either though like stamphappy1650 said, others have said they can spot my cards or sometimes see one that reminds them of mine. . . I don't know what they're talking about, LOL!!

Although I've purged many times in the last couple of years, I think I'm settled down now. The only way I'll eliminate anything now is if i need the space. I know I like all of the stamps and paper I have.

My very first order, with SU, I purchased Earth Elements colors and Touch of Nature (among others, of course). Although I will experiment here and there for variety, I know that if I stick with earthy tones (w/ neutrals and a few richer brighter shades for contrast) and nature themes, I'll never be disappointed. But there are days that whimsy just takes over, too!

I think I've CASEd a couple of times and done as many sketch challenges - other than that, I just go where it takes me.

I guess the bottom line is that I may never find my style but then I'm not looking for it ~ I just hope each card has some!

You really were on target, Lorri, when you said "I totally enjoyed making these cards." That's all there is to it ~ simply Enjoy :^) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I didn't think I had a style until someone said I did. Well that threw me and I had to change things up. I don't want to have a style. I want to be diverse. SO I started looking at galleries, blogs etc.CASEing some and getting different ideas and I don't think people could pick my cards out anymore, I try to change it up. Flowery and pastels on one and manly on another, lots of layers and one layer. Etc. It makes it more fun and challenging to try to fool people. IMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

I do like to make backgrounds, try techniques, or make theme cards. However, I do make cards that contain neither - either to challenge myself or because of the specific person a card is being custom made for.

I don't buy a new stamp or tool unless I get 'flash' of what I could do with it. Now I don't buy a lot of new stamps unless they are versitle or fill in a gap with what I have now.

Make whatever feels good to you. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Hmm, I have pondered this very question in the last little while. When I first started making cards, I was like a kid in a candy store and wanted to buy and try everything - it was almost information overload, but now I guess I am far more selective before I purchase anything - that has come down to experience of what sits in my craft room gathering dust. Sometimes I can love a particular style, but when I try it, I find that it doesn't necessarily float my boat - yet I will still LOVE that style of card by other cardmakers. Does that make sense?? :confused: I am still finding my feet, but I do know I LOVE to emboss with my CB and colour with pencils and OMS - and I adore the CAS style - yet I have also been trying my hand at Vintage Christmas cards and it's been an exciting (and very challenging) time - and that style has really grown on me and made me think outside the square, instead of my cards being too "samey". I have learnt so much from trying something different - and it keeps my mojo sparked. Lately, I have been trying to make little gift bags which I have never done before and it's been fantastic.

So I don't think you could put me in a box and label me with anything (other than "should be vacuuming but a card got in the way"! LOL).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, I agree with JoBear2!!!!
It's ALWAYS FUN to try new techniques and loving all the different styles out there, but it does come down to WHAT MAKES YOUR HEART SING!!!! And I too "should be vaccuming but a card got in the way!" ACTUALLY, several cards today!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

I always wondered what my style was, or if I even had one as I thought I was all over the board in style. I love trying new techniques (I have every issue of "The Technique Junkie" Newsletter.) I do CASE, but I have discovered those things I case are the things that are my style. I love looking at the artsy stuff, but it's not me. I'm awed by CAS, but when I do it, there always seems to be something missing on my card. Like others of you, my stamping friends can pick out my work right away. Also, when they see a card done by someone else, they say, "Oh, that's a "Jeanne card." I have asked how they would describe my style and it fits into no category I've heard--Clean and elegant. I know for sure I'm not whimsical or cutsie, so maybe they are right. I will think on this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

I only started stamping this year but have bought many, many sets. I have a two and a half year old and a 1 year old and figure that many of my stamps will also be used by the kids in the future when they do crafty things. I am also a teacher and although I'm a SAHM at the moment I know many of my stamps will come in useful when I'm back teaching as well. I think that helps to justify the cost. I do supervised stamping with my 2.5 year old son now, which he seems to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Default Style

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V.View Post
Hi Ladies,

Lorri
Hi, just had to reply - I gave up trying to use my own ideas to make cards - they never turned out worth looking at, so now I just case - but I still get great enjoyment out of seeing the finished product.

I'm about to start a purge too - I hardly use my stamps anymore - there's always something newer and nice out there. I've gone to looking at and buying more digis (though you do have to do a lot of colouring in).

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was DON'T GIVE UP! In truth you do have a style - just like I do and everyone else does - - in the cards you choose to case, be they frilly or plain and in the colours that appeal to you.

Valda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really like froo froo and cute type cards, lots of patterned paper, ribbon, flowers, that is my preference, but I enjoy all styles and have occasionally tried vintage, distressed and even some simple designs. That is why I love blog land, it really inspires me to try so many different types of things that I otherwise would never have known existed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

First of all, SO jealous you got to take a "JULIE" class!! How super fun is she!?!

I was just thinking of this the other day. I keep trying new styles, but it always ends up CAS. I like to try new techniques and supplies, but my cards/scrap pages always end up rather CAS. I am trying to just go with the flow, but it can be tough sometimes.
A Muse Studio Consultant #1021
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started stamping in 2002. My style has change several times, I don't really know at this point if I have a style.

I do know though that I like cute images that require coloring, and I don't like solid images (like how they look, just don't enjoy using them).
Most of the times my cards have lots of layers, but I also enjoy making a CAS card with the cute images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I don't think I have one style. I mostly make cards and boxes, and how I decorate them depends on my mood.
Sometimes I'm into bright colors, other times white and pale pink. For me, that's the fun of it :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I don't think I really have a style of my own. I case alot of cards and use sketches most of the time. Sometimes there might be just one thing I like in somebody elses card, use that idea and take it from there. Just depends on my mood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

I think finding your style also depends on WHAT DO YOU ALWAYS go back to???? WHAT TYPE of card are you the best at???? WHAT HAVE OTHERS noticed about your work????WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY????? THAT question should probably be #1!!!! I DO think everyone has a style---AND some people have MORE THAN ONE!!!! I've been told I have a Vintage style! That is what makes me happy... BUT, I also like to MIX IT UP!! Try new things!!! AND I think that's a good thing, that you can do more than one style!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Maybe you just enjoy the construction part of cardmaking more than the design. There's nothing wrong with that! My mom designs adorable cards, but what she enjoys is the construction, so she usually opts to case rather than design her own stuff. She loves to sit and make 10-20 of the same card. (She is in sales and sends a lot of cards to clients.)

I used to enjoy the construction part more, but at some point I flipped and now I prefer designing.

Just do whatever you like and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Colour is my thing, I get my insperation from other peoples cards, challenges, bill boards, adds on the TV, clothing, linen, crockery, magazines but most of all from nature (there are some weired colour combos in nature if you really look) I like the quirky solong as it isn't crass.
I use copic markers as often as I can and entre a different zone when I'm doing it.
I'm not keen on vintage and definitly not a grunge girl but having said that I have been know to do the odd one or two that have been Tim Holtz inspirered so I guess it's what ever takes my fancy at the time.
Cheers

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes