Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had to cut my fun money budget in half. It wasn't a lot to begin with. I've had a lot of unexpected medical expenses. So I only purchase what I need. Actually, that's how I've always bought. We get together once a month for a workshop so I save my money for that. but I do sell my cards, so I use that money for other supply items.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

i have been unable to work for several years and have an attitude about doctors so never filed for disability.this coming july i get to RETIRE and am looking forward to that check.we are planning to pay our house off by making 2 payments each month but i will still have enough that i can actually spend some.hopefully by then my disaster craft room will be straight.i had made great progress then our daughter moved back in so i now have no floor again in the craft room
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

I've definitely cut back on paper, I am trying to use what I have. I have crazy amounts of paper and I just kept buying more!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

About a year ago I knew it was time to somewhat define my stamping style. I felt like I was all over the place. So this mentality is a huge help. And I buy stamps that I know I will be "productive" with....not just because they are so adorable!! I'm sure everyone knows what I mean, LOL.

Secondly, I have stopped buying designer series paper...I have enough. And I buy cardstock only when I run out. Which lately has been frequently. I don't buy embellishments, CB Embossing Folders, Spellbinders, Cricut Cartridges....I have enough to last me a long time.

But this time of year is hard because I love all the Christmas Stamps!! Huge Christmas Card maker and I've been better this year then in the past but I could be better.

So all in all I think I have made a huge improvement! But always with room to improve.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm an su demo and that helps me keep things in check..prior to that I would go buy alot of dsp, embellishments, etc...I have over 100 copics i've never used, etc..

Now I just basically replenish what I need in cardstock, adhesive etc....I earn my stamp sets with su so there is not much more I need except the energy to play with it all..

Oh also living in the boonies help with shopping it almost has to be done online...hate to pay shipping for one or 2 items so I feel I just don't need them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #46  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
I am on a bit of a spending freeze myself. I have so much stuff - patterned paper especially. I am only buying those things that I have to have like adhesives and the occasional sheet of patterned paper. Not buying anymore big pads or collections.
I have been on a spendng freeze for almost a year now. I quit buying everything, I figure I have so much that if I don't have the exact thing then I change it up. But I truly cannot wait for my "ship" to come in and then look out. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
I haven't really made the effort to not buy, I just haven't been buying. I haven't really been in the mood for being in my room. We have been busy with sports and kid stuff, plus other family issues. I didn't even make Halloween cards....
This is me too. I did make a sympathy card recently, but went down, did that and came back up. I figure when it gets cold and I don't want to be outside as much, I'll be back down there. About all I've bought lately was a minimum to meet my club obligation - and that was mostly paper and an EF that I liked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

I think a thread like this is useful because it shows that we are not alone in finding we need to cut back. Not just on hobbies , but on a lot of things we used to buy.
Many of us have plenty of supplies and tools to use plus our money just doesn't buy as much as it did 5-10 years ago.
I got some old SU catalogs. A SU 1 & 1/4" circle punch was $10.95 in 2004 and now it is $15.95. It went up 46% in 6 years along with a lot of other things. Few if any people saw their wages go up 46% in 6 years . So we must cut back to make ends meet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #49  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I know HOW...I just don't adhere to it very well:-) My mom is a great saver but she doesn't have any hobbies AT ALL or have things that she likes to spend money on...so we don't really understand each other there:-) I'm lucky too, to have a good job and my DH has a really good job too. And I still save, just not as much as say my mom would:-) And I don't really have much debt besides our mortgage and probably a car payment in the works soon...I've about driven the wheels off of mine! That might make me tighten up a bit No credit card debt...if I can't pay for it I don't buy it (and if I do use cards they are paid off in full when the bill comes). Hopefully something great comes up for your hubby, I'll keep you in my prayers!!! I'm looking for a new job and it definitely sucks, job hunting that is!

And now I'm off to the mall....LOL! Really though it's freezing here and I need a scarf and new gloves so I do NEED them (they tend to not keep your hands very warm when your fingers stick through the tips)!!!!!!
I'm the same, I know how to budget, and how to save. I also don't feel bad when I spend. I know how much I have available and how much I can spend on stamps or crafts. Plus I do love a good sale!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink Money tight

I stopped buying lots and lots of designer paper..I have so much..but when I see some, I go crazy but walk by and not spend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually, we are TRYING to do the reverse. While still stashing away in our savings each month, we try to spend as usual because we believe it is the best way to restore the economy. If anything, we buy a little more than we might have. I have just filtered some (ok, a lot) of that more into stamping companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I think a thread like this is useful because it shows that we are not alone in finding we need to cut back. Not just on hobbies , but on a lot of things we used to buy.
Many of us have plenty of supplies and tools to use plus our money just doesn't buy as much as it did 5-10 years ago.
My good friend owns a scrapbook store and we talk about this a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes