Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #41  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
I don't understand why Canadian people are complaining that cardstock is going up in price, when it's going up in the US AS WELL. And everything else is same price or lower, so again, why the complaints? You're getting what you want.

I don't think it's simply a matter of the upcoming cardstock price increase (since it's increasing for everyone) but a matter of having been paying much higher across the board prices for the same products that are coming from the same warehouse in Utah simply because they're Canadians, even when their currency is equal to or worth more than the US dollar. And my impression of the "same price or lower" is in comparison to the current Canadian prices, which are still higher than what those in the States are paying.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

I don't understand why Canadian people are complaining that cardstock is going up in price, when it's going up in the US AS WELL. And everything else is same price or lower, so again, why the complaints? You're getting what you want.
If we were getting what we want we would be charged fair prices. That's the complaint. We all understand price increases and the fact that the price of cardstock is going up isn't the issue. The problem is that the Canadian pricing structure for SU products was already over inflated above market value especially with the CDN$ near (or at/above) par - and has been for quite a while now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #43  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

We aren't getting what we want at all. Our prices average 30% more than your American prices. Our dollar is almost at par with yours and has gone above yours at times lately. That's what we are unhappy about. My demo said that the wheels have gone up, the punches have gone up, looked to her like markers have gone up when she averaged out the price per marker in the preview sets she can order compared with what the prices were. I'm sure that is the same in the US. THAT isn't what the complaint is.... the complaint is that we are payin 30% more across the board than people in the US are and our dollar is virtually equal or above yours all the time now. I would LOVE to be able to take my chances on the exchange rate and be willing to pay duty if I have to. I'd still come out ahead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #44  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Check out the differences in the current Canadian Catty online compared to the US one - and you'll soon see what our complaint is about. It's about the much much higher prices in Canada for the same items that has been going on for years despite our very strong dollar - our dollar at par/ over par for some time now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

When the prices are listed in the Canadian catalogue do you have to add taxes to that like the US customers do?
Those taxes can make up a bit of the difference if you factor them into the price as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
When the prices are listed in the Canadian catalogue do you have to add taxes to that like the US customers do?
Those taxes can make up a bit of the difference if you factor them into the price as well.
Yes, you have to add the GST - 5% plus your provincial tax. In my province (and most provinces) the tax adds up to 13% AND we also pay the same 10% shipping that everyone else pays. (and we pay tax on the shipping too I believe...I forget!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

ohh okay - bloody hell that must be hard to keep thinking about.

In Australia we have a 10% GST but it must be included in listed prices unless it is stated "does not include GST". There are very few areas that they even bother doing it that way. Australians often have the same complaint but at least I can make myself feel a little better when you compare the prices that we don't have to add anything (apart from the 5% postage).
I was hoping for the Canadian's sake that they were in a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 05:39 AM   #48  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
ohh okay - bloody hell that must be hard to keep thinking about.

In Australia we have a 10% GST but it must be included in listed prices unless it is stated "does not include GST". There are very few areas that they even bother doing it that way. Australians often have the same complaint but at least I can make myself feel a little better when you compare the prices that we don't have to add anything (apart from the 5% postage).
I was hoping for the Canadian's sake that they were in a similar situation.
Nope. Our govt. wanted to keep the taxes we pay 'out in the open'. I'm not sure how that makes me feel better! ;)

Our dollar has been falling a bit lately (think we're around .94 US), so no longer at par ... but still close.

I think our new catalogue brings us a bit closer ... but not close enough for many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Another thread showed a sneak peek of the new catty, and the US price for a new punch was $16.95, so I think that SU increased the price of these in the US (up from 15.95)

can anyone tell me how much they are for us?

The COGs punch was $24.95 (CAD) ( 17.95 in the US mini)

The XL scallop circle punch in the sneak peek is 16.95 US - It is 2 and 3/8 inch punch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #50  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the large punches are now classed as 'xtra large' - scallop oval, scallop circle - these are a dollar more.
The rest - same price.
22.95 for large, 23.95 for xlarge, and the COGS (double) is 24.95
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

GO look at the Canadian prices and look at the exchange rate - then come back here and post as to why you think the Canadian stampers are upset.
They have EVERY RIGHT to be!

The upcharge is outrageous for them. I actually feel really sad that SU does this to them and SU really needs to take a good look at it instead of charging about 30% MORE when our dollars are just about even and have been.

I work for a company and we ship to Canada and there is NO reason for that much more of an upcharge. BTW - our product catties are also good for a long long time just like SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #52  
Crimping Master

I know it won't matter to SU, I'm just one woman, but they will be getting fewer of my dollars. I'd rather support my lss who doesn't gouge me.

I'll give you an example, SU is now carrying Smooch Spritz - the Cdn price (before s&h and taxes) is 6.95. My lss sells the EXACT same product for $5 plus tax. So in essence SU is gouging me as a Cdn customer - their price to compare with the lss is 6.95 plus 10% (the s&h) = 7.65...the lss again is $5 that's a difference of $2.65 or which works out to 53% more than the lss charges me. Now tell me, why would I want to order this from Stampin Up? Sadly I can give you other examples as well.

I don't mean any ill will toward SU. I like some of their products. I've even thought of becoming a Hobby Demo, but I would still be paying more than fair market value for their products even after the demo 20% discount.

Also, I work in accounting and can attest to the fact that the cost of doing business in Canada does not justify the huge price difference between Canada and the US by SU.

If SU really cared about this, they would respond, but they never do. They are just banking on the fact that many of us are addicted to their catalogs and clubs and that many of us are ignorant of the price differences or even the comparison to the lss.

Sadly I feel like they are taking advantage of the comparatively strong Canadian economy to make up for lost US profits by charging a higher margin on the same products sold in the Canadian market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

I am totally with you Les' Girl. I am through with the gouging. Will support my local scrapbook stores and the internet is a great source as well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

I will second that barb. Thank you Les' Girl for putting it so well. I too like Stampin Up but somehow can not anymore justify paying those prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Sadly I feel like they are taking advantage of the comparatively strong Canadian economy to make up for lost US profits by charging a higher margin on the same products sold in the Canadian market.
And sadly so many people have no grasp of international business or its associated costs. As well as the practical and standardized business practice of making a division self supporting, especially when protectionism economic practices of any country make legally operationing businesses incur costs far outreaching just the exchange rate.

The exchange rate blather is cited constantly. It is really a shame that saying something over and over makes it "true." Now the new line is that Canada is propping up America economically. Say it and say it. Make it true, I dare you. I would love to find someone who earns 10% of my household that can keep me afloat when I hit hard times. Because, in the cited example, that is what it amounts to is being said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23View Post
And sadly so many people have no grasp of international business or its associated costs. As well as the practical and standardized business practice of making a division self supporting, especially when protectionism economic practices of any country make legally operationing businesses incur costs far outreaching just the exchange rate.

The exchange rate blather is cited constantly. It is really a shame that saying something over and over makes it "true." Now the new line is that Canada is propping up America economically. Say it and say it. Make it true, I dare you. I would love to find someone who earns 10% of my household that can keep me afloat when I hit hard times. Because, in the cited example, that is what it amounts to is being said.

UM.... WOW!!!! verbal. ouch.
Instead of coming in this thread and shouting off like that - think how it would be if you lived in Canada and had to pay that much more.

Actually MANY HAVE a GREAT grasp of international business or its associated costs.
Ya know I would LOVE to see customers comments if the countries and prices were reversed. Then maybe alot of the US commenters would not think the Canadians are whining and complaining for nothing.

I do not think they are whining at all and they do have every right to be heard without some SU cheerleader shooting them down and making it sound like nothing and its all OK and shame on them for saying or even thinking something negative about SU.

NOTE::: I am in the US but I personally think they have every right to be bothered by the much higher prices they have to pay as the upcharge is bogus.

Last edited by meluvstampin; 06-12-2010 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #57  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I would just like to say that in your post you have done something that you have accused many on this thread of doing - you have made a generalization (presented it as a truth) and assumed that by doing that we would accept it as true. You have no facts at all in your post. Yes, I do know that the gross domestic product of Canada is smaller than the US (so is our population)- that does not explain or justify gouging Cdn prices. As I alluded to in my previous post, there are other American companies that must not be doing likewise because I can get products at the lss that SU offers for more than 50% less than SU is charging (and I have evidence to support this fact - I'm not just saying it to make it so;)

I'm not saying that SU is able to completely replace the decrease in US sales with inflated margins in the Canadian market, but it could help and may be one motivating factor in their decision on Cdn pricing. Also - I don't think any of us are looking for Cdn prices to be on par with the US prices even though our dollar basically it - we understand there are costs of doing business to cover, but we are saying those costs aren't 35-60% of the product price.

And as I said in my original post, I do know what it costs to do business in Canada, I'm an accountant working for a large international accounting firm and I work with clients who set up cross border operations both in terms of accounting, tax planning and business advise. So I'm not just saying that I know the cost of doing business doesn't justify the price difference, I know it to be true.

I'm sorry that you don't share my opinions, but they remain my opinions and the opinions of many on here. And we aren't just saying them over and over in the hope that by repeating them that will make it true. In my previous post I compared what SU does with a solid example from my lss on a product they purchase from the US - same as SU does - and my lss has Canadian overhead - they have import costs etc. to get the product across the border, they have overhead in terms of their store, their staff, benefits, etc. they have to pay Cdn corporate taxes etc.

I could provide you with several more examples, but I'm not going to belabor this point. As many Canadian customers have said on here, what SU has done with Canadian pricing versus the US is not justified by the current exchange rate nor the cost of doing business in Canada. It's a business choice they have made for whatever reason. They are aware that many of us feel this way and have never solidly explained it or addressed the issue. That is their choice. My choice is buy less product (or possibly none at all) from them until they address this issue. Your choice can be tell off the Canadian customer, but in the long run that will not improve customer relations or sales for SU in Canada. If you are a SU demonstrator, I wish you well in your business.

...and thanks Mel for your post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #58  
Swapper of the Month - February 2014

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
GO look at the Canadian prices and look at the exchange rate - then come back here and post as to why you think the Canadian stampers are upset.
They have EVERY RIGHT to be!

The upcharge is outrageous for them. I actually feel really sad that SU does this to them and SU really needs to take a good look at it instead of charging about 30% MORE when our dollars are just about even and have been.

I work for a company and we ship to Canada and there is NO reason for that much more of an upcharge. BTW - our product catties are also good for a long long time just like SU.

From the bottom of my heart : *THANK YOU!!!*
You said it all way better than I could have....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #59  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_GDP_(PPP)
Not sure what you mean. Also - your link to wiki leads to a non entry in wiki.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

The generalization was my point. The exchange rate arguement that it should be the sole cost factor in the price difference was the generalization that others were making and that obviously the higher prices had another motive. Thank you for pointing that out. I am completely sincere.

I do know I am entitlled to my opinion, just like the others here claiming something they "feel" not know. I posted that particular link because the Gross National Product figure is not the one most generally accepted nowadays. The above link contained data of a similar economic indicators, ones that might be more accepted in some places than others.

The world is flat.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

so... how about them Dodgers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #62  
Swapper of the Month - February 2014

Exclamation

I received this note,yesterday, from one of the many SU! demos I know here in my valley:

"....I made a few price comparisons between the current catalogue and the new & thought I'd let you know. For the most part, prices are going DOWN! Stamp sets currently priced at $57.95 will be $53.95; $35.95 will be $32.95, $11.95 will be $10.95. Classic Ink Pads will go down from $7.95 to $7.25, markers will remain the same price. Craft ink pads will no longer be available in the full size, only in Stampin' Spots, but the price for these is going down from $34.95 to $26.95, and Classic Spots will go from $29.95 to $24.95. Regular Designer Series Papers will go from $13.25 to $12.50. Dies are remaining the same price. The only thing that is really going UP is cardstock, and the packages are being "reconfigured". For example: 8.5 x 11 smooth c/s is currently $7.25 for 24 sheets which works out to $37 cents per sheet (Including s/h & tax). In the new catalogue it will cost $8.50 for 20 sheets or 44 cents per sheet. 12 x 12 is going from $9.95 for 20 sheets (61 cents per sheet) to $12.25 for 20 sheets or 75 cents per sheet...still a good price, but significantly more......."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #63  
Kookie Creator

O.k., I'm going to add my 2 cents worth: Canadians should be getting a fair shake from SU, our dollar is pretty much at par. Obviously, they are not. ( just do a comparison between canadian cat. and the american one) I belong to a club in my area and am seriously thinking of bailing out due to price defferences. Btw, I'm not the only one... My lss has much better pricing and I will going there much more than usual. Thems the breaks: money talks and you know what walks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #64  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
so... how about them Dodgers?
LOL-- usually I say, "so... how 'bout them Yankees?" when I want to change the subject.

By the way... I've always wanted to tell you, I love the name Chautona. What is the origin?

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I like the Dodgers ONLY because they're a good way to "Dodge" the subject. Otherwise, in my opinion, they became a nobody the day they left Brooklyn (which I believe was well before my time.)

Chautona... hmmmm well, so I don't hijack this thread with the convoluted origins of my name, I'll refer you to this blog post and beg you to forgive the travel...

http://awonderfullife.wordpress.com/...-is-in-a-name/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #66  
Compulsive Stamper

Chautona: Thanks for that. Interesting name story. I've been pronouncing it wrong in my head-- like the word "chow" only with a soft "sh" sound instead of a hard "ch", then tone-a. I think it's pretty both ways, hehe.

Everyone else: um, yeah, sorry for this mini thread hijack. Let me just say I think it's rotten that SU's Canadian prices are so much higher than ours in the States. I about had a heart attack when I read $57.95 for a stamp set! One!! Maybe there is a legitimate business reason for the higher prices even with the near-even exchange rate, and maybe SU is just doing it because they can get away with it. I don't know, so I cannot judge, but ooooh I feel your pain.

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes