Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overwhelmed with choices

I think I have too much stuff. Not stamps or cardstock, you can NEVER have enough of those. But too many add-ons.

I have Stickles and Smooch; Perfect Pearls and Pearl Ex; brads and eyelets and snaps; buttons and ribbon and floss; flowers and stickers and rub-ons; dew drops and pearls and rhinestones; watercolor wonder crayons and chalks and metallic pastes; Copics and Prisma pencils and SU markers; a Cricut Expression and a Big Shot; embossing powders and UTEE and glitter. And the list goes on and on. Well.....you get the point, right?

I seem to get overwhelmed by it all and generally use stamps, ribbon, buttons and a few rhinestones here and there. And the rest sits.

So how do you all put what you have to work for you? Do you pick out one thing and find a a card to make using that technique? Or do you just go through everything when making a card to see what strikes your fancy? Which works better for you???

Thanks for the help!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I could have written this myself as it describes me to a "T". I'm interested to see the insight some may have! (and pull me out of this "rut")

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

usually do a card and see what I can use as embellishments.
i might put some stickles in a small area just to use them ;)
or each week put a goal to try to atleast use one thing.
This week, I wanted to use my fun flock that has just been sitting there, So i used it for my card today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 516 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm right there with you! I keep buying the new toys, and seem to seldom have time to play with 'em! Maybe we need to start a group to force ourselves to make things with what we already own!!! (I'm currently trying to restain myself from buying all the rest of the smooch inks, and the new Robin's Nest Dew Drops.) I got a monster order from Frugalities recently when they had 47% off, and a 15% off coupon you could use on the same order.
I'm relatively new to the Cuttlebug, too, so I find myself wanting more accessories for that, too.

Sometimes, all it takes is a button to inspire a card. I found one single button in a mixed bag that ended up being the inspiration for a card for a friend. And sometimes I just want to play with the toys I've bought, so I'll pull things out and make cards or just try techniques with 'em just for fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I organized my embellishments so that they are sorted by color and all color is in one place. It makes it much more likely that I'll remember that I have something and use it.

As for the other types of stuff -- I'll be selling off some of it this weekend (!) and then should have room to SEE what's left. I'm a much better stamper if I can see what I have and then think of ways to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I am exactly the same way x10. I have so many craft things that I don't even think to use.

I read a great tip and maybe someday I will let go of my weirdness about storing brads with brad, ribbons with ribbons and so on. The idea is more related to storage (but it really does seem like it would get us to USE or stuff). Store all of your things by color, that way lets say you need something pink for you card or scrap page, you go to the drawer bin or container with all the pink stuff... you may have thought you would use ribbon but after looking thru you may find something totally different to use. This could help change up our style too because I know for me I stick to my typical embellishments ribbons and a few other things. So like I said maybe one day I will give this idea a try, and actually USE what I buy! Lol!

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I organized my embellishments so that they are sorted by color and all color is in one place. It makes it much more likely that I'll remember that I have something and use it.

As for the other types of stuff -- I'll be selling off some of it this weekend (!) and then should have room to SEE what's left. I'm a much better stamper if I can see what I have and then think of ways to use it.
Hmmm.....interesting idea. Very hard for the engineer in me to embrace, but maybe if you come and help me sort it all.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Interesting idea... I will have to think about it for awhile. Would a shoebox size tub hold all the red stuff? Then another for all the blue?

Still thinking.......................
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Joan do you have pictures of the way you store your embellishments? I tried your link to your blog but it isnt working right now. TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I can related to the OP. So, what I have done is, every week I make a goal to use something different. Which basically means instead of taking an easy way out and use supplies that are already there on my table. I have to pick up one of the other supplies or tools and use them.

What I have done is created a document with items that have not used in a while - like Glimmer Mist or Shimmerz or just rite stamps or ranger paint dauber etc. Then I make it a point to use one of them in my card or scrapbook project.

But at the same time that has given me a insight of what I use most and what I do not or which product/tool I struggle with more...so I can stop buying or stocking them..or sell the tool.

This might not be of much help....but this is what I have been doing and has been enabling me to use other supplies/tools that I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Michelle Wooderson is a genious!! She will pull out supplies for the season and keep them out where she can see what she has and grab from there. Maybe that could help you!! Here are a couple of blog posts about it: http://michellewooderson.blogspot.co...n-station.html
http://michellewooderson.blogspot.co...spiration

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I store embellsihments by type and color if applicable.

Color items: Brads, buttons in small boxes from Harbor Freight and then the small boxes are stored in the larger boxes by color (pink/red, green/yellow, etc. and eyelets in SU! stack n store

Embellishements by category (music, insects, garden, stars/moon, babies, etc. I store these in the Harbor Freight boxes.

Flowers in glass cannisters from Big Lots.

Chipboard in photo boxes from Michaels.

I store my paints/powders in drawers all close to each other.

Some times I realize I haven't used an item like Twinkling H2Os so I'll make a card using that particular item but most often I make a card and then decide on what I would go best.

My stamp room is organized well for how I like design and everything is in sight in clear through containers and all are labeled. I like to "shop" in my room like shopping in a store. I look at the containers of treats and decide if I want ribbon, a button, or perhaps I flower.

I do get in ruts, but this year I've been using my treats, no more hoarding. It's been a lot of fun.

Storing all items by just color doesn't work for me. Although I do sort by color, I want all my similar items in the same place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I have yet to find a system that works for me. I did the color separation thing, which is great in theory, and even works for people, but not me. I was sorting through a bin I kept in plain sight a few days ago and found ten 2-gallon bags with everything sorted by color. Paper, stickers, etc. I'd forgotten I'd done it and hadn't even remembered it in two years, at least. Course now I get to play with all new stuff since I don't remember even having it. I guess getting old has its compensations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a very small area to store my stmaping stuff in. I use the plastic storage drawer containers. In each drawer I put ink, embossing jars and glitter, brads and eyelets, ribbon, stickles and stamps.

I know my storage might not be much help, But I just want to say you have a lot of neat stuff. Can I come over and stamp with you????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What I have been trying to do so that I use stuff I normally don't use but have on hand, is make up a little challenge for myself. I pull a couple things that I normally wouldn't use and then force myself to make a card with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I have a very small area to store my stmaping stuff in. I use the plastic storage drawer containers. In each drawer I put ink, embossing jars and glitter, brads and eyelets, ribbon, stickles and stamps.

I know my storage might not be much help, But I just want to say you have a lot of neat stuff. Can I come over and stamp with you????
Sure! It's a long flight from HI to Washington DC just to scrap, but come on over. I'd love to have the company.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link to the post where I explain how I store my embellishments and ribbon. there are pics!

http://paperlicious.typepad.com/pape...lishments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Here is a link to the post where I explain how I store my embellishments and ribbon. there are pics!

http://paperlicious.typepad.com/pape...lishments.html
Thanks for the link!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
Sure! It's a long flight from HI to Washington DC just to scrap, but come on over. I'd love to have the company.
:mrgreen::p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to feel the same way. Now, I store embellies by color in sterilite storage drawers. Ditto for all my dp, though it's in Cropper Hopper vertical storage. I purged tools I didn't use or that didn't fit my style, and now store most I kept in plain sight. For instance, my BIA is out, but all the O-wires are in storage drawers. After the purge, I became much more productive, and very little of what I have languishes unused. It's really worked for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I store embellsihments by type and color if applicable.

Color items: Brads, buttons in small boxes from Harbor Freight and then the small boxes are stored in the larger boxes by color (pink/red, green/yellow, etc. and eyelets in SU! stack n store

Embellishements by category (music, insects, garden, stars/moon, babies, etc. I store these in the Harbor Freight boxes.

Flowers in glass cannisters from Big Lots.

Chipboard in photo boxes from Michaels.

I store my paints/powders in drawers all close to each other.

Some times I realize I haven't used an item like Twinkling H2Os so I'll make a card using that particular item but most often I make a card and then decide on what I would go best.

My stamp room is organized well for how I like design and everything is in sight in clear through containers and all are labeled. I like to "shop" in my room like shopping in a store. I look at the containers of treats and decide if I want ribbon, a button, or perhaps I flower.

I do get in ruts, but this year I've been using my treats, no more hoarding. It's been a lot of fun.

Storing all items by just color doesn't work for me. Although I do sort by color, I want all my similar items in the same place.
Those boxes from Harbor Freight are fabulous! Is that online?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gina I believe you can only get these in the stores and not online :( Atleast thats what she wrote in her gallery pic. I am planning on going to Harbor Freight today to check them out myself!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 516 Likes on 286 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Those boxes from Harbor Freight are fabulous! Is that online?
They were just on sale for $3. I LOVE those boxes!!! They have 2 different ones currently, one has 24 little boxes inside, and the other has 12 rectangular boxes inside. Same size main container. They used to also have them with round containers inside, I bought those for my embossing powders, which I bought in bulk and came in baggies. I bought a bunch on sale this last time, so I could give them as secret sister gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Same here!!! I just bought 2 boxes for 2.99 each!!! WOOHOOO gotta love a sale!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMcAreeView Post
Michelle Wooderson is a genious!! She will pull out supplies for the season and keep them out where she can see what she has and grab from there. Maybe that could help you!! Here are a couple of blog posts about it: http://michellewooderson.blogspot.co...n-station.html
http://michellewooderson.blogspot.co...spiration.html

I haven't read all the posts here, but can I just tell you that that is one AWESOME blog! Had to favorite it and move on or I could of spent about 5 hours reading and looking at her beautiful projects and amazing ideas! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

i have trouble keeping track of all my goodies too!

one idea i had for when i redo my crop room {hopefully soon} was to start a jar that had ALL the different types of tools and embellies {like paints, inks, foam stamps, smooch, pencils, etc} so that when i sat down to work, i could draw a few out to use as ideas for that page or card.

i think we all reach for the same things over and over and FORGET we have LOTS of other "toys" to play with. i figured it was something i could do when i went through my stuff to organize it - just jot down tools and "generic" supplies i had, and i could add to it as i bought stuff.

i've also gotten in the habit of pulling out some of my old tools, embellies and supplies to take to crops, i find that i USE them if i have them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

hehehe, I love this topic, since I seem to spend more time organizing than crafting. I am continually working on organizing the supplies to serve me and my work style better.

I found over the years that I am more inspired by seeing supplies, so I try to keep everything (except papers) where I can see and grab them easily. I also use color as my primary sort.

The exception, my paper and card, is all in binders, sorted by color. (I like to keep paper protected, but I know exactly where every piece, including patterns, is.) I store from 6x6, to 12x12 like this, in d ring binders. I also have a drawer filing system to hold scraps sorted by color & size in their own envelope. In this drawer I also store my full sheet staples, like kraft, white, black, brown, red, and ivory.

Ribbons, buttons, tags, labels, large brads, alphas, are all sorted by color into see through jars of different sizes. The jars are grouped in color families in seperate areas where I can always see them. Small brads etc are seperated by color into those small see through pill box type holders that slip into a book type binder. One of those binders is filled with all the basics like silver, gold, antique pewter, white and black.

I sort all my pens and pencils by color and they stay on the top of my desk. "Special" pens like gold, white, silver etc go in their own section. I don't have a vast supply of ink pads. I store these in 3 drawers beneath my desk by my right hand so they are always easy to grab. What I have fits quite well into what I have labelled, the embossing drawer, the dye ink drawer, and the pigment ink drawer.

My basic powders are in seperate rubbermaid plastic containers, clear, gold, silver. All other powders are together in a see through plastic box. Alcohol inks, reinkers and stickles are all together in a divided case (Tim Holtz). I tend to just keep and use basics in all these things. All this coloring stuff, except the pads, pretty much stays around on my desk.

Oh, and a small supply of chalks and glitters are each in their own square see through case, then these are stored in a two tier see through caddy with lid. I don't like this much and would like a better way to store my chalks.

All other embellies and sticker type things I store in different sized pocket see through pages which go in standard binders. I have one just for Christmas. I'm not big on these, so they are mainly just alphas, sentiments and Christmas stuff. Easy to see when I am looking for something though.

Another thing I learned over the years, you don't need tons of everything, (even though it is fun to acquire). Get your basics covered and organized well, and take it from there. I use things a lot more than I did when I had to have every single color of ink, paper, powder, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

That is EXACTLY what I do! I started it more though because I have been papercrafting for a long time and found I kept wanting to buy the new in thing when I had so much already. I use a bead box for each color of embellishment. For example: I would have one bead box for all green buttons, brads, eyelets, ribbon, floss, flowers, paper clips and what not. That way, when I know I want GREEN, I go to that box and find something in the shade/size I want. I don't worry as much about if it is a button or a brad. Typically the overall look works either way. There are so many projects that I could use a button, brad, eyelet, or bloom on. So I go with what I have in that size and color.

Then I have plastic drawers that hold one color each. The drawer holds the bead box + all liquid like stuff. So the green drawer would have that bead box + green stamp pads, green alcohol inks, green stickles, green paint, green embossing powders, green flocking powder, green ...you get the idea.

This method helped me see what I I buy way too much of and what I could buy more of. So purple is my favorite and it turns out even though I don't use it as much on crafts, I own like everything that is made that is purple. Purple had to have a thicker drawer. I also tend to prefer brown for a neutral so I have two drawers for brown/tan and cannot fill half a drawer with black embellishments. SOOoo...now I know if I HAVE to buy something, it really should be in black and NO more purple. lol.

So now when I am stamping, I just decided on the colors I want to use. Then I pick the product based on what I have in that color. Occasionally, I will join a challenge or something that requires a certain technique. Then I will look through my colors and see what I have in that product and I am then limited to only those colors.

I also have one drawer for random multi colored stuff. Like my chalks that I cannot exactly separate out. These seem to be used less in my current way of organizing....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Sometimes, instead of starting with an image I want to stamp, I start with a product I want to use, and choose the image and style of card based on that. Helps use up stuff before I go and buy more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Something similar.....Every week, I must use a virgin stamp.....(unused....just in case it doesn't get past the censor).

I also deliberately pull out supplies and use them....1. to use them and 2. to revisit why I have bought them in the first place.

A lot of my supplies were bought in order to make backgrounds, so nowadays I have quite a big drawful of b/gs I can grab at a moment's notice. But I love that, as sometimes I don't FEEL like getting messy but have a hankering to use that stuff....

My storage system does not allow for all like colours of everything to be together. I did sort the ribbons into colour containers...coz it was driving me batty. Brads and eyelets are all colour sorted just not in the same place as the ribbon.

I have been stamping many years...and still haven't got everything where I want it to be. Guess one of the favourite activites is to rearrange the stamping area!

Sometimes I will go look at sketches made by others. This then encourages me out of my box which means I am more likely to look for those embellies I don't ordinarily use.

The other thing I do is revisit the many technique books sitting around my stamping room. Checking out all the pretty artwork one more time can often trigger a whole new way of thinking....which also means that "stuff" packed away out of sight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh_dallasView Post
I can related to the OP. So, what I have done is, every week I make a goal to use something different. Which basically means instead of taking an easy way out and use supplies that are already there on my table. I have to pick up one of the other supplies or tools and use them.

What I have done is created a document with items that have not used in a while - like Glimmer Mist or Shimmerz or just rite stamps or ranger paint dauber etc. Then I make it a point to use one of them in my card or scrapbook project.

But at the same time that has given me a insight of what I use most and what I do not or which product/tool I struggle with more...so I can stop buying or stocking them..or sell the tool.

This might not be of much help....but this is what I have been doing and has been enabling me to use other supplies/tools that I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh yes Paula...I can relate to this...No matter how organised I become, I am just a tad lazy when creating to keep getting up and putting everything BACK where it belongs...so in the end I find all sorts of treasures down the track!~

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I have yet to find a system that works for me. I did the color separation thing, which is great in theory, and even works for people, but not me. I was sorting through a bin I kept in plain sight a few days ago and found ten 2-gallon bags with everything sorted by color. Paper, stickers, etc. I'd forgotten I'd done it and hadn't even remembered it in two years, at least. Course now I get to play with all new stuff since I don't remember even having it. I guess getting old has its compensations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently purging my craft room of stuff. It is amazing the amount of junk that I have hoarded over the past 15 years of crafting. I just started putting my emellishments in boxes by major themes then the any non themed items will be sorted by color (love that idea). Someday, I hope to be able to have a place for everything and still a place to work LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

That's about as long as I have been stamping too Deb!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I think I have too much stuff. Not stamps or cardstock, you can NEVER have enough of those. But too many add-ons.

I have Stickles and Smooch; Perfect Pearls and Pearl Ex; brads and eyelets and snaps; buttons and ribbon and floss; flowers and stickers and rub-ons; dew drops and pearls and rhinestones; watercolor wonder crayons and chalks and metallic pastes; Copics and Prisma pencils and SU markers; a Cricut Expression and a Big Shot; embossing powders and UTEE and glitter. And the list goes on and on. Well.....you get the point, right?

I seem to get overwhelmed by it all and generally use stamps, ribbon, buttons and a few rhinestones here and there. And the rest sits.

So how do you all put what you have to work for you? Do you pick out one thing and find a a card to make using that technique? Or do you just go through everything when making a card to see what strikes your fancy? Which works better for you???

Thanks for the help!
Let me start by saying I feel your pain AND I have not read any of the responses ahead of mine.

Here's what I do, and I do this with a bunch of items in my home:
Once a year, usually in late August, I go a little crazy. It's "two year rule" time. If I haven't used it, liked it, worn it, it hasn't fit, I never did lose weight, I never did get it to work right, etc. - OUT IT GOES. Donated to a worthy person, place, or cause. I am never quick to toss things like my Wishblade even though I don't use it as much as I like (it's simply a time issue for me.)

I realize it's a lot of money out the window...but what are the alternatives? Continue to take up space I can use to hoard new stuff I won't use (LOL!)? Throw it in the trash where it's good to no one? For me, the issue of the money spent isn't an issue. I spent it, I have spent a lot more since purchasing that item, no amount of money is making me use the item, so why not pass it on to someone who can't spend what I do and is better & more creative with what they have available to them? The worst thing that happens is I freed up more space to buy more stuff. The best thing that happens is I gave someone new stuff & enabled them.

For me, it's no different than donating "old" clothes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, thanks everyone for all the words of wisdom. I did make a concerted effort this weekend to use some things that I normally wouldn't have. So I have a cuttlebugged background, square rhinestones, heat embossed images, and wait for it.....wait for it....a brayered background.

I'm still pondering sorting everything by color. That would be a huge undertaking for me as right now everything is sorted by type. All brads in cases in one drawer; all eyelets in another; all rub-ons in one drawer; all stickers in another; all glitter in one place, all embossing powder in another, etc. And I have no idea what I'd do with things like ink spots, embossing powders, Copic and SU markers, prisma pencils, etc that are all in cases for easy transport to crops.

And dare I even ask about sorting patterned paper? LOL~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacher4416View Post
Let me start by saying I feel your pain AND I have not read any of the responses ahead of mine.

Here's what I do, and I do this with a bunch of items in my home:
Once a year, usually in late August, I go a little crazy. It's "two year rule" time. If I haven't used it, liked it, worn it, it hasn't fit, I never did lose weight, I never did get it to work right, etc. - OUT IT GOES. Donated to a worthy person, place, or cause. I am never quick to toss things like my Wishblade even though I don't use it as much as I like (it's simply a time issue for me.)

I realize it's a lot of money out the window...but what are the alternatives? Continue to take up space I can use to hoard new stuff I won't use (LOL!)? Throw it in the trash where it's good to no one? For me, the issue of the money spent isn't an issue. I spent it, I have spent a lot more since purchasing that item, no amount of money is making me use the item, so why not pass it on to someone who can't spend what I do and is better & more creative with what they have available to them? The worst thing that happens is I freed up more space to buy more stuff. The best thing that happens is I gave someone new stuff & enabled them.

For me, it's no different than donating "old" clothes.
This is a great idea! I joined the yahoo group Freecycle for my area, and have been giving things away for several months now. Although I still give things to Purple Heart when they call, I love freecycle because I know for sure that this person wants it. They have taken the time to drive over to my house and pick it up, so they must want it, right? I've tried selling things on Craigslist without a single bite, but when I put it on freecycle, there is always someone who wants it! I told my husband that I am really going to work hard on getting rid of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

You know ...murphy's law...the minute I give away/throw away/cull away.....I am going to WANT/NEED/HAVE TO HAVE IT!

Just a better storage I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My system

My system is still a mix of old and new ways to store things. I used to have virtually all of my embellies in baggies up on a sheet of metal with magnets. Obviously I am a 'need to see it' type of gal! It works great but I currently work upstairs in the front room rather than in my craft room in the basement so I can watch the kids while I work. I didn't want to move it because I don't want too many holes in the wall. My stickers and alphabets are on a Clip it up organized by category like Baby, Family, Boy, Love, Winter, Hobbies, Words, Letters etc.

My ribbons are on a shelf in jars from Ikea, the ones that lock tight with a metal springy thingy. I didn't use clothespins because they took up too much room. I use white twist ties instead, that way the jars still look pretty and being wire, they hold without crushing! I usually unspool small amounts of ribbon (I take off the ends and crush the middle part which allows me to slip the ribbon off still wound nicely), but I do have SU! storage boxes for the spools with lots on still and I also have a Making Memories shelf with 4 drawers and a rod for ribbon with spools with holes large enough to fit. I can see everything from my desk.

My brads, eyelets and other teenie supplies are in stacking containers, the ones that have one lid per 7 containers and each screws into the bottom of the one above it. I get them from the dollar store in two sizes, a bit over 1" diameter and 3" or so. I can stack them very high and rearrange them however and whenever I like! Currently one stack is metal bellies, another for coloured bellies, another for gems etc.

My unmounted SU! stamps are in zippered binders on storage sheets. My other UMs are on storage sheets in plastic drawers meant to hold wood mounted stamps, I get 4-6 layers in there. There are still some bellies I have yet to put in the stacking storage containers, I store them in -are you ready for this?- small zippered bags that leather baby slippers came in! They are clear so satisfy the 'need to see it' part of me, stand up nicely on my shelf and are small enough I can see nearly everything from the outside!

General buttons are in jars like my ribbon but specialty buttons, like Basic grey ones that match specific paper packs, are in stacking containers too. I use photoboxes a lot for punches, chipboard, acrylic paints and other bulkier items, these stack nicely on my shelves.

My ink pads and acrylic blocks are in various places depending on how much I use them. The ones I use most are in a cardboard holder which I love, great price point!! The others are in the cardboard boxes you get when you buy a set of 12 if they are SU! My acrylic blocks I use most are right on my desk, others are in a pretty box on my shelf. Teenie ink pads fit nicely into SU! stamp boxes. The rest, not very many, I stack on a shelf. I actually use those for some bellies too. I don't have too much in the way of perfect pearls, glitter or stickles but I think if I had a collection, I'd put them in SU! stamp boxes and store the boxes on their side in a larger box so the stickles would be point down.

I bought a set of 72 Copic markers so they are still in the original box. I have seen many storage options for Copics while blurfing but the storage box, I think they sell it separately, is wonderful. My SU! markers are in the original box too. I have a few other pencils and pens, they live in a neat pencil case, it is 5x8' but unlike other pencil cases it is meant to lay flat on the table being only 1.5" thick. It has a flap on the top with dual zippers so you can see everything as soon as you open it. Way smarter than a traditional case. I use another for my makeup! My watercolour crayons are in their original tin with an elastic around it, stood up on their side in a box so it takes up less room. My pencil crayons, box with my small powder pal and embossing powders and watercolour pencils also stand upright in the same box.

My templates for envelopes, boxes, journaling etc are all in a 12x12 soft sided paper keeper, I use another for large sheets of chipboard.

I took pictures a while back and have rearranged some stuff since but you can see it here: http://eclecticendeavours.blogspot.c...e-my-mess
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

I find that if I don't SEE it, I don't use it. So, that's my dilemma -- finding a way to "display" all my embellishments so I'll remember to use them. Part of my problem also is "moving" every six months from FL to NC and then back. If anyone has a good solution, let me know.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Ditto. I bought a dozen of those bead containers at HL and organized by color. That helped a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes