Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PaperTrey suggestions?

Okay, so I am/was (haven't quite decided my level of loyalty yet) a SU! diehard.
I have all the paper, a ton of stamps, all the ink, the whole rigamarole...
But, I've grown a bit out of SU! and while I want to expand my horizons, I don't want to go too far.
I am VERY interested in PaperTrey because they are working on the color collection. Love matchy matchy!

So, long story short:

If you had all of the SU! colors, what PaperTrey colors would you suggest first?

Also, does anyone have the little ink cubes? How do you like them?

Thanks in advance!
~Kendra
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

SU is probably the company that I spend the most money with, but I have become more and more a fan of PTI's gorgeous colors (CS, ribbons & buttons are my fave!). I do NOT care for their ink...bought one color (aqua mist) and it seems watery, doesn't stamp evenly...just don't like it! There has been an earlier thread about people not being happy with their ink pads. I really hope they can fix the problem, because they do have wonderful coordinating materials.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullenwrView Post
SU is probably the company that I spend the most money with, but I have become more and more a fan of PTI's gorgeous colors (CS, ribbons & buttons are my fave!). I do NOT care for their ink...bought one color (aqua mist) and it seems watery, doesn't stamp evenly...just don't like it! There has been an earlier thread about people not being happy with their ink pads. I really hope they can fix the problem, because they do have wonderful coordinating materials.
They are changing their ink, and aqua mist is one of the colors they've switched already. Now they're going to pigment ink, which gives you a much more "true" color. I have almost all of their colors (inks, cardstock, ribbon, buttons) and I couldn't be happier with the quality.

If I had to choose just one color to start with it probably would be Aqua mist! It's a gorgeous light blue with a really nice green undertone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have all their shades of pink and love every single one. and Spring Moss is a delightful green.

Be careful to buy the new ink if you are buying a lighter shade. The store will say Pigment right on the name of the ink. The darker shades of ink work fine in the regular ink, but the lighter shades did not. Eventually all the shades will switch over to the pigment.

I don't have the cubes so I can't comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

You could always start with the cardstock sampler to give you an idea of which colors you'd use the most and go from there. I love Aqua Mist, Spring Moss, Ripe Avocado, and Melon Berry (the ink is still in the original formula and is darker than the cardstock). Berry Sorbet is also a really nice color and one that I seem to be reaching for more and more lately.

I've tried the ink cubes and can honestly say that I prefer the pads. The ink cubes are a nice way to test colors, but the colors are such a close match (the reformulated inks especially) that if you prefer pads I would just start with one or two pads to see how it goes. It just tends to be difficult to evenly ink large areas with the cubes so things like the background stamps and solid stamps can get splotchy or have lines.

I'm sure no matter where you start you will love Papertrey's products! It's nearly all I use anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have a few of their colors and bought the cubes. I've been happy with them. I have dark chocolate, a charcoal grey color, berry sorbet and Hibiscus. The Hibiscus is pretty light, sounds like aqua mist ink that other people have posted about. It reminds me of what I found with a couple of the SU In-color inks from last year and the year before. Pink Pirouette and Soft sky were super light when I stamped them. I think the choice between full size and cubes is personal - kind of like with SU inks. Personally, it's been a good way to check out their colors. I would also suggest getting a cardstock sampler. It's a great way to check out their colors for a minimal investment. Have fun exploring. They are a great company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Just yesterday I broke down and ordered the PTI teapot stamp set I have loved for so long. Since I was paying postage I went ahead and ordered the card stock sampler and some coordinating patterned papers. The colors look so great on people's cards and there are several shades SU does not have. I am interested to see how I like it as I love SU so much better than most other stuff out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spring Moss, Lemon Tart and Melon Berry are my favorites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I just got my first PTI sets yesterday along with the paper sampler pack. I really love the colors. Didn't get to ink up the stamps yet though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

My favorite colors are Spring Moss, Ocean Tides, and Enchanted Evening. Just GORGEOUS colors!!!! I love PTI...their product quality is awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

The color that drew me in was Ripe Avocado. And I'm not really even a green gal! LOL! I only have the cubes in ink, except for Pure Poppy, which you cannot get in the cube size. I love the size of the cubes, and prefer using them over the full size. But that is my personal preference. I always set my stamp on the table and ink by holding the ink cube, not putting the ink on the table and holding the stamp (I hope that makes sense). I love their thick cardstock, and definitely am glad I started using their product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have all the SU inks and papers too....I started with PTI ones that were really different like Aqua Mist and Ocean tides (my favs).....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also have all the SU! colors but tried the PTI sampler last month. The colors that really, really, make me happy are Aqua Mist, Sweet Blush, and Lemon Tart. I am definitely going to order some more individual packs of those. Also, their shimmery pink and blue cardstock is gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I'm surprised that no one has said Summer Sunrise!! I started with lots of SU as well and Summer Sunrise seems to fill a void in the SU colors... more orangey than Apricot, less orange than Only Orange. It seems to go with everything for me.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I really like the new pigment ink formula. It is very different from their original hybrid ink. My favorite color is aqua mist and with the new ink formula the images are very clear (with both clear and rubber stamps). I also like hibiscus burst and lemon tart. I found that pure poppy is almost identical to real red. Spring rain is very similar to bashful blue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have all the SU current and retired and ALL the Papertrey stuff too. My first for sure color to purchase from Papertrey would be Aqua Mist...it is very beautiful. Nothing like it in SU.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I use SU! stamps, was a demonstrator but couldn't do it anymore. Found PTI on SC, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE their products. They were having issues with some of the ink pads, but they have reformulated them and they are better now, so I hear, I don't have any of their ink pads yet.
Reply With Quote Likes