Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HA! "Size Matters"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #82  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd like to make cards larger than A2 size, but where do you get the paper that's larger than 12x12 to do a A6 or A7 card? Sure, craft stores sell the 5x7 paper/envelope kits but the base is so light I'd like to get something heavier. What are others doing? thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #83  
Polyshrink Goddess

I teach music and leave my cards on top of my piano. I have one student who loves to look at the new cards each week, and she always checks the inside! There is almost never a sentiment there, because I usually don't put one until I know what the occasion for the card is. The exception is when I make a card knowing exactly to whom it is going and when!

I make a lot of cards for my husband to use at work, mainly sympathy cards fro co-workers who have lost a loved one, but sometimes birthday or thank you cards. My hubby loves blank cards though, because he likes to write his own message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #84  
Kookie Creator

My husband always looks inside too, even though he knows the inside will be blank. After all, what we say inside is what counts to the receiver.

When I send my cards I work hard for the card to have an inside message relating to the front of the card. That is often very hard. SU has done a good job lately with sympathy and encouragement. I think SU could really sell a set that had good, loving wishes for a happy birthday that were intended for the inside of cards. So often the inside messages are so quirky they don't appeal to me at all and I don't buy the set. I have even emailed them with this request, but haven't seen a good set yet for birthdays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A LOT of companies should take the hint and make a nice set of larger to see inside sentiments!!! Puleeze
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimichan1View Post
I'd like to make cards larger than A2 size, but where do you get the paper that's larger than 12x12 to do a A6 or A7 card? Sure, craft stores sell the 5x7 paper/envelope kits but the base is so light I'd like to get something heavier. What are others doing? thanks
Check around for paper distributors in your area -- they supply to print shops, so you can often get bulk quantities at a good price. If you take a sample with you of what you want, that makes it easier for them to find just what you're looking for!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #87  
Kookie Creator

Thank you for this thread! Really helped me decide which way to go in my cardmaking.

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #88  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

One sheet of 8-1/2" x 11" cardstock is all you need for an A7 card. Cut 1-1/2" off the 8-1/2" side. The 1-1/2" strip is perfect for Borderabilities, BTW.

Then cut 1" off the 11" side, leaving 7" x 10", fold in half for an A7 card.

So we can't get two cards from one sheet of cardstock. I don't care, as I think A2 cards look like invitations and not "real" greeting cards.

I've also patched together two sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" cardstock to make an A7 sized tri fold shutter card. There's a seam, but it's on the back.

Cyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #89  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the A7 dimensions. Does anyone know or is there a list somewhere what the post office will accept and what is considered irregular? I know it has to be larger than 3x5. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #90  
Matboard Maniac

Hiya everyone this is my first post woo hoo, it was a perfect thread for me too. I've been selling my cards for 4 yrs now and i am never asked for small cards as my customers call them. Not sure what the dimensions are but i make cards froman a4 folded over, these are considered my normal size and rarely am i asked for smaller. I've even been asked to make bigger so attatched 2 a4 sheets with the overlap on the back.

They like quite a bit on it and minimal is classed as lazy or unfinished sadly, i love minimal for some cards especially invites! A lot of my cards are wanted in boxes i make too, the most popular card with my customers is the bookatrix.

Nor do they want cute stamps only the odd customer will pick one up if i have some sitting around but they never order a cute stamped, If i use a stamp it's normally floral etc tbh they want decoupage cards which is frustrating for me as i adore my stamping, but it's what they want. Also never ever have they bought blank i always put in a sentiment, they don't want a small one either it has to be a verse, i print all my inserts myself using verses to fit the occasion. I'm very careful to ask what the recipient likes/dislikes so i can fit the card around them. The only complaint i've ever had is when a customer bought a card and promptly bought it back, i'd stamped a greeting inside and she asked for a "proper" verse, thankfully it was my only complaint to date.
Tasha xxxxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #91  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,087 Likes on 832 Posts

Quote:

I am assuming you live in the States as the majority of people on SCS do. So I can't say for sure, but over here all art and many office-supply shops stock large sheets of good weight card. You'd think I could remember the size - I used to sell the stuff. Bigger than a sheet of wrapping paper, anyway. I buy that for big cards (very, very rare in my case) and boxes. I had to buy an extra long steel ruler, though, to make cutting easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #92  
Insane Embellisher

Interesting comments. Thanks for sharing, Joan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #93  
Compulsive Stamper

Very interesting. I am always suprised when I've done somethng I'm crazy about and it doesn't sell but something "blah" sells like crazy. I guess I need to remember whose mental health I am creating the art for....mine!

www.Anne-Holliday.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #94  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
A LOT of companies should take the hint and make a nice set of larger to see inside sentiments!!! Puleeze
I second this. I am waiting for a clear stamp company to come out with an every occasion sentiment set. I would also love a set of thank you paragraphs for the inside of the card. I have plenty of "thank you" stamps, but really want something for the inside of the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #95  

I don't have a lot of inside sentiments stamps so when I feel I do need to put something on the inside (mine are normally blank too) I'm at a loss what to do. So I recently bought a book from Michael's that had poems, expressions, quotes, sentiments, etc., called Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Card by Linda LaTourelle. Now I just print them on my computer either the whole base card or just a card insert. Works for me. By the way I'm a fan of A2 cards but I just may bump it up a notch thanks to this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

I appreciate everyone comments and ideas. I've basically stuck to A2 cards (for the obvious reasons - plus I have bought a LOT of A2 envies)...but there are times when I've been frustrated when the small "palatte" limits what I can do. I am definitely going to start making more of the larger cards.

As far as sentiments, I make a lot of blanks (for me), so that I can personalize them when I need a card quickly. I do make blanks as well, for sale, but make more collections - thank-you's and birthday's. I have several sentiment stamps...but as has been mentioned, they're not very BIG...so they sometimes don't work well inside. I do lots of my own, little verses and from-the-heart sayings on the computer and print them on cardstock, which I then use as a base.

I'm anxious to try some new things, so thanks for all the comments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #97  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for sharing . This was an interesting read and I appreciate you letting us know what you found out!

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #98  
Embossing Fanatic

A friend told me that her sister always writes her message on a large post-it and puts that inside the card so the person who receives the card can remove the note and re-use the card. I thought that was a great idea even though I can't ever get rid of a card I receive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #99  
Matboard Maniac

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks Joan for the interesting information! I have found very similar reactions from my non-stamping friends.
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #100  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Everyone enjoyed the bits I shared about this thread on my blog! I think I might be moving to A4s soon......or later?! HAH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #101  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow what great research! It's really interesting to read the points of view of non-stampers vs. stampers - like what looks good to them vs. what looks good to us. I wonder what my own friends think. I should conduct a survey of my own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #102  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Does your hubby have a twin in Oklahoma? My dh does the exact same thing.:mrgreen:
:mrgreen: Nope - I think it's triplets; my DH also does that. He's finally gotten to the point where he's kinda shocked if there IS something (sentiment) inside. In spite of that, he still looks - each and every time!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #103  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fascinating, Joan! I had gut feelings about a lot of that stuff, but, it's intriguing to see someone else actually poll non-stamping people regarding it, with findings similar to what I was thinking!

I mean, I know it was unscientific, but, still--I'm fascinated!

Thanks for sharing your findings with us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #104  
Pearl-ExPert

My husband once commented to me that the A2 card is too small so for his birthday I made him an 8X10 card. We both got a laugh out of it. I sell a lot of cards and the size I sell the most of is 5 1/2 X 5 1/2. I do sell A2 cards as well. I let my customer pick the card and we decide together what sentiment they want on the inside and I usually print it off. If you don't have a wide selection of sentiments for the inside you can always print one on your computer. This is also a great way to make it personal for the card buyer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #105  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your hubbies look inside the cards?! I'm jealous. I make cards and hand them to DH to sign and he grabs a pen and scribbles his name without looking at what is inside OR even checking out the OUTSIDE. Sigh. He doesn't really get it, but after 28 years of marriage (today!) I don't think that is going to change.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #106  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking inside

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theresa RomaniView Post
Your hubbies look inside the cards?! I'm jealous. I make cards and hand them to DH to sign and he grabs a pen and scribbles his name without looking at what is inside OR even checking out the OUTSIDE. Sigh. He doesn't really get it, but after 28 years of marriage (today!) I don't think that is going to change.
Congratulations on your anniversary!

I sort of know what you mean. Some of my cards have sentiments or matching stamping inside and on the back. I get so disappointed when showing off my latest creations and no one looks inside or at the back. I want all my efforts appreciated, so I usually have to prompt them to keep looking. SIGH!

Personally I always look to see what's inside. I think it's human nature; we always have to see "the other side of the mountain". Besides, if there's a sentiment I have to see if I like it or not (I'm very picky). Before making my own, I never even considered a blank one; that's what I was paying the big bucks for;). However, sitting on the other side of the fence, the blank inside is always intimidating; I struggle with what to put inside to fill up some of that open space and make it seem like "professional" homemade instead of the "cheap" homemade. I know it's stupid, but I feel so ashamed if I don't have a stamped sentiment to go with the handwritten message.

Having said that, however, this thread is good timing. I used to go to "Art Club" every Tuesday and haven't been much in ages. After joining the ladies for a few weeks to work on some carving and catch up socially, I was asked to bring my cards so they could see them. They were thrilled with them (they're an encouraging an positive bunch, much like here at SCS), even the A2 (which were the most common size I had) and strongly encouraged me to sell them. I realize artists of all types are more likely into the techniques than the CAS, but they liked both. I have been seriously thinking about their advice and trying to make some for sale. These tips will be helpful and are much appreciated, but couldn't you have come up with it before I invested in an A2 envelope die?:rolleyes: As for the sentiment or lack thereof, I guess I'll just have to try both and see what sells here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #107  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in the land of Downunder. yep you guessed it i live in Australia

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocrorvigView Post
A friend told me that her sister always writes her message on a large post-it and puts that inside the card so the person who receives the card can remove the note and re-use the card. I thought that was a great idea even though I can't ever get rid of a card I receive.
I always tell peoole I give my cards to that they should be recycled. I put a small amount of glue so the insert can be removed and replaced with the next persons insert.

A few of my friends do this and it makes me feel good knowing my card has gone to more than one person. Even though I use up a lot of paper I would like to think of myself as a GREENIE:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #108  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycatbillybobView Post
I was in the middle of making a box of cards for a friend when I read this thread. The sentiment issue made me think. So I printed the sentiment sheets, put covered tape tabs on the back and put them loose in the box so my friend can decide which sentiment to use, or to write on a plain sheet. I had already made 2 of the cards in the 4.25 X 4.25" size or I probably would have made those bigger cards!
Here's a link to the set:
Abundant Joy Cards by mycatbillybob at Splitcoaststampers
Abundant Joy Cards by mycatbillybob at Splitcoaststampers
That is such a great idea! "Favorited" (is that a word?):confused: - Added to Favorites, that's what I did

OK - back to reading this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #109  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by zekenneView Post
I always tell peoole I give my cards to that they should be recycled. I put a small amount of glue so the insert can be removed and replaced with the next persons insert.

A few of my friends do this and it makes me feel good knowing my card has gone to more than one person. Even though I use up a lot of paper I would like to think of myself as a GREENIE:cool:
Not I! I put so much tape on my inside sentiment that you would probably rip the card apart completely trying to remove it. :mrgreen:

Of course, my BFF has told me at least twice that she HAS removed the inside and recycled my card, because "it was just too pretty not to share." I still don't know how I feel about that, since I pretty much make my cards one at time for each particular person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #110  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Me too!

[QUOTE=tigerlily55;14595045]I myself have a hard time with Children without mouths and women without heads. Call me crazy :rolleyes:

I've never been a fan of them either. I thought I was the only one. I'm still into the vintage thing so popular three or so years ago!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #111  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

This is such a great thread! I make cards because it makes me happy so if people don't like the smaller ones, tough. On the other hand, I have started an Etsy store bc I just have too many cards. It's been almost 4 months and I haven't sold any! A little extra cash might be nice. I have various sizes of cards up there, several different styles. Some are definitely bigger but now that I think about it, the sizes may not be noted for all of them. Maybe I should add that. If anyone is willing to critique my listings, please PM me. Maybe my search words aren't right for the cards. I NEVER find what I want searching Google etc so maybe words I think are appropriate to search by aren't! Always so hard to know what will and won't appeal to laypeople!!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #112  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHSView Post
What size are the A6 cards?
Is there a size chart on this site?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #113  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rozd123stampsView Post
Is there a size chart on this site?
These two posts had links where you can find charts:

Post # 50:
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14595463&postcount=50

Post # 51:
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14595665&postcount=51
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #114  
Inking Addict

Wow, this thread rocks... so informative and probably pretty accurate almost everywhere. Thanks so much for the time you took to survey and post. I sell cards at only one store, it is an antiques and crafts place in town. Cards are blank inside and have no saying on the outside. The owner says most people like not having a sentiment inside, but sales are slow. The other cards she carries are the same size, some are freehand art and some vintage photos. None have outside sentiments or inside sayings. I don't know if they sell any better. I have been planning to add outside sentiments on the next batch I give her just to see if they do better. Summer is a very slow time for everything though so we will see. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's feedback because it gives us thought about what we can do to make our craft more 'user friendly'....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #115  
Matboard Maniac

I believe that the trend toward lots of layers and multiple embellishments was driven by SU and other vendors to sell to us much more than just stamps, ink and paper. After repeated exposure to impressive cards created with these added items, many of us gravitated toward using them. I still can't believe the actual metal hardware I see on cards! A brad or two is OK with me, but real looking hardware like you might see as on a cabinet drawer just seems bizarre.

So the pressure to sell more stuff has resulted in cards laden with more stuff. But the "regular folks" out there who haven't been exposed to these items on their Hallmark cards just don't find them attractive. I agree with them much of the time. Clean & Simple is my favorite kind of design, though I wouldn't hesitate to send an elaborate card to another stamper ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #116  
Kookie Creator

Good point, readytoretire!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ready2retireView Post
I believe that the trend toward lots of layers and multiple embellishments was driven by SU and other vendors to sell to us much more than just stamps, ink and paper. After repeated exposure to impressive cards created with these added items, many of us gravitated toward using them. I still can't believe the actual metal hardware I see on cards! A brad or two is OK with me, but real looking hardware like you might see as on a cabinet drawer just seems bizarre.

So the pressure to sell more stuff has resulted in cards laden with more stuff. But the "regular folks" out there who haven't been exposed to these items on their Hallmark cards just don't find them attractive. I agree with them much of the time. Clean & Simple is my favorite kind of design, though I wouldn't hesitate to send an elaborate card to another stamper ;-)
LOL, sounds more like X-Files than papercrafting! ;) Actually, SU and CTMH and others are more geared towards the beginners. It's the artists, those dastardly, "artsy fartsy" folk that feverishly pile on the stuff, lol! If you think about it, many of those same artists "used" to be with SU, CTMH and others, but evolved away from them to a more complicated style.

Now the paper companies....THEY are the true evil puppetmasters, lol! It's a grand plan on their part to enslave us all by addicting us to paper fumes....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #118  
Rubber Obsessor

And about the larger sizes, I have noticed that most of the time when I receive a card from the opposite sex (which is admittedly not often, lol), guys tend to buy larger cards.
Too funny, I have actually quizzed my DH is he just looks for the largest size on the rack when he chooses a card for me. Hee Hee. That being said, he always gets me a wonderful, sweet card that I totally love, even if I COULD buy a whole new stamp set with what he pays. Interestingly enough, I generally make a larger card when I make him one. I guess subconciously I realize he prefers that.
Thanks for doing the work of the survey. very interesting to hear the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #119  
Kookie Creator

All this being said, I was thinking back to the days before I knew there was SU. My whole goal in buying a card was for the inside message to fit the person for that occasion. Now that I make cards, the inside message can't be found, except SU has done a good job with sympathy and encouragement. I wish SU would catch the drift of this thread. rots of ruck, I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SU really is beside the point, IMHO. They have a wide variety of stuff, but their catty really has more simple cards. In fact the catty is quite versatile. I've yet to find a good set of inside sentiments, but I haven't looked all that hard.

Maybe I'll see one at CHA.. BWAAAA!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes