Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #41  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstacey88View Post
Will the new SU redesigned 2018 ink pads still go on the rotating color caddy that's been out for a while?

Yes, but they will not fit snugly so if you spin it too fast they will fall out. The old ones had the "legs" on each side that kind of held them in and the new ones are flat on the bottom except for tiny dimple feet on each corner.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Default They will still fit. And don't worry about what's retiring.

Quote:

Will the new SU redesigned 2018 ink pads still go on the rotating color caddy that's been out for a while?

I just received the new SU pads and they fit fine. I'm a demonstrator and I feel no need to upgrade when they come out with a new inkpad storage in the future.

On the subject of buying the new colors and getting rid of the retiring colors, BOY, did I make a few people really happy! I gave away a ton of inkpads and refills. About 50!

I am such a collector! But when really considering the number of colors of ink I use REGULARLY, it's a small number. Sure, I kept a few retired colors that I love like Soft Sky and places where a hole would be but it was so liberating!
I only felt a need for all the colors when I was brayering backgrounds. Most of the time I choose something a little darker than the CS color.
I have stopped buying colors that I'm not fond of because my customers pick what they like no matter.

It's makes more sense to have more colors of cardstock but not ink.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Chris Ice; 04-26-2018 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 348 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

If you mean the SU rotating caddy, it's a 'yes, but'.

Yes, they do fit. But they rest across the two 'spokes' instead of locking on to them like the old-style pads do, so don't twirl the caddy too fast or they will slip out.

I store my SU pads in re-purposed cassette tape racks and they are fine in those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #44  
Mad Swapper

Received 497 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

They also retired that color caddy, and I haven't heard of what will replace it. I did see a picture where someone used an elastic cord to keep the new pads in place since they are a bit smaller.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
You might not know, but CTMH changed their stamp pads two or so years ago. They're much better than the old ones. I kept the CTMH old pads I had cause I loved the colors & couldn't find them anywhere else, but gave away all my SU pads. I probably won't be buying any of the new pads cause I have lots of other ink pads, and can't afford SU anymore.
CTMH ink pads are $10.25 Can., and in the current Stampin' Up! catalog, the ink pads are $8.50 Can. In the new SU catalog beginning June 1, 2018 the ink pad price is increasing to $10.25 Can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up trying to keep up with all their new colors and pad changes...I found I used other, better brands of ink and went with more of them...Since SU does not work well with Copic or Spectrum Noir, I pretty much quit using them and sold them all off...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been stamping a long time. I got into it with SU. I still like their ink and papers but now they have competition they didn't have years ago and we are the ones to gain from that. Papertrey has good inks and colors. I like their stamps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

I was at a stamp store who is carrying VersaFine CLAIR...like a full line of colors.
They said CLAIR is replacing Versafine. The formula tweaked, so had to revamp ink name and color names. My first thought is....what about cubes!?!? The store carried the full size in Clair and did not have info on CLAIR cubes at this point. The ink supposedly takes a bit longer to dry, but supposed to be even better. I don’t care for change with Onyx Black ink formula or name. Store also commented the news of change not widely known yet.
Does anyone know anything on this change? I trust their info. They have some major players that come in to teach classes there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Update to my own previous post......the VersaFine Clair color I did buy to try is Warm Breeze. The color stamped exactly same as VersaFine Deep Lagoon.
(Stamp store did say colors would be the same, just diff names).
I like the new rectangular style case and nice raised pad. The drying time in this color seemed pretty immediate.
Maybe my grumbling about change is unwarranted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~sweetiepieView Post
CTMH ink pads are $10.25 Can., and in the current Stampin' Up! catalog, the ink pads are $8.50 Can. In the new SU catalog beginning June 1, 2018 the ink pad price is increasing to $10.25 Can.
I just looked in my CTMH catalog, and the ink pads are $7.95 in US cost. SU is too expensive for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just like ink pads-weird am I? LOL I have all the TH distress in regular and mini ink pads. I have all the current TH distress oxides. I have dozens of the Hero Arts minis. And now am buying Ginak minis I did buy many of the newly released SU colors. I forget just how many SU ink pads are in my craft room, 74? I started stamping with SU inks back in 1990. Can this gal have too many ink pads, nope :]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I just looked in my CTMH catalog, and the ink pads are $7.95 in US cost. SU is too expensive for me.

Stampin'Up! ink pads are $7.50 U.S.in the new Annual Catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 05:43 AM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Update to my own previous post......the VersaFine Clair color I did buy to try is Warm Breeze. The color stamped exactly same as VersaFine Deep Lagoon.
(Stamp store did say colors would be the same, just diff names).
I like the new rectangular style case and nice raised pad. The drying time in this color seemed pretty immediate.
Maybe my grumbling about change is unwarranted.

Maybe it�s a weird batch, but Warm Breeze and Deep Lagoon are slightly different in my pads. I wish they�d come out with really light colors.

Oh, the point: Clair�s magic is while the ink dries very quickly, you can heat emboss it even 5+ minutes after stamping with it. A couple of Clair threads are on SCS. If you�d like to read them but have trouble unearthing them, yell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 03:32 AM   #54  
Mad Swapper

It has just been in the last 18 months that my Organize More 60 ink pad holder became full of SU pads, so I am finally doing the sensible thing for me and I will only buy new ink pads when the old pads (most linen, and a few firm foam, a few as old as 10 years) become dry and I can no longer reink and stamp with them. I am tired of purging perfectly good supplies because a company wants to sell me new ones. It's my bad for doing it all these years.

As far as keeping up with the new colors, many of them are so close to older colors (before the prior revamp) that I don't really feel tempted. If I break down, I have decided to buy spots and reinkers. I feel Stampin Up is really missing the boat by not allowing customers to buy single markers all the time, but especially during a major color refresh like this one. Instead of buying the whole lot, I have looked into which Copic colors best match the Stampin Up shades and will go that route.

I am trying to keep my supplies under control so when a storage method I am using is full to capacity, I am forcing myself to stop buying. Too much stuff hampers rather than helps my creativity. Stampin Up (and other companies too) make it easier for me if they don't sell in the way that I want to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
I am excited about some of the new colors, but I realized several years ago there were colors that I simply did not use. I discovered that for me I like bright colors and dark colors and use those the most. When I saw the new Sea Foam green color, I knew immediately that it was not a color that I would use and would not get.
As far as replacing all my ink pads? No, I don't do that; however, there are some ink pads that need replacing like Real Red (I've had forever and the pad is in bad shape). I was about to order a few new ones that needed replacing when the news came out about the new design and ink formula so I will wait to get the newest ones.

I understand your frustration. When they changed the color family names (bold brights to just Brights, etc) and overhauled the colors in each family, I had just about completed the set of all the inks that was offered at that time. My heart sank, but I decided that companies make changes, update, upgrade, etc to maintain an active market. Then I realized I didn't need all the ink pads as I do have markers and watercolor pencils that I can blend to achieve acceptable colors.

I will surely miss Tempting Turquoise as it has always been one of my favorites, but I have the marker, re-inker, ink pad, some old DSP and a whole pack + of cardstock. And the same with Tangerine Tango!

If a company doesn't add or change up the colors, then they aren't keeping up with the trends then I would be looking at other brands to see what I'm missing. And that would be sad, too.

I thought the same thing about Seaform green until I saw it in action; I love it! It is great for soft background stamping; such a beautiful color and the paper is my very favorite and all my lady's ordered it at my stamp camp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #56  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

After using my Stamparatus last night and wiping tons of wasted ink off of the lid, I’ve decided that from now on I’ll buy reinkers and and spots for new colors I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2018, 01:09 AM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a question. I have the old linen pads from 2010. I noticed the ink is not as rich as it use to be. The colors are coming out splotchy and uneven. I have reinked every single one of my pads. Are the ink pads getting worn out? All my other ink pads from different companies are not doing this. I didn't know if ink pads themselves have a shelf life. I am not hard on my pads and do take care of them. Any advice would be so so so appreciated. I am attached to my ink pads.

cuteblueshoes I loved your post. I only upgrade when my things are worn out, broken or it's not fitting my needs. I do love when a company does make it easy for us by not doing what we need them to do, lol. I am not buying SU marker's either in color lots. I already own a set.

You girls that keep talking about the Stamparatus made me really glad I didn't buy one. That is not meant to be a knock against the product. I am always glad to hear the great, the bad, the ugly. I think I would have been so frustrated if I bought it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2018, 03:32 AM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have a question. I have the old linen pads from 2010. I noticed the ink is not as rich as it use to be. The colors are coming out splotchy and uneven. I have reinked every single one of my pads. Are the ink pads getting worn out? All my other ink pads from different companies are not doing this. I didn't know if ink pads themselves have a shelf life. I am not hard on my pads and do take care of them. Any advice would be so so so appreciated. I am attached to my ink pads.

cuteblueshoes I loved your post. I only upgrade when my things are worn out, broken or it's not fitting my needs. I do love when a company does make it easy for us by not doing what we need them to do, lol. I am not buying SU marker's either in color lots. I already own a set.

You girls that keep talking about the Stamparatus made me really glad I didn't buy one. That is not meant to be a knock against the product. I am always glad to hear the great, the bad, the ugly. I think I would have been so frustrated if I bought it.

Lylacfey - I just recently bought some ink refresher, because I moved my ink pad holder closer to the windows in my studio and I think they are drying out a little quicker than they used to. I spritzed a couple and really "massaged" the pads a bit with the back of a plastic spoon. The next day I added just a few drops of reinker and it seemed to disperse better and I got nice even coverage on my stamps. I may not even have needed to add the extra ink. Here's the brand I used:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you cuteblueshoes. I tried the refresher on one pad. It didn't work and actually ruined it. Not knocking the ink refresher. I know it's a great product. It was a fail for me. :(

My DH looked at the pads tonight and took a spoon and started really pressing the ink in. It was like watching magic. The pads started looking brand new. I don't have the foam pads. I only have the linen. I was too nervous about trying the spoon trick because I was told it was a no-no on linen pads. It did help some of my pads. I think others are on the end of their life cycle. I am going to buy a few new pads and see if that helps.

If any one else has suggestions or hints. Please post them. I know I am not the only one who might be having some problems. Ink Refresher trick could be perfect for some. Spoons could help or another tip could be the big save for our precious ink pads.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #60  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Because I'm not a demo. for anyone. I buy and use what I like.

I have about 20 different Stampin Up inks and refills.
Never had any problems with opening them.

I also have a lot of The Angel Company ink pads & refills.
Along with memento inks

I try to purchase refills when purchase ink pads.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

They do - but they aren’t a great fit. If you give your caddy a good spin, they will fall out.

Last edited by LifesABeach48; 03-05-2022 at 01:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

When they announced that Tempting turquoise was being retired I placed an order for 5 pks of cardstock and 4 bottles of reinkers and 1 new ink pad. Here it is 9 years later and I had to toss the original pad due to it just falling apart, so I'm using the newer pad, I have 2 reinkers left and 1 pk of the cardstock.
As for the Tangerine color, it was too much like Tangelo Twist. I never cared for the orange color groups. So I didn't worry about it.
Luckily, the In-Colors are sold as a bundle, all 5 colors and individually. When they announce the colors with the yearly catalog, I decide if I want the bundle or single pads.
Like in 2018-2020 In-Colors I loved the Pineapple Punch, Grapefruit Grove & Blueberry Bushel, so I bought the pads, reinkers and cardstock, but I didn't buy the Call Me Clover or Lovely Lipstick.
In 2019-2021 I bought the big bundle of all items above in Purple Posy, Rococo Rose, Terracotta Tile, and I LOVE these next 2 colors or Seaside Spray & Pretty Peacock.
In 2020-2022, of the 5 colors I bought only 1, the Mist Moonlight. The Bumble Bee color was reminiscent of Hello Honey from 2014-2015.Magenta Madness was too florid, Just Jade was like a bit darker Coastal Cabana and Cinnamon Cider was just not a color for me.
Luckily, I have another year on my more favorite of the In-Colors for the last few years, and it seems to me that except for 1 color - Pale Papaya, the colors were in matching pairs. Evening Evergreen matched with the Soft Succulent. The Polished Pink matched, not perfectly, the Fresh Freesia.

I look forward to the In-Colors every year, keeping my fingers crossed that they won't be what I call a 50/50 set with colors that I really disliked. Example Fresh Fig, Cucumber Crush, Tangelo Twist, & Groovy Guava, etc.

I keep all of my pads, except that in 2019/2020 I got rid of the ink pads and left over reinkers for the color redo they did in 2010!! I did an overhaul during the Covid shut down and had a bunch of stamps, dies, punches and ink pads on Craig's List.

Even if you run out of a reinker for your favorite color of stamp pad, there is a lot of ink left behind hiding in the felt. Whether the pad is barely moist or completely dry, buy a bottle of Tsukineko's "Ink Potion No 9", or Ranger "Inkssentials Ink Refresher", you could even use Tim Holtz "Distress Refresher". These refreshers are to be used on water based ink pads & markers only.

If only someone would make a ink pad refresher for SOLVENT inks as I have 5 colors of Tsukineko's Staz-On MIDI ink pads such as Ganache, Claret, Cloudy Sky, Gothic Purple and my favorite Midnight Blue. # of them are dry and the other 2 are very weak. If only I could refresh them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #63  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphyre333View Post
When they announced that Tempting turquoise was being retired I placed an order for 5 pks of cardstock and 4 bottles of reinkers and 1 new ink pad. Here it is 9 years later and I had to toss the original pad due to it just falling apart, so I'm using the newer pad, I have 2 reinkers left and 1 pk of the cardstock.
As for the Tangerine color, it was too much like Tangelo Twist. I never cared for the orange color groups. So I didn't worry about it.
Luckily, the In-Colors are sold as a bundle, all 5 colors and individually. When they announce the colors with the yearly catalog, I decide if I want the bundle or single pads.
Like in 2018-2020 In-Colors I loved the Pineapple Punch, Grapefruit Grove & Blueberry Bushel, so I bought the pads, reinkers and cardstock, but I didn't buy the Call Me Clover or Lovely Lipstick.
In 2019-2021 I bought the big bundle of all items above in Purple Posy, Rococo Rose, Terracotta Tile, and I LOVE these next 2 colors or Seaside Spray & Pretty Peacock.
In 2020-2022, of the 5 colors I bought only 1, the Mist Moonlight. The Bumble Bee color was reminiscent of Hello Honey from 2014-2015.Magenta Madness was too florid, Just Jade was like a bit darker Coastal Cabana and Cinnamon Cider was just not a color for me.
Luckily, I have another year on my more favorite of the In-Colors for the last few years, and it seems to me that except for 1 color - Pale Papaya, the colors were in matching pairs. Evening Evergreen matched with the Soft Succulent. The Polished Pink matched, not perfectly, the Fresh Freesia.

I look forward to the In-Colors every year, keeping my fingers crossed that they won't be what I call a 50/50 set with colors that I really disliked. Example Fresh Fig, Cucumber Crush, Tangelo Twist, & Groovy Guava, etc.

I keep all of my pads, except that in 2019/2020 I got rid of the ink pads and left over reinkers for the color redo they did in 2010!! I did an overhaul during the Covid shut down and had a bunch of stamps, dies, punches and ink pads on Craig's List.

Even if you run out of a reinker for your favorite color of stamp pad, there is a lot of ink left behind hiding in the felt. Whether the pad is barely moist or completely dry, buy a bottle of Tsukineko's "Ink Potion No 9", or Ranger "Inkssentials Ink Refresher", you could even use Tim Holtz "Distress Refresher". These refreshers are to be used on water based ink pads & markers only.

If only someone would make a ink pad refresher for SOLVENT inks as I have 5 colors of Tsukineko's Staz-On MIDI ink pads such as Ganache, Claret, Cloudy Sky, Gothic Purple and my favorite Midnight Blue. # of them are dry and the other 2 are very weak. If only I could refresh them.
Denatured alcohol is the solvent for alcohol ink, like Stazon. It is available at the hardware store. To refresh a Stazon pad, the Frugal Crafter recommended spreading about a tablespoon of the denatured alcohol on the pad and letting it sit for a minute. We recommend doing this outside for maximum ventilation and avoid breathing it in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2022, 06:54 AM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting to see this thread today. Stampin Up just announced to their demonstrators that there would be a price increase on almost everything, including cardstock, ink, and refills, in their new catalog. To make it even more painful, they are increasing their shipping charges too ($7.95 minimum charge and 11%).
I am not a big fan of their ink pads since mine need reinking way too often. I suspect I will be more cautious about what I buy in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
ChrisO (03-15-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 08:08 AM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to be an SU demo from '04-'09 and I kept all of my SU inks pads and continue to selectively add to my collection. I always buy the refills for every pad so I am getting my money's worth for sure. I am currently reorganizing all of my inks and I'm making new swatches of each color and I have them organized in rainbow order.

My tastes have changed a lot over the years, and colors I used to love, I don't care for as much, but I still keep them all because I know that my tastes and trends will change again.

Here is what I've noticed about my SU inks:
1. Their color collections are not at all designed in gradient collections. Their colors are designed to work together in other combos. But for color layering stamps, their collections are not very conducive to gradient color layering.
2. If you collect them all over a long period of time, and keep the retiring colors and buy the reinkers, you can put together color layering combos pretty well.
3. It seems like the purples are not as stable over the years. My lavendar lace has totally shifted and looks much more blue now. Even when I added more reinker, the color is just not the same as it was when I bought it years ago.
4. I think the old felt style stamps better when the ink pad is juicy. But that is just my personal preference.
5. I'm finding that pastel colors are key to getting nice gradient layered stamping, so I am wanting to find more of the pastel lighter shades to add to my collection.
6. I really don't like the muddy, dark colors that SU always seems to have. The rich dark cardstock colors are nice, but I think that the ink just looks like various shades of purple-y brown and I don't care for them. So I'll avoid buying anything too dark in the future. I only use these dark colors for blending where I can control the opacity a little better.

I'm branching out now to Altenew, Simon, and a few other brands of inks that offer gradient collections. I'll store them all alongside my SU inks and learn to use them all and I don't plan on getting rid of any of them any time soon. As soon as I get rid of something Jennifer McGuire will come up with some new genius idea that will make me regret purging anything! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by veramats:
domesticdiva (06-21-2022), lylacfey (06-21-2022), pepperann (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

veramats- I cant’t thank you enough for your post. It was so helpful to me. This was the kind of info and advice I have been looking for.

I have the old felt pads too. I love them. All my inks have reinkers. I did notice color shifts. One of my blues that had a lot of purple hue in it is now a more royal blue. I can’t remember the exact color at the moment. Bravo Burgundy rusted. Chocolate Chip reinker turned green. I had to order another one.

I have been wanting to invest in Versafine Clair, I wasn’t sure if I should just retire my SU ink pads for new formulas. Just add new formula inks alongside them. I am going to add newer inks alongside with my SU inks.

Reply With Quote Likes