Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I be worried?

Do you have a style or try everything whether its your taste or not as I do?
I design in colors and styles of the person receiving the card for occassion cards. I also seem to have a cas streak for cards especially thank you and quick notes that I send from me.
I love techniques that are new to me and try just about everything.
I cant seem to settle for a style. Is this the nature of this beast of a hobby or am I a ADD candidate.
I get inspiration from everywhere and although I have been doing this for over five years, I cant seem to settle down to a style or technique. I would love to read your design trends and experiences.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think you need to be worried about being a super creative type of person, lol! I think you will find lots of company here at SCS. Many folks are just like you, and love trying new techniques and challenging themselves to do something different.

Me...not so much. For example, I like repetition and have no problem with the "assembly line" method when I make my holiday cards. I can make several dozen just alike and enjoy the process. I do make special cards for different people, but love making multiple cards of the same style to have on hand when I need them.

For the record, this same personality trait carries over into my other hobby, crocheting. I like making afghans, where you just crochet the same pattern in a row, over and over again. This drives some crocheters crazy, and they prefer complicated patterns where the pattern of stitches changes often.

That's the lovely part of this hobby, I think. We are all free to do whatever appeals to us.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

estamps, I agree with you completely, especially about designing for the recipient. Sometimes that has meant working in colours or themes that don't really appeal to me, which makes the project a little harder, but it's all learning! I love trying new stuff- seeing new techniques and products. I won't buy into something that does not appeal to me though- off the top of my head, the cupcake thing, moustaches and Gelli plates spring to mind-but, we are all different- sometimes you can look at a card, and be pretty certain who made it from the style,and thats fine. The whole idea is to enjoy what we do, however you work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
Do you have a style or try everything whether its your taste or not as I do?
I design in colors and styles of the person receiving the card for occassion cards. I also seem to have a cas streak for cards especially thank you and quick notes that I send from me.
I love techniques that are new to me and try just about everything.
I cant seem to settle for a style. Is this the nature of this beast of a hobby or am I a ADD candidate.
I get inspiration from everywhere and although I have been doing this for over five years, I cant seem to settle down to a style or technique. I would love to read your design trends and experiences.
I agree with Bugga � you are just a creative and curious person! That's no crime, in fact, many people wish they could be that kind of person. And just like theater, we get to try on lots of different moods, techniques and looks. No crime in that either!

My art journal has styles all over the place, and I did think: Well I'm not really a "vintage" type person or "shabby chic" crafter, so where did this come from?! But I realize that the whole point of it is exploration, not boxing myself in a corner. I bet your personal style still comes through in the colors and patterns and techniques you choose, so your "signature" style happens without you realizing.

The fun is in the exploring � at least it is for me. I say play on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the things I find myself doing is starting a card that inspired me and putting it aside when it is not working or having a table full of cuts or stamped images left over as I try to put my own spin on the design or technique.

Then I get a day when Im on a roll and just pick up anything on the counter and create a card from it. I finish stacks of started ones and package them for gifts or donations.
I make what I consider some of my best cards from the left overs of designs

I think that is what creativity is all about and seems to be the most fun. No pressure except to clear the countertop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems from your post that you are a very creative person, and open to trying new techniques and styles. How wonderful to never limit yourself! I think that is absolutely amazing and fabulous. Good for you. Many people wish they were as artistically open minded. Your personal style will be evident in your body of work, even if you do not see it now. Enjoy this time and have fun creating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

estamps, I think it's the nature of the beast - at least it is for this beast ;) !

Seriously, I agree that there are so many new techniques and styles to try, no sense in holding yourself back. I have the same tendency with another hobby, and I have been wondering if I should settle into one technique, but I'm enjoying the versatility right now. I say, just go with the flow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 739 Likes on 359 Posts

Worried about what?

Being curious,
creative,
adventurous (some people really are too scared to try new things),
well grounded (some people wont risk failing)
considerate -to make things to the person and not just what you like

I'm not seeing anything there to be worried about

What are you worried about? B/c you have not "settled" into a style or routine? There are a million colors in the world, flavors of ice cream and tea...excersise choice and revel in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

The whole idea is to enjoy what we do, however you work.

Last edited by henrtenaitn; 07-12-2015 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 02:51 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

I always thought I had a style (no glitter - except Christmas- and no cutesy children images etc) which I didn't compromise much and people seemed to like it. I was a purist, sticking mainly to stamping and everything handmade, ...then along came The Customer! 38 individual card commissions to date and boy have I had to abandon some principles! All I can say is thank heavens for Microsoft ClipArt....I mean, when a card is for an Italian who is into football, cooking, carpet bowls (don't ask) and darts....all on one card, yikes. The one that almost flummoxed me was "Congratulations on your degree in Psychology". Er, well.
The lesson for me was - loosen up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 03:22 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

I don't have a style, I don't think. I try to design for the recipient as well. Gosh, there are so many different techniques to try. Must be why I am not bored with it at all. Today, though I am not feeling too creative at all.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

You have NO reason to worry!!! Just go with what makes you happy!
I think your style is just that!......full of experimenting, techniques, stretching your comfort zone, & fun new things!

I'm the opposite. I do not like to create using techniques. I don't try things that are not my taste. I also like repetition and making assembly line cards.

I have a style that is CASE based!

I don't design in the style or color of the recipient. Just mainly use what I like and what I think is unique and beautiful.

My style always has something with an embossing folder.....I like texture.

I have a strong opinion on what colors I like.

I'm still a big fan of SU!

Here's a sample of a card by Lee Conrey and is a good representation of what I like.

I also still love ribbon and I seem to always have rhinestones on my cards!
Attached Thumbnails
Should I be worried?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-14-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes