Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spin-off: Do you join a swap based on who else has joined?

I really like the responses Sara's thread about whether you think it is worth joining a swap is getting. Someone mentioned they check the galleries of others who have joined to see if their work is the same style/quality.

How many of you do this? Do you find it helps make for a better swap? Are you more or less likely to join based on who else is participating?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would be lying if I said I didn't check out the other swappers galleries.

I never use to base my decison on this, but after a few 'not so good' swaps...I did start checking out the galleries first.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, if I ever do decide to join another swap, I will check out galleries first! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My main concern is not the other swappers as it is the hostess and how well she swaps out on time and is firm about the count....I don't like signing up to a swap for ten and then having it bumped to twelve or thirteen because there was a good amount of interest....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
My main concern is not the other swappers as it is the hostess and how well she swaps out on time and is firm about the count....I don't like signing up to a swap for ten and then having it bumped to twelve or thirteen because there was a good amount of interest....
I agree! I belonged to a swap specific yahoo group once and it took FOREVER to get back my Christmas card swaps, and she was the list mom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
I agree! I belonged to a swap specific yahoo group once and it took FOREVER to get back my Christmas card swaps, and she was the list mom!
Ok now that would just stink seeing as they were seasonal and specific!!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Ok now that would just stink seeing as they were seasonal and specific!!! :(
Yeah, finally got them the week before Christmas.....:rolleyes:
The entire group was a bunch of flakers. I hosted a set sampler swap and got ONE out of 12 who signed up... extended the deadline by three days (priority mail time LOL) still not even a response from the others. Ended up sending back the ones from the one girl, with a bunch of RAK's to help with the disappointment. She and I both quit the group and now send a card to each other once a month... So at least something good came out of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Smile hmmmm,

I normally sign up for a swap based on what the swap is about. Meaning, if I get different techniques back or ribbon back or all occasion cards or sampling of all sets (mini, hostess, catalog sneak peaks,etc) as a hobby demo I'm not able to purchase all the sets. Mostly signing up for swaps keeps me in the game of stamping. It gives me an excuse...."Sorry, Honey, I made a committment."...to do what I enjoy doing.

I love bringing all the samples to work and showing off everyone's creativity and find it outstanding that even though all the swaps come from all over there is never a duplicate.

I did sign up for one 6x6 swap A-Z and doing 26+1 6x6's was all I could handle. Probably the fact I went through a lot of cardstock...duh, me I used 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock when I should have just purchased 12x12...four 6x6's to a page versus one and lots of scraps....okay, so it was a learning experience. ;-)

Lately I have stayed with the same hostesses, because as Sereikastamper mentioned timeliness, no flakers, etc. I have overnighted one or two swaps to make the deadline only to wait for others. I still sign up occasional for new hostesses, because I want them to have participants like other swap hostesses do and not to feel left out or ignored. Sometimes that means we just end up mailing samples to each other and that's okay too.

So bottomline, I do swaps to stay fresh, thinking, being ahh'ed by another person's creativity and getting MAIL :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:

I agree with Keri, I have joined tons and tons of swaps and in return have hosted 100+ swaps. If I joined a swap that I have had to wait way past the due date to get it back I won't join with that Hostess anymore. When hosting i put specific rules in place. Granted things happen but as long as i know and can post to everyone I am ok with it. I lay down a due date to have it in my hands. Realistically this doesn't happen much but if the due date comes and i have say 9 out of 10 people and i haven't heard from the 10th then i swap them out. If i have heard from the 10th i will wait a couple days for them.
Also I always over fill my swaps because i hate it when i send it 10 cards and get back 3 of my own. Its my own personal pet peeve. So i always make sure there are over or try. Only a couple times have i had to send back someones card to them. I have also made cards before so I wouldn't have to do this to fill in for someone. Also Communication wether its from the Hostess or participants its needed 100% to make any swap successful.
I read the other thread about why to join a swap because its not worth it. IMO it is worth it to alot of people because even if you arent a demo which i hosts swaps in both forums. Its nice to see what other people can do. Its better to have things in hand then to see them in a gallery. I love to touch/feel cards and have an easier time making them when i can do that. Its a good thing that everyone doesn't feel that way about swaps or they would never fill. I love hosting swaps and love joining swaps. Another reason to join a swap. I joined a Disney Scrapbook page swap well lets face it its hard to come up with that many idea's but i can come up with one idea 11 times so i joined it several times to get my kids books and am glad i did. Almost done with those btw. hehe...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by triciastampinVA
I normally sign up for a swap based on what the swap is about. Meaning, if I get different techniques back or ribbon back or all occasion cards or sampling of all sets (mini, hostess, catalog sneak peaks,etc) as a hobby demo I'm not able to purchase all the sets.
I'm confused! I thought a hobby demo was the same as a regular demo in SU's eyes, or is that not true? Do you have to sell a certain amount of product to be able to pre-order sets and stuff as a hobby demo?

(Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread...I hope no one minds if I ask!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin'_Geer
I'm confused! I thought a hobby demo was the same as a regular demo in SU's eyes, or is that not true? Do you have to sell a certain amount of product to be able to pre-order sets and stuff as a hobby demo?

Hobby demo basically doesn't sell to anyone else like regular demos. I am a hobby demo and i am my own best customer so to speak. I don't have time to go out and demo etc. You still have to sell the same amount of product as regular demos and you still get all the benefits as regular demos. hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Smile Sorry,

Sorry, my fault for the confusion. As a hobby demo, I don't have the revenue coming in which would allow me to purchase all of the stamp sets. Yes, in the eyes of SU! we're all the same. It's just not having enough personal revenue to purchase all the stamp sets that I would like, so swapping gives me the sampling of all the stamp sets without having to purchase all of them.

P.S. Another great idea is image swapping. That's when someone that already has the stamp set, stamps images for you on cardstock that you send them and when you get the stamped images back you can use the images anyway you like without having to purchase all of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin'_Geer

I don't mind!

I think she means since as a hobbyist she has a smaller stamp budget. SU doesn't restrict who/what can be purchased as far as I know.

I know there are sets that I LOVE from the minis but I am hesitant to pump a lot of money on those sets since they are only around for 3 months and MAY not make the next catty. So a mini swap is PERFECT to get those samples....
I think that may be what she meant as well...

ETA: we replied at the same time and pretty much said the same thing LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I never even gave that a thought.the thing is a lot of people need to realize is when you are a beginner you join swaps to learn from others.so if advanced people only join a swap and no new beginners join .then how will they ever advance if people do do this.Remember we were all beginners at 1 time too.and we all learned by seeing other peoples artwork.Yes I agree sometimes you will get things you don't always want but.that's how we learn.

Maybe when you post a swap give a link to a persons gallery and have them go to the gallery to look at other peoples ideas.if you are holding a swap doing the same thing so the beginners have an idea of how you want them to look if you are looking for certain specifications on a swap you are holding.

to answer your question? I usually sign up for a swap for cards that I need.like if I am running low on kids birthdya cards for example.or techniques ,since you can never have enough techniques to learn but Haven't found 1 here where there are mnay new ones they all seem to be the same old techniques over and over again.Or not many swaps now with a lot of new challenges .you have to go to the challenge sections on scs and do 1 yourself then post it so others will see it.I would like to have 1 in the swaps section more often.Too many recipe swaps going on right now.

Doesn't seem to be hardly any scrapbooking swap any more.I miss them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree with Tricia above about much of what she said. Also, I don't have a gallery, but I do think people get a reputation here (bad or good). I never host. There are a few swappers who I will admit I am disappointed to see in the same group as me from time to time -- because some just are late each time and then their work is so rushed. I was late on two swaps this month -- which is highly unusual for me and made me feel like I paid a bill late or something! I was overwhelmed, but I know I do good work, and I really put my heart into it, with the best of supplies, etc. Then it's hard to receive rushed, stained or not so decent work in return. I am finding that -- other than techniques or whatever -- I am signing up for less cards and more other kinds of swaps. Even if I don't always like the work, the recipes are fun, the little gifts are fun for ideas, etc. - Gay Howe

Last edited by gv-copperdog; 05-16-2006 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

It seems as though my comment from the other thread has initiated a spin off. It has been interesting to see everyone's opinions on the swaps and to read about the advice and good tips when participating. I still love swapping and that is why I started to host. I wish I could find enough people locally who also like to swap but that has been hard so that is why I love SCS so much. Great people and great ideas...what a combination.
SCS Sketch Challenge Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by triciastampinVA
Sorry, my fault for the confusion. As a hobby demo, I don't have the revenue coming in which would allow me to purchase all of the stamp sets. Yes, in the eyes of SU! we're all the same. It's just not having enough personal revenue to purchase all the stamp sets that I would like, so swapping gives me the sampling of all the stamp sets without having to purchase all of them.

P.S. Another great idea is image swapping. That's when someone that already has the stamp set, stamps images for you on cardstock that you send them and when you get the stamped images back you can use the images anyway you like without having to purchase all of them.
Gotcha!

Whew! You scared me there! I was thinking of becoming a hobby demo, and have been for a long time, and I thought that if you don't get the same benefits as a regular demo then it isn't worth it. All cleared up now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

I don't join based on who has signed up - I join based on my interest in the swap. However, that being said: I'm forever grateful that when I first started swapping no one told me my stuff was ugly (and some were!). I think swaps have helped me get better. Now if I get a swap back and somethings are not to my liking I just take them apart and use the parts I like for something else.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Am I the only one here who is too nervous to join a swap?

Maybe I've just read one too many threads about how people hate getting the crappy cards, but I would be too worried about being "that person" to join one. I'd stress out about it instead of thinking of it as a fun thing to do. Since I stamp for fun, I figure I don't need the stress and bypass the swaps completely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

How many of you do this? Do you find it helps make for a better swap? Are you more or less likely to join based on who else is participating?
I never have, but if I had I probably would have been much happier with some of the results, and not stopped swapping altogether!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I don't check to see who has joined. I look for swaps that are of interest to me, either specific stamps, techniques or themes.

Last year I was a beginner, a very inexperienced beginner, when I joined some swaps from here. I had no idea that I would receive such great items, with great workmanship, creativeness and the wonderful ideas behind each item. I truely appreciated the fact that I was made welcome, even though, my swap items were not up to par to any of the ones I received back. The hostesses were most helpful and very timely in sending back the swaps. I was impressed with all of them.

To me, part of the "thrill" of swapping is making new friends, seeing ideas "in person" and learning how to do things differently. There is not a stamp store or group in my town, so I consider SCS my "teaching institution" and each member a teacher from whom to learn something new.

Kathy A
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I really like the responses Sara's thread about whether you think it is worth joining a swap is getting. Someone mentioned they check the galleries of others who have joined to see if their work is the same style/quality.

Acutally yes in a way. When I first started scrapbooking I used to do a lot online on another site - borders, page kits, etc. I found that it REALLY varied and I sometimes got things that I would never use. So I stopped doing that. When I was a SU demo I did swaps all the time every month at my uplines get-togethers and that was great since we all had similar abilities and there was more pressure because we brought them in person, LOL. I would only do it that way again and I have stopped doing a lot of swaps because I found I was spending a lot of time doing them when I could have been doing them for family members (gift boxes of notecards), etc. But it did get me used to doing things in assembly line fashion!!

I love shoebox swaps. I think those are the BEST to do with a group -- everybody brings their cardfront sample and all the stuff to do it precut or whatever and then everybody stamps their own, adheres their own, etc. Room to deviate if need be!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by trefoil
Maybe I've just read one too many threads about how people hate getting the crappy cards, but I would be too worried about being "that person" to join one. I'd stress out about it instead of thinking of it as a fun thing to do. Since I stamp for fun, I figure I don't need the stress and bypass the swaps completely.
Don't be nervous joining a swap. Everyone has to start somewhere. You learn as you go along and you get some great ideas!! Just jump on in, and be careful it becomes VERY addicting!!!!!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

deetoh... I don't go lookin' at participants' galleries. I just like it when the parameters are set by the hostess and then kept.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 05:56 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you're nervous about joining a swap, but would really like to, look for a small swap to start. Not all of them are 20-50+ cards! Try for 6 or 8, with maybe a longer lead time.

I don't ever get cards I can't use...please feel free to join any swap I'M in, lol! I mostly do swaps for mini catalog sets, so I can have cards to put on display boards. The way I look at it, all skill levels are welcome, because my stampers are by no means experts themselves. I want them to look at cards they feel like they can make, too....not just the drop dead gorgeous ones.

Try it...you'll have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by trefoil

Nope you're not the only one. I've been lurking in the swap forum to see if there was anything which might fit my stamping abilities. But having read this and the other thread I am getting second thoughts about wanting to sign up.

If I had the time I could be tempted to set up a newbie stamper only, low pressure swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialpurrs
Nope you're not the only one. I've been lurking in the swap forum to see if there was anything which might fit my stamping abilities. But having read this and the other thread I am getting second thoughts about wanting to sign up.

If I had the time I could be tempted to set up a newbie stamper only, low pressure swap.
Don't be afraid to sign up! I personally like getting a variety of cards, all at different "abilities". Most of my customers are the "new to intermediate" with more of a tilt towards new.

Sometimes I personally get too "overwhelming" when I do a make and take. I am so excited to share that I forget that some in the group are brand new and are intimidated by the "fancier" stuff.

I LOVE getting simple, well made cards that I can use as ideas for make and takes. Sometimes the cards I use the most are the simpler ones. So please don't be intimidated, that isn't my intent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I never base joining a swap on who else is in it. I base it on my use of the swap items and whether or not people are using SU c/s. I don't like other c/s.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I love swapping, but
* I check the dates -- limit myself to one swap per month.
* check the subject matter -- I like to swap a new technique or a different catgory of cards.

BTW I am signed up for a Wedding Card Swap. She still has lots of spaces.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes