Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stamp conversion (from wood to clear)

Does anyone have any informatiion to share or know where I can find info on how to convert my wood mounted stamps to clear stamps. I saw some instructions on someone's blog, but forgot to note where it was. There is probably already a thread about this somewhere, but this is my first time here, and am not real sure what I'm doing! Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard! This is a wonderful, helpful, informative community.

You might start with the link I posted below. It is results from a search I did for "unmounting" by using the search function found at the upper left portion of the screen (click the little triangle next to it to drop down a box where you can type in your own keywords, if you want).

This link should get you started. There are a lot of threads found that seem irrelevant. It might help to look at the right side of the page to see which forum it came from. I would look for ones such as "General Stamping" and "Mission Organization".

Hope this helps as a starter.

Link to search for unmounting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you so much for your help. I had seen a YouTube video before, but couldn't remember where it came from (I saw it on someone's blog). When I followed your directions, I found that video. Now I'm off to take a look at your work - one of the main reasons I joined in the first place. I'm always amazed at the beautiful work others do, and gain inspiration that helps me find different ideas to apply to my own work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Hello there,
I have removed my stamps from the wooden block by placing them in the microwave for just 30seconds, they peel off easily, then I just place them on an acrylic block and stamp away, no problems.
( I'm not sure if this is what you wanted to know but thought I'd mention it just in case.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,199 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the youtube video you've already watched, but I think it's one of the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyloverView Post
Hello there,
I have removed my stamps from the wooden block by placing them in the microwave for just 30seconds, they peel off easily, then I just place them on an acrylic block and stamp away, no problems.
( I'm not sure if this is what you wanted to know but thought I'd mention it just in case.)
Do you need to use a product like Alene's Take It Over and over to keep it sticky? Just wondering because I plan on converting some wood mount in the future.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the info about the microwave. Some of my stamps are real new and I would imagine they would be a little harder to remove from the foam. I have been studying some of the videos on YouTube and a lot of people have used the cling foam that is available from SU and the film on the non-sticky side will stick to the acrylic blocks. Right now I'm waiting for my StazOn ink to arrive; I thought I had some, but there's none in that drawer - rats!! But I ordered the cling foam and some clamshell cases. If I can get good at this I'm hoping to get all of my non-SU stamps converted as well. I have tons of stamps that I've had for years, and now that I'm retired I can start making good use of what I've spent my spare change on for years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyloverView Post
Hello there,
Hi Teresa, nice to see you here!! lol

I keep thinking about removing my rubber stamps from the wood but just can't bring myself to do it! I know it will free up a lot of space but I quite like having the wooden block with the image on as I use it sometimes as a guide to colouring the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:21 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

The video I found showed how to stamp the image on the cling foam so that you would still have that guide. There are several videos on YouTube that explain the process and give several options, but they all show a way to have the image to guide you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hinesvilleView Post
The video I found showed how to stamp the image on the cling foam so that you would still have that guide. There are several videos on YouTube that explain the process and give several options, but they all show a way to have the image to guide you.
Yes, I think that's the one I posted in #5 here. She stamps the image first on the foam (But you must use Staz-on ink or the image will smear or wipe off). Then you remove it from the wood. The video makes it more understandable. But I've done a couple of sets and just don't think I want to do all my sets. It's not only more money for something I already had but also sticky and time consuming. I am buying all clear mount now for the space savings, even though I loved wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 99% of my wood stamps unmounted. I store them in CD cases. I didn't buy EZMount, but instead purchased enough TackNPeel to cover my acrylic blocks. I don't use a microwave but rather just peel off the rubber and foam. I then peel the sticker off the block and put it on the foam. I find I need/want the visual of the sticker when I stamp, and even though it isn't always exactly in the right place, I can usually get it pretty close.

The TackNPeel seems to stay sticky for a long time. I haven't replaced any yet and I've had it on all of my blocks for a couple of years now. I store all of my stamps except backgrounds in CD cases. I have my backgrounds unmounted and use my large empty clam shells to store them. If you have a lot of stamps you will save a lot of money by not going the EZMount method. Covering all of your blocks is probably going to be a lot cheaper than covering all of your stamps. Good luck with whatever method you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use the Alenes Tack it over and over and it works great. You just have to let them set overnight, and don't put "a lot" on there.

You can also use it to re-stick your Cricut mat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Do you need to use a product like Alene's Take It Over and over to keep it sticky? Just wondering because I plan on converting some wood mount in the future.

Thanks!

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that the Tack n Peel is so strong - that it has been peeling off the stickers from the stamps. So I am sort of converting to the Tack It Over and Over.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Welcome to Splitcoast!!

I'm also in the process of going unmounted. I'm about 75% done.

I started out using the method where you peel off your wood mount stickers and place them on the back of the existing foam and then applying Alene's tack it over and over on the back and letting it dry. If you are using this method microwaving for a few seconds really does help separate the foam from the wood block. I was not completely satisfied with this method. Sometimes the Alene's was stronger than the adhesive holding the sticker and my sticker would stick to the case instead of my foam.

A few weeks ago, I switched to the cling mount foam method. I'm not stamping the image on the back, but I don't mind not having the image. I have a complete index of all my stamps. I use a hot knife to cut the foam and now unmounting has become kind of fun and a lot faster. For this method put your stamps in the freezer, if you are having trouble separating the rubber from the foam (the longer in the freezer the better for stubborn ones). The drawback to this method is the extra cost of buying the cling mount.

Good luck with your project. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
I have found that the Tack n Peel is so strong - that it has been peeling off the stickers from the stamps. So I am sort of converting to the Tack It Over and Over.
Cathy, the tack-it method can also be strong enough to pull the stickers off your stamps. You can get rid of some of the tackiness of the Alene's by sticking it on the back of your hand a few times once the Alene's has dried and before you put your stamps away. I find with the Alene's method that sometimes my stickers stick to the case and sometimes they fall down in the case. There doesn't seem to be a perfect medium. Anyway, that's why I switched to the cling mount method. I hope the Alene's method works better for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the information - that is why I diluted the TIO&O with water - so far they are all sticking fine to the storage panels I am using - but I will have to remember your warning and will have to try them out (the ones I have done) before I continue with the rest. I have been temporarily diverted from the big project of converting from wood - it may take me years to get it done!!!!!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #17  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
Thanks for the information - that is why I diluted the TIO&O with water - so far they are all sticking fine to the storage panels I am using - but I will have to remember your warning and will have to try them out (the ones I have done) before I continue with the rest. I have been temporarily diverted from the big project of converting from wood - it may take me years to get it done!!!!!
Cathy, I had not heard about diluting the adhesive with water. Interesting! It does take forever and a day to get them unmounted. I hope to get mine finished by the end of the year. I started over a year ago. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

My plan is to sell off a LARGE portion of my wood mounted stamps and keep just a few, maybe a dozen stamp sets. I figure that will make the unmounting job so much easier. And from this day forward, as God is my witness, I will never buy mounted again! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
My plan is to sell off a LARGE portion of my wood mounted stamps and keep just a few, maybe a dozen stamp sets. I figure that will make the unmounting job so much easier. And from this day forward, as God is my witness, I will never buy mounted again! ;)
I did put some of my wood mount in the sell pile and as I got to each set I analyzed again whether I really *needed* or not. I still ended up with a lot to unmount. I hope that you can do better than me in this regard.

I do not buy woodmount anymore either, unless there is no other option. Then I unmount right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Default Stamp conversion

I just completed unmounting all of my stamps! I used diluted Aleenes TIOO, dries quickly and works great. I saw one stamper's post who was reluctant to unmount because she didn't want to lose the coloring guide on the wood mount. I didn't either but solved the problem by just putting them on my printer/ scanner/Copier and made color copies. Now I put the images (stamped or copied) in a page protector and my stamps on another page in the same location. I put all of my pages in 3 ring plastic binder boxes which stack or sit on a shelf nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrambeckyView Post
I just completed unmounting all of my stamps! I used diluted Aleenes TIOO, dries quickly and works great. I saw one stamper's post who was reluctant to unmount because she didn't want to lose the coloring guide on the wood mount. I didn't either but solved the problem by just putting them on my printer/ scanner/Copier and made color copies. Now I put the images (stamped or copied) in a page protector and my stamps on another page in the same location. I put all of my pages in 3 ring plastic binder boxes which stack or sit on a shelf nicely.
What is the recipe for diluting the Aleene's tack it over and over?
How many parts water to how many parts Aleene's?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 248 Likes on 188 Posts

Thanks to all the helpful suggestions here at SCS, I am also unmounting my rubber stamps down to the image (sore fingers :() and have done an Excel spreadsheet listing the stamp name, part number, stamp company, year made, category (ex:holidays),cd case# it's in, and comments. I can then look up any stamp I need and find the stamp. I also took a photo of the wood stamps with their images and attached that photo to each cd, along with a copy of all the info on the stamps. Seems a bit over the top, but I hate trying to find that one stamp and not being able to. What do I do with all the wooden blocks with images on them? I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

From one stamper who has done what you are currently doing, and doing all that you have done is not over the top. It's super organized!!! Might I suggest putting your cd cases in containers marked "Christmas", "Halloween", "All Occasions", etc...

I found that it really helps me when I am doing a project to narrow it down further via that way. My binder, is set up the same way, with dividers based on my boxes, and a copy of the sets are in each tab.

Best of luck to you!!! Great job too!

As for the wooden blocks, I throw mine away. I couldn't find anyone in my area that wanted them because of the glue on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty JuliaView Post
Thanks to all the helpful suggestions here at SCS, I am also unmounting my rubber stamps down to the image (sore fingers :() and have done an Excel spreadsheet listing the stamp name, part number, stamp company, year made, category (ex:holidays),cd case# it's in, and comments. I can then look up any stamp I need and find the stamp. I also took a photo of the wood stamps with their images and attached that photo to each cd, along with a copy of all the info on the stamps. Seems a bit over the top, but I hate trying to find that one stamp and not being able to. What do I do with all the wooden blocks with images on them? I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks!

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Took all of mine off years ago all the way to bare rubber! A dab of Aileen's TIO&O and they have been fine ever since! Love bare rubber on my acrylic block and I get a perfect image every time...Way less storage issues!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes