Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #81  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I ended up getting the WRMK one since it's so cheap with a coupon, and I'm guilty of being a collector. So far I'm not thrilled with the pegs. Maybe I'm used to being able to glance away when closing a lid? Maybe I'll get used to them.

And I wonder about the longevity of the four rubber (or rubberish) pieces that provide the "give," since they'll be pushed and compressed repeatedly. Will they crack or break? Only time will tell. They're just seated in the holes, so it should be simple to change them out.I wonder if extras will be sold. Maybe I'll email American Crafts to ask.

Since WRMK was purchased by American Crafts, they seem to come out with new tools like hotcakes. I have two tools that were included in Stamp & SB Expo classes the last two years that could have used a little more thought and manufacturing precision.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 977 Likes on 476 Posts

That’s too bad about the two tools... are they just not holding up well or ...?

Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I ended up getting the WRMK one since it's so cheap with a coupon, and I'm guilty of being a collector. So far I'm not thrilled with the pegs. Maybe I'm used to being able to glance away when closing a lid? Maybe I'll get used to them.

And I wonder about the longevity of the four rubber (or rubberish) pieces that provide the "give," since they'll be pushed and compressed repeatedly. Will they crack or break? Only time will tell. They're just seated in the holes, so it should be simple to change them out.I wonder if extras will be sold. Maybe I'll email American Crafts to ask.

Since WRMK was purchased by American Crafts, they seem to come out with new tools like hotcakes. I have two tools that were included in Stamp & SB Expo classes the last two years that could have used a little more thought and manufacturing precision.

I was thinking of getting the WRMK – just haven’t found ajustification yet for another platform. I admit that I am a collector too. I have the regular and mini Misti – used the regular, but thought it was delicate. Then Tim came out with his platform and I pre-ordered it before the lawsuit. Of course, the lawsuit delayed things and I was getting impatient so I ordered one from overseas. So, now I have two regular and one travel platform from Tim. I will admit that I really do like Tim’s over the Misti – personal preference.

After reading the news that Tonic was going to stop selling Tim’s platform I was a little sad, but who knows, maybe the two together can come up something even better.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
That’s too bad about the two tools... are they just not holding up well or ...?
OT! Last year the planner punch board was one of the tools. Punches are removable since there are different kinds - spiral, disc, etc. But the punches don't all fit in the storage slot. You have to tilt one. Less than 1/8" wider and they'd fit. The instructor was shaking her head about that.

A Happy Jig was given out this year, among other things. It's a base with pegs to wrap wire around to make shapes and words. The pegs can be so difficult to remove, the base has to be turned upside down and the peg hit with something. Lots of banging in class! lol Others want to fall out.

I didn't care - it wasn't something I would use, and donated it. (And there are better made ones.) It just may speak to a lack of concern.

OTOH, I adore their envelope punch board. The first batch had an error, which was corrected, and people have come up with better measurements for one size, but it's a desert island tool.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 07-20-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Rubber Obsessor

I made my own stamp positioner from a CD case, piece of craft foam, a bit of double sided tape, a card sized piece of sheet metal and some magnets. All stuff I had already, so total cost 0$, and about 10 minutes of assembly time. I love my mini CD stamp positioner! It's so small it fits in my embossing powder box, almost pocket sized.

Plenty of videos out there on how to make full sized ones too, for much less than what the craft store will charge you. As a bonus, you need never fear if something breaks because you can make a new one, or repair it yourself. The version that uses an IKEA hinged picture frame looks particularly good. I may end up making that one too.

I don't understand how anyone can charge so much for something that's been in regular use in the printing industry - it's essentially the same idea as a silk screen printing platform - and that can be readily constructed by anyone with the most rudimentary of skills.
Rubber Obsessor

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

There are lots of things that are very simple to make and use materials we all have - but someone figures out how to use the items better or differently, applies for a patent and then makes tons of money. I’ve kicked myself over several “inventions” that are similar to things my husband has Magivered together - but he didn’t apply for a patent. My Sweet Petunia legally applied for a patent - which is hard to get. It was legally done, and she’s made stamping much easier for many of us. It’s another example of “wish I had thought of it first”. I wish her all the best, and I’m grateful she made learning how to stamp much easier for me.
Gallery Gazer

Just for fun, this is from 2011 - using the WRMK Letterpress - a plastic lid hinged to a base - as a stamping platform. You have to scroll waaaay down past the photos of it being used as a printing press before you get to the photos/text using it as a stamping platform, but I�ll post one photo.

Letterpress | L Letterpress from Lifestyle Crafts - Scrapbook Update

Last edited by bjeans; 07-21-2018 at 05:51 AM..
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
I made my own stamp positioner from a CD case, piece of craft foam, a bit of double sided tape, a card sized piece of sheet metal and some magnets. All stuff I had already, so total cost 0$, and about 10 minutes of assembly time. I love my mini CD stamp positioner! It's so small it fits in my embossing powder box, almost pocket sized.

Plenty of videos out there on how to make full sized ones too, for much less than what the craft store will charge you. As a bonus, you need never fear if something breaks because you can make a new one, or repair it yourself. The version that uses an IKEA hinged picture frame looks particularly good. I may end up making that one too.

I don't understand how anyone can charge so much for something that's been in regular use in the printing industry - it's essentially the same idea as a silk screen printing platform - and that can be readily constructed by anyone with the most rudimentary of skills.
Some people who posted photos or videos of home-made versions were told they�d be contacted by an attorney, so some were removed out of fear. An LSS owner in the UK told me that happened to one of her employees, and I�d read some back and forth posts on a forum. So that can put a damper on making a homemade version.

As for price, it�s always what the market will bear for anything, right?

I like the convenience (due to laziness and uncertainty?) of buying a tool that�s precise, so like my Misti�s - and Tims, and maybe I�ll like the WRMK new one with more use. But it�s completely absurd to have five. At least I don�t have six, since I got rid of the earlier WRMK one!
Gallery Gazer

Fair enough. I didn’t like it. As to $$, just differences in what people are willing to spend their money for. I realized the other day at a class that I was nervous when needing to stamp a big image on a journal page without a platform, and waited to get home to stamp large words from alpha letters on the cover so I could use one. Your home-made platform sounds great - and cute, being so small!
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Some people who posted photos or videos of home-made versions were told they�d be contacted by an attorney, so some were removed out of fear. An LSS owner in the UK told me that happened to one of her employees, and I�d read some back and forth posts on a forum. So that can put a damper on making a homemade version.

As for price, it�s always what the market will bear for anything, right?

I like the convenience (due to laziness and uncertainty?) of buying a tool that�s precise, so like my Misti�s - and Tims, and maybe I�ll like the WRMK new one with more use. But it�s completely absurd to have five. At least I don�t have six, since I got rid of the earlier WRMK one!
If they were trying to sell their homemade platforms, I can maybe, possibly see why they'd get a warning. If they're just showing, "Hey, look what I can do!" then I agree - bullying. Our world has become so litigious it's ridiculous. "Politically correct" has become one of the phrases I hate most (along with "it's the principal of the thing", but that's another story).

VeronaSue (12-17-2023)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #91  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by randellynView Post
I wonder if Tonic will produce the MISTI or between the two companies, they'll create a new platform utilizing features from both? I was surprised that Tonic came out with the TH brand since the MISTI owner made a special Tim color for his MISTI (a gift). I view the TH Platform and MISTI as two separate tools, especially since the features of the TH one is so much different than the MISTI. Can you imagine this all happening with companies who make die cutting machines, punches or other types of tools that perform similarly?

Jennifer McGuire contacted the MISTI owner and asked her to make the special color for Tim. He had nothing to do with it.

Personally, I don't think these two companies will work together. I think it was just Tonic being professional about the whole situation. If I had to guess, I am thinking all those other similar platforms may follow the path of Tim's to avoid additional lawsuits... her lawyers are smart and they went after the biggest competitor she had. She threatened to sue many other times before she went after Tim Holtz.
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
If they were trying to sell their homemade platforms, I can maybe, possibly see why they'd get a warning. If they're just showing, "Hey, look what I can do!" then I agree - bullying. Our world has become so litigious it's ridiculous. "Politically correct" has become one of the phrases I hate most (along with "it's the principle of the thing", but that's another story).

I saw the thread on another board. The gentleman is older/retired and couldn't afford the MISTI so he showed what he used to make his own... NOT the finished product. He wasn't trying to sell anything... he was just proud that he came up with a solution of not being able to afford one.

That single post changed my opinion of MSP.
VeronaSue (12-17-2023)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #93  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is SU going to get sued now? I mean, if she is suing everyone else who is competing with her product, seems only natural they would be next in line to get served.
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
Personally, I don't think these two companies will work together. I think it was just Tonic being professional about the whole situation.
Not true! They are going to be working together and are both pleased about it.

A reminder - negative posts about human beings are a violation of our site posting rules and can result in a ban from the site. Please be kind and try to make the crafting community a better place with your content.
Rubber Obsessor

I've never come across any videos/blogs where people were trying to sell their home-made stamp positioners. That doesn't mean that it's never happened of course, only that I haven't found any. All the videos I've seen have been 'hey look this is a neat thing and here's how it's made', and often adapts the size or features to suit particular crafting needs, projects or supplies they have available. It's really amazing how creative some people get!

If you do enough stamping and have the budget to justify purchasing a MISTI or its alternatives, more power to you! It just doesn't fit into my thrifty crafting lifestyle.

If I post a picture of my own DIY version, am I going to get told off for it? While I'd be happy to share, I'd rather not upset anyone.
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd love to see it, Embri. It's always fun to see creative interpretations, lol! I can't imagine why anyone should get upset at you for just posting a picture of your own idea as long as you're not selling either it or plans to make it.
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Not true! They are going to be working together and are both pleased about it.

A reminder - negative posts about human beings are a violation of our site posting rules and can result in a ban from the site. Please be kind and try to make the crafting community a better place with your content.
I didn't say anything negative... just that MY opinion of someone had changed when I read one particular thread. The post was in reply to others' posts about bullying and lawsuits.

Is this about my particular post or the subject in general? I haven't seen you comment on a separate post in this thread on this topic and it seems to be my post on the subject you chose to make a point on.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 07-21-2018 at 05:25 PM..
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I believe we're discussing a company here. Although it's a sole proprietorship, it is still a business. If we were discussing the owner of McDonald's, I don't think there would be a problem. People discuss politicians over on NSBR without being given a warning, so I'm not sure that I understand the problem with discussing the owner of a business and her business practices. And since you mentioned being kind, I'd like to add: I don't like bullies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I believe we're discussing a company here. Although it's a sole proprietorship, it is still a business. If we were discussing the owner of McDonald's, I don't think there would be a problem. People discuss politicians over on NSBR without being given a warning, so I'm not sure that I understand the problem with discussing the owner of a business and her business practices. And since you mentioned being kind, I'd like to add: I don't like bullies.

It doesn't matter.

Human beings own companies and our rules are quite clear. It would absolutely apply if you were discussing the owner of McDonald's or a politician.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

So, if I'm reading this correctly, we are not allowed to talk about any company that only has one owner. That may not be bullying, but it smacks of personal favoritism. No one was actually talking about any owner. They were all discussing companies.

Incorrect. And since this is no longer about stamping, I'm closing this thread.

The rules are simple, and I'd encourage everyone to read them.

Please do not talk negatively about humans. It's a good life rule too.

You can discuss products to your heart's content, which is what this site is here for.

But we do preserve our culture by drawing the line at talking about people in a negative way.

Back to stamping