Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2024, 09:52 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 829 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Sticky Mats

Which Sticky Mat do Y'alll prefer? Altenew? Waffle flower? Or some other brand?

I've fallen in love with layering stencils and would like to purchase a mat. I like the looks of the Waffle Flower sticky mat, I feel the Altenew is kind of busy with all those bumps. I also don't think I'd need the stamp wheel thingy that you put the sticky mat in. I just want the mat for stenciling and to put in my Stamperatus.... I think.

Can you share your experienes?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by sc magnolia:
DancesWithHooves (05-07-2024), pepperann (05-04-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 03:45 PM   #2  

Received 282 Likes on 167 Posts

There are a variety of “sticky mats” on the market. Sizzix has a paper version, available in at least two different sizes, with a printed grid. If you get the size large enough for your stencils, the stencils will stay in place. Then there is the plastic kind that Brutus Monroe, Taylored Expressions, Scrapbook.com, and probably other companies offer. It works similarly to the Sizzix product, but is plastic, and has a cover film to remove and replace. Many are made in sizes to fit the MISTI, both regular and mini. Then there are the newer photopolymer style that Waffle Flower and Altenew make. I have one of each. I like the tackiness (stickiness) of the Altenew product for stenciling. I find that the tackiness (stickiness) of the Waffle Flower product is less than that of the Altenew product, but it works great in my MISTi for holding cardstock in place when stamping with photopolymer stamps, and I generally don’t need to use the magnets with any of these listed products in my MISTI. One more option is using Pixie Spray on your stencils. It is a low-tack spray adhesive that is designed to provide a repositioning and reusing opportunity. Some people also use it to spray the cutting mats for their Silhouettes or Brothers or Cricuts machines when their mats lose the initial tack. So many options on the market!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by ozarkstamper:
gobarb26 (Yesterday), janesprando (05-08-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:16 PM   #3  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
There are a variety of “sticky mats” on the market. Sizzix has a paper version, available in at least two different sizes, with a printed grid. If you get the size large enough for your stencils, the stencils will stay in place. Then there is the plastic kind that Brutus Monroe, Taylored Expressions, Scrapbook.com, and probably other companies offer. It works similarly to the Sizzix product, but is plastic, and has a cover film to remove and replace. Many are made in sizes to fit the MISTI, both regular and mini. Then there are the newer photopolymer style that Waffle Flower and Altenew make. I have one of each. I like the tackiness (stickiness) of the Altenew product for stenciling. I find that the tackiness (stickiness) of the Waffle Flower product is less than that of the Altenew product, but it works great in my MISTi for holding cardstock in place when stamping with photopolymer stamps, and I generally don’t need to use the magnets with any of these listed products in my MISTI. One more option is using Pixie Spray on your stencils. It is a low-tack spray adhesive that is designed to provide a repositioning and reusing opportunity. Some people also use it to spray the cutting mats for their Silhouettes or Brothers or Cricuts machines when their mats lose the initial tack. So many options on the market!
thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
ozarkstamper (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:29 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
Then there are the newer photopolymer style that Waffle Flower and Altenew make. I have one of each. I like the tackiness (stickiness) of the Altenew product for stenciling.
Which Altenew photopolymer mat do you have? The Ultra Sticky Mat, or the Low Tack Sticky Mat?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2024, 11:14 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a sticky mat but there isn't any stick (I see from the above comments that its low tack to begin with) - suggestions on how to make it sticky again?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
ZPAW Now (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #6  

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneDevotedDameView Post
Which Altenew photopolymer mat do you have? The Ultra Sticky Mat, or the Low Tack Sticky Mat?
I honestly don’t remember which one I purchased. I’ve had it for over a year, and have since thrown out the packaging. I *think* it was the Ultra, but really not certain.

Edited to say that I found the cardboard insert that came with my mat, and it says Ultra.

Last edited by ozarkstamper; 05-03-2024 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 05:18 PM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
thank you so much!
You’re welcome!

If you choose the Altenew product, lay it against the base of your Stamparatus grid side down. You won’t notice any bumps, as that leaves the smooth side up on which to place your stencil. Or use the sticky mat against your glass mat or desktop surface where you work. It should stick in place. And if you find that it is a bit too large for the base of the Stamparatus, it is easy to trim down to size with a sharp pair of scissors. I think the Waffle Flower product would also be easy to trim down if needed, as it appears to be essentially the same material, but is smooth on both sides.
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-03-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 04:03 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a sticky mat??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2024, 11:11 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

to Debbie Koch:

It is a paper or other material with stickiness on both sides - used to gently adhere to a stamplng platform, your table, etc. and the upper sticky side holds your paper and stencil in place while you color the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2024, 02:05 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Ah. thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2024, 03:37 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve been using the Altenew (low tack) mat for stenciling and ink blending and it works great. I have the Waffle Flower one in my MISTI but like how the Altenew one is easier to remove from my glass mat. I’m thinking about getting the 9x12 version.
I thought I could use my gel plate for this but it didn’t work quite as well as I had hoped. Hmmm…does someone have too many toys?!
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (Yesterday)
Old 05-09-2024, 04:26 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I have both the MISTI and the Scrapbook.com sticky mats and use them interchangeably. I also have the smaller Sizzix sticky sheets (actually started with those quite a while ago) and like those as well. I usually stick one to my mini-MakeArtStation and use it to hold the card in place while placing layers, embellishments, etc. I really couldn't tell you which one I like best, I like them all. To be honest, at this point, I'd probably pick based on price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2024, 05:05 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

So sticky mats are used with the glass mat to keep cardstock in place?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2024, 06:08 AM   #14  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie KochView Post
So sticky mats are used with the glass mat to keep cardstock in place?
They can be. They can be used on metal, glass, plastic, Formica countertops, probably any desktop work surface.
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:58 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the sticky mat from Misti, but my paper stuck to it & ripped (after i was finished of course). I still can't get the little bits of paper off. I tried Brutus Monroe but it wasn't sticky enough! I've afraid to try others. I use a silicone baking mat on top of my desk as my work area. I guess I'm ok using painter tape stuck to mat instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2024, 11:05 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshatzmaView Post
I bought the sticky mat from Misti, but my paper stuck to it & ripped (after i was finished of course). I still can't get the little bits of paper off. I tried Brutus Monroe but it wasn't sticky enough! ... ...
I also have the sticky from My Sweet Petunia. After having the first cut cardstock tear when trying to remove the c/s from the mat, I patted a piece of t-shirt fabric all over the mat to soften the tack factor. Lint-free fabric is a nice helper here.

Additionally, I prefer the mat with the 1/8" grid lines. The MSPetunia pack has 3 mats, but only one has 1/8" lines. I never use the others as these eyes need every bit of alignment help possible.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 05-14-2024 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (05-14-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 11:54 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshatzmaView Post
I bought the sticky mat from Misti, but my paper stuck to it & ripped (after i was finished of course). I still can't get the little bits of paper off. I tried Brutus Monroe but it wasn't sticky enough! I've afraid to try others. I use a silicone baking mat on top of my desk as my work area. I guess I'm ok using painter tape stuck to mat instead.
I haven't tried misti sticky mat. I have a light grip and a tacky mat from other brands.
I read some time ago of people having a problem with getting paper off of sticky mats.
The trick is to bend sticky mat until paper starts to lift off, Grab an end and slowly peal off mat.
Hope this helps you out.
Reply With Quote Likes
stampforjoy (05-24-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 04:20 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

I still haven't taken the plunge and gotten one. I just use my washi tape and pray it doesn't tear when I take it off. LOL

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (Yesterday)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:03 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I still haven't taken the plunge and gotten one. I just use my washi tape and pray it doesn't tear when I take it off. LOL
My washi tape is really hit-or-miss with tearing cardstock. I hate using the expensive stuff because I feel like it needs to be showcased on a finished card, but then I hate using the cheap stuff because it's more likely to tear. :-/

I've tried Scotch removable tape (which is great for die cutting), but it won't stick to my work surface (or the stencil). I *do* use it for masking, though.

Why can't I just have a magical adhesive that sticks as much as I need it to, switches from dry to liquid and back again, dries to whatever finish I need, and releases on command without damage or residue? :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
Alice in Md (05-11-2024), InkyTexan (05-10-2024), whim6915 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:33 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneDevotedDameView Post
My washi tape is really hit-or-miss with tearing cardstock. I hate using the expensive stuff because I feel like it needs to be showcased on a finished card, but then I hate using the cheap stuff because it's more likely to tear. :-/

I've tried Scotch removable tape (which is great for die cutting), but it won't stick to my work surface (or the stencil). I *do* use it for masking, though.

Why can't I just have a magical adhesive that sticks as much as I need it to, switches from dry to liquid and back again, dries to whatever finish I need, and releases on command without damage or residue? :-D
I really like these tapes

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sbc-...xoCAmgQAvD_BwE
https://www.scrapbook.com/store/tow-...RoCJygQAvD_BwE
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-12-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 02:06 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile I've used this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SitkaView Post
I got a sticky mat but there isn't any stick (I see from the above comments that its low tack to begin with) - suggestions on how to make it sticky again?

Thanks
"Blue Glue" as I call it, which is from EK Tools. I use the "Jumbo" size for getting large areas to be tacky again (such as my Silhouette mats) and there are smaller size pens for adding smaller embellishments.

Here is a video explaining how it works:
PS are you from Sitka? I was able to visit while on a cruise to Alaska and LOVED it!

Last edited by Jannarama; 05-14-2024 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: edited to add the PS so it's easier to read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2024, 02:58 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,933 Posts

A year ago, when I first got My Sweet Petunia sticky mats, I couldn't figure it out so I finally asked the question. Many people responded. Bev hit the tip right, stick it on your clothing and add lint. It made a huge difference and made them usable. I still use those mats and a few from Scrapbook.com. They work basically the same way. I did take the plunge and ordered the Altenew one for stencils that are frustrating to use with my magnets. I have layering stencils from Altenew that take more work than my regular stencils, so I hope this mat does the job.

Here is the thread I started a year ago about how to use those sticky mats: MISTI Sticky Mats by lovinpaper at Splitcoaststampers
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 03:00 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannaramaView Post
"Blue Glue" as I call it, which is from EK Tools. I use the "Jumbo" size for getting large areas to be tacky again (such as my Silhouette mats) and there are smaller size pens for adding smaller embellishments.

Here is a video explaining how it works:
PS are you from Sitka? I was able to visit while on a cruise to Alaska and LOVED it!
Thanks for the suggestion and video. Not from Sita - Sitka was our Alaskan Malamute. Her previous owner taught her to talk so she could say I want water, where were you? And wa-walk when she wanted to go for a walk. She was the best dog.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Sitka:
OneDevotedDame (05-14-2024), whim6915 (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 06:42 PM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SitkaView Post

Thanks
I ended up getting the grip grid from waffle flower. It's photopolymer and the directions say that if it loses it stickiness you can just wash it and warm soapy water just like you do photopolymer stamps. I love mine I don't know what I did without it not only can I use it for my stenciling I can put it in my Stamparatus and my Misti , it acts as the Matthew would need when using photopolymer stamps. And it's great because I don't need to use those stupid magnets anymore! I told my customers and a couple of them have bought them too.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by sc magnolia:
hultenlk (05-22-2024), Speechy53 (05-18-2024), TeeGeeDee (05-16-2024)