Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A very odd and slightly morbid request

Ok, so some of you are going to find this very weird, but I'm not bothered by that. My mom is dying of breast cancer. She has very few weeks (I hope more) to live. She has fully accepted her ordeal and is not sad like I am. I am back and forth between Santa Monica (los angeles) and San Diego staying at her house to be with her for her final weeks. I'm at home until Wednesday and then I am heading back for however long I need to be. She has a ton of friends and a lot of them are stopping by to say good bye and pick up items that she wants them to have. She is a huge Halloween fan. We carved pumpkins this weekend and had a little Halloween party since she will probably won't make it until the 31st. I have decided that I want to make little bags, possibly the 2-4-6-8 bags and use this seasons Halloween stamps to make gift bags to give out to each person who comes by. The bags will have a small pack of Kleenex with a wacky picture of my mom adhered on one side, a little pack of peanut M&M's because those are her favorite candies, and me and my sisters email address and phone numbers for people can contact us if they want. I would like to put a few more items in the bag, but my wilting brain is stuck. I need some suggestions on fun and memorable items that we can put in to give away.

My mom is fun and out there. She loved the idea when I suggested it to her. I think it will help everyone relax and give them a laugh. We are all on strict orders not to cry until the bitter end. Easier said than done for some of us. I really could use some fun and funky ideas. The odder the better, I promise I won't be offended. We were actually joking all weekend about how my husband better be nice to me since I'll be his sugar mama soon and I'll be richer than him. We are really trying to keep things fun and light as much as we can.

Ok, so my rambling is over. I need container suggestion and fillings and whatever wacky ideas you have are appreciated.

Thanks and please go get your boobs squished! Save your life!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Im so sorry to hear about your mom...i dont know what else you can put in your bag, i just read your request..and wanted to let you know i was thinking about you and your family
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Your family is in my prayers during this trying time. As for what else you can add to the little package, how about a container of those tic-tacs. You could cover the label with your own label that says "friends make like a little sweeter".
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't really think of anything right now, except for the little cookies that you make with the kiss on top, we call them "boob" cookies. If I can think of anything humorous I will be back to post it. Your mom is to be admired for her courage! She doesn't want her girls to be scared for her, what a gal she is!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

oh bless your heart. what a wonderful mom and she has a wonderful daughter.

ok, this is wacky.

how about your mom stamping her her fingers onto some paper and then turning that into a gift tag for the bags?? Is that too weird?

Maybe some info about breast cancer research and where to donate?
Info on where to get a mammogram?

That's all I can think of right now. Hugs..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know, even though this is a sad time, I truly love your mom's attitude towards her life. It is so inspiring and although a different approach for the rest of you, I love that you all are following her orders. ;) A mom is always right...
How about creating a sentiment for a tag that says something like "To my breast friends"?
Or take a picture of you all and turn them into keychains, with the sentiment "My breast friends" on the other side of it, or wallet-sized frame magnets that they sell at local craft stores.
Huge hugs to you and your family, if only we could all be that brave!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I so know what you are going through. My mom has Alzheimer's and we have already made the funeral folders! That is the way she would want it...always be prepared for a party! Surely she has a flower or a poem you could include. How about since it is breast cancer awareness month you include a list of the mammogram places around?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could include a type out story that your mom can dictate to you or how about a "Things to live by" that you mom comes up with. It is something personal, yet she can show her good sense of humor and I bet every single person will save it for life.

I am so sorry. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

First of all, hugs for you, your mom and your whole family.

Here are a couple of goofy ideas from the Oriental Trading Co. online catalog--I imagine some of these things would be available at your local dollar store:

FInger Traps

back scratchers

sticky hands

Halloween rubber ducks

Spiderweb pencils

And for easy stamped goodies, how about some

eyeball suckers
one-eyed purple people eaters
halloween patties
coffin treat holders

and then there's always ghost poop. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think that is a really sweet.

more ideas:

- Seed packets for her favorite flowers
- Mixed CD of her favorite songs
- Copies of her favorite recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
I can't really think of anything right now, except for the little cookies that you make with the kiss on top, we call them "boob" cookies. If I can think of anything humorous I will be back to post it. Your mom is to be admired for her courage! She doesn't want her girls to be scared for her, what a gal she is!!

Boob cookies! I love the idea. She will too. She will actually die of liver failure because the cancer spread, but it was originally breast cancer. Now I'm gonna Google boob treats and cookies. I bet I come across sore real savory websites! Thanks for the idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

OOHHhhh! You could make the boob cookies from that template for the bra and panties cards! you can decorate the bras! I so wish I was close I would make them all for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
I so know what you are going through. My mom has Alzheimer's and we have already made the funeral folders! That is the way she would want it...always be prepared for a party! Surely she has a flower or a poem you could include. How about since it is breast cancer awareness month you include a list of the mammogram places around?
My grandmother died from Alzheimers this past February. It's a nasty one. I don't know what is worse, the cancer my mom has or the evil Alzheimers her mom had. My mom, being her wacky self, created a folder that she labeled "The Afterlife Folder of Kathleen Alliette" I laughed when she told me. But because she's known for a year and half, she had time to organize everything for us. There will be very little leg work for us to do. My mom is even making calls today to transfer her car lease to me, get her retirement fund released, cancel credit cards, etc. Its so damn weird to be taking care of the stuff we are because it seems like we're planning a move or vacation, not a death.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 498 Likes on 276 Posts

How about printing a favorite picture of your Mom and making magnets for everyone to be able to stick on the fridge and remember her? You could easily print sheets of multiple images, and then punch out and layer and back with a magnet. You could even embellish with a pink ribbon.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Thank goodness she has you there to be with her until the end. I love the idea of the gift bags with the wacky photo of your mom and her fave candy inside. I really like Joan B's idea of including info about where to donate to help with breast cancer research. Not fun or funky but definitely a great way to get people to think about it and do something to help someone else's mom not have to go through the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

My heart aches for your family. What a difficult, but wonderful time. I spent the last months, days, etc. with my Mom, Grandma, Grandpa and brother. It's awful and awesome at the same time.
Since your Mom loves Halloween, why not ask her friends to come and visit while in costume or at least a mask? Maybe your Mom is up to wearing a mask, tiara, funny glasses, whatever to greet her friends.
This is really off the wall, but what about a guessing game - have your Mom, you, or your Mom's friends guess each other's bra size when they come visit.
How about making some "pasties" for each gift bag. Just punch a circle out of card stock and glue a tassle of some kind to it (even rafia or shredded ribbon or paper).
I really am not as warped as these ideas make me sound. Just some "off the top of my head" ideas that might make a laugh or two.
God Bless your Mom, you, your family and friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Kristie Lee beat me to the punch with the idea of flower seed packs. Hmm... what else... perhaps ATCs or bookmarks with something on them that is meaningful to your Mom.

Your Mother must be a very special person to keep her humor about her during a time like this. I think that's wonderful. You will be in my prayers.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I'm sorry I don't have anything to suggest as far as treats. I just wanted to say that I totally understand what you are going thru. I lost my Dad this past May and was right by his side to the very end. Its a wonderful, special time but its so hard, too Enjoy your time with your mom and doing this project will be a wonderful way for you to spend time with her.

I will be thinking of you and praying for your whole family. Plus if I think of something, I will post again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

What about bulbs? Like tulip bulbs (I think there are actually black tulips for the Halloween theme)or gladiolous or dafodils or hyacinths, etc. My friend's husband gave them out at my friends funeral as they were her favorite flowers. We all planted them and it was a terrific reminder of her this spring when they bloomed.

I've very sorry for your loss. :(

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

my Grandma's favorite saying was "Oh Bubbles" so my Aunt gave us handmade bubble wands one Christmas made from a long glass bead and wire. Does your Mom have any such phrase she's known for? Or something she collects (my Aunt collects Owls)that you might include as a little momento?

Your Mom has to be one kick butt lady!
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa HannantView Post
My grandmother died from Alzheimers this past February. It's a nasty one. I don't know what is worse, the cancer my mom has or the evil Alzheimers her mom had. My mom, being her wacky self, created a folder that she labeled "The Afterlife Folder of Kathleen Alliette" I laughed when she told me. But because she's known for a year and half, she had time to organize everything for us. There will be very little leg work for us to do. My mom is even making calls today to transfer her car lease to me, get her retirement fund released, cancel credit cards, etc. Its so damn weird to be taking care of the stuff we are because it seems like we're planning a move or vacation, not a death.
Definitely, yours is worse! I just saw my mother this past weekend and she is just about 98% 'gone'. You have a chance to say goodbye and relive the good times yet both are aware of the short time left. I feel like she is already gone; we are just waiting on the body to follow.

It is so good she is working with you. It is not easy when they work agin' you!! Good luck on your journey. She will be so perfect soon and all the pain will be gone for her. You are doing a wonderful thing celebrating her life while she is here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Your request has me thinking of my family members and things we remember about them. How about list of "Mom'isms". Like Diane said above - favorite phrases or memorable words of wisdom. One of my mom's was: "You put a sweater on, I'm cold". or "If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they'll stick that way". It might be a fun thing for you and your sisters to do with your mom. Remembering all those funny "words of wisdom" and then writing them down in a card or bookmark or whatever format. It might make for some good laughs now and good memories later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Hugs and prayers for your mom and you and your family. So sorry you all are going through this.

Not funny, but a couple of years ago at my son's school, his school nurse did a program promoting breast cancer awareness for all the teachers. In their goody bags they each got a "fake" breast with a lump in it so they would actually know what to feel for. It was amazing how different it felt to what most of us thought a lump would feel like. I don't know if you could get some of those from a breast cancer resource of some kind, but what a great way to spread awareness to all your mom loves.

And I love the "boob" cookies. We are making a "boob" cake for one of my 7 yo son's friend's mom. She has just went through reconstructive surgery and it has been a slow process for her since she had radiated skin (apparently it doesn't stretch as well).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

My last post on this - I promise. I just went into my kitchen and saw in the candy dish some Halloween Hershey's Kisses. You could put them in little baggies as "kisses for a friend" or go the racier side as they do kind of look like Madonna's infamous "cone boobs".
You and your Mom are truly a testament to strong women everywhere and that wonderful mother/daughter bond that some of us are blessed to receive. You go girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Sorry if this has been touched upon I didn't make it through the last few posts, love the picture of your Mom some suggested as a refrigerator magnet. The magnet could be her friends self breast exam reminder or an annual mammogram appointment date holder.

Your family is in my prayers, remember to take care of yourself too!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,015 Likes on 869 Posts
Default Request

It is great for you to share here- I am so sorry for the pain you are going through, and admire your Mom's attitude!

You could put a note in there from you and your sisters- Hope all is well with you and your girls from 'The Girls'..........

I love the idea of the boob cookies- your friends and your Mom's friends will remember here in such a happy way and not think sadness in their memories-how wonderful!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

I just called my mom and she loves the boob cookie idea. We are going to call the bags everyone's 'departing gift'. She likes that too. My husband is all over the boob making idea. He likes to bake so he will be in charge of that. And since there are pumpkin spice Hershey's kisses this time of year, the color will be perfect. We're only giving one cookie each to represent what my mom has left!!

I know so of you will just be shaking your head in disgust, but we are having a good time with this. What else can you do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

My prayers are with your family and with your mom. I so much admire your mom's wonderful spirit. My mother is now a 2-year breast cancer survivor and I know the reason she's made it this long is 100% because of her wonderful spirit.

I love the idea of info on how friends can donate to breast cancer research (50% of the population appreciates every penny donated and the other 50% is thankful too). Also, love the "boob" cookies.

You could do the pretzels with melted kisses and have a "set of boobs". I was trying to find the word document I read last night that is embedded in the "What are you making for Christmas '08" thread but couldn't find it. Here's the recipe (with adaptation to make 2 boobs):
Line cookie sheet w/ foil. Place rows of pretzels (the traditional criss cross shape) on the foil. Place an unwrapped Hershey's kiss in each top section so it looks like boobs. Place in preheated oven at 300 degrees for 2-2.5 mins. Kisses won't look melted, but press M&M down in center of each kiss. Place in fridge for 5 mins. Did you request odd or racy!?

I also wanted to second Loretia's idea of Mom-isms. You could post it on the wall that all visitor can add to the list with brief explanation if needed. It will be fun for the friend writing, your mom reading and the subsequent friends reading earlier postings. You can stress that they are to be wacky, fun-filled, love-filled memories and start the list with one or two of your own (as a daughter, I KNOW you must have just a few you can start with).

I also volunteer at a clothes closet for needy families in our town. There is always a need for underwear (it's expensive AND necessary) and one item that is almost never donated. Depending on your mom's sense of humor and view of the world, you might find a local woman's shelter or such that would appreciate donations of bras in your mom's name. Your mom might even suggest they donate her favorite style/brand (we all have definite favorites, don't we). Or suggested donations of children's halloween costumes and a bag of candy for the childrn at the local women's shelter since your mom enjoys halloween.

Please let us know what you come up with, if you have time, you'll be in our thoughts. And please, wish your mom a Happy Halloween!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

I just called my mom and she loves the boob cookie idea. We are going to call the bags everyone's 'departing gift'. She likes that too. My husband is all over the boob making idea. He likes to bake so he will be in charge of that. And since there are pumpkin spice Hershey's kisses this time of year, the color will be perfect. We're only giving one cookie each to represent what my mom has left!!

I know so of you will just be shaking your head in disgust, but we are having a good time with this. What else can you do?
I think it's awesome. You're celebrating her life and her friendships in a fun, positive way. I'll be thinking about you both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

You and your mom have great attitudes - no disgusted head shaking going on here, just admiration that you're finding the very best way you can to celebrate your mom's life and share what's special about her with those who love her.

It's not funny or quirky but how about including a pink ribbon in everybody's bag? They could wear them to honour your mom and maybe somebody who sees them out wearing it would be reminded to make that appointment they've been putting off.

Good luck to you in staying strong and doing what your mom wants for her final days.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:14 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

What a wonderful strong family you are. Give your mom a hug from me. I've been momlesss now for 3 years and it still hurts but time helps me remember the fun and forget the pain.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Let them shake their heads!

I think what you are doing is a wonderful testament to the love you have for your mother. Nothing can ever break that bond, and you will look back on this time years from now with nothing but fond memories.

I lost a dear friend to cancer in March and I was able to be with her almost to the end, and I am so grateful I had that opportunity. Being able to spend so much time with her is a memory I will always cherish.

I wish you, your family, and especially your mother peace during these last few weeks.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #33  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have some really wonderful ideas here, and i can't possibly come up with anything more as good as i've read.

i wanted to say that i can only hope that when my time is near, i can be as noble and courageous as your mother. thank you for sharing your story.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! What a fantastic attitude and determination your mother seems to have with this. It has been an honor to read about her here. Thank you.

Now - the "mom-isms" got me because one of the favorite sayings in our family is about my very religious grandmother and in general that she would "come back and haunt us" if we didn't do something she would have wanted us to do - so maybe you mother could threaten to come back and haunt her friends and relatives if they don't take care of themselves - I know there is a quick/easy nutter butter cookie dipped in white chocolate with two chocolate chip eyes to look like a ghost idea I read somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree - let them shake their heads (and not post on this thread, please!). Your mom's attitude is to be admired. I had a bad cancer scare last year (luckily my treatment has been successful) and can tell you it's harder on those you leave behind so huge hugs to you and your family. I can't imagine how diffucult this is for you but it's marvelous that you are such a trooper to honour your mother's wishes. You go girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so sorry for what you are going through, but I admire the strength and the humor with which you and your mom are facing what is to come!

There are a couple of wonderful bra stamps out there, and I love the idea of a little note in each bag stamped with a bra and the message "Thanks for your support." I think it fits so well with what you're doing, and it would give everyone a smile.

You and your family are in my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #37  
Vee
Glitter Guru

How about envelopes addressed to the Cancer society or Susan Kommen, or..... Stamped of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, here is the recipe for the "Boob Cookies" a.k.a. Peanut Blossoms

1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 unbeaten egg
1 tsp. vanilla
solid milk chocloate kisses, unwrapped
extra white sugar to roll cookies in

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Cream together butter, peanut butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mix together well, than add the dry ingredients, blending together gradually. Shape into balls and roll in extra white sugar. Place on a grease cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 8 mins. Remove from oven and top each cookie with a kiss, pressing down firmly so cookie cracks around edge. Bake another 2 to 5 mins. longer.

I've had this recipe for at least 30 years now!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Melissa - I think you and your mom are very special people; I find your request neither morbid or disgusting. My thoughts about the name of the bag/box:

TaTa's - nice double-entendre for goodbye and boobs!

Booby Prize - obvious reference here.

Hugs and goodluck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have any ideas as the ones that came to mind have already been posted.

I just want to say how much I admire you and your mom during this time.

This idea is for you that you will appreciate in the future. Take the time now with a video camera or tape recorder and ask your mom about family memories or friends that can be viewed later. I lost my mom suddenly in 2002 when she was only 62 and there are many days still that I say "Dang mom would know who that is or who are in these old pictures or what was that place/store/person etc that she told me about."

You will be in my thoughts and prayers and know that your SCS family will be here whenever you need us.
Reply With Quote Likes