Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your price point for the sale of your cards?

I have been asked to make 25 bridal shower invitations. I have no idea what to charge. Do you factor the price of supplies separately also??
By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. 1 John 3:16
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check etsy.com – there are loads of paper and card crafters there and you can get an idea of what they charge per card. Most of them charge too little imo, but it will give you a good range. They also have excellent free online workshops on how to price items. You usually build the price of your supplies into the price that you charge your customer...if this is family or a friend, you may do it differently!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked it out and got a feel for the range.

But do you factor in your time and effort for a larger quantity of cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Be careful you don't price the cards far too low or if other friends like your cards you will be working for everyone for nothing . Arrive at a price you can live with if others want you to do their cards too

My daughter is a hobby Photographer and she is quite talented. A few years ago she agreed to do promotion photos for some friends who were starting a band and she only charged them the cost of her materials and gas . She has a professional type camera that uses film.

The band has grown in popularity yet they still expect her to do all their photography free. They now have an album coming out and expect her to do the cover plus all the promos for that too .

She doesn't want to lose them as friends and has hinted that some payment would be appreciated but it is falling on deaf ears. The photo shoots and the editing are getting more elaborate and time consuming .
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

You definitely factor in time and effort if this is a business transaction! But if this is a labor of love for someone you know, you could decide to just charge a price that covers your supplies and incidentals. The general equation is something like cost of supplies + time/labor (how much you want to make per hour) + 20 percent.

I've found that this equation often makes your prices noncompetitive if you are trying to sell your items online, which is why I decided to not sell cards online
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Barbara, you know they have always said the way to lose a friend is to lend them money.... And that probably goes for providing professional services for free, too.

It's a shame that it seems to work that way, but sadly it does.

In addition to making cards, I also sew and crochet quite a bit. Friends (and also family members) have asked me to make things for them. It only took a couple of times for me to realize that it can become a very uncomfortable situation.

Some of them thought, like your daughter's friends, that I would just do it free of charge, and some wanted to pay, but I could tell they were not really happy with the price I quoted.

Just recently, a great niece that I am not especially close to, I just happen to be related to, lol, seemed to think that I would be happy to make, free of charge, 2 baby afghans for a couple of her friends who are having babies.

She is young and has no idea of how much yarn costs, or how much time it takes to crochet a baby blanket. I told her I was flattered, and that I wished I could do it, but I just didn't have time.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Just recently, a great niece that I am not especially close to, I just happen to be related to, lol, seemed to think that I would be happy to make, free of charge, 2 baby afghans for a couple of her friends who are having babies.

She is young and has no idea of how much yarn costs, or how much time it takes to crochet a baby blanket. I told her I was flattered, and that I wished I could do it, but I just didn't have time.
:lol: And for those of us who are retired they think we are sitting with our hands folded eagerly waiting for something to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
:lol: And for those of us who are retired they think we are sitting with our hands folded eagerly waiting for something to do
You are so right about that, Barbara. That kind of thing started the minute I retired! I've always had a hard time saying "no", but I am getting better at it.

I'm not complaining. I love my life these days, and don't miss that darned alarm clock one bit!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I have chosen a simple design to the card and these are for an acquaintance. I am sure these details will benefit them with the pricing ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Ain't that the truth!!! I am not "retired" but I do not work outside my home. It is surprising how many people believe I have nothing to do! I suppose my point is your time is valuable, so most certainly include a fee for your time in the price of the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

We homeschooling moms too-wait just a minute while I get out of my pj's and put down my bon bons!;);)
I've made wedding invites for family and only charged for materials. When I did shower invites for a friend, I figured the cost of materials and then added in $$ for my time. I felt bad charging her as much as I did, but she rounded up and ended up buying extras too! Your time is worth something too otherwise there's no profit in it and it really isn't all that much fun making multiples of the same card over and over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

If I sell random cards one or 2 at a time, I charge 3$ including the envelope. If someone orders more, maybe all the same like you describe, I back off a little because the time is used more efficiently in an assembly line style. Then I probably would charge 2.50.

Etsy people charge a lot more than would be accepted around here, 3.00 works for me as it is a hobby and it's nice once in a awhile to share my talents and recoup a little bit of supplies cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 06:15 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

I think it also depends on where you live... when I sold cards online on ebay ( a very long time ago.) people would fight over them and average was about 7 or 8 dollars a card. ( now mind you I do not do a-2 sized cards very often) so, I have stopped selling on line because of the lack of control from the post office. ( it seems that most the buyers are over seas and you cannot track or insure things that leave the country without the postage being an arm and a leg)

that being said. it also depends on the availability of the materials you use. if your bride picks a paper that you have to order in. you will have freight costs just to get the materials. if you use a scrumptious you cannot replace it vintage lace. well that is worth more than the off the shelf cheap made in china lace out and about at the moment. So, some of my pricing has that kind of a thought behind it.

I totally flat out refuse to do multiple designs for money for people because, my time is worth too much for anyone to pay for it. but, I will consider doing a special request here and there if the control of what I do is up to me. ( like they pick a color or a theme but, not really anything else) if the card ends up so lumpy it has to go into a clear box instead of a clear bag with the paper envelope I do charge a dollar for that box.

so all those random thoughts aside.

when you decide what you are going to do, put it in writing and have her sign it. that she is going to pay this. she is going to receive this. and put a deadline on it. that she can pay half now when she signs and the balance when you give them to her.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I asked this question on here a couple of years ago, as someone asked me to make theirs. A lovely crafter gave me this advice: Add up all the costs of your supplies, including printer ink/adhesives/postage costs, etc.Include a cost for your heating/electricity. Now multiply this figure by 4. Thats a quarter for supplies, a quarter for 'overheads', a quarter for your time, and a quarter for yourself. I actually found that a very reasonable and fair way to do it.
One thing I would add- people are often surprised that handmade wedding stationery doesn't cost pennies. I found one way to circumnavigate the almost certain request for a cheaper price is this- when you have your total, add on 10%. Then when you write out the bill, 'deduct' at the bottom a 10% 'friends and family' discount- it may look sneaky, but you get what you are worth, and they believe they've had a bargain.
Also, when you have a sample the bride agrees on, as JBGreendawn says, get stuff in writing. I strongly recommend getting the bride to sign the sample on the back, with something like 'design agreed/DATE, then add her signature. That way, there can be no problems later on,some girls really DO become Bridezilla, and decide the ribbon (or whatever) was supposed to be lighter/darker/ totally different colour!I totally agree about getting 50% of the cost up front- you won't be able to do anything with the invites if anything goes wrong- you're just stuck with them. Another thing to get in writing- firm dates for the supplying of information to you for things like Place cards/Order of Service etc. I had two people ask for invites, and there should have been 3 months between them. Because one kept delaying sending me the names for place cards, and the stuff for the Order of Service, I actually ended up working on both at the same time- not funny.Hth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't bother figuring the price of materials. It's my time that I can never get back. Furthermore, it's not just any time; it's my FREE time (the most treasured of all times) that they are asking for. I ask for $8 a card. This is because I want to discourage people from asking me to make cards - it takes about 3 or 4 hours for me to make a card, and that's all the free time I have per day. Next year my price will increase to $10 a card. The exception is if they are willing to sacrifice some of THEIR time - like if they want 25 invitations, AND they are willing to sit down with me and help me make them. Once they understand the sacrifice of time, the more they seem to understand it, the more willing I am to charge them less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

Agree with everything above.

I would mention that you should look at what it costs to get cards made from professional printers. There are different levels-Kinko is going to be very different from a private stationer. You might feel a lot better about charging more when you see those prices.

They might back off and run to Hallmark and buy packs. That's fine. Dont feel bad about it. It's very important you value yourself or other people will not.

That might be one reason the person is asking you. This assumption that it will be so much cheaper. (or the dreaded "I'll do you the favor so you can make a little money")

Etsy is weird to me. Some cards are very pretty-like here. And some are just some hand scribbled stick man with a saying that is way overpriced. I cant draw either-that's why I need stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

These are great responses. My family has been trying to help me price my cards in case I want to sell some. I have settled on $5 per card, including the envelope and seal. I really just want a tax write-off as both my husband and I are newly retired and I just can't get over not having something to offer to our retirement fund. Anyone else using their beloved hobby also for a tax deduction? I donate my cards for fund raisers and the missions posted on SCS. I also plan on sending some to an orphanage in Romania this summer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonflydesignsView Post
These are great responses. My family has been trying to help me price my cards in case I want to sell some. I have settled on $5 per card, including the envelope and seal. I really just want a tax write-off as both my husband and I are newly retired and I just can't get over not having something to offer to our retirement fund. Anyone else using their beloved hobby also for a tax deduction? I donate my cards for fund raisers and the missions posted on SCS. I also plan on sending some to an orphanage in Romania this summer.
Dragonfly-
I hope to sell when I start collecting SS to supplement it to help keep up with cost of living increases. My mom made Barbie clothes to sell to supplement hers and I hope to do the same with cards. I am hoping it is not too hard to do as I get even older. Mom's hands were noticeably deformed from arthritis but because she kept knitting and crocheting the clothes she said she didnt have pain.

You might want to also look to OWH-Operation Write Home as a donation point. They will send you a receipt. There are a couple other donation groups for the troops as well. Just check the requirements to see if they fit you.

I donate a lot of other stuff all the time to help with the "bottom line" at tax time. It's just a shame it isnt dollar for dollar. You are aware of that? It usually works out (everyone is different) to about 10% of the claimed value. That stunned me speechless when I first found out after years of donating. I dont know why DH and I never had talked about it before. I admit now I try to sell before donating b/c of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly I find it's hard to really get what you put into handmade cards, in my Etsy shop, custom orders I've done and in B&M stores I sell mine for $2.75- $3.00 unless they are heavily embellished.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make and donate cards to 3 churches presently. There is another church who wants them but frankly with my webstore business and the 3 churches I support now, iI do not think I can take on another. As it is I donate thousands of cards every year. My church has a rack in the bookstore I purchased for them and it holds 700 t0 800 cards depending on embellishments and layers. At my church we do a huge sale the first Sunday in May and November to which I bring in an additional 1000 cards. Each of the churches I supply gives me a $3.00 per card tax write off. Yes it is a lot at the end of the year. It helps. I just feel blessed that someone wants my cards!

Last edited by sprtchick; 04-26-2015 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I make and donate cards to 3 churches presently. There is another church who wants them but frankly with my webstore business and the 3 churches I support now, iI do not think I can take on another. As it is I donate thousands of cards every year. My church has a rack in the bookstore I purchased for them and it holds 700 t0 800 cards depending on embellishments and layers. At my church we do a huge sale the first Sunday in May and November to which I bring in an additional 1000 cards. Each of the churches I supply gives me a $3.00 per card tax write off. Yes it is a lot at the end of the year. It helps. I just feel blessed that someone wants my cards!
WOW! Those numbers are staggering Amber! You talk about a 1000 cards like I talk about 10. OMGoodness! You're like the roadrunner! Beep Beep! My hat's off to you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default thank you but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
WOW! Those numbers are staggering Amber! You talk about a 1000 cards like I talk about 10. OMGoodness! You're like the roadrunner! Beep Beep! My hat's off to you!!!
I can no longer work outside the home so I have lots of time....thats a big reason I can make so many cards...wasnt like that before I became disabled.
thanks for the smiles!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks everyone for all of your input, this is all helpful information ;)

As it turns out, I will be charging her $4 per card. Between the products I had to order, the very small window she gave me to make the cards (2 days), and all of the time I have already invested in back and forth communications, the profit margin is extremely small. On top of that, one of the SU sets I ordered, which is not on the backorder list, has not shipped yet and will not arrive on time. Now I am scrambling to come up with a replacement. Just hoping the end result will please her and bless the bride to be ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I don't bother figuring the price of materials. It's my time that I can never get back. Furthermore, it's not just any time; it's my FREE time (the most treasured of all times) that they are asking for. I ask for $8 a card. This is because I want to discourage people from asking me to make cards - it takes about 3 or 4 hours for me to make a card, and that's all the free time I have per day. Next year my price will increase to $10 a card. The exception is if they are willing to sacrifice some of THEIR time - like if they want 25 invitations, AND they are willing to sit down with me and help me make them. Once they understand the sacrifice of time, the more they seem to understand it, the more willing I am to charge them less.
I'm totally with you, Sophie. If I want to turn down a request, I simply charge them much more than I think they would be willing to pay. That ends the matter without me having to say no. If they still want the items, I'm happy to accept the money. Because my time is limited, I work on what I like and a card may take me several hours (including design time). I'm simply not willing to work for $1.00/hour. I hear you can flip burgers for $15/hour these days.

Last edited by Buried Treasures; 04-29-2015 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I'm totally with you, Sophie. If I want to turn down a request, I simply charge them much more than I think they would be willing to pay. That ends the matter without me having to say no. If they still want the items, I'm happy to accept the money. Because my time is limited, I work on what I like and a card may take me several hours (including design time). I'm simply not willing to work for $1.00/hour. I hear you can flip burgers for $15/hour these days.
Even if I flip burgers for minimum wage (less than $15/hr), I'd still make gobs and gobs more money than I ever would, making and selling cards. AND - I'd get a 50% discount on any food I order, AND I get all the free soda and coffee I want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

A few days ago I shared the experience of my hobby photographer daughter who has many friends who want her to take pictures of their events for free. She doesn't want to lose her friends , but the photo shoots and the editing are taking a lot of her time . They love her work but never offer any money or other compensation such as offering to help her and her husband lay the new paver bricks on their patio

Tonight I asked her how she is now handling this problem and she said now when friends ask if she will do the photography for fliers, events or bands she simply says " I would love to ! How much are you planning on spending ? Hopefully we can work something out within your budget "

It has stopped people from assuming she will do everything free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Barbara Jay, you have a very smart and tactful daughter! That's a brilliant way of resolving the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Barbara, I agree with Shaz! Your daughter got the words exactly right!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

This "Friends expect free work" saga gets better

The friend with the band that my daughter had been doing free photography work for the past 5 years was whining to her how the local Harley Dealership asked him to play FREE for an upcoming event. He was peeved! The audacity of them to expect the band to play for free . :lol:

She said she didn't have the heart to tell him that is how she felt about all the hours she has worked over the past 5 years on his promos and flyers ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Your daughter's a better person than he is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 04:38 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Saw this today, and it made me think of this thread!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Shaz you owe me a new monitor! ROTFL!!!!!

Thank you. That just started my day off very well. ((hugs))

Isnt that still 8 dollars cheaper an hour than therapy? So still a bargain!

I agree Barbara-that is the perfect answer and I will have to remember it myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Good for your daughter, Barbara! I live in a town full of aspiring artists, and a friend early on taught me how to respond to everybody wanting your time and talent. Her stock response was "That sounds like such an interesting project — what kind of budget are you working with?"

That leaves them the space to say "We don't actually have any money for the cover art" or whatever without losing face, and it leaves space for you to say "I'd love to work on that project, but I'm very busy with my paying clients/online shop/full-time job but if you find some money maybe we could work out a deal etc."

Win-win and nobody goes away hurt :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 05:38 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

This "Friends expect free work" saga gets better

The friend with the band that my daughter had been doing free photography work for the past 5 years was whining to her how the local Harley Dealership asked him to play FREE for an upcoming event. He was peeved! The audacity of them to expect the band to play for free . :lol:

She said she didn't have the heart to tell him that is how she felt about all the hours she has worked over the past 5 years on his promos and flyers ;)
I have discovered there are people in this world who are simply Users. For some unknown reason, they believe everything should be handed to them on a plate. The behavior usually starts with whining (oh, I need this and I just don't know what to do). Then they bring the family into it (I don't know how they will get along without [fill in the blank]). You end up providing the service/product with an offhand "thanks" and then it starts all over. Never lend these people money. They will have every reason in the world they can't pay it back, while they spend $$$ on dinners out and new technology. Ask me how I know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I have discovered there are people in this world who are simply Users. For some unknown reason, they believe everything should be handed to them on a plate. The behavior usually starts with whining (oh, I need this and I just don't know what to do). Then they bring the family into it (I don't know how they will get along without [fill in the blank]). You end up providing the service/product with an offhand "thanks" and then it starts all over. Never lend these people money. They will have every reason in the world they can't pay it back, while they spend $$$ on dinners out and new technology. Ask me how I know.
They are also "Skilled manipulators " "Oh you do such beautiful work I don't know what I would do without you " . That is in leu of offering any payment for the work -LOL
Reply With Quote Likes