Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still a teenager (16) and I'd say that my style is pretty simple. I'm not in to the low/high-ride stuff, super tight/lose shirt, or anything else that's in style right now for that matter. A pole shirt and skirt and I'm good (and not mini skirts either)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #42  
Crimping Master

boy o' boy this really dates me. I remember wearing bell bottom hip huggers with body suits. a shoulder strap purse that was suede with fringes and had a peace symbol stamped on the front. when we went to the clubs I wore hunter green velvet hot pants (shorty shorts) and body suits. For shoes we wore platform boots that went to the knee. If I only that body now!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #43  
Inking Addict

I was a late 80's early 90's teen. It was all about the grunge and heavy metal for me. I hung out with the stoner crowd, had big teased fluff chick hair, tight jeans, band t-shirt and my dad's flannel shirt. I went to a Catholic high school so we could only express ourselves on dress down day. I love the skull fashion thing going on now, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not a kid anymore and I don't want to look stupid wearing that stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #44  
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by askagainView Post
Wow... this thread is taking me back. Anyone else remember leg warmers?
Yes!! And yesterday I saw a whole display of them at Sears! They're baaaaack!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Everybody wore "Ditto" pants. They had then in all sorts of colors. They went to the waist, had no pockets and flared at the bottom. That was in the mid 70's.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a fun thread!

I'm a 60s/70s person who wore tie dyed shirts, peasant shirts, embroidered anything, long dangling earrings, and long bell bottomed jeans that dragged on the ground because I couldn't be bothered to hem them.

I also had hot pants that I wore with body shirts, midriff shirts, and high, high platform shoes.

We still have those rainbow sheets and still use them. They're soft, a bit thread-bare, but make us smile.

No one has mentioned white lipstick, blue eyeliner, blue mascara or ironing your hair/putting it on coffee cans to straighten it.

I was really happy when flare jeans came back into fashion and I still like platforms. But at 5'1", I'll take all the vertical assistance that I can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I used orange juice cans to straighten my hair, white lipstick and had a peace sign on the back pocket of my jeans. Plaid or flowered (big flowers) bellbottoms and slinging your hair over your shoulder was stylin'. Egads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm only 23, so this wasn't too long ago. I was all about Abercrombie - I would walk into their store, and be wearing the same outfit as the model on the wall. This was before they charged $40 for a tank top. I remember getting shirts from there for $15 and jeans were like $30!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Hmm....this is fun!
I'm another one from the 70s. I graduated HS in 74. We not only wore bellbottoms, but pants were better if they dragged on the floor. So, we bought fabric with a print on it, and sewed about a two inch length around the bottom of our pants. I can remember doing it with both jeans and courdoroys.
OH MY GOSH - I thought I was the only one!

AND........I remember cutting a slit (about 12 inches from the hem up) on the outside of jeans and sewing a triangle of printed fabric into it to make your jeans bell bottomed, funky (and looking back - hideous).

Thanks for this walk down memory lane......I think. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=tchk;11149196 Bermuda bags (and I still have those, with all the covers!).[/QUOTE]

Oh Sophie this is a fab thread. Funny Bermuda bags are mentioned. I found the pattern I used to make mine just the other day!! Wierd eh?
I remember...Ben Casey blouses, white bucks, scorts, clam-diggers, madras and paisley! Pop-tops & ribticklers, tie-dyed everything, go-go boots (mine were white with elastic tops very shiny), your Dad's plaid shirt and short shorts, flavoured lipstick.. I think Clairol made it..mine was called orange kiss! We used to button our 'banlon' cardigan and wear the buttons down the back instead of the front...what a rebel!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Another 70's kid here, I am howling over sewing the material on the bottom of the jeans and also inserting the fabric to make the 'bell' bigger, I did both of those. Also, peace sign emblems sewn on the pocket, I still have mine in my jewelery box!! As a kid though I remember 2 favorite dresses, one was a blue 'tent' dress (remember those) I was flat chested so I thought it made me look bigger! Little did I realize my whole body looked big and then I had these stick arms and legs sticking out! The second one was red velvet looking material on the top and red polka dots on white on the bottom. It was my best dress and I still love polka dots!
Thanks for this stroll down memory lane!

Rachael
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #52  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa LoiselleView Post
I had three of those, in different colors. The snaps broke on one and I started using a safety pin to keep it closed. I was riding my bike to a friend's house and the pin popped. YOWSA!!
HI Lisa! OUCH!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #53  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Hmm....this is fun!
I'm another one from the 70s. I graduated HS in 74. We not only wore bellbottoms, but pants were better if they dragged on the floor. .
THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH! My hubby always wants his slacks to be to the floor in the back. The goofy thing is, he determines the length by leaning over to see how long they are. Well, when you bend over to look, they rise up! Of course they look shorter. Oh, and when you sit down they rise, and he doesn't like that look, so I end up hemming them to where the hem drags the floor. He wears out the fabric that way, of course. GRRRRRR! He graduated in 76 but should've been 75. This MUST be a throwback to high school days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #54  
Duchess of Dork

The girl teens I'm around these days all seem to wear the same thing: low rise jeans with large (not necessarily bell, but close) leg bottoms and tight t-shirts in just about any design or color. The boys wear t-shirts & usually kind of baggy jeans that hit the floor. Didn't they learn ANYTHING from watching us go through this? LOL! Some boys wear those really tight legged jeans. It's often the tall skinny guys, and my 12 year old dd & I think they look, well, kind of odd on guys. It's like leggings for boys. man leggings---can we call them meggings? This dd & I call those "shut up" pants. She was pulling on a pair of leggings (she is rather pixie like in size and that is one of the few styles we can find to fit her). She was mad b/c it wouldn't go over her foot. The worst thing she could think to say was, "Shut up!" So I asked her, "Oh, are you wearing shut up pants today?" That got her out of her anger & since then we call those shut up pants.

when I was a teen, the Gloria Vanderbilt Jeans (they were one of the few brands that fit my legs that apparently start at my neck---yes, very long legs) were in. Loved the Laura Ashley look, though I never owned any, I made some with patterns. Or Gunne Sax. Anything ruffly & floral. I still like that look. I guess I"m with Sophie on this! I remember shirts that had puffy sleeves. Also, there were these shirts that didn't button in the middle, but they'd button on one side or the other down the front (like right over your boobs). Oh, gauchos were in when I was in jr. high & then knickers in high school. Or maybe they weren't & I just wore them! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #55  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by okstamperView Post
Our fashion attire were those crochet looking high shoes with socks. We wore those with our famous Dittos pants. They look like the saddle pants and yes they were bell bottoms.

Funny thing is about the shoes, the style came back. When my kids and I are shopping, I show them and let them know that was the style I had growing up. I wouldn't be able to wear them today though.

Bonnie
OMG. You're the first person in decades to know what Dittos are! Cool! I had every single color they made and they were so hot. These days, that loop on the tush there wouldn't be the where it belonged, that's for sure!

When those bear trap shoes came back in, I passed. I'd been through it once before and didn't want to do it again -- like the blue eyeshadow.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #56  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
Mid 80's here. I'm having a tough time remembering, but I know I always wore a lot of pink. I remember I had a lot of polo shirts, argyle shirts, Levi 501 jeans were IT back then, neon colored sweatshirts, and long dangly earrings. Another thing I remember being very popular my senior year were sweater vests, I had at least three of them. I dressed very preppy in high school, and I think I still do, I own at least 4 polo shirts now.
Just as long as you don't turn the collars up on those Polo shirts, you'll be okay. One of my girlfriends actually STILL does that and I put it down every single time. Ack!

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Late 70's - early 80's: wrap around pants, Cherokee wedgies, Gunny Sack dresses (they were beautiful!), and jeans (I can't remember what they were called!) from the Army Surplus store! Dang! Good memories! And to have that body again?!! Please! I'm going to be 45 in a few days - how the HECK did that happen?! OP - ENJOY every moment and thanks for this walk down memory lane!

I actually still have my cheerleader outfit (w/ pompons!) up in the attic. I've just about given up hope of ever getting back into that skirt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

Graduated HS in 73. I remember the girls couldn't even wear pants to school until 1972. I always wore Levi's. I am very tall and back then I was stick thin, so they were the only jeans I could find that were long enough for me. Desert boots were a big thing then too and sandals. Hair was long and straight and I remember ironing my hair every morning. LOL, I had to buy my own iron and ironing board to keep in my room because mom was tired of sharing hers. Makeup was frosted. Frosted eyeshadow, lipstick, and I wouldn't go out of the house without eyeliner, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #59  
Kookie Creator

I wore stir-up pants, banana clips in my hair and two pair of socks (different colors, of course). I owned only 2 pair of shoes: sneakers and my "nice pair" of beige slip ons. I wore a lot of big plastic bead necklaces and matching earrings. I layered my shirts like crazy and always turned up the collar. I had BIG hair, but not by choice. My hair is naturally curly and they just didn't have the products we have now to calm it down.

Deborah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

OMG this is totally taking me back and making me laugh!

I was an 80s teen also

When I was in Jr high the rainbow phase was in, I remember really preppy clothing being in style then, ala The Preppy Handbook -- those turtlenecks that had everything on them hearts, turtles, etc. The polo shirts and the button down shirts. The Calvin Kleins and the Nike (white leather with the red swoosh only!) -- OMG those were funny times! Fair Isle sweaters, headbands.

In High School- I totally wanted to dress like Olivia Newton John withthe headbands craze and then the Flashdance dance craze legwarmers and ripped sweatshirt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 AM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

I was in high school in the 70's. Like others have mentioned I wore bell bottom pants & hip huggers. Peace signs were big. Another big thing was "Hang Ten" shirts and "Izod" shirts. The "Hang Ten" shirts were basically T-shirts with two little feet embroidered over the left breast. Of course the "Izod" shirts had an alligator on them. I had a variety of colors of both, especially the "Izod's" since I grew up by the beach in Florida and went to college at University of Florida (Gators). I also lived in "Slaps". These were a version of flip flop with a straw foot bed and velvet straps. As you wore them the straw would conform to your foot. In college I wore alot of hawaiian shirts and straw hats. I also wore "Hot Pants" and mini skirts.

Now I'm 53 and my favorite leisure wear is hawaiian print shirts and capri's (too many dimples in knees for shorts) and flip flops. I've done the "Professional" thing but when it comes right down to it, I guess I've reverted to my roots as I've gotten older. Or maybe it's just that now that I'm getting closer to retirement I'm not worried about impressing anyone so I wear what I like.

My stamping & scrapping reflects my taste. I'm a sucker for anything tropical, be it paper, flowers, ribbon, brands. I even have palm trees as the theme in my scrapbook room.

Love this thread,
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

OMG how fun is this thread!!
I had the rainbow sheet set that arched on the pillows plus the matching curtains. Also had the rainbow shirt, shoe laces, socks--anything rainbow I had to have it!! Also the headhead/legwarmer/flashdance style.
ot the skin tight jordache/Sergio-- dark dark blue with the white stitching. and of course had to have all those friendship safety pins with the beeads on my shoe laces, and the million jelly bracelets up my arm. then the BIG BIG hair and stirrup pants with a big shirt or blazer. Now I am just your normal
run of the mill dresser--usually jean shorts or jeans and a tee-shirt or capris
Don't like many of the styles the girls are wearing now--esepcially the whale tale--when their thong underwear stick out of the top of their pants--especially hard on the eyes when they bend over--UGH!!!

1 of Kota's kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

This is a fun thread...I was a teen in the mid-90s, but I remember a lot of the 80's stuff too, from when I was younger. What about jelly shoes anyone? or snap bracelets?

From the 90s...I don't really think i ever went with the trends...but some of the trends for girls were black skirts or black dress pants with everything. Jeans were still hip huggers. Big, chunky shoes, almost platform-like. Clips in the hair was pretty big. In junior high we wore a lot of flannel, button down shirts, with the whole grunge phase.

It certainly is funny to think back on it!
Reply With Quote Likes