Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #161  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
Ok, I know all of you swear by the rails bought at IKEA, but that only works if you have wall space, which I don't - my walls are windows! Great light is worth it! I wish I could put up the rail system, that would be awesome, but I can't.

Right now I have my punches stored in drawers and I hate it. I have surface space behind my stamping table on another table, but not sure what to use. I also have shelf space. I've tried a variety of items as racks, and I'm just not satisfied.

Any ideas BESIDES the IKEA rails or curtain rod system? I would like to see my punches at a glance.
I am not sure if you have already gotten this answer, but I use an Over-the-Door shoe organizer. It holds a ton of punches in all sizes. I bought the clear plastic one so I can see what I have, and the best part is, I think I paid $8.00 from Target!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #162  
Hardware Hotshot

If you don't mind spending a little more money this one is the same concept at the over the door shoe rack but it was made just for punches and has several more pouches to accomodate the various sizes of punches instead of shoes. http://www.crafterstoybox.com/store/totes.html

I love that I can see them all at a glance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #163  
Glitter Queen

For thrifty folks who want to organize their markers/pencils by color, I saw this tip on the Wetcanvas website by an artist. She tapes toilet paper tubes to a base of strong cardboard and stores colored pencils in them. You can decorate the tubes and cardboard and it can look quite pretty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #164  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnitescrapperView Post
These are on my wishlist!

Here are the links in case you want to look at these more closely:
Rails: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50072645
Storage Cups: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00115732

Katie B
I HAD NO IDEA you can shop online at IkEA!

thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #165  
Compulsive Stamper

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #166  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you can find an Ikea within 2 hours away, I say drive there. It's not worth the shipping fees. I wanted to order $25 worth of storage stuff and the shipping was twenty something bucks. I'd rather use the money for gas and get the stuff myself and right away. I go there when I drive to visit my family in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #167  
Stazon Splitcoast

i need more storage i am using my dinning room table as my scrap area due to me being in an apartment not enough room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #168  
Inking Addict

Default Tic Tac storage

I can't tell you how much I love using these little containers for storing little brads, etc. When my husband quit smoking he took up eating Tic Tacs. Way cheaper and I get the containers. I am beginning to run out of things to put in them. I may have to go shopping again. :-)

I have purchased plastic containers at Harbor Freight and really love them. But they seem to warp and crack. I don't know why but most of mine don't lock closed anymore. The outer containers are worse than the little ones inside but they all do it.

Someone told me they went to Dollar Tree and got 10 little containers for $1. She was putting treats for the baby in them. They have a clear bottom and white snap on lid. They measure about 2" x 2" or so. I bought some and actually store them upside down. Since the bottom is a little smaller square than the top, it allows my fingers to fit in between them to pick up the container. I will try them for awhile and see how they work out. I put the bigger embellishments in them that did not fit in the Tic Tac boxes.

I also have several of the Gerber plastic baby food containers. The tops seem to snap on really well and their larger size fits quite a few different types of embellisments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #169  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by timetravellerView Post
I
I have purchased plastic containers at Harbor Freight and really love them. But they seem to warp and crack. I don't know why but most of mine don't lock closed anymore. The outer containers are worse than the little ones inside but they all do it.
Wow, I wonder what happened with your Harbor Freight boxes. I have about 40 of the boxes and none of mine have warped, cracked, and they all still lock. Maybe your store got some bad batches. Sorry to hear that you had bad luck as they are my favorite storage container.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #170  
Hardware Hotshot

beer and winemaking stores sell a big bag of NEW CLEAN corks for very little..
I would be wary of wine residue discoloring my ribbon over time
I am a hoarder!

great idea though.

(thumbs up!)
it must look so cute to see...
all those chubby little stumps of ribbon...
are your corks kept in a drawer
bins?
or do you pin them to a board or what...?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I bag up all my embelishments that way containers squash as they empty and I can put the last bead or sequin in my pocket and go get more from the store...
I have them arranged by color in a organizer tray from Ikea...
well 3 actually...

---------------------------------------------------------
I love Ikea...
go often
make the catty live in your bathroom.. so you know what things look like and even some names of potential units you may want to upgrade to
and shop "as is" dept for sales.
bits and components are sometimes very useful and sometimes a shelf or cabinet you wouldn't buy normally can be a revelation at 70 % off the price for a whole pallet full of factory seconds.
I got EIGHT 50 dollar chairs for 40 bucks TOTAL one day!
they were from the cafeteria and needed a really good wash but I love them for my stampclassroom!
need a tablecloth for a class or a craft fair display?
check out the big bins of textiles in "as is" and pick out a sheet or better yet, a curtain panel...great for a long table.
I also got stairstep organization thingies that I use at craft fairs to show many styles of small 3-d items...
and when they redo the displays before big long weekends, I pick up my fave shelves to add to my stampcave...

OMG I told you all my secrets...oh-no!
you won't tell anyone else though, will you...?
lol!
Ikea should totally hire me to do seminars -I know every stampable or storable thing in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #171  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaluvs2stampView Post
For ribbons, I have them on dowels on a converted shoe shelf, so they're all right there easy to get to. They do get messy after a while with all the loose ends hanging down, but they're all in one spot. This is all I can think of right now, but hope this helps.
I had the same problem with my ribbon and the loose ends hanging everywhere. Then I got some tiny craft clothespins at JoAnn's and just clipped the ends onto the edge of the spool. Ta da! No more loose ends! I found mine at JoAnn's. They are not much $$$ - like 50 in a package for $1.99.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #172  
Glitter Queen

I had just a small, narrow space in my craft area and found a media tower for $10 at Big Lots for my punches. It's only about 10" wide and has 6 shelves. Each shelf can hold several punches. I grouped all the circles together, squares, etc. Then punched out each shape and adhered the shape to the shelf edge where each punch sits so I can quickly see the one I need. Here's a picture of a similar media tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Creative Storage-media-tower.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #173  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi friends - do any of you have a suggestion on what to put in the cool rolling carts? I have all my stamps, labeled and stored in the large plastic snap top case (x2- needing another). My paper is in separate totes - solids in one / patterned in another. I just purchased a container to corral all my ink pads as I do not have very many. I am now wondering if I should just sell my cart. I rarely go to swaps or camps. I appreciate your advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #174  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Well, I wish I had a really great idea for your cart. If you are not using it, and are in need of another container for your stamps, I think I would sell it and get the container....and if you have money left over....more stamps of course!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #175  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCrazeeView Post
I had just a small, narrow space in my craft area and found a media tower for $10 at Big Lots for my punches. It's only about 10" wide and has 6 shelves. Each shelf can hold several punches. I grouped all the circles together, squares, etc. Then punched out each shape and adhered the shape to the shelf edge where each punch sits so I can quickly see the one I need. Here's a picture of a similar media tower.
Wow you can't beat that price. I have a similar shelf and I have all my clear stamps and nestabilities in CD or DVD cases stored there. It's amazing how much you can pack into that unit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #176  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Stamping FunView Post
Hi friends - do any of you have a suggestion on what to put in the cool rolling carts? I have all my stamps, labeled and stored in the large plastic snap top case (x2- needing another). My paper is in separate totes - solids in one / patterned in another. I just purchased a container to corral all my ink pads as I do not have very many. I am now wondering if I should just sell my cart. I rarely go to swaps or camps. I appreciate your advice.
That is not a dilemma I can ever imaging having. I am always looking for more spaces to store items. But I guess it depends on if you have a good place to put your cart or not. I sometimes have people over for shoebox swaps or just stamping and it would be nice to have something to roll around with my supplies. But I also wouldn't mind having a place to store miscellaneous extras. Like punches, embellishments... But if you don't forsee needing any of those you might be better off selling the card and getting something you need.

Other items you can store in the card, Scraps of cardstock, stickers, glitters and embossing power, ribbon, markers, pencils, pens... I can't seem to find enough storage space. I'm always looking for new ways to pack more into my craft room. Do you have any kids? Maybe they can use it in their room?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #177  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I finally got it set up AND took a picture! This is how I'm storing most of my ribbon on spools now (plus some dangling pieces on the bottom rung). Of course I have tons more, but this is really handy for spooled ribbon that I don't want to take off....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #178  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by asuncionshijaView Post
Ok, I finally got it set up AND took a picture! This is how I'm storing most of my ribbon on spools now (plus some dangling pieces on the bottom rung). Of course I have tons more, but this is really handy for spooled ribbon that I don't want to take off....
This is a great idea...thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #179  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandbzmomView Post
I love these ideas that I'm seeing...

I got an over the door towel rack and put it behind my door to hold my ribbons. I just loosened up the bolts and pull the rods out to slide my ribbons spools on. Most spools fit but there are a few that don't quite make it.

For my glitter and embellishments, I got some little magnetic containers off of EBAY and some sheet metal from the hardware store. We painted and stamped the metal and then screwed it into the wall and then I can hang everything on the wall and still be able to see it.

I went to IKEA and got a curtain wire and hung it on the wall above my desk with the curtain hangars and hang my glue/pop dots and inspiration ideas and cards up so that I can see them all the time.

I also got some pegboard and hung behind my desk and got some of the hangars to put on it so I have a roll of paper towels hanging up, my scissors and hole punches fit in some of the holders. I hung towel racks next to my desk to put my larger SU hole punches in by balancing them on the bar.

Hope some of these ideas help...

Have fun!
How did you hang the pegboard? I don't want to attach it directly to the wall & thought of framing it. But, I know I need some space behind it so the hooks don't scratch my wall. Any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #180  
Cardstock Collector

I use a couple of different things for brads, eyelets, sequins, etc.. small things. One is a clear spice jar set that the jars sit down in a small tilted wire rack that I bought at Big Lots real cheap. The other is a stackable 7 day pill holder set that has screw on lids, again real cheap found at The Container Store. This one takes up no space at all, well maybe 2 inches and you can buy several sets and stack together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 AM   #181  
Rubber Obsessor

I got my peg board at wal-mart in the tool department. It is black and came with hangers and little boxes that hang on to it. It sits about 1/2 inch out from the wall and would be very easy to put a frame around instead of mounting it to the wall. I think it cost around $30, but is 2ft tall and about 3.5 long. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #182  
Rubber Obsessor

I am notorious for "repurposing" things. For all my decorative scissors I use a metal "shelf" usually used to add stacking space in a cabinet. I put the scissors through the grids, blades down. If I could figure out how to attach a picture to this, I would send one showing the scissors in the shelf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #183  
Glitter Queen

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetzWView Post
I got my peg board at wal-mart in the tool department. It is black and came with hangers and little boxes that hang on to it. It sits about 1/2 inch out from the wall and would be very easy to put a frame around instead of mounting it to the wall. I think it cost around $30, but is 2ft tall and about 3.5 long. Hope this helps.
What keeps it away from the wall? Is it made to do that? If so, that sounds like exactly what i want!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #184  
Inking Addict

OH NO, now I have to go buy a peg board
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #185  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetzWView Post
do u have a pix??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #186  
Matboard Maniac

Default Stampin' Up! ink refill bottle storage

I got the idea for my Stampin' Up! ink refill storage from right here on SCS. I'm not who it was though. you can click on the link and page down a little to see a picture. It works great! Costs less than $2.00 if you shop at Walmart. All it takes is a mearsuring stick, some elastic and staples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #187  
Inking Addict

I found a new way to store that last piece of a ribbon. I got about 50 empty film canisters from someone on Craigslist. They are white plastic that you can kind of see through. I cut a slice in the cap and then put one end of the ribbon through the slit and the rest in the canister. Put the lid on and it keeps it neat and tidy. And I can see what ribbon is in the canister because the end is hanging out. I put all my little canisters in a drawer of one of my organizer carts. I need more canisters but not too many folks use film any more. For now I will put a new ribbon in when I use another one up. And I will try and use up the ones that are still loose. I have the bolts of ribbon in a wooden box my Dad built me for another purpose. I'm a travel agent and back when we issued paper tickets I kept the receipts in these boxes. It is just an open top box about 4" deep with a half square cut out of the front panel. I store it on a book shelf and then just pull the whole thing out to see what ribbons I have. I will try and take a picture so you can see what I am talking about. The boxes were very easy to make out of 1/4" plywood and are really sturdy. I am trying to find other uses for the rest of them since they fit on the book shelf so well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #188  
Rubber Obsessor

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #189  
Rubber Obsessor

It is made to to stand out from the wall. I am attempting to attach pics. If you divide the peg board in 1/4th that is the size of each sections. They clip togeather or you can keep them separate. I aslo attempted to take a pic of how much it stands out from the wall. Let me know if there are any questions. This is my 1st attemt to upload pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Creative Storage-100_2985.jpg   Creative Storage-100_2986.jpg   Creative Storage-100_2987.jpg  

Last edited by BetzW; 05-03-2009 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #190  
Hardware Hotshot

de-leesee-oooh- so!
thanks for sharing!
awesome pegboard-a-rama!
I'm droolin' here ... I have ugly wall of cheap panelling that goes the whole length of the basement
...I wish there was a hole punch I could use to "peg" it up...
lol!

OMG
my dh just implied that I could use my dremmel...
bwahahaaa!
can't he tell by the neglected house that I don't have that kind of time?

he just got home with coroplast that I am going to put in my scavenged giftwrap displayer as shelves...
I will add photos when it is all purty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #191  
Hardware Hotshot

sometimes the peghooks get 'abused'
( just sayin' ...I'm not *accusing* anyone of hook abuse!!!)
and are all *understandably bent out of shape*...
( omg this is so punny...)
so it may be the hook and not the holes...

use the pliers to 'convince' them back into shape

and
for the record
it's true.
i won't be drilling holes all over the walls in grid patterns...
as much as I *want to*

lol

Last edited by charming; 05-03-2009 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: mobster joke
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #192  
Hardware Hotshot

my milk jug storage is going pretty well, so well that my dh brought home cool jugs from the oil they use in the fryers...
will work great if I can get the oil out....

also I scavenged some fridge innerds for the wire racks...
I was thinking of using them as drying racks
or for storage or display mounted on the wall

but the peghook silliness was on my mind, so i will try them between the wires of the racks as well....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #193  
Glitter Queen

Wink Ribbon Storage

I have just recently went on an Ikea shopping spree and re-did my scrap room. There are a few pics in my gallery of the shelves (Billy Bookcases) etc. I did find however a towel bar (in the kitchen gadgets) and we attached it to the ceiling in front of the cold room door (not used that often) and I attached my ribbon to curtain hooks by color, dots, stripes, ric rac etc. See pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Creative Storage-img_1303.jpg   Creative Storage-img_1302.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 03:19 AM   #194  
Crimping Master

subscribing to this thread so i can read it all later!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #195  
Kookie Creator

My storage solutions are an ongoing thing, as I increase my tools, and supplies, my storage needs change. DH and I are in the process of "changing" things again We got a few things at IKEA, and I also found some things at the Target Dollar spot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #196  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love this thread and am jealous of all of you who have entire rooms! I live in a two bedroom apartment with my roommate and I'm trying to convince him to let me have a small craft station in the living room. Let's see how it goes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #197  
Die Cut Diva

Copic storage anyone?
I finally made my own, very happy with the results .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #198  
Die Cut Diva

ahhh, finally, I tamed my shimmerz paints!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #199  
Embossing Fanatic

This is a great thread! Everyone has very creative ideas. Imagine--creative people hanging out here! For individual wood-mounted stamps, I bought wire mesh utensil organizers from BB&B and hung them on the wall. Mine are about 11" x 15" with three sections, each about 3.5" wide. Hung horizontally, each section makes a nice little shelf that holds several loose stamps. They're just 1.5 or 2" deep, so they don't stick out a lot, and the stamps that are too tall can sit on top. You can screw right through the mesh into the wall and they aren't very heavy at all, so if you can hit one stud, it should be secure enough. I don't remember for sure, but I think they were around $12, but just three of them hold ALL of my homeless stamps. This is definitely my current favorite creative storage solution. I love being able to see what I have. Before I came up with this, I had them all in clear plastic jars (bruschetta, salsa, and risotto jars) on my shelves and I always forgot what I had. Thanks for all the great ideas!
Michele

Last edited by mschele64; 06-14-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Hit the button before I was finished. oops
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #200  
Die Cut Diva

Do you have the cricut? Lots of carts, instruction booklets and keyboard overlays? See how I tamed them here Enjoy and tfl!!
Reply With Quote Likes