Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Distress Ink Ring Sampler - Why Didn't I Do This Sooner!

I use my Distress Inks constantly, and I have them in a great storage unit, and I have a sample label on the side of each pad, and I thought that was good enough. But then I did this:

Distress Ink Ring Sampler - Why Didn't I Do This Sooner!-dicolortages.jpg

I can't believe how much easier it is to put together the colors I'm going to use by flipping through the tags, whether it's for a background treatment or use with stamps. I love this little thing!

Probably lots of you have done this. But if you haven't you should!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 01-17-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rachel, what a great idea! I'm always pulling mine out to look/match colors up too! Did you just punch out a square and ink it up? (real good!) I think that this is something I might do tomorrow! Who knows maybe I will do this with all of my inks!! Could be an all day affair!!

Thanks again for sharing you GREAT idea! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I didn't punch first - I took a sheet of Whisper White and then rubbed each color on in loose squares next to each other, each big enough for me to use my small square nesties on (didn't have a square punch, which would have been easier). If you cut and then color, it would work, but harder to hang on to the little squares.

I bought some tags on Etsy, and the circle things at Office Max. Then I typed up all my color names on return address labels and printed them off. Then I assembled the thing. Once the materials were all in place, it took very little time to do. And as the ring got full of tags, it made me so happy that I enjoyed making it!

Like I said, I can't believe how convenient and useful it is! I am thinking of doing it for my cardstock next! That would be really useful!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 01-17-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the reply Rachel! I do have a square punch to use but will have to die-cut my tags. I have a label maker that I will use to label each color. Not that pc savvy to use address labels and make them! Would be much quicker I'm sure! Anyways they do look great! Card stock color tags too. One thing at a time for me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great idea! This is the sort of thing that is on my new year to do list. I have the square nesties. Will have to see about what to do for the tag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you google Ranger distress ink label sheet you will find they have them all listed. Just print off and put that on your tag. No typing needed. It is a PDF. Here is a link. I hope it works
Ranger Ink Pad Label Sheets | Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I am finding more and more that the most critical thing in organizing your supplies is not about storage of supplies. That's important, of course you need to be able to find things, but there is a level of organization beyond that, that has to do with having the knowledge of what you have at your fingertips, so you can make decisions easily. So getting a storage cabinet for my inks was great, but that didn't help me use my inks more fully, more creatively. The same with paper. I have my paper all nicely organized in files, and my scraps as well, but standing at my worktable I don't have a way - other than by memory - to decide what to put together. Not quick way to put one color beside another.

Stamps, well, that's the next thing to tackle. But that's a big one.

Arizona, as far as tags are concerned, I bought mine off Etsy, But you could take cheap index cards and cut them into thirds on your trimmer and then use a hole punch on them. It really doesn't have to be fancy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
Great idea! This is the sort of thing that is on my new year to do list. I have the square nesties. Will have to see about what to do for the tag.
@Arizona, another thought that you could do is to use your square as your tag! Cut your square, ink it up & put your label on the other side of it. Take a hole punch in the corner of the square and then put it on the ring!

Just to let you know, when inking up the square, the ink goes somewhat through the card stock! Maybe I inked up to much!! I did use SU whisper white!

Last edited by connie leone; 01-18-2013 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: added more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiecrafterView Post
If you google Ranger distress ink label sheet you will find they have them all listed. Just print off and put that on your tag. No typing needed. It is a PDF. Here is a link. I hope it works
Ranger Ink Pad Label Sheets | Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products
Wow, never thought of that! I used my label maker! Worked on this today and only have about 3 more to do! Then, I might start all of my CTMH ink pads.

@Rachelrose, thanks again for this great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
@Arizona, another thought that you could do is to use your square as your tag! Cut your square, ink it up & put your label on the other side of it. Take a hole punch in the corner of the square and then put it on the ring!

Just to let you know, when inking up the square, the ink goes somewhat through the card stock! Maybe I inked up to much!! I did use SU whisper white!
I like the idea of using the whole square as the tag because then you can put the colors right next to/on top of each other without the white space/border of the tag "interfering". Might need to do this...it would be nice to have a swatch of all my inks to hold up next to paper plus, for example, be able to see which red is a "true" red out of the three or four reds that I have. And to take on shopping trips to see if I might need (HA! HA! ROTFL!) to get a color I don't have. I've been sorting and purging paper and wood mount stamps the past two weekends but maybe this weekend I need to switch to putting away my inks since I have some upstairs in Craftyland and some downstairs in the living room where I dump everything when I come home from gatherings. When I make the ink swatches I also will write on the back which ink pads I have refills for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Love this- I have to do it. I did a similar thing with my embossing folders- embossed pieces of card and hung them all on a ring so I could just flick through. In the end, I found I had too many to keep on a ring, so I bought a couple of A5 ring binders, and putt them all in them. So easy to flick through & remind myself what I have.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 01-19-2013 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Love this- I have to do it. I did a similar thing with my embossing folders- embossed pieces of card and hung them all on a ring so I could just flick through. In the end, I found I had too many to keep on a ring, so I bought a couple of A5 ring binders, and putt them all in them. So easy to flick through & remind myself what I have.
I did this as well, but I'm sure I need to add to it! Don't know why I never thought of doing it with the inks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I thought of inking the whole thing, but I find that it helps me to see the color against white. Easier to see the undertones.

I didn't have any ink going through the paper, but then I didn't try to ink so that the swatch was evenly solid. I wanted some variation in it, because the colors look different as you intensify them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Great idea, I have just started to copy it. I am going for the squares on a tag as well and happen to have a tag punch that co-ordinates well with my square punch in terms of size.

I have put them together with a ball chain for the moment (and for lack of a binding ring).

Thanks for sharing this idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Still working on this project! I did all of my distress inks, CTMH inks and now working on my SU inks! Taking me a while because I have to die cut the tags and then punch out all of my squares! After I finish my inks I think I'm going to do something similar with my cards stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I am definitely doing my CS. I have tags on order. Then I'll punch a square of each and label. I really think it will help me make design decisions more effectively having the sample ring. Or rings. I may break the CS up by color sets or something, I think there might be too many colors for one ring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I am definitely doing my CS. I have tags on order. Then I'll punch a square of each and label. I really think it will help me make design decisions more effectively having the sample ring. Or rings. I may break the CS up by color sets or something, I think there might be too many colors for one ring.
Hi Rachel! I have all my card stock (SU) in royb,etc. order. I think when I do my tags I will do it like that as well. I use to keep all of card stock grouped in the color families, but if I was looking for a color, you could easily have to look at all the color families. With that said, I decided to group them in color orders. I find it much easier that way. Have to work tomorrow, so unfortunately ni play time for me, :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Wow great idea! I think I'll work on this this weekend! Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my all inkpads like this a while back, and I'm so glad I did (now I need to get better about keeping it up to date with any new inks I buy... LOL).

When I need to pick an ink to match a shade of CS, patterned paper, etc., I just flip through my ring. It's like fanning out one of those big ruler-shaped paint selectors they have at the paint store.

My next goal is to do my embossing folders the same way, although I'll do those at full folder size rather than small tags. I've even got the paper cut up to do it. Just need an afternoon where I have nothing to do but roll one folder after another through my machine!

(Oh how sweet that would be...;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Well, I've just done my Distress Inks, and my Adirondacks. I actually noticed with a few Adirondacks, that the colour on the lid was quite deceiving- Mushroom springs to mind, The lid makes it look very grey, but on card its definitely more brown. And Pesto. Theres a hint of green to it, so its a sort of dark Khaki, but I'd put it with browns, rather than greens. That just might be me though,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I found that with Distress Inks as well. For example, Old Paper has a greenish cast, which you wouldn't think looking at the lid. And Chipped Sapphire looks very purple on the lid, when really it's more blue. That's why samples are so critical. You can't go by the lids.

And of course they all look different the more heavily you apply them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, definitely the Chipped Sapphire- forgot that one. And Iced Spruce- greyer than I anticipated, and Evergreen Bough is not as vibrant a green as I'd have thought. And of course, the cardstock will also make a difference, but at least its a better guide to roughly what to expect than the lids, I agree. I'm gradually going to work through the rest of my pads, at least I've got the biggest collections done,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

While preparing my tags I noticed that the Distress Ink samples are not a perfect indicator to find the right shade of Distress Stain, especially for colour combos like Walnut Stain/Vintage Photo.

I have therefore put Distress Stain sample squares on the back of the corresponding Distress Ink tags, each time with parts that have one or more coatings. And to complete the back I also added a line of Distress Stickles where available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

That's a much more organized way of doing what I did, TMaja, which was to ink my samples unevenly, so that some parts would be more solid than others. It's very true that the colors can look quite different when applied more or less heavily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Oh, I just realized you were talking about inks vs stains! Duh. I don't have any of the stains (other than Picket Fence), so it never occurred to me that they would be different.

So far I have resisted the stains. I have dropped a bundle on the inks already. Adding in another addiction right now is the last thing I need!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I've done this as well (thanks to an earlier suggestion on the board) with my Distress inks, as well as my Adirondack inks and Copic markers. For my inks, I sponged and swiped the colors on, so I would have true example of what they would look like using these techniques. Oh, and then I label the piece of sponge I used and store all of them in a plastic floss box, so I have a sponge dedicated to each color ready to go.

Last edited by kiddielitter; 01-31-2013 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: adding more info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
That is a brilliant idea! Now I know what my next organizational project will be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Update: Just over halfway done with my card stock sampler. Have not even arranged it in any meaningful order but already using it and love the little thing. Again, why didn't I do this sooner? Now I can so easily hold colors up together without rooting through paper files, or trying to keep it all in my head.

Distress Ink Ring Sampler - Why Didn't I Do This Sooner!-cardstock-samplersm.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Default card stock color ring

Hey Rachel, how are you? The card stock color ring looks great!

TYFS,
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Update: Just over halfway done with my card stock sampler. Have not even arranged it in any meaningful order but already using it and love the little thing. Again, why didn't I do this sooner? Now I can so easily hold colors up together without rooting through paper files, or trying to keep it all in my head.

Attachment 267812
Wow, that looks fantastic! Great job with the nice precise trimming and labelling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

SO USEFUL! This is the level of organization that impacts creativity. How can I come up with great color combinations if my card stock is nicely stored away? Even if it's nicely stored and in view, it's just not the same as having the little chips to hold together right in front of my face. The ring sits on my worktable and at any moment I can easily see what colors might be right with something I'm working on.
Reply With Quote Likes