Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am a little more compulsive about storing scraps than any other storage LOL! I do save scraps, and use them a lot for punches, sentiment backing, etc. I keep them in quart size zip lock bags, roughly sorted by color. When the baggie is stuffed it is time to use more or sort out the smaller pieces! I stack the baggies in a drawer - I think it is called an Iris cart. I also save (and store the same way) some cardboard boxes (cereal, etc) as there are some neat patterns to use for die cuts, especially butterflies.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #42  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tons of scraps tooo.

And what ive found recently that seems to work is that I keep my main colors (pinks,purple,black,red,orange and yellow together,browns,blues) in page protectors and they are in a magazine holder(2) right next to my desk.

Now all my scraps wont fit, but when Ive used some up, I pull from big drawers under one of my desk to refill those page protectors. I use these everyday and have saved on buying more cardstock and dp!

Other thing I do is keep a basket next to my big shot machine full of scraps, and I use them as well for the die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VAView Post
I store each color of cardstock in its own manila folder. I keep full sheets of cardstock to the back of the folder and smaller pieces and scraps to the front. Then, if I need only a small piece of a certain color, I can simply look in the front of the folder.

Usually, if it's less than 1/2" wide, I toss it.
This is exactly what I do, except mine are in hanging folders instead of manila folders. It works very well for me.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Oh, I love scraps. I reach for my scraps more than I do my regular card stock. My rule is that I declutter them often and what is not my style goes to my Mom and her friends to fight over. I also won't keep it if I can't use a punch on it. My scraps are stored in large sandwich bags organized by category. I keep them in a pretty decorator box that is stored under my desk. If I want to make a card I just grab my box and create.
This is what I do too. Anything bigger goes into an accordian file
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 12:57 AM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
I throw my SU scraps (small ones--less than half sheet) into a sandwich size ziploc bag with their name on it. Now, I always reach for it first. They are all in file folders by color. I toss strips less than a half inch wide and other scraps too small to punch. I use my scraps first now instead of getting frustrated and slicing up another sheet!
This is what i do too. Anything bigger goes into an accordian file
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

All these interesting posts about dealing with too many scraps has inspired me to downsize my scraps. With the die-cutting machines, you have some good sized scraps. (die designers must be in cahoots with the paper companies) :-) Scraps that were not already in clear bags got put in an Archiver's bag for a homeschooling family or another bag to share with my cropping friends. My rule of thumb is "If I've not used it in a year and a half, then its time to pass it on." Thank you for all the good ideas you all share!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

After someone posted a link to a cute use for a dish drainer my mind started turning. Since I am a more visual person I used the see through page protectors and sorted my paper by colors. I labeled each one with the name of the color. If I only had a couple pieces of a color I grouped them together by color (SU Reds for example). Then I filled up the dish drainer. The page protectors fit perfectly across and I can see what colors I have. The smallest I keep are ones I can punch on. I always keep a few small enough for the 1/2" punch and the rest I toss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

rmcavanaugh....that was me that posted the link to the dish drainer. I love what you did with it. Great idea! Where did you get yours? I was hoping to find one cheaper than $8-9 like they are at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
rmcavanaugh....that was me that posted the link to the dish drainer. I love what you did with it. Great idea! Where did you get yours? I was hoping to find one cheaper than $8-9 like they are at Walmart.
Well thanks so much for the idea! I actually found it in the garage. I think my husband used to use it for camping. I just ran it through the dishwasher a couple times and it was great. (Of course it is green and not cute like the red one.) I saw some really cute ones at Ross the other day. They were pretty cheap. I made a batch of cards the other day and used nothing but scraps (except for the card part). It was great, I took out what I needed and then I put it right back in it's slot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
My most valuable and rare crafting item is my time. So I generally toss all my scraps. I will throw larger pieces back into the hanging folder with the rest of that color of CS, but that's about it. I really don't have time to try and remember if I've already punched a 1" circle in that color or go dig out a shape from a drawer. I punch as I need it and if I happen to change my mind, the old punched shape goes in the trash.

I figure that I *might* toss about the equivalent of 1 24 pack of CS per year doing this. And my time is worth much more than that $5.50, KWIM?
So practical. I love it! I will have to try to fight my packrat tendencies and follow your lead! Excellent advice...who would rather sort scraps than actually create?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #51  
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to Eriberry

What I use for scraps is a binder. They have these awesome polyflexible things that have velcro closures and I have a bunch of clear ones that I just stash all my scraps in by color. I love it because I can easily flip through to the color I need, and most of the time I can see the scrap I want before even undoing the velcro. I'm a bit of a binder head though I must admit, but I like that I can keep everything on a shelf and just run to it when I need something -- scraps, nesties, Cricut cartridges, slice cartridges, stamps, you name it -- all in binders. It makes my life sooooooooo much easier...I might even take the plunge and put all my stickers in to them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosMommyView Post
I do something similar to the file folder system. I closed the sides on mine so I don't get any strays in my bin, and I have a 2" x 4" rectangle on the front so I know what is in the file folder. I did a post about it on my blog if you wanted to see what I did. I always grab for it first and it's been good to keep the strays at bay.

Dee =)
Every once in awhile just cruising the blog shows me a gem of an idea. Dee, I've checked out your blog and left a comment. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

I placed a signed up (a small one) where I could see it the says "think scraps". It helps me to remember to go through them before going for a full sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Lots of good ideas. I wanted to quickly share mine also.

1) I use these cropper hopper scrap paper storage covers for my card stock scraps (Cropper Hopper Scrap Storage ). These are very sturdy and very useful. I have about 8-10 of them in a big basket right next to my table. I have one for each color family - Blacks, whites and kraft in one, pinks and reds in one, Yellow and orange etc.

I like these becoz it has one deep section in the middle for bigger pieces and the smaller sections on the two sides for smaller pieces, so If I know that I want a small piece of scrap, I am not searching all over. I really love this idea and it has worked out great for me. Since it is right next to the table, I will always reach there first before I cut an new sheet.

2) If I cut some Designer Patterned Paper, I put the rest of them back with that in the same cover and back into my storage, because with experience I have noticed that If I decide to use some BG or SU patterned paper, I look there first and I am more likely to use the scraps first.

for other patterned paper stash, I have a the sterilite drawer and I check there before I cut a new paper.

3) I have another sterlite drawer for my card bases. So, when I cut a CS for card base and if I just need one, I will keep the other in this drawer. So at any time when I am creating, I first look into this for the card base that I want and only if I do not have any there, I will cut a new one.

4) As another poster said, my time is precious, so if it is too small a piece or something, I just toss it.

5) Also now a days what I am doing is that if I cut a patterned paper and if i am left with a small scrap and I dearly love that paper and cannot think of tossing it, I am gluing it to a 12x12 paper that I keep. So I am thinking at some point it will be full of random patterned paper and I can create serendipity squares or something like that out of it.

6) Another school of thought that I am trying to follow and have not been very successful so far is to cut your paper with lot of thought so that there is minimal wastage...that has not happened that well..lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

I am doing a "scrap" week this week. I am making cards using my designer paper scraps. I figure if I devote the whole week I can use up a lot of the scraps. I've made 2 cards with some DP, 4 of some with as many as 12 using the retired Ginger Blossoms. I've also made some gift enclosure cards in 3x3 size.

I store my DP scraps with the full size 12x12 sheets in the large SU bags. It's amazing how much I have been able to clean out with my "scrap" week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by libby500View Post
When do some of draw the the line on scraps. In other words how do you sort them or do throw them a away etc. Please help.

I have a plastic organizer with wheels with several drawers. I labeled each drawer for colors of scraps, red, blue, yellow, etc. I go to my scrap drawer first when making a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been using up as many strips of papers as possible like this:

Scraps card 1 by sprtchick at Splitcoaststampers

My scraps were getting way out of hand and this is a great way to use them up. I think they are a simple but pretty card.

blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #58  
Cardstock Collector

I have two recycle bins from Wal-mart....one is for pieces of paper that have had images cut out of them with the cricut or spellbinders, quikutz etc. When it gets full I or I feel like tidying up I go through it and cut every piece of paper into squares, rectagles or triangles so all my edges are straight, otherwise they get caught on each other and rip. In the other one I have PINK file folders with all my scraps divided by colour. There are also two other folders, one for everyday patterned paper and one for christmas patterned paper. This system works best for me, and I keep everything, even skinny strips, you never know when you might want a strip of something on your card front or a couple of strips on a LO. If I cant glue it or reshape it and make it useful then it can go in the recycle bin for the curb. I use to just throw the scraps in that were even but it was too time consuming trying to search through the whole bin for the right piece, now its so easy and I use my scraps alot. Mainly for my punches. I also have a couple sets of Alphabet cookie cutter dies by quikutz, they are small so scraps are perfect for them. I tend to inherit other peoples scraps tooo, they cant be bothered to cut it all down, so they just give it to me. I think they are crazy, but they know I will use it, and if they ever need a scrap in just the right colour or pattern they ask me first now. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have all my solid color paper filed in hanging files by color in my desk. Scraps of the colors are just filed in front of the full sheets. I try to use scraps before cutting a new piece. Every time I use a scrap it's like "saving" a full sheet. I use a plastic paper keeper from Michael's for my patterned paper. I just made a bunch of Easter cards with scraps and it felt so good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

I have mine in hanging folder according to color family, with the tabs that match the cardstock and the hanging folders hang in a crate..works great, it doesnt matter how much I save. I have it next to my work desk on the floor and I can just drop the scrap in its folder as I work or reach down a grab a piece when I am creating! Bought the folders and crate at staples
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

GREAT IDEA!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have been using up as many strips of papers as possible like this:

Scraps card 1 by sprtchick at Splitcoaststampers

My scraps were getting way out of hand and this is a great way to use them up. I think they are a simple but pretty card.

blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

I used to be a cardstock hoarder...I'm now way more picky with what I keep...the rest I toss. I make it a habit to use the scraps tho. Like one crop, that's all I took. Of course I brought the white or vanilla for the base of my cards. Talk about a challenge at times, but that's the fun of it. I think it's time to purge again! There may be a drawer that I've neglected...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #63  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My golden rule is that if I cant use a punch on it, I throw it away - because I have lots of SU cardstocks I have a Sterilite 12x12 drawer for each color family and another below it for each color families scraps.

I put each color into it's own ziploc bag within the drawer and every time I go to make a card or page I've gotten into the habit of going to my scraps drawer first to see what I have - its so easy just to pull out each color in a baggie - you wouldnt believe how cost effective this has been and really reduces my cutting up or punching on full sheets of cardstocks - it has save me sooo much money and is well worth investing the time to do it

I try to use my scraps of DSP/scrapbooking papers as I go along - I make Top Note Die Quilts and use my Circle Punches for the bitty pieces like this card here which also works well to use up retiring colors and papers: http://sarahsinkspot.com/blog/2010/0...l-circles
Attached Thumbnails
To many scraps of paper.-img_6932.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all these wonderful ideas! My scraps have been laying in several little baskets so now I know what to do with them.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #65  
Kookie Creator

Default Another manilla folder idea

Here's another thought on the manilla folder idea. I bought folders at Office Max that have built-in pockets in them for the scraps. I have the folders in a large IRIS plastic tub with a cover. Works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempermomView Post
i have those stacking drawers, and some of them are about 9x12 and about 3" deep. ONE of them is for scraps only. when i can no longer close that drawer or fit any more in it, i purge it.!

i use to keep one very deep drawer but it got too over whelming for me.

now, i do keep all sizes of scraps because i do have a lot of punches and some are just right for tiny scraps...silly i know but waste not want not right LOL
I am in the process of revamping my craft area and was struggling with what to do with all the scraps sitting in cardboard boxes on the floor. I wasn't sure if it would work for all those scraps but I must say I am thrilled with the results! I bought two 12x12 3-drawer sets at Target to use for scrap paper after reading this thread. By purging the really small pieces, I was able to get rid of two cardboard boxes full of scraps and store everything else in my new storage system by color. I love it! Its right next to my craft counter within easy reach. Thanks for a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #67  
Embossing Fanatic

I have clear plastic expanding folders that I bought at Michaels. I think there were 10-12 in a pack. They are sold with the organization stuff. I have one for each color. If a print paper is mostly pink, it gets filed with the pinks. I keep all these folders in a basket on the floor. I can see what I need in the folder with a quick glance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a small box I've been dumping paper scraps in. Whenever my kids want to have fun, I send them to the pile. I'm looking forward to the day when my kids don't care to play with paper as much and I can send them to the grandkids. Hee hee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently cleaned out my craft room and came up with 3 boxes of old paper and scraps of paper... I knew I had a problem with organizing and using my scrap paper also...
To start fresh and get things cleaned up, I gave all my scrap paper to girls from my church who enjoy making cards but dont have lots of supplies. They have enjoyed it and I have enjoyed the result of a clean craft room... I am going to use the idea of the manila folders to keep scrap paper under control for the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #70  
Embossing Fanatic

I also had a real problem getting rid of any paper scraps. then we bought a house. when i had to pack everything up for the move, holy moly!! changed my thought process. i keep nothing smaller then a credit card and thats if its a really good color. I also do lots of scrapbooking so i try really hard to use scraps in there. its amazing how many i have used up and gotten beautiful results. right now i am making 2 baby girl books. i will do them till the girls are 1 yr old. by then i wont have any pastel scraps left! i am also in a card swap group at work and we meet every few months. we make 3-4 different cards to swap. i try to use scraps up on them also. sometimes i have the same card design but the patterned paper may be slightly different on each. i just turn them over and let them randomly pick their card upside down. no one is disapointed and i feel good about using it up. if all else fails i put a pile by the computer for notes. my dh and ds are always writing on whatever they find and this seems to work good for smaller scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes