Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 882 Likes on 524 Posts
Smile Organizing a craft room when you have pets....

I thought I had finally gotten a good storage system for my markers, colored pencils and some supplies, until.... little furbabies decided to chew on a few of my colored pencils, the top to one of my blender pens and pulled all the tiny paintbrushes out and carried them around the house. Needless to say, some kitties got to hear some cussing and hollering. Then I calmed down, and realized they did me a favor, as I read later on that water based markers are not supposed to be stored up-and-down.
Guess I'll get another one or two of the sterilite storage drawer thingys to store them in, so at least they will be laying sideways and "kitty safe". I will probably look around the house to see if I see anything I can use instead, but probably won't find anything better.
How do you store your supplies to keep them "critter safe"? Would love to hear any suggestions or ideas.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

This is a never ending battle. I have to keep my ribbon in drawers because that can kill them (mine like to swallow it) but my furries are obsessed with pencils and paintbrushes that are in my desk carosel. I use a squirt bottle for that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a door and when that fails (usually when DH is operating it) I use a squirt bottle to encourage the cat to leave

But when my space was in an open area I had to have things in drawers or lidded boxes/baskets (much less convenient). The most tempting things for my cat are paper and plastic. They were kept on the middle shelves (I had several 5-shelf bookcases) and those shelves had to be full or he'd find a spot to land. The lower shelves were accessible from the floor and there were other things in the room that made it possible for him to get to the top of the bookcase and reach the shelf below (he once pawed a sheet of paper out of a vertical holder! If I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it ... cats can never be underestimated!)

Hope you find a solution that works for you so you can have many moments of ...

Happy crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

Last edited by TeeGeeDee; 12-14-2010 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the door method also. Sometimes they are faster than me and get in anyways, or they sit outside the closed door and cry until I let them in. (Yes, I am a sucker for that) I usually find that they just want me to pull the blinds up in the window so they can sit there while I play. They are just as happy as can be to sit in the window sill. I don't use a spray bottle in there as I would probably miss the cat and get my paper. My ribbon is in drawers as I have one cat that can always find curling ribbon and she loves to eat it. Needless to say, I am now very paranoid about leaving any of that laying around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Tried to leave a post here yesterday, but it dissapeared into cyberspace.
I can't stand to shut my cats out of that room, as they love sleeping on the wicker bench with cushion in there. I broke down and bought some more of the Sterilite three drawer organizers; that way I can lay my markers on their sides to keep them from drying out. I got two, and I bought a storage container with a lid to put my colored pencils in; might be too large for my pencils; haven't tried it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

My cat likes to sit on a chair, or in the basket of paper scraps (he loves that thing)....or else right on top of whatever I am trying to do! He does try to eat ribbons and loves to swat embellishments off the table (practicing to improve his swing, I guess!) but he also minds pretty well if I take it away from him, he will settle down and nap...so I guess I'm lucky, except I'm still looking for some buttons.... ROFL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I put my ribbon box waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up high where they can't jump too. I'm still a little leery about it though, so I'm thinking that it will get moved to a draw.

My dog is the one who I have to worry about. He LOVES the smell/taste/texture of SU stamps. He goes nuts over them. As soon as I crack a clamshell, he's bounding up the stairs, drooling all over the place. He has gotten some, but not many.

My cats tend to walk all over everything, laying down in the middle of my project, chewing on paper. I have some "old" paper always on my desk for one of them to lay on, then I have another chair beside me, a kitty bed under that. Usually there is only two or three in the room with me, plus the dog.

****As you can see in my avatar picture, that's Renji, playing in my SU order box.

~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #8  

Here's a live look. This is usually what determines what colors I use - anything not covered up by her hiney!
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing a craft room when you have pets....-maddie.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
Here's a live look. This is usually what determines what colors I use - anything not covered up by her hiney!
How cute is that?

She looks just like my McGillvry.

He's sitting in the "cat chair" in our living room. It's so ratty looking, but it's the chair that they are allowed to do whatever they want to [like scratch, chew, climb, fight on] so it saves our other furniture.

~~
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing a craft room when you have pets....-pc160226.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #10  

HAHAH - OMGOSH what a beautiful kitty!!

He clearly OWNS that space!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I used to have cats years ago and I miss having them around. My parents live with me and recenly discovered that my mom isn't as allergic to them as she once was, so I have been considering getting a cat again. But now reading all this, makes me wonder if I should. I wasn't crafting when I had cats before, so besides forgetting to put the butter away, I didn't have to worry about them getting into anything.

My room is not messy, but I like how I have things. I don't have room to "put everything away" if I got a cat. Plus my mom shares the room with me and she has her own organizational ways of doing things. There is a door to the room, but I live in there when I'm not at work, so the door is never closed.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud as I consider if I'm ready for a cat again.

Trish

P.S. I LOVE black cats, your babies are beautiful. Siamese are my favorite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Trish- they aren't that bad.

Just watch your ribbons- if you can't put them away, then put them high where they can't jump too. My cats don't chew on pens, paint brushes, or lids. Only paper, and that's because I allowed them to do that before so it's hard to break that habit. The key is to train then when they are little then they know to stay away from certain things. Plus, cats tend to want to hang out with you, so have a little area for "kitty" to sleep on [like my stack of old papers on my desk or in Lydia's picture it looks like she has a towel down for her little furbaby.

My dog is the one who eats my stamps, but he's still a puppy, just a 78 pound puppy. LoL.

I'd get a cat, but I'm a huge animal lover- I have 4 cats and a dog, and I wouldn't even think twice before getting another cat, but my husband doesn't want one so I won't.

If your mom is allergic, or possibly allergic, then I recommend a Devon Rex, one that is a purebred, though, not the mix with an american short tail. The Devon Rex is perfect for people with allergies, we had two growing up because my sister had asthma and cats were her trigger. I love Devon's but can't resist rescuing, so that's why I got my hairy little guys instead.

~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Oh, I know they aren't that bad. I just remember the time my ex-husband left a pan of bacon grease on the counter, not thinking the kittens could jump that high. Needless to say the pan was spotless when we got home later. The kittens were fine, just had bad gas and VERY smelly litterboxes for a few days.

My parents don't plan to live with me forever, but they would come back to visit so that is partly why I am waiting. I love the idea of a furbaby in the room with me while I create. Curled up at my feet or somewhere near by.

If I got a cat, I would do a resuce and would probably get an older cat, but not sure on that either. I used to get my cats declawed, but I'm changing my mind on that now.

I had a Siamese who was half human. He was the best cat, but strange. He LOVED catnip. It made him crazy. We had to keep it in a special container that locked or he would get it open. He could open any drawer or cabinet door. He would only open the catnip container, nothing else.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Wow, I really hi-jacked this thread. Sorry about that.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Shameless Nap!

My kitties know the *rules* and are not allowed on the table or counter. I found this kitty shamelessly taking a nap one day on my messy work table. I didn't have the heart to yell at her and ran to get the camera.
Now days, I am fortunate to be able to close the door to my craft room - especially during the night while I sleep. All 3 kitties visit me often when I am working on a project. I keep their favorite toys (and snacks too)in here if they want to play. They enjoy sitting in the window most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing a craft room when you have pets....-peeps-5-12-2008-3-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherlaView Post
How cute is that?

She looks just like my McGillvry.

He's sitting in the "cat chair" in our living room. It's so ratty looking, but it's the chair that they are allowed to do whatever they want to [like scratch, chew, climb, fight on] so it saves our other furniture.

~~
That photo really made me laugh. I love the cording sticking out of the arm! So all I have to do is sacrifice one chair and they will stop clawing all the furniture? hehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Annnnd this is why I like dogs, LOL! Oh and the fact that I'm allergic to cats...so much so that I've been known to break out in hives:-)

I do like them though, I"m just glad my doggie can't get up on my desk...and she leaves all my other supplies alone! Although she does hide her dingo bones in the shelves where my stamps are, heehee. Anyway, enjoyed all the photos of the furries...at least the pics don't make me all itchy, ha!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I have 3 little ankle bitters. They don't get into much thankfully, but...

I have a large 4' x 7' work table. One end is against the wall leaving three sides open. Each side has a chair. I've had to pull the other two chairs up next to me for them to sit at. The puppy will often put her front paws on the table, as if she's helping me in some way.

I had to put one of the chairs back so that I could quilt. Puppy kept getting up on it, looking at me. Don't think she was happy about being 'moved' to the quilting spot. Later I was on the computer and next thing I know, is I have this puppy looking at me from over the computer monitor!

Seems she decided to hop up on the table and check it out, eventually curling up on the quilt I was quilting.

Sooo spoiled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Oh, I am sooo loving all the pics of the furbabies and stories! They are all soooo adorable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

I've got my pens in the tins you get those long thin tube wafer biscuits in. I lie them on their sides and just take the lid off what I want when I'm working. If I want to go to a crop, pop on the lid and throw into the cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I am feeling very fortunate. I have 6 cats (Three are fosters from a Rescue group I volunteer for) and they never bother any of my crafting stuff. Sometimes they play with ribbon that has fallen on the floor, but they never lay on my projects or get on my table. I have taken to storing everything in boxes which I think would be a way to keep beasties out. I did it because it just looks tidier. Now I just want to get all the boxes to match.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing all the stories! I thought my babies were the only psychos that got into the crafting stuff. Their cat chair is in the crafting room. I always have to careful when I throw out the trash in the crafting room...I think they play a game...they bat at anything on the desk and which ever one of them makes it in the trash can is the winner. I have found acrylic blocks, my ink refill bottles, copic markers...whatever I am forgetful enough to leave on top of the desk is fair game!

LOL! thanks for the chuckle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,947 Likes on 2,208 Posts

I thought I was the only one having trouble like this! How to move a kitty so you can get to work table! I have ribbon in the bottom of this cabinet. Most things that tempt him are out of reach. He doesn't seem to get into a lot of it. He just likes to sleep on the counter.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing a craft room when you have pets....-kitty-desk2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

One of my twin girl cats loves to bat things off tables. The other day I placed my new bundle on the kitchen countertop. Later in the day I saw the stamp set and the paper, but not the button container. I couldn't find it on the floor and didn't remember putting it with my other buttons.

First I thought no, it can't be in the garbage container, but thought of Masha's love of batting goodies. Sure enough it was in the trash can under the sweet potato cuttings and the other garbage. I almost didn't dig in because of the yuk, but glad I did.

Merry Christmas,
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Love all the furbaby pics! And the stories are too funny!
Finally made it work by using three of the sterilite drawered containers and several plastic pencil boxes. Now at least, the markers are all laying on their sides, so the ink won't dry up as fast, and I have all my colored pencils stored in those containers as well.
Guess the kitties were smarter than me; knew the markers were supposed to be laying on their sides.
Now, as for figuring out a way to keep them from laying in the center of the work area; have'nt figured one out for that yet! In fact, when I was trying to sew on the sewing machine last night, one of my kitties decided the best place to lay was right behind my sewing machine. Sometimes, when I would stop sewing, he would stick his head right in the middle of the sewing machine opening, or put his foot up there, so I'd scoot him further back, and he'd go back to sleep. He loves to lay on whatever fabric I'm sewing also (or whatever paper I'm scrapbooking with). He so wants to help! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #26  

Splotchy thinks the Big Shot Pro is his bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing a craft room when you have pets....-photo-6-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #27  
ckm
Rubber Obsessor

I have a cat and a dog. My cat will jump on the table and sit on the end or walk back and forth over everything. They just want to be with us. Loved the pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

My cats love my craft room. So do the dogs. We have a reclining love seat in there, which they really enjoy. Sometimes Bob the cat will sit on my shelving or something, but they don't mess with stuff. The only problem I have is that DH's brittany loves my markers. He will bring them to you one at a time if he can. Thank heavens he's got a very soft mouth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

lukcy for me i have a 4lb teacup yorkie that can't reach
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cat is 17 and couldn't care less about my craft area. He likes to be on my lap when I'm working in there, and gets upset if I'm fidgeting too much.

Here he is, at my old space as I was making last year's holiday cards.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing a craft room when you have pets....-linus-lap1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Such A Fun Thread!

Oh my goodness - subscribing to this thread because I can't get enough of all the adorable kitties. hehe

Muscrat - Your sleeping kitty on the counter is just adorable. Sweet Tux looks like my little boy. He had better watch out for that tail getting too close to the paper cutter. LOL

Understandblue- Splotchy is just too darn cute! I think he secretly uses that Big Shot to die cut a mouse or two in the middle of the night. hehehe

Oddesigns - Wow, 17 years old! Now that's a very well loved kitty! Such a sweet photo. I think he's waiting for you to put up that puzzle tower so he can have fun knocking it down! LOL

Heatherla - I think my favorite photo so far has got to be McGillvry posing in *his* chair!!

Thank you everyone for posting the sweetest photos.
psst.... the storage tips are nice, but I can honestly say that I'm enjoying the photos even more!! :mrgreen:

Last edited by moonpie11; 12-27-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,947 Likes on 2,208 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonpie11View Post
Oh my goodness - subscribing to this thread because I can't get enough of all the adorable kitties. hehe

Muscrat - Your sleeping kitty on the counter is just adorable. Sweet Tux looks like my little boy. He had better watch out for that tail getting too close to the paper cutter. LOL

Understandblue- Splotchy is just too darn cute! I think he secretly uses that Big Shot to die cut a mouse or two in the middle of the night. hehehe

Oddesigns - Wow, 17 years old! Now that's a very well loved kitty! Such a sweet photo. I think he's waiting for you to put up that puzzle tower so he can have fun knocking it down! LOL

Heatherla - I think my favorite photo so far has got to be McGillvry posing in *his* chair!!

Thank you everyone for posting the sweetest photos.
psst.... the storage tips are nice, but I can honestly say that I'm enjoying the photos even more!! :mrgreen:
I try to keep the cutting handle down for just that reason!:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Due to space issues, all of my stuff is in the closet or in the big drawer of my fold-down craft table.... but sometimes I do leave one caddy out with pencils, markers, scissors, etc.

One kitty loves the emery boards. Another is fascinated with scissors. He always comes around when I'm cutting something. And he likes to chew on everything. The third cat hasn't been too involved in crafty things - but he can smell Christmas bows and curling ribbon a mile away :rolleyes:

Having had cats for so many years I'm kind of use to cat-proofing. No ribbons, threads, plastic bags ever left lying around. And now scissors ;^) ~ oh and guillotine cutter!! That's a nightmare waiting to happen. And the chewer, he likes to chew plastic-y things too. . . you know, like the containers strawberries come in? SO... I just put it away. If I leave anything out, well that's fair game!

Love the photos... I'll have to remember to snap some when the cats are getting in on the action! And the dog that comes running when he hears an SU clamshell case, LOL!! Priceless!

My little one likes to lay down right where I'm working. . .somehow taking a picture of his adorable little self is never the first thing to cross my mind :mrgreen:

Now if I could only get the dog to lay at my feet when I'm stamping, I'd be happy!

TFS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Since our four pets - 2 dogs and 2 cats - are our constant companions,, they follow me everywhere. So when I get ready to craft in the evenings, I make sure they are well fed first. This is what they do!
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing a craft room when you have pets....-102_2494.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Your photos are priceless. I love these stories. I've never had cats only a black lab. As a pup she would chew anything and everything. Good thing I was not stamping in those days or I know I would have lost some rubber stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Guilty or Not Guilty?

A friend gave me a plant for a housewarming gift. Knowing that I have a bad kitty, I put the plant by my bed to keep an eye on it overnight and *safe* from kitty. Left unguarded the next morning for just a few minutes... and this is what the *Bad Kitty* did! Needless to say, he ran to hide and has never confessed. LOL He later plead "Not Guilty." Had to snap the photo for "exibit A" for his upcoming trial. LOL Yes, that would be the alleged perpetrator over there to the left for my avatar photo. This bad boy actually *Likes* the squirt bottle that is labeled: *Bad Kitty* and thinks we're playing a game when he gets squirted with water! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing a craft room when you have pets....-bad-kitty-3-.jpg  

Last edited by moonpie11; 12-27-2010 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

I think one of his cousins lives at my house, LOL.

Gerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #38  

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrambeckyView Post
Since our four pets - 2 dogs and 2 cats - are our constant companions,, they follow me everywhere. So when I get ready to craft in the evenings, I make sure they are well fed first. This is what they do!

HAHA - this is like Dr. Doolittle's couch!! LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=moonpie11;17713200]My kitties know the *rules* and are not allowed on the table or counter. I found this kitty shamelessly taking a nap one day on my messy work table. I didn't have the heart to yell at her and ran to get the camera.
QUOTE]

OMG, how cute!! I would not have had the heart to yell at her either. I guess that is why my cats get away with so much. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #40  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My BFF says of her dog that "her cuteness saves her" and I think that is so very true of our fur-babies.
Reply With Quote Likes