Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brayer problems ???

Well everyone..I tried my brayer yesterday and has "some" success I guess??
I DID find it worked better on glossy cardstock (vs. white CARDstock). It just
looked horrible?? and not matter what I did, I always got HORIZONTAL lines..
for the life of me, I can't figure out where the horizontal line is coming from??

Any ideas...help!! Maybe using it on cardstock just is not what it's meant for
and needs the glossy to roll on (and blend better) etc...Oh yea..using the
rubber roller as it's all I have.

Last question...when using the Spectrum pads where you have the five colors
side by side...do you keep the colors separated when brayering over them (as they recommend you do when storing) OR do you push them together so as to maybe?? blend the colors closer together?

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions...really want to learn how to
use my brayer as I've seen such gorgeous cards made with it.

Thanks ALL....take care...Jo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Default Brayer response

Hi Jo!

When I use my brayer, I only use it with glossy card stock so I can't speak to how it works with regular white cardstock. When I use spectrum pads I push it together so there is no gap in the pads and then I ink my brayer. I roll the brayer in the same direction (forward) and just slightly move the brayer to the left or right to help with the blending of the color. Because my brayer roller is slightly longer than the full pad, I will have a small portion of the roller that does not get ink. To ink that portion, I will swivel the ink pad so that the last color next to the uninked part of the roller is on the end and there there is open air next to it. Then I can run the brayer over that color without disturbing the other colors on the roller.

I hope this helps - and makes sense to you. It is easier to show than to tell.

Kristina

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

You will want to slide the Spectrum Pad colors together and even overlap while you are inking the Brayer with the Ink, this will give you a better blended look illiminating the lines. I haven't used Reg. CS but did read above that one gal uses Whisper White. I think you need a better quality CS , like WW so that the ink doesn't just absorb into the paper, it needs a little resistance to sit on top and be manipultated and blended around. I typically use Glossy, but want to try WW. Good Luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Alright, I'm gonna go try glossy CS now too!

You Can Stamp It,come for ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

go here!!
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinaGView Post
Hi Jo!

When I use my brayer, I only use it with glossy card stock so I can't speak to how it works with regular white cardstock. When I use spectrum pads I push it together so there is no gap in the pads and then I ink my brayer. I roll the brayer in the same direction (forward) and just slightly move the brayer to the left or right to help with the blending of the color. Because my brayer roller is slightly longer than the full pad, I will have a small portion of the roller that does not get ink. To ink that portion, I will swivel the ink pad so that the last color next to the uninked part of the roller is on the end and there there is open air next to it. Then I can run the brayer over that color without disturbing the other colors on the roller.

I hope this helps - and makes sense to you. It is easier to show than to tell.

Kristina
THANKS SO MUCH!!! I will stick with ONLY the glossy card stock and PUSH the 5 ink pad colors together. I DO understand what you mean by ONE end of the brayer being larger than the ink pad itself. I always end up having one side that has more color than the other (if you know what I mean??) or is white (where there is NO ink)...but maybe if I just overlap and scooch the brayer one way (or the other) I can get colors BLENDED without!! mudding up the colors too much. I've had that problem also??!! :confused:

If I try to re-ink the brayer to add more color, I can never seem to line it up exactly as I started...hahaha..Practice, Practice, Practice I guess eh??

Appreciate the advice. Any ideas where to purchase the Kaleidocolor Spectrum Pads? as I was given one, and didn't purchase it. THANKS again!!

Take care, Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Default Brayer Problems...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GizelabellaView Post
You will want to slide the Spectrum Pad colors together and even overlap while you are inking the Brayer with the Ink, this will give you a better blended look illiminating the lines. I haven't used Reg. CS but did read above that one gal uses Whisper White. I think you need a better quality CS , like WW so that the ink doesn't just absorb into the paper, it needs a little resistance to sit on top and be manipultated and blended around. I typically use Glossy, but want to try WW. Good Luck!!!
THANKS so much!! I am going to TRY and overlap colors and HOPE??!! that I don't muddy up the colors too much?? That was my other issue.

I think I have some whisper white cardstock...the one I used the other day was just plain white cardstock. Would make sense that card stock is maybe absorbing the ink up TOO fast...cuz it was definitely harder to blend colors on that vs. the glossy card stock now that I think about it.

Will keep everyone posted as I'm bound & determined to master this dog gone BRAYER "TOOL" and not let it intimidate me...ya right!!!! hahaha

Take care ALL..Bye (for now)...Jo :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 AM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyMn1View Post
First I used some photo glossy paper and inked the bird from SU Always set, in glassy glaze. Set it with heat and then used the brayer to apply color. The bird just looks muddy. It's been 30 minutes and the ink isn't dry. The paper "warped" when I heated up the glaze. So I took some cheap white card stock this time. I used the same bird, and inked it with versamark and the same glassy glaze once, then detail white, then detail black. I can see a little bit of color and design in the glassy glaze one, NO detail at all on the white one

I guess my questions are... you have to use some specific glossy paper, not photo paper?

Why don't the "resist" areas in white take the color like it does in the black?
Is the glaze a fine type of embossing powder? The other problem you are having is that photo paper is too thin for this type of technique. The amount of ink use & the heating with the embossing will warp your paper. If this happens you can flatten the paper by putting it under some very heavy books (like encyclopedias).

I have found it best to use a glossy CS, stamp with Versamark ink & then emboss with a fine, clear embossing powder & then use the brayer to roll the colour over the top. I always make sure to ink up the brayer by rolling it the same way over the Kaleidocolor ink pad, moving it slightly either (to the left or right to make the edge uneven). Then I start rolling off the edge of the CS (on scrap paper) onto the CS & off the other side in a back & forth motion.

You can use non-glossy CS but you have to work much harder & it takes a lot longer to blend the colours & it seems to use a lot more ink. The glossy CS allows you to blend better as the ink remains on-top of the CS for awhile before settling into it. Just keep trying & see how you go. I hope that this helps you out, let us know how you go.

Sue, in wintery Australia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks very much Sue. I'm going to try that. I have UPS coming TODAY with the things I ordered out of the new catalog and can't wait to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

I realized that my tip was probably more confusing than enlightening. I am such a hands on person that it is always helpful to me to see something and then the lightbulb goes on.

I found this link at the Archivers website and if I did this correctly, you should be able to click on this link and go to a video tutorial about using your brayer with spectrum pads and how to cover your entire roller with ink before you put it to paper.

http://www.archiversonline.com/video/brayingvideo.html

HTH
Kristina

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up BRAYERING HELP!! THANKS!!!!!

Quote:

I realized that my tip was probably more confusing than enlightening. I am such a hands on person that it is always helpful to me to see something and then the lightbulb goes on.

I found this link at the Archivers website and if I did this correctly, you should be able to click on this link and go to a video tutorial about using your brayer with spectrum pads and how to cover your entire roller with ink before you put it to paper.

HTH
Kristina
By GOLLY I think I finally understand the concept!! GREAT VIDEO for the right way to use your brayer, and the wrong way...( I was doing it wrong )..obviously..hahaha

THANKS KRISTINA for the link and ALL your help. I'm off to spend the day brayering!! Have a great weekend!!

Take care, Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Default Brayering Using Stampin' SPOTS ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccView Post
Here are two techniques I use to avoid getting a straight line.

1. Make a "sloppy stripe" on the brayer. I like the ink on the brayer to have choppy edges. If the ink isn't in a straight line on the brayer, it won't make a straight line on your paper. Stampin' spots are great for this technique. I hold the spot in one hand and the brayer in the other. I use the spot to spin the brayer while I'm inking it (hope this makes sense). You can make a sloppy stripe with the full ink pad. It takes a little more practice.

2. I ink the brayer and then spritz water on the brayer. I spray above the brayer so the water kind of mists onto the brayer. The water makes the classic ink just runny enough so that it won't leave a hard edge.

Good luck. Brayer techniques are some of my favorites.

Sharon Cheng
Richland Hills, TX

Hi Sharon...I was just curious if using the Stampin' SPOTS...do you apply ONE color at a time (as obviously it would be hard to hold more than one spot..hahaha) or are you only using one color? If using more than one spot (or color), do you just wait a few seconds and go on to the next color, etc? starting where you left off I guess? is what I'm trying to ask??

I love the idea of misting the brayer also to get out some of the harshness that I tend to get between the colors...but KristinaG sent me a great link from Archivers and they have an awesome brayer video!! I would suggest anyone that has problems (like me) with brayering, check it out.

Take care...Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

The Archiver's tutorial was interesting. I knew how to ink up the brayer. However I thought I had to put clear or white embossing powder over that versamark and heat it before applying ink over it. I never considered using the versamark alone. Thanks !

I have used a technique of picking some craft colors you like together and using the brayer, applying them over glossy cardstock. You don't just do it in one direction, but here and there until you are satisfied with it. You have to experiment some. I saw the technique here on SCS and I don't remember the name of it. We used it at our group at church and had fun with it.

Last edited by HollyMn1; 08-28-2008 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Talk to me about brayering?

Go to Michelle Zindorf's blog. On it she has many tutorials and she answers many of your questions about brayering. http-zindorf.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com She does the most beautiful work! How blessed she is.

Sillyfilly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

HTH
Kristina
Thanks so much for the link! I can learn lots of different ways, but who doesn't love to watch a video demonstration??

You Can Stamp It,come for ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyMn1View Post
I've used a brayer a few times and wanted to do some resist work using spectrum ink pads. I definitely didn't get the results I wanted to. Good thing I am experimenting!

First I used some photo glossy paper and inked the bird from SU Always set, in glassy glaze. Set it with heat and then used the brayer to apply color. The bird just looks muddy. It's been 30 minutes and the ink isn't dry. The paper "warped" when I heated up the glaze. So I took some cheap white card stock this time. I used the same bird, and inked it with versamark and the same glassy glaze once, then detail white, then detail black. I can see a little bit of color and design in the glassy glaze one, NO detail at all on the white one ( I thought the ink would color the areas where the design isn't there so the rainbow colors would show there.) The black detail on the white cardstock works the way I wanted it to. I hope you can follow this.

I guess my questions are... you have to use some specific glossy paper, not photo paper?

Why don't the "resist" areas in white take the color like it does in the black?

I will print out the ideas above! Thank you.
I did not know glassy glaze was an extra thick embossing powder. This explains a lot.

Cracked Glass Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #57  
ccc
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
Hi Sharon...I was just curious if using the Stampin' SPOTS...do you apply ONE color at a time (as obviously it would be hard to hold more than one spot..hahaha) or are you only using one color? If using more than one spot (or color), do you just wait a few seconds and go on to the next color, etc? starting where you left off I guess? is what I'm trying to ask??

Take care...Jo
Hi Jo,

I do apply one color at a time. I like to move to the next color quickly (as long as it takes to load the brayer and spritz it with water) so the colors mix a little where the ink is still wet. That gives you a third color and makes it more difficult for others to tell that you used a brayer to apply the color. It also helps to roll the brayer in different directions rather than in one straight line.

Several of the cards in my gallery use brayering for the background. This one shows a mottled background from using the spots the best.

Designer Label Punch - CASE'd by ccc at Splitcoaststampers

When you mix colors, you'll want to consider what colors you are mixing. For example, yellow and blue make green. Yellow and purple make an ugly brown/black. Sometimes if you don't like your results when you are using more than one color, you might try changing out one of the colors.

Happy stamping,

Sharon
www.sharoncheng.stampinup.net
http://scandcompany.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #58  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up Thanks for help with brayering using S-Up Spots!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cccView Post
Hi Jo,

I do apply one color at a time. I like to move to the next color quickly (as long as it takes to load the brayer and spritz it with water) so the colors mix a little where the ink is still wet. That gives you a third color and makes it more difficult for others to tell that you used a brayer to apply the color. It also helps to roll the brayer in different directions rather than in one straight line.

Several of the cards in my gallery use brayering for the background. This one shows a mottled background from using the spots the best.

Designer Label Punch - CASE'd by ccc at Splitcoaststampers

When you mix colors, you'll want to consider what colors you are mixing. For example, yellow and blue make green. Yellow and purple make an ugly brown/black. Sometimes if you don't like your results when you are using more than one color, you might try changing out one of the colors.

Happy stamping,

Sharon
www.sharoncheng.stampinup.net
http://scandcompany.blogspot.com/
Thanks Sharon!! I LOVE the card you made...and the colors!! Am going to give this a try using the Stampin' Spots and maybe just two colors..to start with.

Appreciate your help!! Have a great Labor Day!! Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathy tuckerView Post
Just in case you are now aware.... the magnificent Zindorf has a blog and she has fabulous tutorials..... Just look at one of her newest uploads and she has a link...
I just found her blog. She has some amazing cards! Saved it to my favorites. Definately going to have to try some of her techniques. I have only ever used my brayer to put Radiant Pearls on cardstock for backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #60  
Kookie Creator

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 182 Likes on 84 Posts

GOTTA get a brayer now!!!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

Got a brayer today and was playing with it trying to do the brayered sky from the tutorial by the talented Ms. Zindorf. Um....apparently I need to practice some more!
But this is a fun tool and this thread helps a lot! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes