Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATG Gun and Tape Depot Tape

:rolleyes:I have an ATG gun. I bought about 2 dozen rolls of tape for it from Tape Depot. Here is the problem. I CAN NOT keep the tape on the roller!! It keeps sliding off the side. Am I doing something wrong? Is it the tape? I found that on the return roller the tape keeps moving toward the top and that is when the tape slides off. Should I just not be so cheap and buy Scoth brand tape for it? I am at a loss. I really want to love this gun as much as I should it just really frustrates me! Help!!

My Small but Growing Gallery!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I converted my 700 to a 714 and bought the Tape Depot refills. The first refill I did have problems with it slipping. I have not had any problems with the next rolls. I think I put that first one in a little wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #3  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 637 Likes on 447 Posts

I have bought it and have not had that problem. Can you try another roll?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

I love my ATG ... but I have never used anything other than the Scotch 924 refills. Although the tape stays right at the edge of the roller, mine has never slipped off. Best wishes in figuring out the solution. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also only used Scotch. I've only had that problem when I've not put the roll on right or have a tension issue in the roll (usually not enough tension). Try reloading your roll. Also make sure you put on the last piece of black plastic (the part that clicks on after you put the tape into the roll but before you close the cover). If you don't put that piece on, it affects your tension.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargyrle55View Post
:rolleyes:I have an ATG gun. I bought about 2 dozen rolls of tape for it from Tape Depot. Here is the problem. I CAN NOT keep the tape on the roller!! It keeps sliding off the side. Am I doing something wrong? Is it the tape? I found that on the return roller the tape keeps moving toward the top and that is when the tape slides off. Should I just not be so cheap and buy Scoth brand tape for it? I am at a loss. I really want to love this gun as much as I should it just really frustrates me! Help!!
I had a problem with the spool of tape riding up and not staying locked down into the grooves. I took an empty spool and had to place that one overtop the one that actually had tape on it. Kept it in place. Try that.

btw...I ended up giving the ATG 50 from Tape Depot to my daughter-in-law and bought the 3M 714. Haven't had a problem with the 3M one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #7  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinMomentsView Post
...btw...I ended up giving the ATG 50 from Tape Depot to my daughter-in-law and bought the 3M 714. Haven't had a problem with the 3M one.
Whoa! I didn't realize that there an ATG version out there "other than" the two by 3M. I should clarify that my previous comments pertain to the 3M 714. ;)

Learning something new everyday -- It's a good thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I have tape depot gun and tape. I had problems with the first roll, but it was because I didn't have it on correctly. Haven't had a problem since. I have mine for 2 years now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #9  
Demo Challenge Leader

I "had" to know.
So, I googled Tape Depot ... looked up their "ATG" dispenser.

Sadly, this dispenser sold by Tape Depot is NOT the same ATG gun that so many of us here adore.

I stand by my ATG 714 .... it is clearly labeled "Scotch 714" across both sides... and being it is model 714, my dispenser is red. The only other Scotch ATG is "yellow" ... and this one accepts 1/2" wide Scotch ATG refills.

Because I only use Scotch 924 refills for my ATG, I simply cannot speak to the issues or adhesive qualities of any other ""ATG"" type products.

Best wishes in your quest! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I use the TapeDepot tape with my ATG 714 and it works fine. I bought 12 rolls (with the ATG50). I'm keeping and using the tape as it works well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I had/have this problem w/ both the Scotch and the Tape Depot tape, when I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing. I've discovered that when applying the adhesive, you have to make sure the entire roller is on the paper rather than just the side w/ the adhesive. For some reason, I occasionally tilt up the side of the roller that doesn't have the adhesive. Hope that make sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

I bought 24 rolls of tape depot due to the great money savings and unfortunately, I regretted it from the first time I used it. I had trouble with the first roll and figured it was a fluke and tried a second and third roll and had issues with all. I contacted them and was told the tape must either be old or stored improperly (but I JUST bought them!) and they were not at all helpful. I have heard many folks who have had no problems. I went back to using only 3M tape and have not had an issue since. I have the red Scotch ATG gun and except for the above I have been very happy with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I use the gun and the tape for the tape depot. I haven't had any problems with either one. I purchased three dozen rolls of tape from them so far. I love the inexpensive version. I have noticed that different products work different for everyone, so maybe the gun they sell isn't the right one for you. I'd at least try adding another roll before you give up on it completely. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Look at your tape rolls

Are they "wilted" mine were curvy and I flattened them with a heavy book and then they worked fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I have the ATG 714. Maybe I'm just not holding it on the paper right. I'll keep monkeying around with it. Hopefully I will get it to work right with the Tape Depot tape. Perhaps if I hold my tounge just right............................

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaimeCView Post
Are they "wilted" mine were curvy and I flattened them with a heavy book and then they worked fine.
AH HA!! Maybe this is the problem!!! I'll look when I get home. They are in a box and sit on the edge of the roll instead of flat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I LOVE my ATG gun! Unfortunatelly, I bought a lot of refills from Tape Depot and the little white "wheel" in the middle does not fit right on my gun, and therefore, the tape can not be used
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Bought an ATG 50 when I had to send my 3M 714 back because it was one of the 'bad' ones. Never did like the ATG 50 and finally gave it to a friend that loves it.

I have ordered and used lots of tape from The Tape Depot with no problems. Only had problems when I used it in the ATG 50 - didn't come off the spool correctly and bunched up on the uptake roller. I will reorder tape from The Tape Depot when I run out. Sorry it is not working correctly for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have gone through around 100 (yes 100) rolls of 714 ATG tape from the tapedepot. I have never had a problem unless I threaded it wrong or didnt get one of the little thingys (you know the white holder on one side or black holder on the other side) on correctly. I am so sorry that some are having problems. I use so much of this stuff on cards for the soldiers...blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

There is a really GOOD video on YouTube on how to refill the ATG 50 Tape Gun from the Tape Depot. There are a couple of teeny tiny things that if you don't do them properly will mess everything up; it will look right but won't work right.

This video is a lifesaver! I hope it helps anyone with the Tape Depot gun. I am a show me person, and I loved seeing it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtyKPRoeOgA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I have the ATG 714 and use the Tape Depot tape. I had the same problems and made a template out of the clear plastic containers that SU stamps come in or any other heavy clear plastic. I cut it like a tire to fit over the roll of tape in the dispenser. It should fit snug and under the little black center thing. HOpe this makes sense. It works great. I have been using this template for about a year with no problems!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

Talking ATG Guns/tapes

I love my ATG gun, I have the original Red one. I have always ordered my gun and tapes from framingsupplies.com:

http://framingsupplies.com/3M/3MATGTape.htm

They have two types of 1/4 tapes, one is like 2.40 per roll if you order 12 and I use it for cards, and non-scrapbook pages

The other is GOLD and is acid free, and it is only like 3.25 per roll if you order 12.

They are super fast to ship and have nothing but great things to say about this company. I highly recommend them for all ATG guns and tape, I believe they are the cheapest. I have never had any trouble with the tape or the gun and have had it for at least 3 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnephelpsView Post
There is a really GOOD video on YouTube on how to refill the ATG 50 Tape Gun from the Tape Depot. There are a couple of teeny tiny things that if you don't do them properly will mess everything up; it will look right but won't work right.

This video is a lifesaver! I hope it helps anyone with the Tape Depot gun. I am a show me person, and I loved seeing it!

This is an excellent video. It's the one I watched even before I got my ATG 50. I bookmarked it so that if I need a refresher, it's easily found. I've never had any problems either loading or using this model, and I also use the off-brand tape refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd EganView Post
I love my ATG gun, I have the original Red one. I have always ordered my gun and tapes from framingsupplies.com:

http://framingsupplies.com/3M/3MATGTape.htm

They have two types of 1/4 tapes, one is like 2.40 per roll if you order 12 and I use it for cards, and non-scrapbook pages

The other is GOLD and is acid free, and it is only like 3.25 per roll if you order 12.

They are super fast to ship and have nothing but great things to say about this company. I highly recommend them for all ATG guns and tape, I believe they are the cheapest. I have never had any trouble with the tape or the gun and have had it for at least 3 years.

Ditto! I shopped HARD and framingsupplies turned out least expensive and best quality and service. The tape comes via Priority shipping, which I resent paying for because I'm never in that much of a rush, but their tape price is the lowest, so it balances. And 3M tape can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnephelpsView Post

I have to second (or third) this video! Getting the tape to stay on was hit and miss for me until I saw this. It turns out that I wasn't locking the tape in place properly every time. Good luck.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

duplicate post, sorry!

Last edited by barbara32ca; 06-17-2010 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Default tape depot tape

This has happend to me with tape from both places and with both guns (I have them all)
I found that if the spool is not seated all the way down, and "locked"in with the little tab in a space, then it rides up and the spool comes off the roller. Also watch that you are pulling straight back when you roll not off to the side, like a tilt. My lefty girls have a problem with that.
Good luck
ps. I dont think its the tape.. i have gone through 100's of rolls of the tape depot kind and sometimes it does stray but I just push it back on or reload.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
I LOVE my ATG gun! Unfortunatelly, I bought a lot of refills from Tape Depot and the little white "wheel" in the middle does not fit right on my gun, and therefore, the tape can not be used

i bought the wrong kind of refills for my gun (it wasnt alot, only 3) but i just snapped off the plastic case and used it like scor tape. i know that defeats the purpose of having a gun for speed and ease, but at least you wont feel like you wasted your money.
Reply With Quote Likes