Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default CB Plate problem

Okay, I did crack the first set of B plates I got and I didn't call the company (I did actually, but I didn't push the issue because I assumed it was my fault...) , so I bought replacement plates and although I haven't cracked them, one plate is noticeable warped! I haven't used it that much, I cut some letters with thin chipboard and tonight I cut some letters with regular Cardstock..is it me? Or did Provocraft not test these cutting plates enough?
I know other users have cracked their plates...does anyone else have warped plates? Thanks for listening - tomorrow I call Provocraft!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plates on my Big Kick got noticeably curved after Iused them a bunch without flipping them around. I assumed this was normal, and counteract it by turning them over every so often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I cutting plates do the same thing. This is normal. They should be flipped often to prevent warping. If I had that much pressure on me I'd warp, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Default Are the plates covered in warranty?

Does any one know if the plates are covered in warranty for a certain period of time. The machine it self has a 1 year guarentee. It is kind of freaky when the thing cracks and pops, and I am only doing cardstock right now. I am almost afraid to try chipboard. Look forward to hearing other responses to this problem because it could costly to have to replace the plates very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 06:20 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

The B plates are NOT designed for long term use - the more you use them with a cutting intrument (i.e. the dies) the lower thier life expectancy...

what happens is that everytime you cut with a die it etches the plate - over time the plate will be come weaker at one point over another and just like when you chip your windshield it will eventually break...

IMO - it is not a product flaw - if you were to only use Embossing folders over and over again the plates would last for a long time - but if you are a heavy cutter - welll.... - this is especially true if you are using larger Sizzix dies or thicker material like chipboard (BTW the smaller dies will not cut all the way through Medium Weight Chipboard very well - just an FYI) because the thickness is not evenly distributed across the entire plate and will go from a very high tension to one of very low once the material has passed thorugh and could cause your plate to crack

I make sure I move mine all around to get the maximum use out of mine - flip them over, move the top one to the bottom, etc...depending on where they crack you can still use them - I had one crack at the top - I just used that one on the bottom for awhile until it cracked in the middle...

I have started buying extra plates when I have an extra 40% off coupon at Micheals... so for 2 plates it costs me less than $5...I do have 1 set of B plates earmarked for EMBOSSING only....that way the plates are not cut or scratched in anyway and are nice and smooth....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you for all that info...you should write the CB instruction pamphlet, since none of that info was included with the product...I have never owned any type of die cutter, I saw a Sisix demo'd once, so I didn't have a clue until I started using it, then I learned the hard way...but as you say, I will definitely rotate the plates and save the coupon to get new ones, and that is a good idea to save a new set just for embossing...thanks again.
Pat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, thanks so much for the info. I like the idea of saving a new set of plates just for embossing. Great tip.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 04:54 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I always use the same B plate on top. I do flip mine after a few runs. I also move the die position after every run. And like Jenmouer I have an extra set of B plates, just incase.
Reply With Quote Likes