Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuttlebug or Big Shot

I have a Cuttlebug machine that is about 7-8 years old. Dies aren't cutting in the center quite well, so thinking - what about a new machine.! Unsure though about the Big Shot. Seems to be different kinds available. In comparing the Cuttlebug with the Big Shot, which one do you prefer? And exactly what is the difference in the Big Shot machines that are available now?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Default Big Shot machine!!

Big shot all the way!! If I'm correct I believe the as far as the Bug Shot goes, the manual ones are the same except for the color. If I'm wrong somebody please correct me! The big shot pro is a larger heavier electric machine.

You should check out Sizzix.com - Die-Cutting and Embossing Tools for Today?s Crafter and there should be a comparison on the machines!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,199 Posts

I love my Big Shot. Use it daily. Bought it from Stampin Up so I paid more than you could if you found it online. I also bought a Big Kick, which can be purchased in stores, for a friend. While it is the same machine basically, my big shot seems much more solid and sturdy. My friend has NOT had any issues with the Big Kick I got her, so I'm sure it is a great machine too. I just prefer the feeling of "well built" that I get when using my BS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have my original Cuttlebug that I bought about 5 years ago. I use it nearly every time I make a card, and it's still going strong. I've had to get replacement cutting plates, but my machine still works well.

I recently got a really good deal on the Big Kick at Tuesday morning. It was only $29.00. I got up early when it was on sale there and managed to snag one.

It's my "back-up" for my Cuttlebug and it's still in the box waiting until I need it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I have both a Cuttlebug and a Big Kick [like the Big Shot]; I prefer to use the Big Kick for die cutting since it's heavier and cuts the intricate dies better. If I'm using Nestibilities, the Big Kick gives me a good embossed image while cutting so it's a one step process for me. I use the Cuttlebug for my embossing folders and take it to my card making class since it's lighter weight and portable and the Big Kick is heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Big Shot Pro, and love it. It is very big, so you need space for it. My reasoning was that I was getting fed up with dies etc getting bigger and my 'bug couldn't take them, and I thought that going as lasrge as possible was the best long term investment. and it is a manual machine, btw.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a Big Shot & Cuttlebug. Big Shot is the same as Big Kick. Different name but same machine.

Big Shot is sturdier. Embossing folders you can run through either horizantally or vertically for different embossing looks. Can take some of the wider dies that the Cuttlebug struggles with. I highly recommend the Big Shot over the Cuttlebug if your a textile artist. I am really love that machine for my textile work.

Paper crafting I prefer my Cuttlebug. I would be so lost without my baby. She's my go to girl for all paper crafting. I don't use her for anything else except paper. She is like my favorite pair of scissors. I know all the sandwich recipes by heart. I love how I can just fold her up and move her to the side when I am working. Big Shot can be a space hog if you work in a tiny area. All paper crafter's work in a tiny area, lol. You know most of us are guilty for strewing our paper and supplies everywhere. ! When my Cuttlebug goes to Cuttlebug heaven I will buy another one.

I know I wasn't a help. Both machines are really great. Big Shot for a sturdy workhorse. Cuttlebug for portability and space saving.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzfanView Post
Ref. a previous comment, the larger Big Shot Pro is manual, not electric.

I have a regular Big Shot and an electronic Vagabond (non-digital). Both are great machines that will easily cut craft materials up to 1/8" or so. The Big Shot is sturdier than the Cuttlebug and it doesn't present any of the Bug's accessories fitting issues. The BS will accomodate nearly all mainstream dies that fit through a 6" opening. Basically, you can't go wrong with Sizzix.

Thank-you for clarifying that, I did not realize! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Thanks Everybody

Wow! What a good response. Was confused from the different names of the Sizzix machines, but now better educated on the difference. Thanks for the information, helped me make up my mind that Miss Cuttlebug can be a back up, and the Big Shot is the way to go. Now, have to make up my mind on whether it's the Vagabond or the Big Shot or Big Kick. Decisions, decisions........ Do all the adapters needed come with the Big Shot or Big Kick, or will I have buy additional plates?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Another vote for the Big Shot here. You won't regret it. I have a Big SHot and a Big Shot Pro. Another advantage in purchasing a Big SHot is you can purchase the Magnetic Platform which is fabulous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Is the magnetic platform used for keeping dies from slipping around?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Big shot,i use mine on practically every card i make . Love it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The newer Big Shot and the Vagabond need the Thin Die Adapter in addition to the plates that come with the machine if you plan to use thin metal dies-Spellbinder's, Framelits, etc.

My CB was my first 'big' purchase when I started papercrafting. I received a Big Shot and the Vagabond as gifts from my DD & DSIL. Just recently replaced my Big Shot because it 'froze' and I couldn't turn the handle. I use it for almost every card I make. My CB is my back up but it can't accommodate some of the wider embossing folders that I have recently purchased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by dowaadittyView Post
Is the magnetic platform used for keeping dies from slipping around?
Yes it is.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

A Little Birdie Told Me

My mind is made up, now the fun part begins - shopping for the best price! With the holidays around the corner, hopefully there will be good prices somewhere on Black Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #17  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Depending on budget and personal preference, of course, but I would recommend the Vagabond.

I have the Vagabond and Bigshot and love them both.

I got the Bigshot when they first came out and that machine is a real workhorse - it's wonderful. One of the main reasons I chose the Bigshot over other machines was its ability to cut through the thick materials that I frequently use. I used it faithfully until the entrance of the Vagabond into the market.

When the Vagabond came out, I was able to get all the benefits of the Bigshot without having to crank a handle which is not so easy for me, so I enjoy using the Vagabond more than the Bigshot because it's just the touch of a button - sooooo easy to use.

Now my Bigshot is my backup machine in case my Vagabond were to break ::gasp::. Also, if I have a sandwich that's a tad too thick for the Vagabond, the Bigshot might be an option.

I just got the Sizzix magnetic platform and used it in the Vagabond (awesome!!) and you don't need to use the thin metal die adaptor with the Sizzix magnetic platform.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 10-27-2013 at 05:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Is the Vagabond as sturdy as the big shot? And, does it take up less or more space?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #19  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Sturdy:
I cannot say I think one is more sturdy than the other - they are both 'workhorses'. I will say that if I'm doing something with a thick sandwich, I ALWAYS use my keys that come with the Vagabond to ensure the sandwich won't damage the Vagabond machine.

Size:
From Sizzix.com:
"The Vagabond Machine measures approximately 12 1/2" x 4 5/8" x 9" (closed) and 15 1/4" x 12 1/2" x 10 1/4" (with handle up and doors open)".

"The Big Shot Machine measures approximately 14 1/4" x 12 3/8" x 6 5/8"."

You might want to go out to Sizzix.com and get the details on both machines if you're interested in them:
Sizzix.com - Sizzix Big Shot Machine Only (Powder Blue & Teal)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Took your advice and checked the machines out at Sizzix, and think the Big Shot/Big Kick is probably the choice, even though they say all machines do the same thing.

I've notice that Michaels and JoAnn's have a 50% off coupon for this week, but haven't found them in the stores when I check online. Makes me wonder if they even carry the machines in the stores anymore. That would be a terrific buy if they did. Have to check that out, and get an early Christmas present. Wouldn't think it to be a bad thing if I bought myself an early Christmas present...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

I know that my Michaels keeps the die-cutting machines up front and behind the checkout counter, so you will probably have to ask one of the employees for it. They sometimes have an empty box for one on the top shelf in the aisle with the dies, but sometimes not...so definitely ask someone if you don't see one. I believe Joanns does the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I had to ask at Michael's if they had a Big Shot or Big Kick since none were on the shelf when I got mine. The employee got me one from the back room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Read your coupons. I think JoAnn's now will not let you use their coupon for die cutting machines and accessories plus other brands/items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

If you can wait - keep an eye out for on-line sales. JoAnn's had a big kick bundle for 29.99 a couple of weeks ago. One day only but it was only 39.99 the following day. I bet they do similar deals as it gets closer to the holidays. And yes, I was among the enabled for that deal. Big Kick and 6 embossing folder for $30! Sweet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Lucy, you got a sweet deal! Going to check online at Joann today!!!

Crafter4life, I did check out the coupon at Joann, and it says it excludes papercrafting machines.......

I have noticed that Michaels has a sale on papercrafting machines and cartridges - buy one get one 50% off! That's too tempting to pass up. Wonder if they would apply the 50% off on the machine instead of the cartridges....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I think stores usually take the 50% off on the item that cost less.

Do you know someone that is also looking for a Big Shot/Big Kick? My LSS had a Halloween sale last night and was selling the Big Kick for 50% off. A few weeks ago Tuesday Morning Club had the Big Kick for $30. There might be sales like this coming up for Veteran's Day or the holidays if you can wait.

Try googling Big Shot. You'd be surprised what places have them as online items only. Sometimes, you can order online and save on shipping by picking it up at a store near you. (I.e. Walmart, etc.) I think sometimes even Costco sells papercrafting items around the holidays-Cricut machines, paper cutters, etc.

Good luck - you won't be sorry!

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 11-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Correct spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I have had a Cuttlebug for several years and love it! My SU demo has a Big Shot so when we have Stamp Club we use that. They do the same thing. I personally don't think one is better than the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCatsView Post
I have had a Cuttlebug for several years and love it! My SU demo has a Big Shot so when we have Stamp Club we use that. They do the same thing. I personally don't think one is better than the other.
I totally agree! I have both machines as my old Bug wasn't cutting one of my newer dies properly and was advised by my LSS to get the Big Shot - it made absolutely no difference, same performance .

If you have lots of spare storage space, you might want to go for the BigShot as it has a larger platform which is more stable for making up the 'sandwich'. If you're short of space, then I'd stay with the Cuttlebug as it folds up neatly for storage. Both my machines perform the same when it comes to cutting and I still reach for my Bug more than the BS as I find the sandwich for cut/emboss with spellbinders dies more economical (one tan mat instead of 2). As you already have a Bug you can keep your old plates as spares too without having to invest in new plates, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Something I thought of, I came across it on Pinterest a while ago, may help with the poor die-cutting. This lady removed all the imprinted paper, and flattened out her plates by baking them.
I posted the link a few days ago, in THIS THREAD, , and stamphappy1650 tried it out, and it dose work.
Here's the link from Pinterest: Flattening 'bug plates

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 11-03-2013 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCatsView Post
I agree 100%! I'm sooooooo sorry I blew the $100, thinking I would have less trouble with Big Shot warping cutting plates and/or fiddling with cereal-box shims.

I too baked my cutting plates yesterday, by the way, and wrecked the first one by not closing the foil completely and not noticing that the Pyrex dish I used for a weight did not have a completely flat bottom. Next time I will use a cast iron frying pan as a weight because it needs more weight than I used on the second plate. The baking helped, but the plate didn't completely flatten. I LOVE that I now have a way to avoid buying new plates! Thanks again, Shaz!

Another by the way, you might read elsewhere that the plate you use on the bottom of the sandwich will stay flat, so you should always use the same one. I was surprised to find that is not the case.........the bottom plate warps long before the top one, if you keep using the same one on the bottom. I wonder if that's because I followed the advice, on another thread, to put the cutting edge of the die down, when using the magnetic platform, even though the instructions on the platform say the cutting edge should always go up. Why would they print that on the platform if it were not important? The instructions that came with the Cuttlebug also said to always put the cutting edge of the die up, and some of my first dies have labels on them that say to put the cutting edge up. I suspect it matters and perhaps would keep the plates from warping. Do YOU always put the cutting edge up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dowaadittyView Post
I have a Cuttlebug machine that is about 7-8 years old. Dies aren't cutting in the center quite well, so thinking - what about a new machine.! Unsure though about the Big Shot. Seems to be different kinds available. In comparing the Cuttlebug with the Big Shot, which one do you prefer? And exactly what is the difference in the Big Shot machines that are available now?
My Big Shot is less than a year old and "some dies aren't cutting in the center", so your Cuttlebug is, was and always will be just as good as the Big Shot and take much less space besides. But I know not everyone shares that opinion.

Maybe the best deal of all is a Silhouette Cameo? Or do parts on that have to be replaced often too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
My Big Shot is less than a year old and "some dies aren't cutting in the center", so your Cuttlebug is, was and always will be just as good as the Big Shot and take much less space besides. But I know not everyone shares that opinion.

Maybe the best deal of all is a Silhouette Cameo? Or do parts on that have to be replaced often too?
Silhouette Cameo you have to replace the blades. The blades are pricey and not environmentally friendly. You have to replace the whole blade housing and not just the blades. I made my own custom blade holder because of that.

The cutting strip does wear down in time so that needs to be replaced. The mats need to be replaced from time to time even if you restick your mats. The mats will wear out eventually.

Not knocking on the Cameo. I do love mine a lot. A lot of us that do own electronic die cutters have the money saving tricks up our sleeve for replacing things on our cutters. The parts do need to be replaced often.

Side note- I have never had to replace a cutting strip on my machines. I know a few users have. I included it in the replacement part.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both a Big Shot and Cuttlebug. Actually on Cuttlebug number FIVE! They are real workhorses but I truly wear them out! It is my fav of the crank machines because it is so compact. My gripe with the Big Shot is that the multi purpose platform is awkward when its open. I also love the Ebosser and Cameo. All for different reasons. I still have a Slice and Grand Caliber too.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have both a Big Shot and Cuttlebug. Actually on Cuttlebug number FIVE! They are real workhorses but I truly wear them out! It is my fav of the crank machines because it is so compact. My gripe with the Big Shot is that the multi purpose platform is awkward when its open. I also love the Ebosser and Cameo. All for different reasons. I still have a Slice and Grand Caliber too.
Blessings
The platform is a big con for the Big Shot. I think it is awkward. I took out the screws in mine and took it apart so it would be more like the Cuttlebug plates. That helped a lot. I am really impressed you have owned five Cuttlebugs. That is true love.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes of all my machines it does appear to be the favorite!
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes