Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Die Cut Machines - enlighten me, please!

I hate to admit this, but I don't know very much about die cut machines. I don't the difference betweet a cuttlebug, wishblade and a sizzix. All I know is that some (or all) take cartridges and the cartridges very expensive. I'd hate to buy a cartridge for 1 die that I really like and not use the rest. Seems kind've wasteful.

Call me crazy! I'm wanting a die cut machine that I can hook up to my laptop, design the image and send it to the machine. Is there such thing?

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I believe the wishblade will do what you are wanting to do.. but it costs quite a bit.

I have a Big Shot and I love it. But I can only use dies made by Ellison or Sissix etc.. in the sizes they already have. Nothing from the computer.

good luck with your search.
Liz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my Cuttlebug, Cricut and Sizzix...Yikes...way too much stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have had the sizzix for a year now but i know my DH just got me a cuttlebug for christmas both can use eachothers dies in the machines... My sizzix is being handed down to my mom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Okay, I've done a little research....

There are 2 die cut machines that I'm kind've interested in but still need to do more research because they are expensive! Then then again, if Cuttlebug cartridges are $45 and the machine is around $300, these are expensive after all and your limited to their designs. Correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'm new at this!

Wishblade - cost around $440
can cut any shape, picture or image, no cartridges needed

Creative Cutter - cost around $475 and can go up to $675
can cut any shape, picture or image, no cartridges needed, but you can purchase credits to downline 1000's of images from website. One image may cost 2 credits.

If you have one of these, let me know what you think. Off to do more research!

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I want to have the same capability as you too. I did lots of research and at the time, it just didn't seem like the Wishblade was going to take off. I kept hearing a lot of chatter about the Cricut and watched the online demos. I found it to be much more cost effective than the Sizzix, especially when you consider all the options you have for cutting with each letter/shape. I have since found lots of cartridges at Walmart and Ebay for much less than craft stores.

What finally sold me on the Cricut was that the machines will soon have the capability to cut custom shapes. I just liked the idea of also having the option to not have to create all of my own die cuts all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefaniewilliamsView Post
What finally sold me on the Cricut was that the machines will soon have the capability to cut custom shapes. I just liked the idea of also having the option to not have to create all of my own die cuts all the time.
I think that's where the Creative Cutter would come into play. You can still download all the images/dies by deducting your credits online. Only pick those that you want and not end up buying a buch of cartridges for only 1 image/die. You can still create your own as well. It also uses the true type fonts on your computer. So for example if you wanted the Walt Disney font, download it for free from any font website, and there you have it. How much would that font cost for other die cut machines and could you find it?

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

For those of you that have the Wishblade, will it cut thru SU's cardstock?

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

You are talking about apples and oranges. There are traditional die cut machines. these are the apples. These are the ones that you have to buy dies for not cartridges! some can cut everything fabric to fun foam to metal to cardstock and paper. Depending on the type of die. These machines include the Sizzix, Cuttlebug, Big Shot, Big Kick, ZAZ, Spellbinders, Quickuts and others. These are basically manual machines run by your own muscle power.
Then there are the electronic computer type die machines. These are the oranges. These cut vinyl, cardstock and paper. They may or may not need a computer to work. Cricut and Cricut Expression are made by Provo Craft. These require cartridges. Zyron makes one and I'm not sure about whether it needs cartridges of not. There is the Wishblade made by Spellbinders. There is also one called the Silhouette by Quickuts. This is like the Wishblade and you need to hook it up to your computer. You can use fonts and clip art the you already own and you can purchase and download images form their website. Of all the eletronic machines, I think that the one I would like to get, eventually, is the Silhouette.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Okay, according to this link, Wishblade is by Xyron.

//www.xyron.com/enUS/Categories/Xyron_Wishblade.html

Maybe Spellbinders is a division of Xyron or vice-versa?

Haven't heard of Silhouette, but I'll do some reading. So far, I'm thinking either Wishblade or Creative Cutters.

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I am sorry about the wrong info on the Wishblade. I just seem to have the Wishblade and Spellbinders linked in my head, somehow?! I saw the Silhouette on QVC for the first time. Go to the Quickuts site and you can find a lot more info on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 03:34 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

The wishblade and silhouette are made by the same company (robocraft) and basicaly are the same machine just different software. The silhouette can download images by quickutz. Check out the yahoo group wishblade, they have all th info you are looking for if you are looking into a cutting machine. I have the silhouette and use it all the time for cutting alphas, any font any size, there are also alot of free files people have generously uploaded. I have gotten some great state outlines, titles and scalloped shapes, which I can make any size! There are some software options where you can make any shape you want this comes with the wishblade. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 05:07 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

If you want an electronic type of cutter I would highly recommend Pazzles. I was at Memory Trends (trade show) in September and they have introduced a brand new Pazzle machine. It is top of the line in new technology, you can even use it with Vista.
I believe it will be a couple of months before this newer version is ready for retail sales.

If you can't wait that long, then go for the Pazzles on the market now, it's a great machine!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Is Pazzles the maker of Creative Cutter? I'm kind've confused as to who makes what now. I ask because...

http://www.pazzles.com/

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipperView Post
Is Pazzles the maker of Creative Cutter? I'm kind've confused as to who makes what now. I ask because...

http://www.pazzles.com/

Yes, Creative Cutter is by Pazzles, I'm sorry! I always call it Pazzles out of habit!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimInIowaView Post
Yes, Creative Cutter is by Pazzles, I'm sorry! I always call it Pazzles out of habit!

Kim

It's okay, I'm studying this closely because of the expense. I'm trying so hard to justify spending the money!! Which Creative Cutter do you have and what are you using it for? Hope you don't mind the questions cause I really appreaciate the answers!!

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I actually have the Wizard and love it, I don't have an electronic cutter. I have seen the Pazzles in action and if I were to buy one, that is the way I would go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

There's a new cutter that's made by Pazzles and it'll be on the market in 2008. You can pre-order direct from Creative Cutters and they'll ship it to you. No taxes but there is a shipping cost of $35. The cutter is called Inspiration and cost $599. That's steep, but it cuts thru 110 lb cardstock and the thicker chipboard. Okay, so $635 for a cutter is some serious money!

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I have the KNK Element (cuts up to 8.5 x 13"). I LOVE it. I have tried the KNK original (cuts up to 13" wide by however long your mat is). It comes with two blades and you have an option of buying a third blade. The first blade is for cutting lighter material (I use it to cut bazzill cardstock and it works great). The second blade is for heavier material like really thick cardstock, fun foam, thin chipboard, basically material just under 1/16" thick. The third blade (brand new) cuts thicker chipboard (still has to be flexible. I am cutting 1/16" chipboard with my second blade in 4 passes and it works great however I would like to get the new blade because it cuts in less passes (pass=number of time the blade goes over shape). The software was fairly easy to figure out. You can make mats, weld shapes and letters, import clipart images and so, so much more. The program comes with over 3000 images and 1100 fonts plus you can use any dingbat or font you download from the internet. (There are so many free ones out there I have hardly spent extra money on shapes or fonts).

I have used both the Cricut and the Cricut Expression. I do not regret my purchase of the KNK instead. No cartridges to buy, access to unlimited fonts and shapes. I chose whatever size I want to cut and away I go. Plus, I can fit as many as I want onto my page without wasting space. Flip, rotate, whatever I need to do to make my title or image work.

My suggestion is if you have the money go for the KNK. The support group is wonderful too. Any questions I have had have been answered right away and the customer service is wonderful. I am a very happy customer (I do not work for or have any relation to anyone at KNK). I am simply a satisfied customer willing to recommend a great product. If you have any further questions about the KNK please feel free to email me at [email protected] You can see the machine at scrapbookdiecutter.com, it is made by Accugraphic (I think).

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2007, 05:10 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a quickutz and zippie mate and I like them...they have their place. But Cricut has opened up a new world for me!

Can you really cut vinyl with it? Where do you get the vinyl?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Default Cricut to cut custom shapes?!?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefaniewilliamsView Post
Are you kidding me?!?! Do you mean the current Cricuts, or a new one they're coming out with? Do tell! Do tell! I'd love to have that capability!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Ditto everything Barb says below. I have the KNK Element also and love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbubbaView Post
I have the KNK Element (cuts up to 8.5 x 13"). I LOVE it. I have tried the KNK original (cuts up to 13" wide by however long your mat is). It comes with two blades and you have an option of buying a third blade. The first blade is for cutting lighter material (I use it to cut bazzill cardstock and it works great). The second blade is for heavier material like really thick cardstock, fun foam, thin chipboard, basically material just under 1/16" thick. The third blade (brand new) cuts thicker chipboard (still has to be flexible. I am cutting 1/16" chipboard with my second blade in 4 passes and it works great however I would like to get the new blade because it cuts in less passes (pass=number of time the blade goes over shape). The software was fairly easy to figure out. You can make mats, weld shapes and letters, import clipart images and so, so much more. The program comes with over 3000 images and 1100 fonts plus you can use any dingbat or font you download from the internet. (There are so many free ones out there I have hardly spent extra money on shapes or fonts).

I have used both the Cricut and the Cricut Expression. I do not regret my purchase of the KNK instead. No cartridges to buy, access to unlimited fonts and shapes. I chose whatever size I want to cut and away I go. Plus, I can fit as many as I want onto my page without wasting space. Flip, rotate, whatever I need to do to make my title or image work.

My suggestion is if you have the money go for the KNK. The support group is wonderful too. Any questions I have had have been answered right away and the customer service is wonderful. I am a very happy customer (I do not work for or have any relation to anyone at KNK). I am simply a satisfied customer willing to recommend a great product. If you have any further questions about the KNK please feel free to email me at [email protected] You can see the machine at scrapbookdiecutter.com, it is made by Accugraphic (I think).

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I am getting the robo on Tuesday and hope to get the KNK next year sometime. Can't wait!

I didn't want to deal with the cartridges and for my business I needed the abilities of these 2 machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Bumping to see if any one has Inspiration made by Pazzles? Tell me what you think!

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a comment. It's amazing to see just how many die cutting machines there are on the market. I've never heard of some of these. Sometimes I think it depends on which area of the country you live what ones are more widely advertised. Sometimes I feel like I live in a closet and only know 2 or 3 different machines. Some are very similar, but then many are very different.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I have both the CraftRobo (maker of the wishblade) and KNK. I bought the CraftRobo before the KNK became available. It's a great machine at a good price, but it only cuts 8" wide paper. It also doesn't cut SU paper in one pass. Because of this I bought the KNK. It's wonderful! It can cut thicker materials (like chipboard), and my machine can cut up to 13" wide. They now have a KNK Element, which is a smaller version of my KNK. If I was going to buy a cutter today I'd go with the KNK Element. It will probably do everything you want, and it's a great price for what you get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

I just got a Qk Silhouette, it's a craftrobo also. I haven't had time to use it much but so far, I love it. It's on sale, I got it at scrapbuggy.com they had a good deal, they change weekly. I like never having to buy cartridges.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

What an informative thread! Thanks to everyone who is posting. I never knew there were so many different machines out there (she says, as her Cricut machine sits in its original box in a closet).
Reply With Quote Likes