Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat gun query!

hi ya all
i'm in Australia and i am trying to work out the difference between the ranger heat gun, that Tim uses, and the new heat gun out by stampin up, with two heat settings, are they anything alike?? the stampin up one is it a softish blow strength or is it just flat out like the old one? cheers for the help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know anything about the SU one, but the Tim one is the one I have. Seems like a gentle sort of blow to me (far gentler than my old blue one), very quiet too. I've had it for about 5 years now and its still going strong (says with fingers crossed). I'd definitely get another when this one finally dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Okay, I'll give you the other side, the SU one since I don't have the TH one. The new SU has two settings, the first setting is really soft blow and the second is a little bit more, both are still VERY quiet. I find that I warm up my heat gun in the air for 10 seconds then take it to my paper, it starts melting embossing powder immediately. The 10 second rule isn't needed, just what I do, I like to see instant results!
I had a big pink one before getting the new SU one. I like that the SU fits in my hand better, it has a slimmer design, more comfy to me. If I was embossing several things at one time, my hand would become fatigued as I used my old gun, not with the SU gun. And I think my kids, husband and cat appreciate that the new SU is quiet!!!!!! My big pink one sounded like a jet plane taking off!!!
I like the cord length on the SU one as well.
I think my old one has such force that sometimes it did blow a little bit of embossing powder off my design, I would get a speck here and there. Probably not noticable to anyone but me, but I notice that the SU is nice and slow and steady and I have not had that problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Lol @ binkiemonstermom! Your old gun sounds like mine was- the main reason I replaced it was my craft room was opposite my sons bedroom, and he worked nights! I didn't dare try & use it when he was trying to sleep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #5  

I was amazed at the difference! I guess because the pink one was my first one, I had no idea. I would go to emboss and DH would shoot my a dirty look and turn up the tv....in the OTHER room!!! With the SU one, he doesn't even know I am embossing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #6  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Yea - it's like all the noise we used to make hammering eyelets - yikes :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

thanks ladies, i knew about the SU one, just not in as much detail so thank you for that, now i just need to able to compare it to the TH one, hopefully someone can help me out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would also love to hear a comparison of the two. I am thinking about getting a new heat tool. I have had the Marvy for 10 years. It sill works, but since I have been taking Tim's classes, Chemistry 101 and 102 and hear him talking about his heat tool, I have been thinking about mine and what it lacks. It is very loud and does blow my EP around if I am not careful. It gets so hot I can't hold the paper and the paper blows around even when I try holding it down with some tweezers.

But he has said that it takes a while to melt EP and that is my main reason to use one, but now that I am going to do more with distress inks, I would really like to use a tool to dry my paper without warping it too badly or getting it so hot it burns.

So far the new SU tool sounds perfect but would love to hear more on the two of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Disregard - I answered a question that was not asked LOL (don't judge) ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I would also love to hear more about the th one. I have the gliterry purple one that's been around for a hundred years (perhaps a slight exaggeration) and while it embosses great, I feel it overheats my mixed media projects and warps them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvoreeView Post
hi ya all
i'm in Australia and i am trying to work out the difference between the ranger heat gun, that Tim uses, and the new heat gun out by stampin up, with two heat settings, are they anything alike??
I can't comment on the different heat settings, but did want to mention that the Ranger heat guns that I've seen available in stores locally come with an American plug - so if you do buy one you'll need to also purchase a plug adapter to use it in our Australian power points.

Ranger may make a heat gun with an Australian plug, but I've yet to see one. Having attended Tim Holtz's class in Australia last year, he said he'd be seeing if Ranger could get their heat tool made with an Australian plug to distribute within our country as he was surprised that there wasn't anything like their tool here. Just something to consider if it comes down to a matter of cost or convenience between the SU and Ranger tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Not having an SU one, I can't compare, but my TH one, the white Heat It tool, is very, very quiet. Doesn't have variable speeds, just on/off. I find it ok for everything I use it for- heat embossing/ UTEE/drying ink/shrink plastic etc. Had it for about 5 years now, still going strong. Not too much blow to it either. Would definitely replace it with the same tool when it finally gives up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvoreeView Post
hi ya all
i'm in Australia and i am trying to work out the difference between the ranger heat gun, that Tim uses, and the new heat gun out by stampin up, with two heat settings, are they anything alike?? the stampin up one is it a softish blow strength or is it just flat out like the old one? cheers for the help!
Heat guns have changed, according to SU Customer service. SU reduced their wattage 50 degrees. I forget how much Ranger reduced theirs, but I bought both to compare and returned the Ranger because SU was faster and hotter. I can't think of a reason for the two settings. But I now have to watch carefully for the embossing powder to melt because it takes much longer than it used to. Don't throw away your old heat guns until you're sure you like the replacement!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 526 Likes on 237 Posts

Meg brought up my pet peeve with my older heat gun (besides how loud it is) and that's the warping of the paper.

Do either the SU one or the Tim one solve that problem?

I am like Michelle in that I always allow the heat gun to "get hot" before pointing it at the paper, and I keep it moving, and I don't overdo things and overheat. But the paper warp is still an issue. Not terrible, but it's there.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the Chemistry 102 class TH said that he doesn't use the Ranger heat tool for embossing because it takes too long for him. He instead uses a paint stripper that he got at a home improvement store. He said that the Ranger tool is actually a diffuser and better for drying. He uses it all the time for drying inks etc. I do not have either but have the old SU heat tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Meg brought up my pet peeve with my older heat gun (besides how loud it is) and that's the warping of the paper.
Fionna, the new guns don't solve the warp problem, but it depends on the paper and how wet it gets before drying, I've noticed. For instance, I spilled coffee on a shimmery paper and permanently warped it. But all other cardstock warps at first then dries flat, if all I've done is melt the embossing powder. I'm a technique junkie so fool around with things like shaving cream and ink, which always warps the paper alot and scares me, but then it flattens out when dry and cool. I've never had to iron cardstock to get it flat.

TH is a crack-up genius, using a paint stripper for quicker embossing. GREAT idea! I'm off to get me one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
. Don't throw away your old heat guns until you're sure you like the replacement!!!!!
Good advice! Don't throw your old one away, full stop! Keep it as a spare. I had one heat gun, one of the long blue ones- very noisy- and it died on me half way through making some wedding stationery. Sheer panic to get another one quickly. When I bought my Ranger one because I'd seen it in use, and was impressed with how quiet it was, I put my old noisy one in a drawer. I've always got a spare to get me out of trouble now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I have to say that I've owned a number of different heat guns and by far my Ranger "Heat It" is my favorite.......it's quite and I've NEVER scorched anything using it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ranger Heat Guns

I bought my Ranger Heat Gun almost a year ago (Dec. 2012). It doesn't get hot enough to emboss with. Ranger told me that they've had a problem with manufacturing and eventually they lent me one of the "older" guns from their craft studio. When they get a good batch of heat guns, they'll send me a new one.

What makes no sense to me is....I see them for sale in stores...so do they not work properly also? I can't get a straight answer on that. So, I'm still waiting for a brand new heat gun that will actually heat up enough to melt the embossing powder. I will say that the gun is very quiet. And, at least Ranger is willing to replace it...some day!

mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the previous SU gun and I sure wish it was quieter! I have to warn DH in the next room when I use it. Thought about the TH one, but I like almost instant results too, and that's interesting about their bad batch and the reduced wattage in newer heat guns.
Reply With Quote Likes