Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Memories Precision Paper Cutter

I was looking at the MM Precision Paper Cutter ($49.95) in Michael's today. Does anyone have it? Does it cut straight? I understand the Tonics are good, but I really do not want a guillotine cutter. I appreciate any input on the MM. Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It does cut straight when you line everything up properly with the ruler and /or hold the paper firmly, but what I don't like about it is that the edges at the top and bottom aren't meant to be used as a "fence" to line the paper against. I have mine set up with the magnetic ruler to cut regular cardstock in half. That's about all I use it for. I think they could redesign it so you could use those atop and bottom edges. Other paper trimmers are that way, why not MM?

I also have and like the Tonic, but since it's a guillotine I miss having markings on the right side of the blade. When I need those measurements I haul out my Fiskars portable with the swing arm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Got one and love it!!! Especially now that you can order parts for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Had two MM cutters and HATED them (I thought the first was just a lemon, so bought a second with the same problem). The absolute worst noise when they cut--a squeal that I couldn't get rid of, no matter what I tried. Called MM to complain and they didn't care one little bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2View Post
Had two MM cutters and HATED them (I thought the first was just a lemon, so bought a second with the same problem). The absolute worst noise when they cut--a squeal that I couldn't get rid of, no matter what I tried. Called MM to complain and they didn't care one little bit.
It was posted on SCS you can put a small drop of oil (like sewing machine oil) on a cloth and runn it along the underneath section of the clear plastic lip. Solved the squeal mne had. It has been some time since I "treated" the problem but that is what I believe I did. You may be able to find the thread on here but it probably goes back a year. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the MM trimmer and love it. It's my favorite of several trimmers I've used. I especially like that the blade is self-sharpening. I've used mine steadily for a couple of years and the cuts are still crisp and no shredding at all.

You do have to line up your paper on the grid and hold it firmly with your left hand while you run the blade down with your right. This doesn't bother me and I like the straight cuts.

I think I am the one who posted a while back about how to get rid of the terrible "squawk" that the blade housing makes when it slides along the bar. My grown son was here and heard it one night,and told me to put a drop of 3-in-1 oil on a paper towel and run it all along the bar where the blade slides.

Magic - no more noise. I also found you can use a little bit of Pledge furniture polish sprayed on a paper towel and it works as well.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 606 Likes on 248 Posts

I loved mine the first few weeks. Then the measurement lines started rubbing off and making smears on my paper. Then the paper guard snapped off and I threw it away.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I love mine as well! Just the fact that its a self sharpening blade for me is a big plus! Add MM's great customer service and the simple fact that its sturdy and cuts straight. Fabulous! I even bought one for my sil for her birthday and she loves it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by needtime2scrapsoonView Post
I love mine as well! Just the fact that its a self sharpening blade for me is a big plus! Add MM's great customer service and the simple fact that its sturdy and cuts straight. Fabulous! I even bought one for my sil for her birthday and she loves it too!
About the MM customer service - I give them an A+. A while back, some of the trimmers were defective, and the grid marks faded away after several months of use. The first MM trimmer I had was part of that defective batch.

I no longer had my receipt, and didn't have much hope of getting any help, but I emailed MM and filled out an online form about the problem. They didn't even ask me to return the defective trimmer, but sent me a brand new trimmer in about a week!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the MM trimmer as well and love it. I've been using mine for a couple years and its cuts nice clean edges and straight. The self-sharpening blade is the oustanding feature of this cutter. I don't even consider trying other cutters now that I have this one. And as Buggainok said, all you need to do is take a little all purpose oil (like sewing oil or WD40) on a paper towel and run it on the bar that the blade housing runs along and the squeal will stop. No worries about it getting on your paper because it doesn't touch the paper or the platform at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I loved mine the first few weeks. Then the measurement lines started rubbing off and making smears on my paper. Then the paper guard snapped off and I threw it away.
Mary Beth
If any of you have this trimmer and have the problem of the numbers and lines rubbing off, all you need to do is contact MM's customer service and they will send you a new one FREE! The new ones no longer have this problem by the way...I have had mine for 2 years and LOVE it...the only thing it doesn't do well is cut 1" strips and less...

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I love mine. I've also had it about 2 years. It is still as sharp and cuts as straight as when new. You do have to use the grid rather than the edge of the cutter, but if that's the only con to ensuring perfectly straight cuts, I'm ok with it. I agree with the other poster that it is not good for cutting less than 1 inch, I have a smaller trimmer for that. All in all, I'm very happy with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Default I have it and don't love it

as mentioned above, you can't put your paper against the top of the cutter if you want it to be straight. But I will have to say, once you put that magnetic ruler down, your paper doesn't move, so if you have it straight to start with, it cuts straight. I also have the Genesis and it has never failed me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Have it and love it! No more crooked cuts, no more ragged edges!
Reply With Quote Likes