Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Poor woman's DreamBox?

I just moved into a new home and am setting up my craft room. I never paid much attention to the Scrapbox/Dreambox before, but now I'm kinda getting obsessed!

That said, I'm not sure I'd actually buy one. I already have some pretty good stuff: a beautiful wooden desk with three drawers and room for shelves, an Ikea EXPEDIT, and a piece of countertop that's pretty large.

So I'm wondering if there are any hacks some of you use for organization. I do several different crafts and I tend to go from one activity to another. But I'm kind of disorganized. Like, I have paper in about 4 or 5 different places/boxes. I have short items in tall plastic boxes. I keep my stamp pads in a container IN another container.

Open to any and all suggestions!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

No particular advice, just a general comment: I HATE drawers as a rule (black holes where things disappear a good deal of the time), but I found a tower of drawers that are only 1 1/4" deep, and they are my favorite thing ever! Perfect for two layers of inks, or one layer of embellishments, or paints, chalks, tools (not bulky ones like heat guns or crimpers, but lots of others fit), so that's one thing to possibly consider. I'm a fan of going vertical over spreading out, as well, so shelves that are adjustable to accommodate whatever I want them to hold is another thing that I like. My gallery has an album with photos of what I'm talking about if you're interested in checking it out to get some ideas: Member Gallery - Page 1 - Splitcoaststampers.com

Happy new home, and good luck with the craft room set up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the good wishes! Wow, what a great room you've got there. Those drawers are perfect.

Curious about these black holders that you have your paper in. I can't read the name on the label: Cardstock Storage by gregzgurl - at Splitcoaststampers

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
No particular advice, just a general comment: I HATE drawers as a rule (black holes where things disappear a good deal of the time), but I found a tower of drawers that are only 1 1/4" deep, and they are my favorite thing ever! Perfect for two layers of inks, or one layer of embellishments, or paints, chalks, tools (not bulky ones like heat guns or crimpers, but lots of others fit), so that's one thing to possibly consider. I'm a fan of going vertical over spreading out, as well, so shelves that are adjustable to accommodate whatever I want them to hold is another thing that I like. My gallery has an album with photos of what I'm talking about if you're interested in checking it out to get some ideas: Member Gallery - Page 1 - Splitcoaststampers.com

Happy new home, and good luck with the craft room set up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks! Those "black holders" are these: Storex Book Bins. I got mine on clearance at Walmart after the back-to-school sales, but they're the same thing, looks like to me. I have spiral notebooks and composition books and things like that in them, too - very handy, and easy to pull off the shelf to access what I want. You can interlock them but I didn't.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

Sue...I LOVE that taller cabinet with the shallow drawers that you have.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is this gal who made her own DIY Dreambox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I've been searching for DIY ScrapBox and finding some impressive videos (including the one above). I know some companies make inserts for the Expedit so I'm looking into those.

Basically, as my interests grew, I bought all kinds of plastic containers from different sources, in different sizes. Part of what I like about ScrapBox is the uniformity of the containers, as well as the idea that you can move the shelves around inside the unit and reconfigure it. Adjustable shelves are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m actually selling my Scrapbox! I really like it but have outgrown it and my hubs is building me my dream room but he’s also a woodworker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Hi--Sending you a PM!

Quote:

Originally Posted by janfoselliView Post
I’m actually selling my Scrapbox! I really like it but have outgrown it and my hubs is building me my dream room but he’s also a woodworker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

No matter what storage you use, I have found that if it isn't organized in a manner that makes sense and makes it easy to put back, it won't work. I have gone through the Getting Organized Challenge by Totally Tiffany a few times and it makes it so much easier for me to actually find and use my things. She sells a lot of things, but you do not have to buy any of them for the method to work and the classes are free to view online. Another thing is that you can apply it to many kinds of crafts, not just paper crafts and they have a Facebook Group that is a wealth of useful information. Get Organized Challenge - Get your craft supplies organized with Totally-Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsayersView Post
No matter what storage you use, I have found that if it isn't organized in a manner that makes sense and makes it easy to put back, it won't work. I have gone through the Getting Organized Challenge by Totally Tiffany a few times and it makes it so much easier for me to actually find and use my things. She sells a lot of things, but you do not have to buy any of them for the method to work and the classes are free to view online. Another thing is that you can apply it to many kinds of crafts, not just paper crafts and they have a Facebook Group that is a wealth of useful information. Get Organized Challenge - Get your craft supplies organized with Totally-Tiffany

You are certainly right, and I think there is a lot I can do on my own without even buying any new boxes or containers. I will check out the Tiffany site(s). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 05:05 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Sounds like you might have already gotten the box so I am just saying..While I see the coolness of a scrapbox (and I am very impressed with how handy/creative she is**...I personally am looking at the smaller hand drill since I am a tool freak) ...I see it as a choice when you don't have a lot of room. If you are going to have a dedicated room...I personally would probably not do it. Unless you need the room to multi-task for you. You will lose space because you have to leave clearance for the box to open.

** Did I not see a man with the toddler sitting off to the side in the first vid where she is assembling the shelves? I believe in using all the assets around...including a second pair of hands. LOL I know-she wanted to show one can do it alone. Just sayin

I agree. You have to be honest with yourself about what works for YOU-not what looks pretty or works for other people cuz they are not there to use it right? Maybe drawers are good or maybe open uprights are good. Some people dont want to see anything and some people want to see it all.

When doing a whole room...i always suggest people get a roll of brown paper. Cut pieces to the dims of the furniture you want to put in-or how deep wall shelves would be and lay them on the floor. Just because you can fit stuff in a room...you can suddenly feel very closed in because there is not a lot of room in the middle. Doing it on graph paper is ok for a start...but not the same to me as actually what it will be in real life. Three feet might sound like enough room for your middle...till you are in it. (ie the room is 8 feet wide so after the units on the wall...) I might push around chairs to the boundaries to get an even better feel for the clearance. Also may help you to decide colors. I would go with white or pale woods unless my room is pretty darn big.

You can fit a small store worth in a room, but if you feel like it is a cave in the bad sense and you are not happy in it...you wont work in it.

Given that you mention you want to do multi crafts....I would likely go with a main table in the middle. Then I would have Craft A on this wall, Craft B on that wall, etc. This way no matter which one I am doing I have the table in the middle. Giving each space it's own table would take up a lot of room. But it depends on how you work. If you want to work on different things at the same time...maybe then you want to keep a box or something you can put the active project in...put it over in the card section, pull out the action box for your quilting and spread out on the table...if that makes sense? As it is, you may HAVE to have dedicated clear spaces along the wall for storage of a sewing machine, die cutting machine, etc.

Also look at your sockets in the wall and plan how you will have electric to both run things and have spot lighting if you have overhead or all your lighting if you dont. Will you need to have heavy duty power bars and where will they go?

Lastly I would not have a rug in there. I like smooth surface floors for cleaning. I am not fond of the idea of my big vac being full of glitter or brads etc. Just me.

I hope it comes out fabulous!

Last edited by wavejumper; 03-11-2020 at 05:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Sounds like you might have already gotten the box so I am just saying..While I see the coolness of a scrapbox (and I am very impressed with how handy/creative she is**...I personally am looking at the smaller hand drill since I am a tool freak) ...I see it as a choice when you don't have a lot of room. If you are going to have a dedicated room...I personally would probably not do it. Unless you need the room to multi-task for you. You will lose space because you have to leave clearance for the box to open.

** Did I not see a man with the toddler sitting off to the side in the first vid where she is assembling the shelves? I believe in using all the assets around...including a second pair of hands. LOL I know-she wanted to show one can do it alone. Just sayin

I agree. You have to be honest with yourself about what works for YOU-not what looks pretty or works for other people cuz they are not there to use it right? Maybe drawers are good or maybe open uprights are good. Some people dont want to see anything and some people want to see it all.

When doing a whole room...i always suggest people get a roll of brown paper. Cut pieces to the dims of the furniture you want to put in-or how deep wall shelves would be and lay them on the floor. Just because you can fit stuff in a room...you can suddenly feel very closed in because there is not a lot of room in the middle. Doing it on graph paper is ok for a start...but not the same to me as actually what it will be in real life. Three feet might sound like enough room for your middle...till you are in it. (ie the room is 8 feet wide so after the units on the wall...) I might push around chairs to the boundaries to get an even better feel for the clearance. Also may help you to decide colors. I would go with white or pale woods unless my room is pretty darn big.

You can fit a small store worth in a room, but if you feel like it is a cave in the bad sense and you are not happy in it...you wont work in it.

Given that you mention you want to do multi crafts....I would likely go with a main table in the middle. Then I would have Craft A on this wall, Craft B on that wall, etc. This way no matter which one I am doing I have the table in the middle. Giving each space it's own table would take up a lot of room. But it depends on how you work. If you want to work on different things at the same time...maybe then you want to keep a box or something you can put the active project in...put it over in the card section, pull out the action box for your quilting and spread out on the table...if that makes sense? As it is, you may HAVE to have dedicated clear spaces along the wall for storage of a sewing machine, die cutting machine, etc.

Also look at your sockets in the wall and plan how you will have electric to both run things and have spot lighting if you have overhead or all your lighting if you dont. Will you need to have heavy duty power bars and where will they go?

Lastly I would not have a rug in there. I like smooth surface floors for cleaning. I am not fond of the idea of my big vac being full of glitter or brads etc. Just me.

I think you may have eluded to it, but when decided how things will fit in a room, the footprint is not the only thing to keep in mind. Remember such things as how far out a drawer or a door will open and be sure to leave ample room for that as well as reaching and getting out what inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 05:54 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964View Post
I just moved into a new home and am setting up my craft room. I never paid much attention to the Scrapbox/Dreambox before, but now I'm kinda getting obsessed!

That said, I'm not sure I'd actually buy one. I already have some pretty good stuff: a beautiful wooden desk with three drawers and room for shelves, an Ikea EXPEDIT, and a piece of countertop that's pretty large.

So I'm wondering if there are any hacks some of you use for organization. I do several different crafts and I tend to go from one activity to another. But I'm kind of disorganized. Like, I have paper in about 4 or 5 different places/boxes. I have short items in tall plastic boxes. I keep my stamp pads in a container IN another container.

Open to any and all suggestions!

Besides my chest of shallow drawers to keep stamps in stacked two high in see-through plastic boxes, my other favorite storage idea is using plastic guttering attached to the back of my stamping room door to store ribbon/cord. I used to try it in drawers, on dowels, using plastic boxes on a shelf, but this is the greatest. I've attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Poor woman's DreamBox?-ribbon-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 05:54 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

My home is my workshop. I haven't limited myself to one designated area for crafting since I do too many. My dining room is my office area where there is no dining room furniture. I have 2 ikea desks and printer stand and the built in wall unit is for reference material and office supplies. The den is split in half with another 2 ikea work stations for sewing area, tall 5 shelf metal unit for fabric and 6 unit cubicle unit for addition supplies and sewing/decor reference books. The other side of the den has a table used for painting and other wet mediums along with small storage unit for stencils, paints and gel plates. As for the spare bedroom, it too has 2 ikea work stations. On one I have paper cutter, laminator, and foiling supplies. The other side of the room is my work station for card assembly. I keep my BigShot and accessories on 2 wooden TV trays that at butted together next to table on the left side and a smaller 3 shelf wire rack on the right side for project materials. That room also has a metal 5 shelf rack for storing more paint supplies, 12x12 pads, mediums etc. In addition to a larger 9 unit cubi where I store more reference materials, specialty paper, books, etc.
It works for me and I luv it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
My home is my workshop. I haven't limited myself to one designated area for crafting since I do too many. My dining room is my office area where there is no dining room furniture. I have 2 ikea desks and printer stand and the built in wall unit is for reference material and office supplies. The den is split in half with another 2 ikea work stations for sewing area, tall 5 shelf metal unit for fabric and 6 unit cubicle unit for addition supplies and sewing/decor reference books. The other side of the den has a table used for painting and other wet mediums along with small storage unit for stencils, paints and gel plates. As for the spare bedroom, it too has 2 ikea work stations. On one I have paper cutter, laminator, and foiling supplies. The other side of the room is my work station for card assembly. I keep my BigShot and accessories on 2 wooden TV trays that at butted together next to table on the left side and a smaller 3 shelf wire rack on the right side for project materials. That room also has a metal 5 shelf rack for storing more paint supplies, 12x12 pads, mediums etc. In addition to a larger 9 unit cubi where I store more reference materials, specialty paper, books, etc.

Wow! What a wonderful set up. I totally understand why you love it. We have 3 extra bedrooms. One is my craft room (mostly stamping and sewing), one is a guest room and the other is a workout room that gets little use now that my hubby belongs to two gyms and I need little space for my routines that are not outdoor things that I can now do nearly all year round. Am thinking of commandeering that one for more crafting space...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Heart Looking on the sunny side of this!

Quote:

Looking on the sunny side of this, this set up keeps you from being shut away from anything else going on in the house too. I have a desk set up in our bedroom, but it wasn't enough space to work--the kitties like to perch on my paper cutter in the window too & venture onto my desk.... I set up an old desk in the living/dinning area where it would fit, & craft there too. It just depends on what kind of work I'm doing, If it is cold in one room or too hot in the other, & where certain supplies are, as to what desk I work at. But, I DO LOVE the desk set up in the living/dinning area! Better lighting, larger space on desk to work, & I keep my "messy" supplies on a Taboret that I can roll around as needed. ONE DAY, I will have my own "craft room," & I'm SURE will love it though!!! LOL A DREAM right now!!!! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Besides my chest of shallow drawers to keep stamps in stacked two high in see-through plastic boxes, my other favorite storage idea is using plastic guttering attached to the back of my stamping room door to store ribbon/cord. I used to try it in drawers, on dowels, using plastic boxes on a shelf, but this is the greatest. I've attached a picture.

I like how you used the door for storage of your ribbons.
I limit myself to a couple of clear shoe storage boxes which are tucked in a cubi hole.
Some of my clear stamps are filed in a storage box, that is overflowing at the moment. But I started unmounting my red rubber wood mount stamps to catalog them in binders instead storing them in drawers and forgetting about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964View Post
You are certainly right, and I think there is a lot I can do on my own without even buying any new boxes or containers. I will check out the Tiffany site(s). Thanks!

Hobby Lobby carries some of her products but not all of them. If you have one in your area check them out. I picked up the cardboard 12x12 paper organizer boxes, set of 5, at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon for less than $10. They also have the 12x12 tabbed dividers (set of 10) but they're asking $19.99. I passed on them since I save 12x12 chipboard from paper orders and the backs of paper pads. I created my own tabs for them and slipped them in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
Looking on the sunny side of this, this set up keeps you from being shut away from anything else going on in the house too. I have a desk set up in our bedroom, but it wasn't enough space to work--the kitties like to perch on my paper cutter in the window too & venture onto my desk.... I set up an old desk in the living/dinning area where it would fit, & craft there too. It just depends on what kind of work I'm doing, If it is cold in one room or too hot in the other, & where certain supplies are, as to what desk I work at. But, I DO LOVE the desk set up in the living/dinning area! Better lighting, larger space on desk to work, & I keep my "messy" supplies on a Taboret that I can roll around as needed. ONE DAY, I will have my own "craft room," & I'm SURE will love it though!!! LOL A DREAM right now!!!! ;)<3

Check out "Where Women Create" book and Stampington has a
magazine if you haven't already. Those publications inspired me to set up my home to suit my lifestyle and interests.
https://www.google.com/books/edition...C?hl=en&gbpv=0
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Check out "Where Women Create" book and Stampington has a
magazine if you haven't already. Those publications inspired me to set up my home to suit my lifestyle and interests.
https://www.google.com/books/edition...C?hl=en&gbpv=0

I actually heard Jo Packham speak, years ago at an art retreat. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Nope, have not bought the box! Our home actually has a second kitchen, across a small hall/landing area from my craft room. It has a set of cabinets that don't have much in them, and a sink. Our pets live in that room, and I plan to use the cabinets for stuff I don't use all that often (or I'll get rid of the stuff!).

I do have a very nice desk and a countertop/table. The table is centrally located, and I'm thinking of using pegboards to store some of my tools. So that would help with the multi-craft issue.

One thing I'm not used to: Being in a separate room, on a separate floor, with a closed door. My last craft room was the dining room in our old house. I had a wall of bookshelves, a central table and the IKEA Expedit. I was right next to the kitchen and could work in there as well. Our new house has several more rooms and my craft room is upstairs. It seems weird to be away from my husband while crafting. Maybe I will get used to it. I am thinking of getting a table for the dining room that can also be used as a crafting table. Then I can carry stuff downstairs if I need to, in a tote or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Paper storage

I use a 3 drawer filing cabinet for my 8 1/2 X 11 paper. Using file holders and a sheet protector labeled with the color paper in front of the paper for the extra pieces. FYI, I buy only Stampin Up solid color paper. They are filed alphabetically in each color collection (Subtles, Neutrals, Brights, Regals and current Incolors) in the top 2 drawers. The retired is filed in the bottom drawer.
I like my paper in the file cabinet because they are out of the light, which doesn’t discolor the edges. I have a lot of windows in my craft room. When I first started making cards had my paper in purchased stacked shelves on my wood shelves my husband made for me. This also freed up my shelves for my stamp sets and other things.
I don’t have a lot of wall space because of my windows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Absolutely Jeanne! Very good point about leaving clearance for drawers and doors! I missed that.

wow...Bohodiva!!! You dont have a craft room...you have a craft house!!!!
I cant decide if I am really jealous or not because I have given up all the other crafts...but just the idea....years ago I would have been so so thrilled to do that. It clearly makes you happy so now I am happy for you!
Reply With Quote Likes