Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

So, I am sitting at my stamp table today, gluing down card fronts, and I look up at the box holding some of my card stock.

I see the top of the new heavy stock michaels white card stock. And in front of that is my old pack of michaels white heavy card stock, a few pieces sticking up above the other papers.

Sitting there looking at it as said to my self, "when did I buy light grey card stock".

I get up at and look at that new pack of card stock, that sucker says WHITE on the front of the package and made in TX!!!!

Seriously!!! I bought that card stock over 2 weeks ago, paid cash and tossed the receipt. Not even going to try to return it, too much fuss and and there is always the chance refund credit will be less that what I paid with the 40 % off coupon.

Very upset along with the rest of you.

When I decide how I want to word my complaint, I will email Corporate.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #42  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to Michael's yesterday with a 50% off coupon. I went immediately to the cardstock section. I was able to find one 110lb white CS made in the US behind 3 packages that were made in China. I checked the black 110lb and there was a few US packages behind 3 made in China - so look BEHIND any that are up front in case they have old stock at the back.

I also noticed most of the smaller colored cardstock packages are now made in China. It's kinda of sad that they have changed the manufacturer. I am from Canada but would still support products made in the USA over products outsourced and made in China. Things will never get cheaper in the US if products are continuously brought in from other countries. Keep the people working - they make money - they buy products. Lay off people - they have little money - they don't buy as much stuff.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Okay, so this Canadian gal finally got to check out my Michael's 110 card stock situation.

Bummer, they too carry the 110 Made in China, but the shimmer paper still made in U.S. guess its still old stock. Glad I got a ream this winter of the good stuff. I had a nice talk with store manager, and showed him a package that had been opened and put back (smart cookie).there is definitely a big difference. I explained the situation and laid it on thick that it was already on the Internet "Buyer Beware". He was quite interested and I also explained that no one could get any responce from anyone about the switchover.
I said jokingly that it was like buying your fav brand of jeans and they were not the same in any way.......still expected to pay the higher price for cheaper quality......

Not this customer who told him I had already gone across the street to Staples for their #110.

I will check ak with him to see if he keeps his promise to investigate... lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2016, 03:48 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

The M's near my job had 2 packs of the white made in the USA. I was going to get both of them, but they would have been too heavy for me to carry. I was traveling on the bus from Manhattan, and I would have had to carry them for about 5 blocks, along with my heavy tote bag and shoulder bag. I'm going to go back Monday to see if the other package is still there. They might also be replenishing their stock with the older stock, because these packs weren't on the shelves last week when I checked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

We may have been heard finally. I last posted that I had discussed this with one of the associate managers last Friday at Michaels here in Canada.

I was back in the store today and WOWZERS..... All the 110 card stock was gone. I spoke with another manager and asked about this explaining that I had spoken with an associate about this issue last week and he was going to follow up.

This manager was not aware but was going to follow up as the had a direct line to people who handle this type of thing. He wondered if perhaps they had just sold out......lol

I assured him I was a regular customer and they have always had these on hand, and the only 110 still on the shelf like last week made in the U.S. was the shimmer cs, all the rest were empty.

He said It could be that Michaels heard the complaints and stopped shipping the Made in China 110.... we can only hope, but I am going to stay on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Lately I've been seeing the USA packages in the 2 M's where I shop. I've been stocking up for my BFF & myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

I am sure this is not the case, but would not surprise me if the "new" 110 was merely the regular 65 # weight being passed off as the good stuff. ....Intentional or by accident. Can anyone who purchased the new stuff compare it to the regular 65 and let us know.....just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #48  
Glitter Guru

Actually, I made an error. I bought the ones made in China. My mind has been somewhere else lately (my brother is very sick), and I'm not thinking clearly all the time. I'm going to keep the ones made in China and use them anyway. I don't think the recipients of my cards will notice anything unusual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #49  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaBabeView Post
Call me cranky, but I would be marching that opened pack right back to where I bought it, along with the sample from the last pack and demanding my money back.
I would also take it back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #50  
Mad Swapper

I've been using the Recollections 65# for cutting files on my Silhouette Cameo and was afraid that maybe the new ones made in China would not cut properly, so Friday I picked up a pack of it in black and did some test cuts using my Cameo and also using my Brother ScanNCut 2 and it cut like butter............SO relieved!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkieMomaView Post
I've been using the Recollections 65# for cutting files on my Silhouette Cameo and was afraid that maybe the new ones made in China would not cut properly, so Friday I picked up a pack of it in black and did some test cuts using my Cameo and also using my Brother ScanNCut 2 and it cut like butter............SO relieved!!!
Good to know!! So apparently the only problems are the white is not the shade of white it was and it is not good for paper flowers that need to be misted before shaping

As I said I mist my CS before I shape the flower petals and even with a very light misting the fibers raise and flake off.

I also found the colors bleed badly if it is misted. I laid a petal on a piece of paper towel , misted it and turned it over . When I lifted the petal the paper towel was stained pink . I never had that problem with the USA Recollections nor with Bazzill Basic, Joann's Paper Factory or SU card stock .

So if someone plans to just cut shape with it then it should be OK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #52  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Im not sure what the weight of the HL heavy weight is but its great !
Another vote for this Hobby Lobby paper . . . it's nice and thick and makes a great card base.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #53  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I rushed right out to HL on Thursay. All I could find was the Paper Studio white. It didn't seem heavy at all. It didn't say the weight. I didn't see the pkg with the banner.
There is definitely two types of this Paper Studio paper. The one I like says "heavyweight" on the label. I believe it may only be available in fewer, more neutral colors, like white, black, craft, where the lighter weight paper is available in more colors.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2016, 04:39 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Geez, I am just seeing this thread now. I have been a huge fan of the Recollections paper. I have loved using it and don't feel like I need to hoard it, like my PaperTrey white cardstock. I'll check my store for the original stock, but it looks like I may be too late.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #55  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

No good deed goes unpunished. I used some of my Recollections 110#cardstock to make the first 125 of 250 tags for a friend. She brought a new pack to finish the project and replace my stash. She is not a card maker yet noticed the difference as we worked to finish the project.

I tried coloring with pens and waterbrush. The "grey" was smoother and did not pill from the water but the colors were muddy. I would rather have vibrant true color and be careful with my water than the mud. Another stack down the drain as she is not a receipt keeper.

I will probably use it as laminated bases for stamp storage or file dividers.
Just an updated experience for what the info is worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

What bugs me the most, and this is putting it mildly. They actually have the nerve to leave the price the same for an inferior product. I wonder if anyone was so inclined to bring this to the attention of "who knows" to ask if this dishonest.

I would bet the answer would be " read the small print". BUT how many of us just grab the package that said "110 #" card stock. I guess they only understand customers walking with their feet to another supplier. The number of us that will no longer buy this will be small potatoes to them in the scheme of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #57  
Kookie Creator

Default 110#card stock

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
What bugs me the most, and this is putting it mildly. They actually have the nerve to leave the price the same for an inferior product. I wonder if anyone was so inclined to bring this to the attention of "who knows" to ask if this dishonest.

I would bet the answer would be " read the small print". BUT how many of us just grab the package that said "110 #" card stock. I guess they only understand customers walking with their feet to another supplier. The number of us that will no longer buy this will be small potatoes to them in the scheme of things.
In Buffalo, NY the price went up from $12.99 to $14.99. More than 15% for lesser quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be investing in some other card stock ... so disappointed to get this since I was so pleased with the 110 lb from Michaels ... :(

stamper at ❤

Stamps and dies for sale here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

A month or more ago Michael's had a sale on their 110# card stock. I bought the ivory and the black but did not buy the white because of the many reasons in this thread.
I received an email from Michaels asking me to comment/rate my purchase. I wrote that the cards stock was excellent and added that I was disappointed about the quality of the white and why. A few days later I received an email telling me my comments and ratings were denied. How is that for censorship? Just saying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have found a new one I am using exclusively now. Hobby Lobby now has Heavyweight cardstock in packages of 50 for 8.00. I buy 10 at a time when need, but only on sale for 50% off every few weeks. This is nice heavy base weigt that I have used for all the ivory cards in my galkery. They have ivory, white, blackmand several different mixed colir packages. Its 4.50 for 50 piece pack on sale. It was just on sale this week thru tomorrow but will be on sale again in a few weeks.
Good to know. Would that be the Paper Studio brand?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 AM   #61  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
A month or more ago Michael's had a sale on their 110# card stock. I bought the ivory and the black but did not buy the white because of the many reasons in this thread.
I received an email from Michaels asking me to comment/rate my purchase. I wrote that the cards stock was excellent and added that I was disappointed about the quality of the white and why. A few days later I received an email telling me my comments and ratings were denied. How is that for censorship? Just saying.
Thanks for sharing. We need to know that Michael's "reviews" are not true and not to be relied upon if they are censoring reviews about poor quality. I have come upon other companies that also do that and it is most disturbing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody have any good substitutes for the now flimsy 110lb white from Recollections? Choices that are available in Canada?

stamper at ❤

Stamps and dies for sale here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cards by caraView Post
Anybody have any good substitutes for the now flimsy 110lb white from Recollections? Choices that are available in Canada?
Staples do a 110lb in white in Canada, I got some a month or so back, and Walmart have the Georgia Pacific 110lb as well.
Reply With Quote Likes