Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 267 Likes on 112 Posts
Question Slimline Die Storage

Somewhere in my travels through too many websites, I thought I saw where someone had posted a hard plastic storage box for slimline dies. I can't find it anywhere now. Has anyone else spotted such an item? I'd think it would be helpful in keeping these giant dies flat.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Could this have been it? Jennifer McGuire uses this one: 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I am storing my slimline dies with their original packaging, right in with my regular sized dies. They stand up above the shorter ones, but since they are backed with cardboard, they won't get damaged. I store all my dies upright in clear storage boxes, in two filing cabinets right under my die cut machine. So far that seems to be working. I only have one set of nested slimline dies, but they are the same length as my border dies, which I store the same way.
Just an idea if you can't find slimline storage.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, sorry, my bad - I didn’t see “slimline” in the OP. Similar to Karen, all my dies are stored together, regardless of size. I only have one slimline set but have dies that are taller, and they just stick over the pouch. Some dies are quite tall so they’re in the back of the bin though hard to see in the photo. 

I use SSS 5” square pockets with white cardstock insert, and rarely use magnetic sheets since they add weight and bulk. Sample or extra die cuts are stored behind the cardstock. Identifying info is cut off the packaging and slipped inside.

But taller pouches could be used like the ones for stamps. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 12:01 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Same here, on storing my taller dies (such as borders and edges), toward the back of my bins. My slimline nested rectangles are just stored with the rest of my basic shape dies though. They simply stand taller than the rest. I use 5 1/2 x 7 1/2 clear storage envelopes for all of my dies and stamp sets. Larger die or stamp set are generally stored in their original packaging, and I just cut down the chipboard backing to allow it to pull in and out easily.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

The really tall and often wide dies that I put in the back are in a category called “Makes.” Those are dies that make things - like an odd geometric box. But regular somewhat taller dies go in regular categories. Some are behind the Frames category on the right and on the left the one that looks like a rabbit but it’s leaves. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Art Bin Storage Boxes

Depending on the size of slim card die collection there are ArtBin Prism Storage Boxes with 1 Compartment. 
I have several of them that I've had 15+ yrs and I still use them. The contents may have changed over the years but I still re-use them and they are very durable. I found them to be the perfect home for my collections of mini ink cubes, brush markers, watercolor pencils, gelatos, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,135 Likes on 512 Posts

My dies are on 8" x 10" magnet sheets backed with a letter size chipboard sheet, so the slimlines fit perfectly. Actually, I only have one set so far, and it nests together, so no issues over here. 
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
o. 

I use SSS 5” square pockets with white cardstock insert, and rarely use magnetic sheets since they add weight and bulk.

Funny, I use magnet sheets to SAVE from too much bulk. If my dies are in pockets without magnets, they all slip to the bottom so take up more width in the box. I also trace mine with a silver Sharpie so I can easily see if one is missing! They sure are heavy tho!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post

Funny, I use magnet sheets to SAVE from too much bulk. If my dies are in pockets without magnets, they all slip to the bottom so take up more width in the box. I also trace mine with a silver Sharpie so I can easily see if one is missing! They sure are heavy tho!

If it’s a big set, they could double up. If it was a really huge set - thinking of a couple of Tim Holtz ones - I’d need two pockets and two magnetic sheets.

But for most sets - and of course single dies, ha - the dies aren’t on top of each other. Maybe that’s partly because the SSS pockets are fairly stiff so they don’t pooch out as much as most pockets would - like the type I use for stamps. The Simon ones are sterner pockets. ;)

Just the flavor that works for me. I also use a small auto parts dish if I need to dump them out so they can’t escape. My infinity dies are on magnetic sheets. 
Reply With Quote Likes