Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default spectrum noir markers!

https://www.lakeside.com/Books--Craf...navAction=jump
lakeside.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,848 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Did you purchase these markers? They look a lot different than the ones I own.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

i just ordered them. ive ordered from them in the past & theyve been good
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Markers

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativechbdcraftsView Post
I have a full set of the regular spectrum noir and I have been disappointed with receiving dry markers and no refills available and reordering another marker of same color and have it be totally different. Also Nuba wearing out very fast. What a waste of about 500 dollars or more. ( in my opinion). Maybe new generation is better but I am probably not going to find out
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
gascrapper (03-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2021, 06:28 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post
I have a full set of the regular spectrum noir and I have been disappointed with receiving dry markers and no refills available and reordering another marker of same color and have it be totally different. Also Nuba wearing out very fast. What a waste of about 500 dollars or more. ( in my opinion). Maybe new generation is better but I am probably not going to find out
I agree with you. I invested in almost the entire set of SN markers. About a half dozen of them arrived dry or nearly dry. I ordered a few refills for the colors I really liked, and the refills dried out too after a few months. Some of the color groupings are also way off, and it's taken a lot of experimenting and researching to find good combinations.

I've slowly been replacing the colors I use most frequently with Copics. They're more expensive, but IMHO worth it. I realize now that I should have sent them all back and gotten a refund from HSN at the very beginning.

It's the same way with their ink pads. I bought a set of their layering stencils, and they were bundled with 3 ink pads. I didn't want the ink pads, but I didn't have a choice. One of them was a pale blue, which I actually liked a lot. It completely dried out after a few months, and they don't sell reinkers for the pads. SMH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Spectrum noir

As far as ink pads go the frugal crafter has videos on how to revive if ink pad is dried but not used up. I think it is glycerine and water combo.
I bought a air brush machine that is for markers. Came with adapter for spectrum noir. I am going try that with dried out ones that I did not buy refills for and refill with Adirondack alcohol closest to color. I am not throwing good money after bad so I also will be buying copics to replace. Can’t believe company is coming out with more markers when they don’t stand by their sub par products. I won’t buy any ink product from them again. I waited a long time to get these and was so excited to get them (it was hard justifying spending so much on markers. )I hardly use them because it is not easy to get pretty results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativechbdcraftsView Post
I just checked these out and it appears they are not Spectrum Noir markers, but just the case if Spectrum Noir. The markers are Premiere by Nicole which is a different brand. When it was was originally listed on the website, it called them Spectrum Noir markers with case, and one of the reviews warned that they are not Spectrum Noir. Then it looks like they have re-listed it to leave out the Spectrum Noir name for the markers, and yet they say they are Spectrum Noir in the description. Pretty misleading listing to me.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Spectrum noir

I do have the full set of an but not happy was figuring I would start buying copics. Then someone told me to try ohuhu first Very inexpensive but supposedly very good. Haven’t tried and not sure I want to spend more money on something that again might not work for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Spectrum Noir Markers

I also invested in the full set of Spectrum Noir after seeing Christina Griffiths in the UK recommend them. For the most part I have been happy with them. I am not an avid colourer so didn't want the expense of Copics. Those are for the experts!

My problem is getting refills for the ones that are starting to go dry. No one in Canada carries them anymore. I have ordered from Dick Blick in the US because he has a location in Pittsburgh and since my sister lives there I was able to send them to her and pick them up when we visit her. But now with Covid there isn't a visit there in the near future and I desperately need some refills for the colours I use the most. I tried ordering through Crafter's Companion and that was an absolute nightmare. I thought I was ordering from the US site but they just sent the order to the UK. When they finally did arrive in Canada our post office wouldn't release them because the package was damaged, so they issued me a refund. Then I tried ordering from Dick Blick to be shipped to Canada. The shipping etc to Canada was beyond horrendous. Almost doubled the price, so I cancelled that. Now I don't know what to do. I've looked at the Stampin Up blends but you can't refill those so all that plastic goes to the landfill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Refills

You can use a different brand refill close in color just put sticker on marker to remind you which ones you refilled. I had trouble getting refills here in us also. And some were half dried out when I received them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the full set of Spectrum Noir and I love them. But I get frustrated about lack of refills and having to order a package. I started replacing the ones that dried out with the closest Copic color. And supplementing the colors that are lacking with Copics. I was never terribly happy with the selection of greens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Spectrum noir

Greens also but It is the reds that are my least favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my sm pens apart and added 91% alcohol. They were useable for awhile. The large side seems to hold the ink better than the thin pen side. They were a waste from the beginning. But I just couldn’t chuck them so I have been playing with ideas.
I read where you put the nib in a bottle add alcohol and make your own spray with dried up ones.
Just last week I did a technique where I scribbled on vellum then tapped the areas with a paint brush - slightly stiff one is best-with alcohol and they blend. Since you are just scribbling color it doesn’t matter if it skips.
Attached Thumbnails
spectrum noir markers!-b4b123da-5bf0-4c21-af1b-4957bb2afe3f.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Greens also but It is the reds that are my least favorite
Oh, I agree about the reds. They're just too pink for me. I tried blending different colors to get a true red, or a deep red...but ended up just using a different brand marker for my red.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
I took my sm pens apart and added 91% alcohol. They were useable for awhile. The large side seems to hold the ink better than the thin pen side. They were a waste from the beginning. But I just couldn’t chuck them so I have been playing with ideas.
I read where you put the nib in a bottle add alcohol and make your own spray with dried up ones.
Just last week I did a technique where I scribbled on vellum then tapped the areas with a paint brush - slightly stiff one is best-with alcohol and they blend. Since you are just scribbling color it doesn’t matter if it skips.
Wow, that' such a beautiful effect and a gorgeous card. I have lots of vellum, from years back, so this is something I'll need to try.
I have added alcohol to my markers to rehydrate them when I don't have the refill as well. It lasts for a little bit, but seems like some of the markers need to be added to every session. Those are the original markers, which were defective and dried out too quickly. I was shocked that Crafter's Companion released such a poor product when they first came out, but the subsequent ones were better. Their quality control seems very lacking for such a popular company.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

I have the Spectrum Noir Classiques and I love them!! I recently got back into alcohol marker colouring and yes some of my pens were dried out but then again they are over 7 years old. I live in Canada and I order my Spectrum Noirs directly from Crafters Companion. They are the company that sells all the different lines of Spectrum Noir products. They have an American website that you order from but the pens are shipped from the UK. The cost of shipping is very very reasonable. Plus, if you join their club called Club Inspire you receive 20% off your first order, plus every order after that is 5% off and when you reach a new total it moves up with better percentages off. And the big plus is all the pens are able to be purchased individually. That IMHO is the cheapest way to go. The refills are pricey. Cheaper to buy the pen you need. HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Beautiful

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Wow, that' such a beautiful effect and a gorgeous card. I have lots of vellum, from years back, so this is something I'll need to try.
I have added alcohol to my markers to rehydrate them when I don't have the refill as well. It lasts for a little bit, but seems like some of the markers need to be added to every session. Those are the original markers, which were defective and dried out too quickly. I was shocked that Crafter's Companion released such a poor product when they first came out, but the subsequent ones were better. Their quality control seems very lacking for such a popular company.
Karen
Gorgeous card!
I have used the insides from old dried out water color markers mixed with 91% alcohol and soaked for several days to make ink for techniques but haven’t filled my markers with it as of yet. It is not as pigmented, but maybe I need to use less alcohol and more “marker guts”

Last edited by 3ddesigns; 05-11-2021 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Mistake
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried a variety!

Quote:

I do have the full set of an but not happy was figuring I would start buying copics. Then someone told me to try ohuhu first Very inexpensive but supposedly very good. Haven’t tried and not sure I want to spend more money on something that again might not work for me
I have Spectrum noir triblend a few copies and a set of 80? Ohuhu. I also have a set of Masters touch or some brand for Hobby Lobby. The Hobby Lobby one os all mid to dark range, so NOT what I’m looking for.
The Spectrum noir is great in that you get 3 colors lights med and dark. But they are not refillable, sort of dry anyway. The drawback on the 3 shades is that you stop thinking about the many colors that go into say a rose, so your flowers etc tend to look the same.
The Ohuhu are good products. I gather they are refillable from the Frugal Crafter, and find I gravitate to certain colors. If I go to Copic I will know what colors I use the most. But the best part of the Ohuhu is that they I think run about .50 a marker! So for about $40.00 you have a good assortment and haven’t broken the bank!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Has anyone tried using the Tim Holtz alcohol ink refill marker? I got it and have used it with gamsol, but I’m wondering if you can use this as your colorless blender.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by from the heartView Post
I have the Spectrum Noir Classiques and I love them!! I recently got back into alcohol marker colouring and yes some of my pens were dried out but then again they are over 7 years old. I live in Canada and I order my Spectrum Noirs directly from Crafters Companion. They are the company that sells all the different lines of Spectrum Noir products. They have an American website that you order from but the pens are shipped from the UK. The cost of shipping is very very reasonable. Plus, if you join their club called Club Inspire you receive 20% off your first order, plus every order after that is 5% off and when you reach a new total it moves up with better percentages off. And the big plus is all the pens are able to be purchased individually. That IMHO is the cheapest way to go. The refills are pricey. Cheaper to buy the pen you need. HTH!!
As I said in my post I tried to order from Crafters Companion and it was a nightmare. They couldn’t track it for a long time and then when it did arrive in Canada (via some Canadian postal facility in Switzerland) it was damaged and Canada Post wouldn’t release it. In the end CC just issued me a credit. I hesitate to reorder from them because of this experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Ohuhu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepita933View Post
I have Spectrum noir triblend a few copies and a set of 80? Ohuhu. I also have a set of Masters touch or some brand for Hobby Lobby. The Hobby Lobby one os all mid to dark range, so NOT what I’m looking for.
The Spectrum noir is great in that you get 3 colors lights med and dark. But they are not refillable, sort of dry anyway. The drawback on the 3 shades is that you stop thinking about the many colors that go into say a rose, so your flowers etc tend to look the same.
The Ohuhu are good products. I gather they are refillable from the Frugal Crafter, and find I gravitate to certain colors. If I go to Copic I will know what colors I use the most. But the best part of the Ohuhu is that they I think run about .50 a marker! So for about $40.00 you have a good assortment and haven’t broken the bank!
Do you have the brush or nib on the ohuhu? And do you think they are better then sn? Was thinking of ordering them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

The Ohuhu I have is chisel and nib. I think you can get the chisel and the brush depending on your preference. By the way, my few Copic markers are probably 10 years old and haven’t dried out!l
Better, I can’t say. I know I have about 15 of the tri blends and 3 of their regular markers. I just like the variety on the Ohuhu, I have no problem using them all together. The tri tips are 6 sided, to me a bit uncomfortable. But, the part I don’t like is that it is way to easy to use the dark end when you thought you were getting the light! The color of the pen is black in all sections, there is a little separator that’s color looks the same on at least 2 of the colors sometimes all 3.
Copic are a really expensive alternative. Since I am not being paid to make cards or sponsor a product, and don’t use them every day I am happy using the Ohuhu.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

Default Spectrum Noir

I was just looking at the sets of Ohuhu markers on Amazon. A couple of people had asked about buying single replacement markers. The response from the company was that they don’t sell singles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

These are refillable. You can buy replacement nibs etc. I think the frugal rafter did a program on this. However my 14-15 tri blend spectrum noir aren’t refillable. I can buy those individually. I can buy another set for what I could buy 6 Copic markers. At .50 a marker or there about I’m not worried about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Spectrum noir

I already have all spectrum noir and don’t like so I guess I have nothing to lose to get ohuhu. Copics are very expensive so I might just get the colors that are needed to fill in
Reply With Quote Likes