Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU foam ink pads

I am wondering if I should replace my old SU ink pads with the new (not so new anymore) foam SU ink pads. I really do like the better coverage of the foam pads.
It concerns me that they dry out so fast. It seems to me that the ink is not getting used up but is just solidifying in the foam pad. Is anyone finding that the longevity of the foam pads is not so good?
Can I use the Inksentials Ink Refresher on the SU foam ink pads?

Thanks for any feedback on this
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Not impressed with foam stamp pads

I only have a couple of foam pads and I'm not getting any more. The basic grey pad I got didn't cover stamps at all. When I stamped it looked all watery. It was awful. Stampin up sent me a replacement pad, but it wasn't any better. And I noticed a day or two ago that it was already drying out!! I've only had it a couple of months! So disappointed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My only complaint with the SU foam pads is some of them are dimpled or uneven so inking a stamp takes a bit of work. But I love the colors and for the most part get great inked images!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess my answer would have to be, "maybe." The thing is, the linen and foam pads each have their strong points.

I love the new foam for the way they ink solid stamps so well. Like summertart's experience, though, my Basic Grey has issues. Haven't found that with any of the other colors so far, though.

I kept all my linen pads, though, for a couple of reasons. They are much better for direct-to-paper techniques than the foam. The linen is just tougher than the foam, which tend to get gouged in spots. They also stay inked longer, since they can hold more ink and don't evaporate quite as fast.

So, a long-winded non-answer, lol! Sorry...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 863 Likes on 286 Posts

I have about a dozen of the foam pads. I got my first ones when they first came out and so far the only one I've had to re-ink is the black one but I used it direct to paper.I don't have basic gray so I can't help you there. If you use a lot of solid image stamps then i recommend the foam ink pads. If you stamp with mostly line stamps then you will probably be okay with the linen ones
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Truth be told, I still like the really old ink pads, the smaller ones with the hinge. I bought mine in 1998 and have reinked them only a few times in the past 16 years. Some of them are starting to curl but mostly still work well. The next style seemed to dry out constantly and I needed to reink almost every use. I do store them the way we were told. I also have ink all over trying to open and shut them. I have very few of the newest style so havent had much experience with them except that I can ink up an image and have it covered instead of darn near pounding it on the pad to get ink. I am going to try GinaK's pads to see if they work better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 460 Likes on 349 Posts

I much prefer the linen pads. I only purchase the new foam ones in the new colors because I have no choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I guess my answer would have to be, "maybe." The thing is, the linen and foam pads each have their strong points.

I love the new foam for the way they ink solid stamps so well. Like summertart's experience, though, my Basic Grey has issues. Haven't found that with any of the other colors so far, though.

I kept all my linen pads, though, for a couple of reasons. They are much better for direct-to-paper techniques than the foam. The linen is just tougher than the foam, which tend to get gouged in spots. They also stay inked longer, since they can hold more ink and don't evaporate quite as fast.

So, a long-winded non-answer, lol! Sorry...
I knew I didn't let go of my linen pads and jump on the foam band wagon for a good reason and you've listed some more! I am just too practical to spend more $$$ and it took my a long time to build up my ink pad inventory and wasn't about to start all over.

I do have a couple of foam pads because I've bought a few new colors.

I've use foam pads at SU classes that inked great and some that took just as much pressure and wiggling as the linen pads.

This was when they first came out and everyone was warning to just use a light touch, as they were so "juicy". Some stations I went to the foam pads were really wet and some were just the same as linen pads.

It was hard to know how heavy a hand to use on them and they didn't impress me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They seem inconsistent, some are way too juicy, others are dry in spots. I think the colors affect each one differently due to the dye ingredients. Remember the gold sheen that Riding Hood Red used to get?

About 2/3rds of my pads are the linen ones and I'm hanging on to them. They give a more subtle effect with sponging too. But the foam pads do stamp solid images way better.
Reply With Quote Likes