Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SU Simply Scored Tool

I haven't seen a thread yet for the SU Simply Scored Tool. I've read reviews of the Score-Pal and the MS Score Board in anticipation of needing one to make 150+ wedding invites for my sister, but now this adds a new option.

I found this blog review from a SU demo, that seems to be pretty comprehensive, and thought it may be useful to anyone else debating ordering it.

Simply Scored Scoring Tool vs Martha Stewart & Scor Pal Scoring Tools |

For others that already have theirs, any first impressions? Your thoughts in comparison to the ScorePal or the MS board? :confused:

I'm hosting a SU party this weekend and need to make a decision which one to get soon. The MS board has the price appeal, but if the SU tool is really "wow" then maybe I'll consider springing for that (although I don't anticipate using it much beyond these invites). Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. I just received my holiday mini yesterday and was debating. Honestly, I don't need it, I have both the sp and ms. But it is tempting.
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE my Simply Scored! I have never used a score board before and always relied on my Fiskers slide cutter or just folding card stock! It is precise, light weight, easy to use...love the storage drawer. I had some new customers drop in unexpectedly the other day...a friend had out of towners visiting...I brought out the simply scored for some reason and i now have three orders holding until September 1 for that board. One of these ladies was using it exclusively to measure all of my "moveable" cards to dupliucate once she got home. I offered a clear ruler but she said the board was som much easier and nicer to use with all the markings easy to see. I even made the fan fold wreath in the mini and it came out beautifully! I Love this new tool and will never regreat the $30!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't know anything specific about this tool but it is probably made by the same company as the MS one. Looks very similar. Of course, they did add some little extras - the markers, side storage compartment (MS storage compartment opening is on top), different style scoring tool (MS one is too thin and uncomfortable to use if scoring a lot at one time - IMHO), etc.

Have the ScorPal, ScorBuddy & the MS. Use the ScorPal & ScorBuddy all the time. Had to try the MS one but find the multiple scoreline too confusing (maybe this is why SU has the markers). I did run an different colored line using an UltraFine Sharpie for the most often used lines and this helped somewhat. Because of the multiple lines, the grooves are shallower and harder to keep the scoring tool in. I'm slightly in a hurry so must remember to slow down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

How about a review from somebody who is NOT selling the product?

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck.....it's probably the same scoreboard! (EKSuccess?)

The old "stylus" sold for $2.50 on page 196 of the old caddy, the new one sells for $4.50 because.....it has an "ergonomic" handle? Really?

It doesn't matter what tool you use with ANY scoreboard, with enough pressure, you can even slice through SU cardstock!

Last edited by Sew It Seams; 08-23-2011 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the newer Scor Pal and the MS one. I bought a Fiskars ergonomic stylus with a coupon to use with the MS board-her tool is way too flimsy and hard to hold for multiple scoring. I figure I don't need the SU board. They're all basically the same thing with different bells and whistles.

If you don't have a scoring board yet, SU's would be a perfectly good choice especially with extra hostess dollars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the MS scoring board, actually just purchased it a few months ago and love it! I used my Cutterpede and the scoring blade before this purchase so I'm rather new to scoring boards. However I don't use the tool that came with the MS board for scoring; I use a stylus, one I've had for embossing with brass stencils, works great!
What I do like about the SS is the color, although I won't be buying it since that wouldn't make a lick of sense
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not have any scoreboard. At least not yet. I am reading as much about each one as I can in hopes of making a somewhat educated decision. I am on the fence wavering between the Scor-Pal and the Simply Scored.

I REALLY like that MS scoreboard is affordable when using a coupon at Michaels. I also like that it comes with a little corner insert designed to help with making pointed top envelopes. But those are the only positives that I've read the board. Too many complaints about a flimsy scoring tool, jumping lines, etc. Those complaints--and because I just can't stand Martha's business practices--I think I'll pass.

The old Scor-pal is the tried and true, sturdy, well-respected, but lacking in lines for some updated projects such as making boxes and such. The NEW Scor-pal has addressed this issue and now everyone seems to be happy. From what I've read, the scoring tool is solid, the lines are deep enough to prevent jumping etc.

Then there's the Simply Scored: I like that it uses a metal stylus rather than a plastic tool. The little plastic markers are a SUPER COOL idea--especially for someone like me who will need a reminder of my favorite score lines. But I also wonder if they will be something that I will lose or will break off as I pack it up for crops. And yet, at the same price as the Scor-Pal, the Simply Scored shines a big brighter because the money I pay will go toward hostess credit.

I'm a lot like Sew It Seems, waiting to hear about the Simply Scored from someone who will not profit from its sale. Though I did find the found the following comment online from a Stampin Up demo that I thought was interesting:
"I tried the new scoring tool at my upline's meeting yesterday. I already own the original Scor-Pal and the Martha Stewart one. I hope it offends no one when I say that ours is not better than the ones I already own. Using the metal scoring tool, I slipped out of the groove with both the cards I was scoring. I'm not sure if it is because the metal is more slippery or if the grooves are not deep enough, I didn't have one of the others to compare it too. While I think the little markers are a neat idea, it seems more lightweight than the two I already own."
Here's the link to the above comment: new scoring tool - Stampin' Up! - AOL Message Boards

A little PS to the Scor-Pal producers: If the price would come down just $5, that would knock me right off the fence and into the Scor-Pal game!

Last edited by melissa59; 08-23-2011 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,199 Posts

You really can't beat the quality of the Scor-Pal, but I do wish it had the 1/8 inch marks all the way across because I am really "line challenged" when it comes to shifting. Maybe if it were 1/8 inch lines we would lose the great quality of the board, I don't know. And I don't need the 1/8" marks for most of my projects. It's just on those rare instances when I do, and have to pull out the ruler to get it right, that I dream of a Scor-Pal with 1/8" all the way across. And the Scor-Buddy is soooo terrific. It's just right for my cardmaking. I have never regretted the purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so torn on this. I just placed an order w/ my demo and will have to wait till the end of the year for another order so I guess I have time for some reviews.

I have the Scor-pal - original one - got it years ago and love it. So why am I considering a new one? Because I really want more score lines. I find I have to mark my paper with a pencil and then align the pencil marks to a score line and then slide it to the next pencil mark. Total pain when in a hurry - which I always seem to be when crafting

I don't get the score buddy cuz thats a smaller size and I use 12 x 12 alot for projects I score.

Andrea
Creative Sanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the MS one but have used the SU one as well. In my opinion, they are very, very similar. I am not tempted to get the SU one. One is enough (and the MS one was a lot cheaper!!!!)

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Martha Stewart one $19.00 with 40%off coupon at Mikes. Just saw the SU one to-day. Looks almost the same...but it's about $38.00 + 10% S&H + 13% tax! As far as I am concerned...no comparison... and not worth it just to get some extra little pegs and a ball stylus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 03:28 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
I have the Martha Stewart one $19.00 with 40%off coupon at Mikes. Just saw the SU one to-day. Looks almost the same...but it's about $38.00 + 10% S&H + 13% tax! As far as I am concerned...no comparison... and not worth it just to get some extra little pegs and a ball stylus.
My catalog says $29.95 so I am guessing your catalog must be Canada one? Just thought I would put this out there for others from US so they don't think ours is $38...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

So if I want a back up board with 1/8 inch markings you recommend the MS? I had one but gave it away when I got the SP because I didn't figure I would use both. Now that I know I would, I need to decide. The MS has an envelope tool with it...do I get that one or the new SS? I haven't seen a SS in person, so I don't have a visual comparison. ACM had the MS on sale for $14.99 last week, but if I hold out with a 50% off, I can get one at Michaels for $10. ACM's regular price is $24.99 compared to Michaels regular price of $19.99.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Your guess is correct. Aren't you glad you don't have to buy SU products in Canada??! LOL I personally think the MS board is the best one price wise and for the 1/8" markings. I use the envelope maker too and can use it for diagonal scores when I need them. The scoring tool is a little weaker but I have lots of ball stylus from my brass stencil days! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 858 Likes on 283 Posts

What I like about the SS and the SP (I don't own an SP but I've heard people talk about the customer service) is that the companies stand behind their products. You don't always get that with some companies.

If i got an SS and for some reason it broke within the first couple/few months I know SU would do everything they could to make it right. Same thing with SP. I don't have the same confidence in MS.

I currently have the MS board and have very few issues with my stylus (I don't use the tool that came with it-too flimsy) jumping the tracks. I think speed has a lot to do with jumping....you go too fast and it's going to jump :-)

I may or may not buy the SS. I like the idea of the markers-I've often accidentally scored in the wrong spot when I haven't paid enough attention to what I was doing :rolleyes:

Oh and the SS comes with a stylus. It's nice that additional stylus' can be purchased whether you use it with a scoring tool or for embossing or whatever. I will be getting one even if I don't get the scoreboard. Ergonomic handles make a WORLD of difference in hand tools. When I switched from "cheap" jewelry pliers to top of the line ergonomic ones I discovered my hands didn't get as fatigued as quickly if at all. There is a lot of merit in ergonomic tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Your guess is correct. Aren't you glad you don't have to buy SU products in Canada??! LOL I personally think the MS board is the best one price wise and for the 1/8" markings. I use the envelope maker too and can use it for diagonal scores when I need them. The scoring tool is a little weaker but I have lots of ball stylus from my brass stencil days! LOL
Yes! I once downloaded a flyer for a SU special and when I went to order it from my demo is was much cheaper! She said I downloaded the Canadian Flyer! Up until then, I had no idea there were differences in price. I have other ball stylus' too, so I'm not concerned about the tool. And I did own the MS scoreboard before, so I know what to expect with that one. Now that I am going to break down and buy one for the 1/8 markings, I just want to make sure to get the one that works the best. SU has great quality products, but SS doesn't have the envelope tool....so my problem is deciding if I need it or not...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just saw and used the new SU simply score tool, now I have to get one. I have the SP but do not use it much but I will use the SU one, really like it.

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, the scor pal is the best one. I own the MS one as well, but do not like it as much. The SU one is almost the same as the MS, they just seem flimsy.

I do not make many boxes, so the lack of scor lines on the scor pal is not an issue for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If your main issue is that you like the idea of the metal stylus, ANY embossing stylus will work with either the Scor-Pal or the Martha board. I've used my Fiskars embossing stylus on both boards and it works 10000% better than the tool that comes with Martha's board. (I happen to really like my Scor-Pal tool and have used it on tons of projects and haven't noticed it wearing down yet, but I tried the embossing stylus with it just to see how it would work.)

I like the 1/8" markings on the Martha board, and I like the envelope guide, but other than that it's Scor-Pal all the way. I haven't tried the SU! board and since i'm happy with the ones I have, I have no plans to add to the collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wore my score tool right down on my scorpal so I switched to my fiskers ball stylus. It is a lot smoother than the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I bought Martha's about a year ago and that's the one I'll stick with! I'm sure SU's is great too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking at getting MS from Mike's. And using a coupon to get it.

I just need to wait till after labor day to get one. Then we will have money.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Default scoring tools

I have the original Sp and LOVE it, but I've been thinking about getting the newer one so I could have the 1/8" grooves. What I need to know is whether or not the Scor Mat fits on the SS. I love the mat and use it for every project as my work surface. Anybody know about the mat?

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Going to Michaels today and hoping there isn't already a sale on MS stuff cause I have a 55% off which would make the board about $8.99...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Jutta-

The ScorMat does fit into the newer SP. The changes were to add new scorelines and a color change the overall measurements are the same. It is the same wonderful product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 483 Likes on 171 Posts

I really like the whole marker idea, so, since I don't have any score board yet, I'm getting the StampinUp one. I like the metal stylus. I use my old wood stylus for almost everything, always have at least 2 lying around. None of the local stores carry them anymore, so when I saw SU was not carrying it any more, I bought 6 of them. Ironically, my old standby one just broke, too much pressure from pressing down and the wood just snapped. I was happy to see the new stylus in the catalog and will get one asap.

I think SU products are high quality and like someone else said, they totally stand behind their product - that I like! I had a MS punch quit working 3 months after I bought it and the store basically said, "too long, too bad." I had a punch from SU almost a year that quit and they sent me a new one.

We are all one child spinning through Mother Sky. (Shawnee proverb)

My little blog: http://mypaperantics.blogspot.com/

My Webshots albums:http://community.webshots.com/user/stampinusa[/url]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

I picked up a MS for 55% off this morning. The Scor Mat is a bit smaller than MS surface in case anyone wants to know that. I will use the Scor Pal and Scor Buddy for almost everything. The MS is for those seldom times that I need 1/8" measurements. My brain cannot grasp the shifting thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Default Scor mat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Jutta-

The ScorMat does fit into the newer SP. The changes were to add new scorelines and a color change the overall measurements are the same. It is the same wonderful product.
But does the Scor mat fit the SU SS?

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,396 Likes on 1,171 Posts

There's a comparison between the martha Stewart and the scor pal on a site called crafting with Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Scor-Pal's mat is slightly smaller than the Simply Scored tool from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I have the newer Scor-Pal and the Scor-Buddy. I LOVE both of them and use them for all my scoring needs. I guess I am a Scor-Pal girl all the way, including their amazing tape.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I always "sharpen" my Martha Stewart scoring tool with my cardboard nail file that cost something like 50 cents. I've had no issues with it yet, but I do notice it wears down easily, so I just keep sharpening it!

I don't like the Scor-Pal scoring tool for scoring, but I use it for creasing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
I always "sharpen" my Martha Stewart scoring tool with my cardboard nail file that cost something like 50 cents. I've had no issues with it yet, but I do notice it wears down easily, so I just keep sharpening it!

I don't like the Scor-Pal scoring tool for scoring, but I use it for creasing!
I love Scor Pals tool. I use it on my MS board when I use it. I prefer Scor Pal and Scor Buddy for quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love my simply scored! I didn't think I needed a scoring tool, hmfph:-) I did and I love it. I'll be doing a video sometime after Sept 1 on my blog about it. I'll try to come back and link!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I love my simply scored! I didn't think I needed a scoring tool, hmfph:-) I did and I love it. I'll be doing a video sometime after Sept 1 on my blog about it. I'll try to come back and link!
Please do!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

I just got my SU score tool and love it! I had a MS score pad and hated it, it is now in the trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkearlView Post
I just got my SU score tool and love it! I had a MS score pad and hated it, it is now in the trash.
What's the difference between the SU score tool and MS? I just bought MS so I could have 1/8" measurements, but mostly use the Scor Pal. Since you had both the MS and SU, I thought you'd be the perfect person to tell me the difference! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Jutta-

Sorry, I didn't read your question completely. Yes, the ScorMat should fit in the new SU device since it has an open right side (similar to the MS one). You just have to 'butt' it into the upper left corner. It will not be 'locked' in place since it doesn't have the right side ridge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I admit I do not do much scoring. I just use the groove in my paper cutter to score. I have the stylus that I bought at Michaels with a coupon. I never thought to use it for scoring. It is now going to be my new scoring tool.
Reply With Quote Likes